PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks will be ready to go by July

CowherPower
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Max Starks tweeted that his rehab is going well and hopes to be ready by July. He has yet to receive any offer from the Steelers and as far as I know he hasn't gotten any interest around the league.

A 300+ lineman who is coming off ACL surgery though usually won't attract much attention. I'm sure he'll still be available if the Steelers want him later in the summer. We'd have to hope though that this rehab is helping him stay in shape, unlike last year when things didn't go so well in the offseason and he was released.

I would like to see him back still, he'd come at a bargain considering his experience. I liked the combination of Gilbert at RT and Starks at LT, however the money that Colon is getting paid will weigh into the decision too like it or not.

ChucktownSteeler
04-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Depending on the draft, if we can get him cheap.................

Got to be a better option than J. Scott.

C-town

coldrolled
04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
If Gilbert and Colon can start, then let starks rest as much as possible and be the backup contingency.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
J. Scott was actually not so bad when he was on the right side. When he filled in for Gilbert in 2011 he was fairly effective. That being said I don't want him as a starter though.

One could make the argument that Starks hasn't been the answer since the OL's have been poor when he was on the roster at LT. However I'd refute that as saying he has had some injury problems and he definitely saved the day last year when brought him back. Things would have been much, much, worse than they were.

connecticutsteel
04-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't think Starks will be back It's gonna be Gilbert,legs,pouncey,Foster,Colon that's the starters`Scott ,Turner, Essex,and anybody they draft as depth

K Train
04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
doug legursky better not be the opening day starter at LG, we saw what happened last time

LatrobePA
04-20-2012, 12:07 PM
J. Scott turns my stomach! Let's not go into camp with some bullshit, let's fix this fn line so we can churn up some points!

coldrolled
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
J. Scott turns my stomach! Let's not go into camp with some bullshit, let's fix this fn line so we can churn up some points!

Konz, Brooks, Osemele, Zeitler 2 of these 4 will be starters and pro bowlers, we need 2 of them

I hoped they asked Pouncey if he would mind playing guard, and he said no problem.

K Train
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Konz, Brooks, Osemele, Zeitler 2 of these 4 will be starters and pro bowlers, we need 2 of them

I hoped they asked Pouncey if he would mind playing guard, and he said no problem.
konz is cerebral and tactical, he has no place on this team as a guard hes a much better center prospect than guard, pouncey would dominate at guard but i highly doubt they move him

brooks is a slightly more athletic ramon foster, which could be a huge factor in his career. We could get foster 2.0 or we could get carl nicks 2.0. Osemele reminds me a lot of kendall simmons tbh, i would like him and zeitler in the 2nd round though.

Honestly the BEST strategic move for the steelers to make would be trading up with the jags so they could get Hill at 24 and the steelers could land decastro. It would cost a first/second/next year 3rd but decastro on the line is a GAME CHANGER

Hell they could trade wallace to them for 7 and get decastro and keep 24, that would make me feel all tingly.

I really hope we can get glenn though, hes the best realistic pick at guard

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm highly skeptical of the "Pouncey at Guard" thinking that has been prevailing lately on Steelers forums ... it makes no sense to me whatsoever ... Legursky is way small for a LG ... and Pouncey is even smaller ... I'm hoping we draft a pure LG with size and power and end this "Pouncey at Guard" discussion permanently ... Pouncey was drafted as a Center ... and Legursky needs to be a backup Center once again ... We need real Guards desperately!!!!!!

coldrolled
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm highly skeptical of the "Pouncey at Guard" thinking that has been prevailing lately on Steelers forums ... it makes no sense to me whatsoever ... Legursky is way small for a LG ... and Pouncey is even smaller ... I'm hoping we draft a pure LG with size and power and end this "Pouncey at Guard" discussion permanently ... Pouncey was drafted as a Center ... and Legursky needs to be a backup Center once again ... We need real Guards desperately!!!!!!

then lets get Zeitler at #24

Better than Konz, but doesnt help at backup center.

NT #2

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
then lets get Zeitler at #24

Better than Konz, but doesnt help at backup center.

NT #2

Then we should trade down and get an extra #2 pick THIS draft and take Zeitler where his draft value is more reasonably ascertained ... and if Zeitler isn't there in mid-Round #2 at around Pick 40-48 (where we'd presumably end up with a 2nd rounder in exchange for our #24 Pick) then we can grab Brandon Washington or Kelechi Osemele with one of our #2 picks ... because at #24, Zeitler is a horrible pick!

