PDA

View Full Version : Trade Mike Wallace - Best Option for Steelers

Three Four
04-15-2012, 05:49 PM
If some other team signs Mike Wallace this week, the Steelers will come out smelling like a rose. First, the final drive in Superbowl 45 against the Packers was lost because Wallace couldn't get separation on the shorter routes. Ben and Wallace tried to pull a Ben and Holmes drive and it didn't work. Why? Wallace isn't Holmes. He isn't Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders. Mike Wallace is a speed demon one trick pony. It's a great trick. It's worth about two plays a game. What are the Steelers going to do with the remaining 30 odd pass plays in the game?

The Steelers have a lot of needs on at other positions. They need cap space and the extra 1st round draft choice would allow the Steelers to fill those holes. The Steelers could draft two of the following 4, Hightower, Poe, Adams and Baron. That extra player is going to make a bigger impact than Wallace.

If the Steelers can keep Wallace at the current tender, then the Steelers will have a great deal. If some team pries him away from the Steelers, then the Steelers still win.

LevonKirkland99
04-15-2012, 06:16 PM
now you're opening a can of warms in this forum...

Njsteelersnut
04-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I think Wallace is an asset, and Im not gonna fully grade him as a receiver until I see how he plays in a sytem other than Arians. With that said, I think Wallace's ego has gotten the best of him, and he wants ridiculous money, which I hope we dont pay. No need to overpay for his services then not have money to sign others. Unless he gets more realistic about what he is worth and what caliber of player he is, I say trade him for a couple of picks and use the money we would have spent on him to get Brown and Sanders to long term deals this year. We can draft his repalcement and be set at the receiver postion for years to come.

elephantman
04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
If some other team signs Mike Wallace this week, the Steelers will come out smelling like a rose. First, the final drive in Superbowl 45 against the Packers was lost because Wallace couldn't get separation on the shorter routes. Ben and Wallace tried to pull a Ben and Holmes drive and it didn't work. Why? Wallace isn't Holmes. He isn't Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders. Mike Wallace is a speed demon one trick pony. It's a great trick. It's worth about two plays a game. What are the Steelers going to do with the remaining 30 odd pass plays in the game?

The Steelers have a lot of needs on at other positions. They need cap space and the extra 1st round draft choice would allow the Steelers to fill those holes. The Steelers could draft two of the following 4, Hightower, Poe, Adams and Baron. That extra player is going to make a bigger impact than Wallace.

If the Steelers can keep Wallace at the current tender, then the Steelers will have a great deal. If some team pries him away from the Steelers, then the Steelers still win.

^agree with everything...Im still bitter about his ineptitude in SB last drive and Now his seemingly greed and ego...I would love a draft pick for him...not to say it wouldnt be a loss..he's just not worth it...and btw, expect sanders to have a break out season this yr

LevonKirkland99
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I really believe Wallace has a lot of potential to help this team. He just fell into the trap of trying to make as much money as possible.

JoeSteelerFan
04-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Wallace is worth every penny of an $8-9M per year contract. If he can't live on that salary and think he deserves more, I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

ChucktownSteeler
04-15-2012, 09:09 PM
I think he needs to sign for about 4 - 5 million max myself. He has not established himself as an elite WR yet. If he wants to hold out, so be it.

C-town

Black@Gold Forever32
04-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Its only April........I still think Wallace and the Steelers will reach an agreement on a long term contract....Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part but for real to much over reaction regarding Wallace.......For all of the flaws in Mike's game lets not forget how important he is to the offense and his presence alone opens things up for the other Wr's......Of course Mike Wallace isn't on the same level as Megatron or Larry Fitz but he is on the level below them.....Plus he is only getting better......

Njsteelersnut
04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I agree i think 8-9 million is too steep for Wallace, no denying his speed, but he needs to step up and show he is something more than a guy who can run the fly route. He fails to fight for the ball, and seems at times he doesnt like the contact and shys away from being hit. I think thats one of the reasons no other team stepped up to pay him the huge contract he is seeking.

LatrobePA
04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
From everything I'm hearing Wallace is acting like too big of a dick right now..

JollyRob68
04-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I like Wallace but would love a more Physical WR. He doesn't have to be as tall as Wallace or taller just one who wants to fight for the ball. If someone was to sign Wallace or Call Pittsburgh to negotiate Alternate compensation 2 & ?, I'd think they'd take Colby Fleener in the first round. Fleener is someone who can line up tight,slot or out wide.

