PDA

View Full Version : Return trip to Iraq!

Stairwayto7
01-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Just got this email, dont know if it was posted before? But to good of story to pass on!

Gotta love the best running back in Steelers history!

roud to be a Steeler Fan!!

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT ONE SOLDIER'S RETURN FLIGHT TO IRAQ

HE SAW A MAN GO INTO THE BATHROOM AT THE PITTSBURGH AIRPORT & THOUGHT HE RECOGNIZED HIM. WHEN THE MAN CAME OUT HE WENT OVER TO HIM & SAID 'EXCUSE ME SIR BUT ARE YOU FRANCO HARRIS?'

THE MAN REPLIED 'YES I AM' & THEN BEING SUCH A BIG STEELER FAN THAT HE IS ASKED HIM IF HE COULD HAVE A PIC OF HIM.

FRANCO WAS AGREEABLE TO THIS. (see attached photo)

AFTER TAKING THE PIC THEY TALKED FOR A FEW MINUTES. HE TOLD HIM HE WAS ON HIS WAY BACK TO IRAQ. FRANCO ACKNOWLEDGED HIS SADNESS, GAVE HIM ENCOURAGEMENT, AND WISHED HIM A SAFE RETURN. THEY THEN SHOOK HANDS & PARTED ON THEIR WAYS... THE END OF THE STORY YOU WOULD THINK,

BUT NOT SO....

YOU SEE AFTER AWHILE THE SOLDIER'S NAME WAS ANNOUNCED OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER TO COME TO THE DESK. ONCE THERE THE LADY BEHIND THE COUNTER INFORMED HIM THAT THERE WAS AN EMPTY SEAT IN FIRST CLASS & SHE WAS GOING TO BUMP HIM UP TO THAT SEAT IF IT WAS OK WITH HIM. HE SAID HE DIDN'T CARE WHERE HE SAT IN THE PLANE AS LONG AS HE MADE IT TO ATLANTA TO CATCH THE ARMY PLANE. SO SHE INFORMED HIM THAT HE WAS NOW GOING FIRST CLASS TO ATLANTA . HE THANKED HER & WENT BACK TO TELL EVERYONE AS HE WAITED TO BOARD THE PLANE. ONCE HE WAS SEATED ON THE PLANE HE WAS WAVING OUT THE WINDOW TO HIS DAD & PAP AS HE FELT A HAND ON HIS LEG. HE TURNED TO HIS SIDE & THERE WAS FRANCO SITTING IN THE SEAT NEXT TO HIM!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY TALKED ALL THE WAY TO ATLANTA ABOUT THE STEELERS & THEN PARTED WITH FRANCO TAKING HIS ADDRESS & GIVING HIS SIGNED TICKET STUB TO THE SOLDIER AS VALIDATION OF THEIR TRIP TOGETHER. THIS WAS A TRIP NOT OF SADNESS & LONELINESS BUT ONE THIS SOLDIER WILL NEVER FORGET & WILL TALK ABOUT FOREVER THANKS TO FRANCO HARRIS. THIS ACT OF KINDNESS & GENEROSITY FROM THIS MAN IS ONE THAT WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS. IN MY OPINION, FRANCO HARRIS IS 'THE MAN OF ALL MEN'!! I WISH I COULD THANK HIM FOR MAKING A SOLDIER'S LONELY FLIGHT BACK TO WAR ONE OF HIS ULTIMATE LIFETIME EXPERIENCES THAT HE WILL TALK ABOUT FOREVER.

THANK YOU MR. FRANCO HARRIS
A SOLDIER'S AUNT

SteelerNation
01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Hmmm i dont think there was a thred on this topic but hey if there was owell GOOO STEELERS:cabbagepatch:

BBG7
01-25-2007, 04:30 PM
wow, what an amazing story. That's pretty cool and awesome of Franco!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
That is an amazing story. Ive met Franco a few times and guy bleeds black n gold as strong as ever and always treated the fans that Ive seen around him with respect and kindness !

Hawk Believer
01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Cool story. See, Seahawks aren't all that bad...:lol:

Captcoolhand
01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Cool story. See, Seahawks aren't all that bad...:lol:
You can't even find an accomplishment that Harris ever did for the seabirds. But He will forever be remember as a true Steeler rebel:yesnod:

DIESELMAN
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Thats cool as hell right there. Make a soldier feel like hes special....Right on Franco!!!!

Stairwayto7
01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
I was at the Hall of Fame in Canton when Franco got inducted. Thousands of Steelers fans everywhere. The first words out of Francos mouth "I`m Back" gave me goose bumps.

AZ_Steeler
01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
He didn't buy the guy a first class ticket... did he?

Stairwayto7
01-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Here is the picture that went along with the email

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
He didn't buy the guy a first class ticket... did he?

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he did.

AZ_Steeler
01-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Regardless, what an experience for that dude! I once sat next to the Cardinals OC about 5 years ago but I didn't realize it until he broke out a play book and was going through it! :lol:

House of Steel
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
That is a truly amazing story, Cleve. I know Franco Harris loves to be kind and respecting to his fans. He is one of several Steelers that tops my list of whom I would love to meet someday. It brought such a wonderful feeling over me when I read that story. Mr. Harris, you are definitely a Black n Gold Angel.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 08:50 PM
If I remember right he was the first to wave the Terrible Towel during the intro's at SB XL too. The guy loves his fans, and the city. He's a role model for all young kids and adults alike in that respect.

House of Steel
01-25-2007, 08:58 PM
He most certainly did, Matt. That gave me chills too. Lynn Swann was twirling and smiling brightly. Man, what a memorable night that was. I also will never forget the opening night when we played Miami and unveil the five championship flags. That my friend was giving me a wave of chills, WHOOOHOOOO!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Hell yeah, I watch that vid on youtube periodically just because it give me chills too.

Seeing somebody like Franco treat fans like this, and in this case a soldier, just makes me even more proud to be a Steeler fan

Stairwayto7
02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
This was a wile ago!

DIESELMAN
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
This was a wile ago!
This kinda stuff never gets old.....:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

StlersGuy
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
very nice read

TampaSteelGirl
02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I just saw this and I love this! Franco is amazing! God bless him for making that soldiers trip memorable. Its funny how just talking to someone can make all the difference to a person. I love this story.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I was looking at this like, huh? I thought this looked familiar :lol:

Stairwayto7
02-19-2008, 06:21 AM
I figured you would want to combined the two threads