... and if we get our true LG mammoth this year, then we don't need a backup Center ... Legursky suits that role just fine!

There is no way we should come out of this draft without our true LG starter for years to come ...

coldrolled
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Then we should trade down and get an extra #2 pick THIS draft and take Zeitler where his draft value is more reasonably ascertained ... and if Zeitler isn't there in mid-Round #2 at around Pick 40-48 (where we'd presumably end up with a 2nd rounder in exchange for our #24 Pick) then we can grab Brandon Washington or Kelechi Osemele with one of our #2 picks ... because at #24, Zeitler is a horrible pick!

... and if we get our true LG mammoth this year, then we don't need a backup Center ... Legursky suits that role just fine!

There is no way we should come out of this draft without our true LG starter for years to come ...

Could be bad at #24, but Zeitler shows up in the bottom of the first often. we are the bottom of the first. not sure he makes it to far into the second.

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Then the serious question becomes this ... is Zeitler at the NFL level going to be worth , say, a Brandon Washington (or a Kelechi Osemele) AND an additional 4th Rounder THIS draft? ... if so then by all means we should grab him there ... if not, then trade down ...

My guess is Osemele and/or Washington will be just as solid at the NFL level ...

But all of this is moot if we draft Hightower (or anybody else) at #24 ... Friday night can't come fast enough for me ... I hate the off-season!

K Train
04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
pouncey is not smaller than legursky. pouncey is a grown *** man, hes super athletic which makes him look smaller than he is but hes a legit 6-4 310. And moving him to guard he would crush....hes a terror at pulling. In sprinting drills and any kind of running test he doesnt just beat all the offensive and defensive linemen, he SMOKES them. Center is a very cerebral position, you have to be tactical and aware which pouncey is but having him at guard would allow him to maximize that athletisicm. defenders wouldnt even see him coming.

that being said hes a great center to have, and hes not being moved. But he does need a guard. I would love to put a massive body like glenn or osemele next to him. Honestly if we drafted Glenn in 1 and Brooks in 2 pouncey would dominate the world and the tackles would look like all pros. Guard is a huge need, i wouldnt be opposed to drafting 2 very early...and i wouldnt be opposed to selling the farm for decastro, because that move is a game changer and turns the steelers line into a top 5 line from day one

Then the serious question becomes this ... is Zeitler at the NFL level going to be worth , say, a Brandon Washington (or a Kelechi Osemele) AND an additional 4th Rounder THIS draft? ... if so then by all means we should grab him there ... if not, then trade down ...

My guess is Osemele and/or Washington will be just as solid at the NFL level ...

But all of this is moot if we draft Hightower (or anybody else) at #24 ... Friday night can't come fast enough for me ... I hate the off-season!

its thursday night.

and we dont need to trade down and pick up roster fillers...we need 2-3 quality players at G, NT, and MLB...possibly S. but im not a fan of trading down this year (i never really am because im greedy for quality over quantity on a pretty full roster)

ChucktownSteeler
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I say we have t go defense #1 (either Hightower or Poe). We can get quality O-Lineman rounds 2-4. I like Zeiter in the 2nd round, although his stock is rising.

I am afraid the Ravens may try and leap frog us for Hightower,

ChucktownSteeler

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
It's the perfect draft to trade down ... assuming Glenn and Poe are off the boards ...

NT can come later in this draft (seeing as how Hampton isn't quite finished) ...

But again, I doubt we'd pass on Hightower at #24 if he is there ...

But I never saw Heyward coming last year ... so I'm just a "hack" ...

K Train
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
perfect draft for a team like the rams to trade down, for a team like the jaguars...teams that have TONS of holes. trading down means we acquire more mid-low round picks and more players to get cut. this roster is pretty well put together

only way i would want to trade down (or out of the first round) would be getting an extra first next year....that would give me 365 straight days of excitement

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
K Train ... what the Steelers "need" is an OG, a NT and an ILB ...

After Cordy Glenn, no OG in this draft is worth taking at the 24th pick ... and all three of the next highly rated OG's are all grouped as 2nd rounders ...

After Dontari Poe, no pure NT is there in the 1st round to draft ...

That leaves Hightower as our likely 1st rounder considering it is unlikely Poe or Glenn won't be taken before the 24th pick ...

We can go round and round on the idea of taking the next best OG at 24th ... but trading down there and taking one of the next three in line (Zeitler, Washington, Osemele) AND getting an extra 2nd and extra 4th THIS year makes perfect sense ...