Back to Wallace. He is letting his ego get him into a sticky situation. I see nothing wrong with wanting as much money as you can get but you need some independent people to tell you your true value. I agree he should get V JAX money to Desean Jackson money. REMEMBER The Steelers tend to do contract extensions after the draft and in training camp.
Mike WAllace just sign your tender after the 20th or get out there and visit teams you really like and have them call about alternate compensation. I'd start with The Rams,Vikings,Cards & PAnthers and in the AFC Texans they have Ben Tate as bait.

elephantman
04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Wallace is worth every penny of an $8-9M per year contract. If he can't live on that salary and think he deserves more, I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

i dont see any receiver not named johnson (2) or fitzgerald makin that kind of money...5-6 mil he's worth

LevonKirkland99
04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm. Surprised why no team made him an offer...Maybe he deep inside he wants to stay a Steeler...

coldrolled
04-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm. Surprised why no team made him an offer...Maybe he deep inside he wants to stay a Steeler...

None of this wallace stuff has any logical balance to it.. i think its a big smokescreen so we can keep him and he likes that idea too.. right now i would like another #1 or a #2 & #3 and another #2 next year.

igor0190
04-16-2012, 12:27 AM
There's no point in trading Wallace unless we get a first round draft pick for him... Let him play this year, and if he's unreasonable with his contract demands next year, let him leave and we'd be guaranteed a high compensatory pick from the NFL anyways.

connecticutsteel
04-16-2012, 12:28 AM
It is his agents job to sound like a dick and posture for money

coldrolled
04-16-2012, 08:06 AM
It is his agents job to sound like a dick and posture for money

Im sure his agent is loving him too.... If Wallace came from a super poor family his agent has no real control of his financial emotions anyway... He has the lotto ticket in his hand and life is about to change. hopefully he is working with the steelers to stay on track wsith us. his agent wont help him much, he makes millions too. so what does he care where wallace ends up...

SteelDad
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
One very important factor that has not been mentioned... Do the Steelers have the money to give him a long term deal? Not right now they don't.

LatrobePA
04-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't see this team reaching deep for him, sorry I just don't!

coldrolled
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't see this team reaching deep for him, sorry I just don't!

You could be right, but they can't let good draft picks slip away either.

coldrolled
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
One very important factor that has not been mentioned... Do the Steelers have the money to give him a long term deal? Not right now they don't.

Is the salary cap in effect right now? or can they adjust down later.

tburg68
04-16-2012, 10:53 AM
This whole thread is pretty short sighted. Wallace is a dick or whatever because he doesn't want to sign his tender offer? Because he wants the max money he can get?

If that's the case, color every other Steeler, and every other NFL player the same way then.

The people calling out Wallace right now will be the same one licking his sack after he catches a few long TD's next year.

LatrobePA
04-16-2012, 11:10 AM
The people calling out Wallace right now will be the same one licking his sack after he catches a few long TD's next year.

So you're calling him a one trick pony? That's all he offers is a deep threat once in a while, that's it... So why does he feel he needs paid like a top WR? He don't deserve it right now, it's simple.

He's fast, cool, his routes suck!!

Three Four
04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I agree with most of you on this thread. The Steelers should try to keep Wallace. But the Steelers should not break the cap to do it. If they can keep him for under 5 million a year, then they will be in good shape. Anything else, the Steelers should let him go and pick up the extra 1st round pick.

Nolrog
04-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Is the salary cap in effect right now? or can they adjust down later.

I believe the cap is in effect now. Teams had until around the first week of April, IIRC, to get under the cap number, which is why we saw all those restructures a few weeks ago.

Goodfrom55
04-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Anyone who deems himself "young money" - the writing is on the wall. I said this before, if he leaves, he will turn into Randle El.

Stone
04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
If what started to materialize last year, continues to materialize, the Steelers are better off without him. One trick pony is the perfect term for him. He can beat you deep, and he can catch, otherwise he is a non-factor. It appears he lacks balls...he is no threat whatsoever across the middle unless he beats the defenders to the spot. He refuses to fight for the ball.

