PDA

View Full Version : How does Dontari Poe stack up against some of the nfl's best NT/DT (college stats only)

connecticutsteel
04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
DONTARI POE- 35 GAMES 30 STARTS (FOR MEMPHIS) 101 TACKLES 57SOLO 22 FOR A LOSS 4 FORCED FUMBLES 4 PASSES DEFENDED 5 SACKS

CASEY HAMPTON-37 GAMES 37 CONSECUTIVE STARTS(FOR U OF TEXAS) 329 TACKLES 177 SOLO 9 FORCED FUMBLES 56 QB HURRIES 1 SACK 19TH PICK IN RD 1

HALOTI NGATA-26 GAMES(U OF OREGON) 107 TACKLES 17 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 7 SACKS (7 BLOCKED KICKS) SPECIAL TEAMS 1 SAFETY 12TH PICK RD1

ZIGGY HOOD-36 GAMES(MIZZOU) 107 TACKLES 28 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 49 QB HURRIES 8 SACKS

32 PICK RD1

IF THIS WAS ALL THE INFO YOU HAD DO YOU THINK HE IS WORTHY OF A 1ST ROUND SELECTION ?

JollyRob68
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
DONTARI POE- 35 GAMES 30 STARTS (FOR MEMPHIS) 101 TACKLES 57SOLO 22 FOR A LOSS 4 FORCED FUMBLES 4 PASSES DEFENDED 5 SACKS

CASEY HAMPTON-37 GAMES 37 CONSECUTIVE STARTS(FOR U OF TEXAS) 329 TACKLES 177 SOLO 9 FORCED FUMBLES 56 QB HURRIES 1 SACK 19TH PICK IN RD 1

HALOTI NGATA-26 GAMES(U OF OREGON) 107 TACKLES 17 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 7 SACKS (7 BLOCKED KICKS) SPECIAL TEAMS 1 SAFETY 12TH PICK RD1

ZIGGY HOOD-36 GAMES(MIZZOU) 107 TACKLES 28 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 49 QB HURRIES 8 SACKS

32 PICK RD1

IF THIS WAS ALL THE INFO YOU HAD DO YOU THINK HE IS WORTHY OF A 1ST ROUND SELECTION ?

Poe isn't the classic NT however I believe we need more DLineman NT & 5tech. He would be a good 5 tech. Although its said that The Steelers like a long ( Aarron Smith type) 5tech and the best selection in the first round would be a Michael Brockers or Dont'a Hightower who can play ILB,OLB & 5Tech.

connecticutsteel
04-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I posted this mostly in his defense because all the so-called experts are saying the tape is average on Poe but noone knows what players can do till they get to the big leagues.I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform but it won't happen even if he is availible at 24

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
He's got the size and power to be a solid NT for a long time but filling the shoes of a guy like Hampton, even coming out of college, well he's got a long way to go. If his pro day wasn't as stellar as it was, would they even be talking about him being a top 15 pick?

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
all these alabama players in the top 32, are they all really gonna pan out in the nfl.

1 konz
2 brooks
3 NT
4 RB

connecticutsteel
04-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Poe isn't the classic NT however I believe we need more DLineman NT & 5tech. He would be a good 5 tech. Although its said that The Steelers like a long ( Aarron Smith type) 5tech and the best selection in the first round would be a Michael Brockers or Dont'a Hightower who can play ILB,OLB & 5Tech.Long 5 tech's how do you explain Ziggy Hood he looks like a volkswagen

K Train
04-10-2012, 11:07 AM
hes a 34 NT by size only at this point, hes not one in the traditional sense, but he is a dlineman in that he could play all over the line and collapse the pocket. Stats are useless when evaluating him, he was literally the best player on memphis...one of the least talented football teams in the nation, they lines him up where he would be most effective which changed all the time and wasnt always at NT. The idea of NTs taking up space so others can make plays only works when you have other play makers.

he would be a lineman that could line up all over the place and cause mismatches...not the typical steeler NT, and not the typical steeler 5 tech....but neither is mcclendon, woods, or hood.

K Train
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
all these alabama players in the top 32, are they all really gonna pan out in the nfl.

1 konz
2 brooks
3 NT
4 RB
ive dropped konz a little bit unless they really plan on playing him at C, im not a big fan of him at guard. but im a huge fan of pouncey at guard so idk

connecticutsteel
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
THEY WILL NEVER DRAFT Konz to play Center so he is off my board .he's not a guard

I wonder why he went to Memphis .Judging by his Major grades aren't an issue.I can only imagine if he went to Alabama or LSU somewhere like that

K Train
04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
THEY WILL NEVER DRAFT Konz to play Center so he is off my board .he's not a guard

I wonder why he went to Memphis .Judging by his Major grades aren't an issue.I can only imagine if he went to Alabama or LSU somewhere like that
Hometown team, it was a real recruiting gem for them. He turned down some other offers from big schools (ohio state, LSU, ect) and some people use the argument that (based on his memphis tape) he wouldnt have even started at those schools, i passionately disagree. Those schools crank out dlineman and have excellent coaching and weight training. Imo if he was an LSU tiger hed be a top 5 pick easily by now, but going to memphis did hinder his development, not because of shoddy coaching but because of a lack of talent around him

ChucktownSteeler
04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
The competition he faced at Memphis jumps off the board to me. Teams that play against Texas, Oregon, and Mizzou are a whole lot tougher than Memphis.

I stay with Hightower, Zeiter, and hopefully "steal" Chapman or Wolfe in the third.

ILB currently on roster to replace Farrior: Foot, Stephenson

Yoi!

C-town

K Train
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
it might jump initially, but think about even lower competition being able to key in on him as their best player and really not worry to much about the mediocrity surrounding him. Hes not a finished product, but hes got a lot to work with

connecticutsteel
04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree Ktrain but i will add inadequate coaching and lack of talent around him.a winning coach gets the most out of his player urban meyer or Saban would have wound Poe up so tight he would have dominated games 350 pounds with 44 inch arms pounding on your chest like a police battering ram would kill any fat o-linemen