I've been wrong in 10 of the last 10 drafts ... this one will make 11 out of 11 for me :grin1:

K Train
04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
K Train ... what the Steelers "need" is an OG, a NT and an ILB ...

After Cordy Glenn, no OG in this draft is worth taking at the 24th pick ... and all three of the next highly rated OG's are all grouped as 2nd rounders ...

After Dontari Poe, no pure NT is there in the 1st round to draft ...

That leaves Hightower as our likely 1st rounder considering it is unlikely Poe or Glenn won't be taken before the 24th pick ...

We can go round and round on the idea of taking the next best OG at 24th ... but trading down there and taking one of the next three in line (Zeitler, Washington, Osemele) AND getting an extra 2nd and extra 4th THIS year makes perfect sense ...

I've been wrong in 10 of the last 10 drafts ... this one will make 11 out of 11 for me :grin1:

im well aware of the steelers needs at G, MLB, and NT. Glenn/Poe/Hightower could all be first round picks, but they could very well also take a WR (floyd, Hill), take a OLB (Nick Perry), or take a FS (Barron) too. You dont just draft for need, you have to take BPA available with need weighted in your decision.

i would not be opposed to Fleener or Hill at 24 if the top guys we need are gone. Josh Chapman could be had in the 3rd/4th, Fangupu in the 4th, Taamu in the 2nd. Kendricks in the 2nd, Brooks/Washington/Osemele/Zeitler/Adams could be had in the second, some might require a trade up but things can be addressed later on.

right now i have it going:

Donta Hightower
Mike Adams
Mitchell Schwartz
Josh Chapman

as the first 4 picks, thats a MLB, a LT, a G, and a NT

Trading down in our case is just stupid imo

coldrolled
04-23-2012, 04:32 PM
right now i have it going:

Donta Hightower
Mike Adams
Mitchell Schwartz
Josh Chapman

as the first 4 picks, thats a MLB, a LT, a G, and a NT

With Adams and his little issues. This could actually happen.

K Train
04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
mike adams in the second will be on my final mock....they clearly like him. id be blown away if they passed on him in the second round

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Interesting thought ... Adams falling that far ...

JensK
04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Interesting thought ... Adams falling that far ...

I'd say its more interesting, although scary and anger provoking, that they could consider him in the first.

ChucktownSteeler
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Was it Adams that just failed a drug test? I am not sure.

If he did, he's off the Steeler's radar.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Adams tested positive while at the combine so yes while some think he's still an option I just don't see the Steelers going after him now.

I'm still not ruling out Starks for a comeback to the team later in the offseason. He could get some looks after the draft and closer to preseason once teams re-evalute their roster and deal with any injuries.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Adams won't wear black and gold...he toked away his chances...

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Adams won't wear black and gold...he toked away his chances...

Hey! ... Is this Blaze from Homo City PA? ... :lol:

BlacknGoldHaze
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey! ... Is this Blaze from Homo City PA? ... :lol:

Lake!!! Watch that Blaze crap buddy...no wonder your friends list is empty!! :lol:

The Lakelander
04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
:lol: ... don't make me flex my internet muscles!

K Train
04-24-2012, 01:44 AM
they really really like adams, they may not take him in the first but he is a smart guy and the steelers like what he brings to the table....im telling you weed isnt a deal breaker anymore, if the league took the hard road on weed they would have had to shut it down or only let amateurs play. plenty of the league smokes, it might be concerning him getting tested positive before the combine but really how much do we know? theyve had several one on one meetings and work outs with him, its not going to be THAT big of a deal....especially if hes in the second round. they might have run out of patience with holmes, but it wasnt just the wake and bake tweets...its that hes a dick and a ****** team mate (i still miss him) but they got a return on investment with him and his few years here. idk why people think the steelers will only employ choir boys, its not like that

coldrolled
04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
If we boosted the OL only...

Jonathan Martin / Glenn #1 and Brooks / Adams or whatever #2

Would Ben score way more points then the defense would allow without a new #1 NT or ILB for this year.

I am thinking with Ben and Haley and a monster OL we would score more readily and the defense would not be needed as much in these 3 point games.

The Lakelander
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
:popcorn: Mel Kiper says the Steelers are on the decline ... can't wait for a healthy Woodley and a healthy Harrison to pressure opposing QB's for another season ... then we shall see ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChucktownSteeler
04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
That's about what Sapp the sap said.

I don't think so.

C-town