PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger using Golf to prepare for the 2012 NFL season

BlitzburghRockCity
04-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Read this other day and laughed to myself a bit but I guess it makes sense to some degree. It will keep his mind sharp I suppose; I'm not much of a golfer so I can't speak to it that much. I do play mini golf though :whistle:

I'd rather see him out doing workouts with his wide receivers and tight ends but that will come in time. I hope he reports to all the OTA's since those aren't usually mandatory for veterans.

Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) is trying a different approach to his offseason conditioning.

Rather than committing himself fully to gridiron work, Roethlisberger recently told Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ro-rogers_ben_roethlisberger_steelers_golf_ireland_04 0612) that he plans to tee off at a dozen courses during a marathon golf trip that he says will keep him sharp for the upcoming football season.

"Golf is such a mental challenge, and as frustrating as it can be sometimes, it can definitely make you stronger," Roethlisberger said. "Playing some great courses in a setting like Ireland and Scotland will be pretty awesome, but it is also a great way to keep your mind sharp."

Roethlisberger will visit both countries in June.

"It is going to be pretty hardcore," Roethlisberger said. "I will be playing something like 12 courses in 10 days and they are some of the very best ones that you can find. I'm going to the K Club, St Andrews and a bunch of others."
Of the 12 courses, several have hosted either the British Open or European Tour events. Roethlisberger is an avid golfer and once dated LPGA star Natalie Gulbis.

Last season, the Steelers lost in overtime to the Denver Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) in the AFC wild-card game, a game in which Roethlisberger played on a badly injured ankle, among other ailments.
"Normally, you finally start to feel good physically, and then training camp starts and it begins all over again," Roethlisberger told the website. "This time it has been a bit tougher to get myself right but I will be good and ready to go."

JensK
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
While Golf is a great sport and really keeps your mind "focused" so to speak, you do not get in great shape by it. Sure, you walk some miles every day and you use a lot of different muscles, but there is a reason that all competitive golf players nowadays spent a lot of time in the weight room; because golf itself don't provide the required conditioning to be successful.

LarryNJ
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Hahaha...BS Ben!

Enjoy your vacation!

I wonder if the wife will be golfing with him, shopping or is this a guys trip?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Remember earlier this offseason he talked about wanting to come into camp in the best shape of his life? Maybe he thinks this is the best way to do that? :lol:

LatrobePA
04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
As long as he's using golf and not his penis this offseason I'm fine!!

ChucktownSteeler
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I was hoping he would be in the film room a little more. Hopefully once camp starts he becomes more a "student" of the game, especially with a new offense to grasp.

C-town

gtadroptop
04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
In what other sport can you grip your putter, wash your balls and try to score a hole-in-one? :hehheh:

I am so going to rot in Hell for that. :smh:

connecticutsteel
04-09-2012, 12:36 PM
10 courses in 12 days thats a **** ton of walking even with a cart.It's better than doing 12 ounce curls in georgia and chasing women

JShare86
04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
This guy is a clown. Everything that comes out of his mouth is complete garbage. He is however great at football so I try not to listen to him

LatrobePA
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
This guy is a clown. Everything that comes out of his mouth is complete garbage. He is however great at football so I try not to listen to him

You'll get flamed! BUT I agree 100000000000000%!!

xBlitzBurghx
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
time to get the popcorn

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Njsteelersnut
04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Ben's biggest knock has been his lack of putting in that extra time both on and off the field. He was criticized in the past for being the last one in and the first one out of the facility.
In my opinion Ben should be spending all his time to learn the new system, and finally making the commitment to go that extra mile to fully prepare himself to make himself an even better player.

LarryNJ
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
While I agree that he needs to spend more time getting in shape and studying. It's crazy to think he can't take a vacation and relax. He may very well be working out before he goes golfing.

JShare86
04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm not telling any grown man how to live their life. He don't need to spend more time studying he's not that kind of player. All I was trying to say is that he is full of garbage. Seriously Berger golf is going to make u a better player this year? Just be a honest adult and say I wanna take a break and go on a golfing trip. Im all for people enjoying life. He's just trying to make it out to be something it's not. That's Ben for you though.

chisteeler
04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
He always says that his goal is to win more Championships than Bradshaw, so I guess if playing golf is how to achieve that goal, then by God tee up Ben.