PDA

View Full Version : Donta Hightower visiting Steelers today

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Alabama inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27430/dont%27a-hightower) is having a pre-draft visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) today.

Hightower is the popular pick to go to the Steelers in the first round. His leadership ability (a two-time captain at Alabama) and experience in the 3-4 defense makes him a strong candidate to replace James Farrior (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1219/james-farrior), who was cut by the Steelers this offseason.

From ESPN...
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/45790/donta-hightower-is-visiting-steelers-today

ChucktownSteeler
04-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Odds on favorite as our pick, but stayed tuned. Makes the most sense. But, you never know if this is a "red herring" or if another club will leap-frog us for him, ala Ed Reed b the Ravens.

Time will tell.

C-town

coldrolled
04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Do the top docs check out the knee? i hate #1 picks with blown knees... i hope they know for sure that he is solid in that knee.
Hardesty lasted a few months for the browns... before he took a year off.

K Train
04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
im locked into hightower as the pick

strummerfan
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM

I have a feeling that you're going to be disappointed.

MDSteel15
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Same here as long as Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne, Reiff, Martin, DeCastro, or Kirkpatrick don't fall to us!!! :lol:

K Train
04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I have a feeling that you're going to be disappointed.
depends on who else the pick could be....some id be happy, some id be ok, some id be furious. disappointment isnt an emotion i show around draft time lol

Same here as long as Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne, Reiff, Martin, DeCastro, or Kirkpatrick don't fall to us!!! :lol:
**** martin, i want no part of him. and id take hightower over dre. Id add glenn to that list

PITTxPRIDE
04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
i would be happy to have him b/c our Offense is golden, and his hard hitting play would fit like a glove on our D

sdurity
04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I think it may be someone other than Hightower: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/surprise-first-pick-steelers-draft-fans-speculation-180900009--nfl.html

Real Deal Steel
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM

I am too now. It's obvious that he's the pick because there not making any free agent moves toward any linebackers.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I think Hightower will be the pick...I'm hoping he is gone before the Steelers pick though........wouldn't hate the pick but there is so many other players that I would want over him......

K Train
04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
i anticipate all the players i want specifically over him to be gone...glenn, reiff, poe

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I just don't see Hightower as the #1 pick. He's actually slower than Farrior and his coverage skills really aren't all that good. From everthing I've read he's average in zone coverage and a liability in man coverage.

K Train
04-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I just don't see Hightower as the #1 pick. He's actually slower than Farrior and his coverage skills really aren't all that good. From everthing I've read he's average in zone coverage and a liability in man coverage.

but timmons makes up for that. hes decent in zone, but hes not slower than farrior. farrior was a 4.45 guy back in the day which was what made him so good...james farrior today would run like a 5.3 lol. hightower with a 4.6 at his size is incredible

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
but timmons makes up for that. hes decent in zone, but hes not slower than farrior. farrior was a 4.45 guy back in the day which was what made him so good...james farrior today would run like a 5.3 lol. hightower with a 4.6 at his size is incredible

Farrior was a sub 4.6 while Hightower is nearly 4.7(4.68 at the combine). If they draft Hightower it will just be more of the same old watch a ILB chase a TE.

K Train
04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
timmons will take farriors spot and hightower will take timmons spot. troy was drafted to stop guys like heap and winslow back in the day....troy and timmons should be covering the TEs, thats why they are there

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 10:37 AM
timmons will take farriors spot and hightower will take timmons spot. troy was drafted to stop guys like heap and winslow back in the day....troy and timmons should be covering the TEs, thats why they are there

TImmons is slower than Farrior too.

K Train
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
bullshit lol. timmons was a 4.6 guy but but is insanely quick for a LB. He was running stride for stride with holmes before, farriro WAS a freakishly fast LB but at the end of his career (the last 5 years) hes been a far cry from that 4.4 guy out of virginia

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
bullshit lol. timmons was a 4.6 guy but but is insanely quick for a LB. He was running stride for stride with holmes before, farriro WAS a freakishly fast LB but at the end of his career (the last 5 years) hes been a far cry from that 4.4 guy out of virginia

He ran stride for stride for one step.

