PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent TE Leonard Pope visits Steelers..Signs 1 yr. deal

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Leonard Pope,a 6-foot-8 tight end who has shadowed Todd Haley from Arizona to Kansas City,has followed the Steelers new offensive coordinator to Pittsburgh -- at least for a visit today.

Pope has become only the second known unrestricted free agent to visit the Steelers this year. The Arizona Cardinals drafted him on the third round from Georgia in 2006. He played there for Haley when he was Arizona's offensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008.

Haley became Kansas City's head coach in 2009 and after the Cardinals cut Pope that September,the Chiefs signed him. He started 10 games for the Chiefs last season,when he caught 24 passes for 247 yards and one touchdown. In his six-year NFL career,Pope has 101 receptions for 973 yards and nine touchdowns.

The Steelers are searching for a No. 2 tight end behind Heath Miller. Wesleye Saunders,a rookie last season,has been suspended for the first four games of 2012 for violating the league's rule on the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The Steelers also have another tight end visiting them today,one of three draft prospects: Missouri tight end Michael Egnew, Akiem Hicks,who played college football at Regina in Canada,and linebacker Nick Perry of Southern Cal.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

connecticutsteel
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I watch ed a bunch of tape on hicks he was abeast in Canada bas he should have been .Imust say he got a raw deal from the NCAA cartel they could have ruined the kids life for accepting a ride from a student at lsu and living off campus witha former lsu player during the summer and they took his eligability away for that when every school does similar things

I think they should give Saunderts a chance it wasn't Steriods it was some other crap in a supplement

K Train
04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
He as followed haley everywhere

LatrobePA
04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Reports are he also shakes for Haley...

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Pope did good against us in 2011 didnt he, i remeber his name often in that game with KC.

LatrobePA
04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Pope did good against us in 2011 didnt he, i remeber his name often in that game with KC.

I do remember that... I'm sure Gay does as well! lol

JollyRob68
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
They signed him. Yeah a signing.

acero
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
really really tall signing

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Johnson is in trouble now.. Does he know the area code in indy?

jpele
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Take TE off the draft board. This signing serves several problems.
1: Saunders is suspended.
2: Pope is 6'8" which solves the red zone scoring problem.
Welcome to the Burgh.

strummerfan
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the Burgh.

It's also probably an indication of where they are going with the offensive scheme under Haley(Pope isn't known for his run blocking).

LatrobePA
04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I like!

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
With Haley now and a younger D, i keep thinking about us winning in 2012 on an average of like 28-23 instead of 20-16

ChucktownSteeler
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I predict our chances of scoring in the Red Zone just improved.

Good solid signing!

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the Burgh.

Leonard Pope (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3661/leonard-pope), a tight end who started 10 games for Kansas City last season, has signed with Pittsburgh.

The Steelers announced that Pope signed a one-year contract today (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Tight-End-Leonard-Pope/c5084117-2f37-4f0a-b09d-6c50628e6139).

Pope is coming off a 2011 season in which he caught a career-high 24 passes for 247 yards. Pope is a longtime favorite of new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, and he’ll head into training camp with the advantage of already knowing Haley’s offense. Pope has played for Haley in all of his NFL seasons except his rookie year: Haley was offensive coordinator of the Cardinals in 2007 and 2008, when Pope was their top tight end, and then Pope followed Haley to the Chiefs in 2009 when Haley became the head coach in Kansas City.

The 6-foot-8, 264-pound Pope was a third-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2006 NFL draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/10/steelers-sign-leonard-pope/

Nolrog
04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I like this deal. Not only is he a good additon, but he's a good character guy.

Saved a kid from drowning last year and has a charity foundation called CHAMP to help under privledged children.

connecticutsteel
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
This means it's probably Steel Curtains for Weslye Saunders as a Pittsburgh Steeler that sucks i was looking forward to him taking advantage of his second chance

Who cares about Johnson he produced a minimal amount of offense i would cut him and find a real fullback

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
:yellowthumb:

This means it's probably Steel Curtains for Weslye Saunders as a Pittsburgh Steeler that sucks i was looking forward to him taking advantage of his second chance

Who cares about Johnson he produced a minimal amount of offense i would cut him and find a real fullback

SteelDad
04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't count out Saunders just yet. If anything it signals Johnson's days are numbered and Saunders' suspension was more of a mistake than deliberate use of something illegal.

Either way the Pope signing is a good one and while I never dismiss drafting a good player regardless of position I do concur that this probably takes TE off the day one and two draft boards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't count out Saunders just yet. If anything it signals Johnson's days are numbered and Saunders' suspension was more of a mistake than deliberate use of something illegal.

Either way the Pope signing is a good one and while I never dismiss drafting a good player regardless of position I do concur that this probably takes TE off the day one and two draft boards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Not Saunders... 85 Johnson is on the ropes now.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
:scratch: Having a hard time getting excited about this signing.....

K Train
04-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the Burgh.
hes tall but lets not confuse height with touchdowns, hes not exactly cranking out the TDs over his career

LatrobePA
04-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Pope is like the OK looking chick hired at the warehouse of all dudes. After so long with out a signing anything looks good!!

Njsteelersnut
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I hope he is not going to be another Matt Sapeth, a tall tight end who did little in the red zone for us. I just hope we get some red zone production out of Pope.

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Pope is like the OK looking chick hired at the warehouse of all dudes. After so long with out a signing anything looks good!!

LOL!!!!

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Maybe a little buyers remorse is setting in.

Anyway, with Haley at the helm I expect the "Red Zone" offense to be much improved.

I am hanging my hat on the fact he has been with Haley on 2 or 3 teams now. Seems like Haley would have a good indication on his value and work ethic.

Plus Pope is a high character guy. IIRC he saves a drowning child a few years back and also has a great organization to help kids.

Anything has to be an improvement of Matt "waste of" Spaeth and rusty gate DJ.

C-town