I think the defenses all figured this out last year and shut him down. So..............I doubt if anyone will take him off our hands:(

BlacknGoldHaze
04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
No way he deserves Fitz type money right now...I'd rather see him go and work on long-term contracts for AB and Sanders. We can't sell the farm for a speed demon who has questionable route-running ability....

xBlitzBurghx
04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I read on twitter the dolphins were trying to sign him?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
04-17-2012, 03:42 PM

They need a WR!!

coldrolled
04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
They need a WR!!

We need their pick

K Train
04-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Anyone who deems himself "young money" - the writing is on the wall. I said this before, if he leaves, he will turn into Randle El.

awful career path comparison

coldrolled
04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Deadline approaches

ESPN says:

With Steelers restricted free-agent wide receiver Mike Wallace facing a Friday deadline to sign an offer sheet with another team, it now is expected that he will return to Pittsburgh for the 2012 season, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Hensley: Wallace never caught a break

Mike Wallace just never caught a break this offseason, and the major benefactor is the Steelers, writes Jamison Hensley. Blog

No team has made a significant run yet at Wallace, and it is not expected that one will, sources told Schefter.

Last month, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the Steelers had made a one-year offer to Wallace worth a first-round tender -- meaning any team signing Wallace to an offer sheet would have to part with a first-round pick.

If Wallace does not sign his tender -- worth a reported $2.7 million -- by June 15, the Steelers can reduce it to 110 percent of last year's salary and still retain his rights.

Steelers team president Art Rooney II has said the team wants to sign Wallace to a multiyear contract.

Real Deal Steel
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM

I'd love to send him to the Dolphins for their 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick next year.

JollyRob68
04-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I'd love to send him to the Dolphins for their 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick next year.

agreed.

Stone
04-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Deadline approaches

ESPN says:

With Steelers restricted free-agent wide receiver Mike Wallace facing a Friday deadline to sign an offer sheet with another team, it now is expected that he will return to Pittsburgh for the 2012 season, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Hensley: Wallace never caught a break

Mike Wallace just never caught a break this offseason, and the major benefactor is the Steelers, writes Jamison Hensley. Blog

No team has made a significant run yet at Wallace, and it is not expected that one will, sources told Schefter.

Last month, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the Steelers had made a one-year offer to Wallace worth a first-round tender -- meaning any team signing Wallace to an offer sheet would have to part with a first-round pick.

If Wallace does not sign his tender -- worth a reported $2.7 million -- by June 15, the Steelers can reduce it to 110 percent of last year's salary and still retain his rights.

Steelers team president Art Rooney II has said the team wants to sign Wallace to a multiyear contract.

Never caught a break? I don't get that statement! As if being picked up by another team is a break?

coldrolled
04-21-2012, 10:38 AM
First, the final drive in Superbowl 45 against the Packers was lost.

Well... really number 64 and 85 didnt block anyone and mendenhall got slammed lost the ball and the game was over...

dont blame wallace.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I hear that a lot too, he never caught a break. What break do you think he deserved? He's a 3rd yr player with a bright future on one of the best teams in the NFL every year. Bus Cook should know by now how the Steelers work and this whole offseason media circus was never going to force the Rooney's hands for anyone.

The fumble by Mendenhall can't be blamed on Wallace, he just flat out didn't hang onto it like he was supposed too and of course nobody blocked Matthews.

coldrolled
04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
The fumble by Mendenhall can't be blamed on Wallace, he just flat out didn't hang onto it like he was supposed too and of course nobody blocked Matthews.

64 watched matthews hit him.. watch the play.. 85 ran by matthews if i recall correctly... or vice a versa

ChucktownSteeler
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Well... really number 64 and 85 didnt block anyone and mendenhall got slammed lost the ball and the game was over...

dont blame wallace.

I agree. That fumble was on DJ Johnson. Mendy had it high and tight.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
On draft day, there will be ample opportunity to move Wallace. My dream now is to send him out of conference to maybe the Panthers for their 2nd round pick this year, and a third (or fourth) round pick next year.

I'm pretty sure the Panthers are going to take a defensive lineman with their first round pick which then puts a wide reciever opposite Steve Smith as their front and center next biggest need. We get that 2nd round pick, then we can take the offensive guard we need with one pick and a good nose tackle with the other.

Then the rest of the draft is buisness as usual.