K Train
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
i think you are underestimating his speed, easily one of the fasted MLBs in the league

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
i think you are underestimating his speed, easily one of the fasted MLBs in the league

I would say you overestimate his speed. He runs in the mid to high 4.6 range which is average for an NFL linebacker.

K Train
04-13-2012, 12:20 PM
hes quick though and does play faster than he times. He was an elite prospect as a WILL in a 34, which is based on speed and staying relatively untouched. But he had to grow into playing in the middle of a 34.

name MLBs faster than timmons in either scheme? Willis? urlacher back in the day? AJ hawk when he was a 43 OLB, probably not now

connecticutsteel
04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Farrior was fast but hasn't been for a while Timmons is a Fast linebacker the faster we have probably top 5 fastest in the league and Hightower was the fastest LB at the combine

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 12:34 PM
hes quick though and does play faster than he times. He was an elite prospect as a WILL in a 34, which is based on speed and staying relatively untouched. But he had to grow into playing in the middle of a 34.

name MLBs faster than timmons in either scheme? Willis? urlacher back in the day? AJ hawk when he was a 43 OLB, probably not now

There are probably a dozen LB prospects that are faster than Timmons in the 2012 class alone.

K Train
04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
LB prospect is so vague, im saying MLB...obviously you could say so many OLB in either scheme are faster...pass rushers and WILL backers who are small

starting MLBs dont get much faster than timmons

K Train
04-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Farrior was fast but hasn't been for a while Timmons is a Fast linebacker the faster we have probably top 5 fastest in the league and Hightower was the fastest LB at the combine

hightower is also smart and instinctive, not quite kuechly instinctive but close. hes just a good football player

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Hightower was the fastest LB at the combine

That isn't even remotely accurate, Mychal Kendricks ran a sub 4.5 40.

connecticutsteel
04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
yes you are correct i forgot about kendricks touche'

He;s also 5'11" 240 slightly heavier than Cortez Allen and 2 inches shorter and Hightower is 6'4" 260 hmmmm if i was an offensive guard who would i rather see......................

kendricks could play safety for me not linebacker

JensK
04-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Remotely accurate, yes. He was the second fastest ILB (or MLB if you will) in the draft, which was highly surprising.

K Train
04-13-2012, 01:10 PM
touche, he killed the combine...could probably play MLB in either scheme, good in traffic

yes you are correct i forgot about kendricks touche'

He;s also 5'11" 240 slightly heavier than Cortez Allen and 2 inches shorter and Hightower is 6'4" 260 hmmmm if i was an offensive guard who would i rather see......................

kendricks could play safety for me not linebacker
kendricks is a LB, hes excellent i traffic and strong. He will rack up tackle numbers, he reminds me of sean weatherspoon a bit

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Remotely accurate, yes. He was the second fastest ILB (or MLB if you will) in the draft, which was highly surprising.

The original statement was fastest LB at the combine, Hightower was like the 7th or 8th fastest LB overall and 3rd or 4th ILB. But, the original point was that Hightower isn't going to help us in coverage. THis is becoming a passing league and replacing Farrior with someone that is actually slower isn't exactly helpful.

SteelDad
04-13-2012, 01:50 PM
No one knows who we are going to pick and to be very honest we probably won't know even as the draft rolls into the 3rd hour. It has become almost an annual event for some team to trade up or make a totally unpredictable move. Chances are that will happen. My guess is that the Steelers do not have a 'must-have' guy this year and are probably sitting on 3-4 guys. If they aren't there, trade down.

