PDA

View Full Version : Will We See The return of the FB??

BlacknGoldHaze
04-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Now that Haley is running the show, what are the prospects of bringing back the nemesis of Bruce Arians..the FB?

IMO, David Johnson ain't the answer...look at Jon Kuhn in Greenbay....it still kills me that we let him get away!

acero
04-08-2012, 01:10 AM
hard to say, TH is known to play the strengh of the roster probably if he finds one he would but its a personnal thing

BlacknGoldHaze
04-08-2012, 01:43 AM
hard to say, TH is known to play the strengh of the roster probably if he finds one he would but its a personnal thing

Imagine what Mendy could do with a true FB leading the way....look at the success of Hynoski in NY. Sucks that he wanted to be a Steeler but we showed him no interest.....:eek1:

wyn50
04-08-2012, 06:23 AM
As long as the fb can catch the ball too, I would be for it. That's why Arians used a TE.

Nolrog
04-08-2012, 06:36 AM
Having a true FB would help out quite a bit.

greg1964
04-08-2012, 07:55 AM
As long as the fb can catch the ball too, I would be for it. That's why Arians used a TE.

Since when did D. Johnson catch the ball: If the Steelers go three or four WR the have and have Mendenhall or Redman in the backfield they have plentley of options and need the FB to be a blocker.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-08-2012, 08:35 AM
According to recent statements by Ben, they don't need a FB to run the ball effectively. That's still the Bruce Arians talking through him if you ask me though. I would love to see the return of a true FB to the roster, using a TE as a FB is never the answer. If you want to truly commit to running the ball, doing it like you used too in terms of effectiveness, then you get yourself a FB and let him do his job.

I was mad when they let Kuhn go as well but BA would never have any part of an FB on his roster.

LatrobePA
04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Change Legs number to 44 and let him have the job!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
If the OL was actually good and could dominate the LOS it wouldn't even matter if the Steelers had a FB or not....John Kuhn.....really? everytime I see him score one of his famous 1 yard TD runs or catch one of this 1 yard TD passes I always think of some you yinzers.......we should have kept John Kuhn......lol I think its safe to say with all the offensive talent the Pack have that John Kuhn is just along for the ride in the Packers offense....lol

connecticutsteel
04-08-2012, 11:21 AM
The way i see it is good line or not a full back is a necessary position. The Texans use a fullback and there running game is awesome plus the more blockers the better .

ChucktownSteeler
04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I would love to have seen more of the pony backfield with Mendy and Redman, myself. It seemed to have great results when used. I loved quick hitters with Redman up the gut.

Overall I would like to see more imagination in the running game. Not necessarily more running plays, but more imagination in the design of such.

Overall, the key is balance and keeping the defense guessing. That and execution.

Great post, Haze!

C-town

cbrunn
04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
didn't we just sign that FB from the West Virginia pro day?? ... i forget his name and don't feel like looking it up ... but i doubt they draft one since they have him now ... he ran in the 4.5 range and benched 30 reps ...and said he looked real good catching the ball too ... said the tomlin and colbert pulled some sneaky stuff because they didn't want any other teams to get a look at him

strummerfan
04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
didn't we just sign that FB from the West Virginia pro day?? ... i forget his name and don't feel like looking it up ... but i doubt they draft one since they have him now ... he ran in the 4.5 range and benched 30 reps ...and said he looked real good catching the ball too ... said the tomlin and colbert pulled some sneaky stuff because they didn't want any other teams to get a look at him

I can't remember his name either, but he played TE.

strummerfan
04-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I've been watching some Chiefs and Cardinals videos and it wouldn't surprise me if Haley DOESN'T bring back a true fullback. In the vids I watched his offenses were very similar to what we've seen over the last few years. There were times that they would line up in the I or an offset I, but there were also a lot of single back formations etc.

JollyRob68
04-08-2012, 12:58 PM
His name is Will Johnson. youtube him and you will be happy. He's more HB however he runs routes,lead blocks and should make the team. I'd also like them to bring in Owen Schmitt & Lenard Pope.

strummerfan
04-08-2012, 01:17 PM
His name is Will Johnson. youtube him and you will be happy. He's more HB however he runs routes,lead blocks and should make the team. I'd also like them to bring in Owen Schmitt & Lenard Pope.

That's him, apparently he was originally a WR and converted to TE/HB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwkrBkagkQ

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I've been watching some Chiefs and Cardinals videos and it wouldn't surprise me if Haley DOESN'T bring back a true fullback. In the vids I watched his offenses were very similar to what we've seen over the last few years. There were times that they would line up in the I or an offset I, but there were also a lot of single back formations etc.

exactly.......

coldrolled
04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Perfect. Hope he make it. Plus if we make him 85 we save on lettering...

BlacknGoldHaze
04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
The way i see it is good line or not a full back is a necessary position. The Texans use a fullback and there running game is awesome plus the more blockers the better .

WORD!