PDA

View Full Version : Last day for someone to offer a trade for Mike Wallace

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2012, 09:18 AM
There's still a chance for a team to swoop in, literally at the last minute now to try and steal away Mike Wallace. If somebody does want his services, this is the day we were going to see it. After all the initial hype and frenzy about so many teams wanting him, many feel if an offer is going to come it would be on the last day. If Wallace is still wanting that $120+ million contract, nobody will come within a mile of him.

Just sign the deal man, if you have an ounce of sense in your head you know the Steelers will make good on their word to keep you on the team long term. Holding out is not the answer if you truly want to stay in Pittsburgh.

As the hours tick away on Mike Wallace's opportunity to sign with another team today, so too does the life of restricted free agency for drafted players in the NFL.

Wallace has until midnight to sign with another team or the Steelers retain exclusive rights to him. That would leave three choices for Wallace and the Steelers: Either he signs his one-year tender for $2,745,000, comes to terms on a multiple-year deal with them, or he sits out.

Either way, Wallace and those like him who were drafted and became restricted free agents after three years in the league are on their way toward extinction, thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players union.
The CBA, hammered out last year, mandates that starting with the draft class of 2011, all players chosen in rounds two through seven must sign four-year contracts; those selected in the first round sign five-year deals -- four years plus a fifth at the team's option.

Restricted free agency will be left only to those rookies who are undrafted. Because the length of their contracts are not mandated by the CBA, rookies can sign with a team for any negotiated number of years. If an undrafted rookie chooses to sign for three years, he will become a restricted free agent when his deal expires. - Ed Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/nfl-draft-time-running-out-for-wallace-632256/)

K Train
04-20-2012, 09:22 AM
we could still trade him, this is more teams last chance to steal him on an offer sheet

Nolrog
04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
we could still trade him, this is more teams last chance to steal him on an offer sheet

I was just about to say the same thing. After today, Wallace can either play for us on that tender or not play at all (though I don't think it will come to that.)

LatrobePA
04-20-2012, 09:57 AM
I kinda hope we trade him...

JoeSteelerFan
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
After making the statement that he feels he's due Larry Fitz type of money, most teams probably thing this young man as a serious drug problem.

..... just sayin'

steelspikes
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Obviously, Wallace is not as highly valued as a superstar which he and his agent seem to think he should be. Yes he is fast and one of the league's top deep threats, but the deep ball is not a major part of most offenses these days.
I doubt that under Haley the Steelers will take as many shots down the field. It's actually a rather low percentage play; but that didn't stop Arians from going to this well way too often,which is why he a and his 22 points-per-game offense is gone.
In 2012, Wallace will need to prove his value in terms of shorter routes, and in terms of how many yds. after the catch he can get. Antonio Brown may be better in those areas. Sanders is a bit of a question mark because of injuries.
It's a bit of a longshot, but would not be too oversurprised if Steelers use their 1rst round pick to go after Stanford TE Toby Fleener, to give them that Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham type of weapon. One thing is sure: Steeler Offense will be different in 2012. It has to become more potent if Steelers are to beat top teams: NE, GB, NO, etc.

LatrobePA
04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Haley is the crossing route guru, MW is too big of a puss to work the center of the field IMO..

K Train
04-20-2012, 12:22 PM
thats taking the dramatic stance on wallace. not nearly that soft, not even close

coldrolled
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
thats taking the dramatic stance on wallace. not nearly that soft, not even close

Im with K on this, wallace has a lot of catches crossing.. well as many as BA really didnt call.

Not sure if crossing routes, slants and timed routes were on BA's game cartridge.

Haley will have a whole new offense, wallce will play fine. I just would have liked the texans or broncos #1 pick...

LatrobePA
04-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I hope you guys are right, to me he seemed to want to lay down.

SnakeEyes43
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM

I would say Wallace is not that aggressive, more than he is "soft". He can take a hit and go across the middle, but he doesn't go after the ball very aggressively like other top-tier wideouts. That's my only problem with him, but then again, we were spoiled by Hines' aggressive nature and they are completely different animals.