K Train
04-13-2012, 02:26 PM
if its becoming such a passing league we should just draft corners and safeties. screw stopping the run and getting a guy that can hold his own in coverage and has a knack for getting after the QB and someone who closes real good and takes good angles

strummerfan
04-13-2012, 02:46 PM
if its becoming such a passing league we should just draft corners and safeties. screw stopping the run and getting a guy that can hold his own in coverage and has a knack for getting after the QB and someone who closes real good and takes good angles

Or you draft the surprise OT or OG that's going to fall to them in the 1st and Kendricks in the 2nd. :yellowthumb:

K Train
04-13-2012, 03:21 PM
i dont mind that either, i just think you are knocking hightower for the wrong reason. by all means if glenn or reiff is there pull the trigger

coldrolled
04-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Glenn or Barron or Konz

Real Deal Steel
04-13-2012, 08:07 PM
I do know one thing, with the hits the Ravens took this off-season (I think they've lost 7 starters) we are once again in the driver's seat in this division. I'm now thinking that if we upgrade properly, and get the health situation taken care of in our backfield, we can easily go 13-3 with a swee of the Ravens mixed in that record.

connecticutsteel
04-14-2012, 06:06 AM
of course he's a linebacker he's on the small side were not drafting him anyway i would be pissed if they took him and hightower was avalible

JoeSteelerFan
04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Hightower has been my guy for the past 2 months now ..... would love the pick.

There's only 1 problem ....

Hightower's stock is going up as draft day nears and unless the Steelers plan on making a play to move up to get him, .... they won't sniff him at the #24 spot.

Real Deal Steel
04-14-2012, 04:55 PM
I think Hightower will be there. And the Ravens want him too but because of all the hits the Ravens took in free agency, they can't afford to trade picks to move past us to get him. But Hightower is going to be a Steeler or Raven.

coldrolled
04-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Vontaze is seeing his stock slip as the season goes on due to untimely roughing penalties, inconsistent play and losses to his team. Burfict may have been better suited in playing in the old school era as the NFL is trying to minimize rough plays. Vontaze is too much like James Harrison, Bart Scott and Suh in the aggression at which he plays and Goodell and officiating crews are not letting them get away with playing the game the way that is was played when football became so popular. Also, you have to wonder if Burfict is one of those guys that isn’t trying as hard knowing NFL riches are right around the corner. Anyways, Burfict is a 1st rd talent all the way with the potential to dominate but he definitely has baggage.

LevonKirkland99
04-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Is Hightower the real deal in that position for the Steelers draft slot?

JoeSteelerFan
04-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Hightower could be dominant in the Steelers system (ala, Ray Lewis)

Outside of his physical skills, he's been the "tude" for Alabama (i.e, emotional leader). The man is a leader and makes others around him want to jump in mix it up in a good old fashion street fight. He could make our defense downright nasty again.

I love the pick ..... if he's there.

coldrolled
04-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Maybe burfict will fall to 3rd or 4th.

Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict hasn't been invited for a visit with any NFL teams, his agent, Charles Price, told The Daily on Sunday.

Casserly: Two-round mock draft

Charley Casserly projects the first two rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft, with no quarterbacks coming off the board in Round 2. More ...

In September of last year, USC defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin described Burfict as "unbelievable."

"He's going to be playing on Sundays, there isn't any doubt about that," said Kiffin, who was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive coordinator from 1996 to 2008 and spent 13 years on other NFL staffs.

But after collecting 17 personal fouls in three seasons with the Sun Devils, and a poor performance at February's NFL Scouting Combine, Burfict's alleged attitude problems on and off the field have dropped him to becoming potentially undrafted.

"I'm not a fan at all," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said after Burfict's combine performance.

At the combine, Burfict posted the worst 40-yard dash time (5.09 seconds) and also recorded the worst broad jump of any linebacker in attendance. He did, however, improve his 40 time to 4.80 seconds at his pro day in Arizona in March. Burfict also did 16 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Crack my A$$

Now Hightower is a monster and covers the whole field and isnt a 2 down ILB

He is the best ILB around.... So says the NFL TV people...

Oh... Wait... He is a Patriot now... His profile just changed...

Forget about the ACL, MCL, Minicus tear....
He is fast..... oh a 4.78 a 4.68 in Patriot news he is all over the place.....

i guess as fast as Spence... in Steeler terms...

Oh Spence is slow... He is faster than Hightower...
And has a good set of knees.

Farrior Fan
04-28-2012, 11:31 AM
It was just announced that Tom Brady has taken over at the right hand of God the Father Almighty and Belicheck was the actual maker of Heaven and earth.