PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex back with the Steelers on a new deal

CowherPower
04-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Saw this come across his Twitter this morning, looks like he's back with the team. I haven't seen any terms on the deal yet but I'm guessing it's probably a 1 yr. contract.

@TraiDay79: I am ecstatic to announce that I am back with the @Steelers ! There is no place like #SteelerNation #EverydayIsABlessing

He did fill a need last year at Center and Guard so from a depth perspective this is probably a pretty safe move and one that is very cap friendly I'm sure.

K Train
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
jesus he just wont go away

CowherPower
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
There's a reason he was available last year when the Steelers picked him up. There's a reason he was available again this year after signing his 1 yr. deal.

From a depth perspective it's a solid move I guess but he just never has been able to grab hold of a starting job by any stretch.

Career backup, no doubt about it, I guess for the money and experience I'm ok with it but sooner or later there needs to be some fresh blood here, depth wise.

K Train
04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
bringing back essex and legursky are steps backwards. i hope chris scott can do something

strummerfan
04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
bringing back essex and legursky are steps backwards. i hope chris scott can do something

I was just wondering about him, it would help tremendously if he has finally developed into something worthwhile. He was injured for all of his rookie year and had no minicamp or OTA's last year, do or die time for him.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Why do they keep holding on to these guys, the line has been terrible for years and these players have been on that line...

I get the whole depth thing but I'm just tired of the same old same old.

Steelersfan
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
They get them cheap (no cap room) and they know the system and players. Just my guess.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jpele
04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't know how it will affect his performance but if you lookat his twitter post he appears to have lost 50 lbs.

Njsteelersnut
04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
When is the madness of recycling a bunch of below average at best offensive linemen and expecting a different result each year going to stop.

JollyRob68
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
jesus he just wont go away

I was just going to say K Train is gonna go NUTS.LMAO... He does look good,he lost weight.

JollyRob68
04-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Why do they keep holding on to these guys, the line has been terrible for years and these players have been on that line...

I get the whole depth thing but I'm just tired of the same old same old.

They still need bodies to go into camp plus the fact that he played every position last year and is now in great shape helped him. But I agree same old, Same old line.

PS When's your next podcast?

JollyRob68
04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I was listening to The Terrible podcast and they say the Steelers will probably sign a Versatile Guard type in the first 3 rounds, then get a tackle in rd 6 or 7 because they Grade out the same after the top tier tackles are gone. What are your thoughts?