Nolrog
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
After making the statement that he feels he's due Larry Fitz type of money,

Do we know for sure that he's said that though? I only heard a reporter state that, but not any direct quote of his.

steelspikes
04-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Do we know for sure that he's said that though? I only heard a reporter state that, but not any direct quote of his.
Don't have the link, and don't know exactly what MW said, but prior to signing Randy Moss, SF 49rs management had contacted Wallace's agent and were stunned by the asking price, i.e., Fitzgerald type numbers. They quickly lost interest, as has the rest of the league, it seems.
Regardless of what MW may or may not have said, you have to conclude that he was on the same page as his agent re what he feels he is worth.

K Train
04-20-2012, 02:18 PM
I would say Wallace is not that aggressive, more than he is "soft". He can take a hit and go across the middle, but he doesn't go after the ball very aggressively like other top-tier wideouts. That's my only problem with him, but then again, we were spoiled by Hines' aggressive nature and they are completely different animals.

honestly he expects the ball to be put in front of him, thats their game...sometimes he outruns the ball though. His ball adjusmtent ability, especially over the shoulder is elite. he doesnt need to be a guy that uses his body and gtes OPI called. people just want him to be everything, he is what he is which is a top 10 WR that relies on rare speed

LatrobePA
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I like it Train! Tks

Nolrog
04-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Regardless of what MW may or may not have said, you have to conclude that he was on the same page as his agent re what he feels he is worth.

Regardless of what he actually said, let's attack him for something he may not have said and is only reported as something someone may have heard (or may have made up, we don't konw for sure.)

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Looks like the Steelers are home free with Wallace.

As far as him being an elite WR; elite speed yes, solid ability to adjust to the ball, yes. Beyond that, there is still work to be done. He had serious issues last year with double coverage and catching the ball in traffic. You can be the fastest guy in the world but you can't outrun everybody all the time.

strummerfan
04-20-2012, 05:16 PM

No, it's only a rumor. It was one of those sources within the SF orginization told me blah blah blah

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Nobody knows for sure if he said he wants that money or not but I'm sure he is on the same page as his agent. If he didn't agree to it, it wouldn't have been said. I'm sure Wallace thinks he's worth that money and we know for damn sure his agent does. The fact is no matter who said he priced himself way out of the market this season.

If his agent would have been happy with say a 50 million dollar deal, he'd either be signed away or would have had more suitors.

JollyRob68
04-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Hopefully Wallace comes in and signs his tender this upcoming week before the draft and end the speculation. They would then try to sign him long term during camp like they normally do. However if wallace is being Salty & an A$$ then they might opt to trade him for a second now instead of a compensatory 3rd in 2 years.

Real Deal Steel
04-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Steelers should allow Wallace's agent to go and work out a trade for Wallace. They can advise the agent that they require a 2nd round pick for Wallace this year and a 3rd round pick next year. Now that his agent knows his client's true market value (Not Fitzgerald money), maybe he can prearrange a contract extension that Wallace will sign.

That's what I'd do at this point.

connecticutsteel
04-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Trade him to philly for samuels and a 2 rd pick

coldrolled
04-21-2012, 09:34 AM

cool but samuels is like a 10mil a year dude.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2012, 10:28 AM

No.......Samuel isn't getting any younger so I'll pass........getting anything less then a first round pick for Mike Wallace is stupid......enough with the over reaction with Mike Wallace.....He will sign his tender this year and the Steelers can franchise him next year.......still a ton of time to work out a long term deal.......

LevonKirkland99
04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Wallace will play for us this year...Why is everyone wants him traded? Brown will wanna get payed too next year.

SteelDad
04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
No one has confirmed whether Wallace really demanded that money from SF or not. The bigger issue quite honestly was his behavior on Twitter after it was leaked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

tburg68
04-21-2012, 11:27 PM
It is hilarious to see certain players such as Wallace take a beating after improving two straight years, and being very young, while other marginally talented players such as Redman are lauded as the next Bettis.

Unreal.

Real Deal Steel
04-21-2012, 11:35 PM
I like Redman but I feel he's reached his ceiling.

I like Wallace but if he doesnt' want to be here, then I don't want him here. He knows how the Steelers do things yet he chooses to try and buck the system. So....you move him. Simple as that.

He'll learn. Just like Holmes is learning in New York.

Seperation will brings about appreciation.

coldrolled
04-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Simpson over Wallace... Funny...

The Minnesota Vikings are meeting with free-agent receiver Jerome Simpson, ESPN 1500 reported Saturday

According to the report, the Vikings hosted Simpson in the Minneapolis area for a meeting and a physical Saturday, with plans for him to stay until Sunday.

Simpson is continuing to draw interest from teams despite receiving a sentence of 15 days in jail and three years of probation earlier this month as the result of a felony drug-related charge. Pro Football Weekly reported earlier this month that the St. Louis Rams were also considering Simpson.

The 26-year-old Simpson could be facing a suspension by the league as a result of his legal troubles.

Simpson, who made headlines in December after flipping over a defender and landing feet-first in the end zone, caught 50 passes for 725 yards and four touchdowns after playing in all 16 games with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2011. He has been with the Bengals since they made him a second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Njsteelersnut
04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
If we dont sign Wallace to a long term deal this year, and then franchise him next year, I believe he will hold out next year. Not only that what would be the franchise salary for a wide receiver be.....$10 million or more? We will most likely be cutting it close to the salary cap once again next year....with additional players to sign, so would franchising him next hear make any sense....I dont think so. The bottom line is he either wants to play for Pittsburgh or play for the highest bidder. If he has his sights set on playing for who ever wants to fork over the most money.....we wont be in the mix......and if thats truly the case why not trade him this year and get some draft picks in return. If he wants to stay then get a deal worked out, but I wouldnt break the bank to keep him. Like i previously stated I dont think our salary cap situation will be much better next year.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Steelers can franchise him and still work out a long term deal with him next year......If he holds out due to being franchised then let him sit at home were he can make no money.......

tburg68
04-22-2012, 11:00 AM
I guess perception is reality. None of the stories about Wallace are anything but rumor. He may be posturing for more money, but that would just make him the same as every pro athlete.

People believe what they want to believe, not what they can prove. I prefer to wait and see what happens with Wallace. The Steelers need him, and he will be a big weapon in this offense.

JensK
04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I guess perception is reality. None of the stories about Wallace are anything but rumor. He may be posturing for more money, but that would just make him the same as every pro athlete.

People believe what they want to believe, not what they can prove. I prefer to wait and see what happens with Wallace. The Steelers need him, and he will be a big weapon in this offense.

While that is true, Wallace could EASILY have said that the rumors of him wanting that kind of money was untrue. Yet he has not.

edit:

We're not breaking news by telling you Mike Wallace isn't thrilled with his current contract situation.

The Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver just watched the deadline for restricted free agency pass without a single team making a play for him.

Leverage is waning for the Pro Bowl selection, who appears intent on going rogue until the Steelers take care of him.

ESPN.com reported on Sunday that Wallace has made it known to Steelers officials he won't sign his first-round tender "until he has to," according to a source.

The best definition of "until he has to" is June 15. If Wallace doesn't sign the Steelers' $2.7 million tender by that date, the team can slash the offer to $577,500.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora has been beating the pavement on this one for a while. According to La Canfora, the Steelers also want to do a long-term deal, but the sides aren't close. Complicating matters, the Steelers lack cap space to make a deal happen. A trade is not an option for the team at this time.

With Todd Haley taking over the Steelers' offense this season, the team would benefit by having Ben Roethlisberger's top playmaker in the building. That said, Wallace's greatest skill is simply going deep, something he does as well as anybody in the game today.