PDA

View Full Version : The Brown-Wallace Debate

SteelDad
04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
As much as I really don't care for social media I have found that it has provided me with a useful method of getting to know players.

If you looked at Tweets from Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown side-by-side you'd think they were from different planets at times. One is typically positive and enthusiastic while the other is difficult to read and can be downright negative.

I realize I'm a middle-aged white guy who doesn't 'get it,' but I feel pretty confident in being able to tell which of these two guys the Steelers would like to have long term.

Obviously on field abilities are just slightly more important than ability to Tweet but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out who the front office is leaning to should both have similar seasons in 2012.

Food for thought I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

JoeSteelerFan
04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Wallace - Straight line speed

Brown - Complete package

It's really that simple. As much as I hate to agree with the walking polska kilbosa Mark Madden, I agree with his assertion that "Wallace wants to be a star ..... not necessarily a Steeler"

I also agree that I really wish Steelers players stayed the hell off of Twitter. For some, they don't have the skills necessary to rep the brand they work for, for others .... it only provides an avenue for outside fans to truly see how spoiled and immature they really are. Very few do it well ....

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-wallace-wants-to-be-a-star-not-a-steeler/article_3f4cb673-9733-519a-b60a-c02ec73d2870.html

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Why can't the Steelers have both?....Its not impossible for them to do so........I love Antonio Brown but one thing to keep in mind he really has just one year of being productive.......Plus having Mike Wallace helped AB greatly.......I'm not knocking AB at all and he is one of my favorite Steelers....I love lower round picks that bust their tails to become good players....But we have to see it from AB again.....No doubt Mike Wallace has some things that leave you scratching your head times but he has proven to get better and better every year he has been in the NFL......I want both to be Pittsburgh Steelers for the long term......

ChucktownSteeler
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I would like to keep both as well, but that is a two-way street. As it was said above, he may not have a problem bolting to another team either.

At this point I like A. Brown just a tad bit better.

ChucktownSteeler

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I would like to keep both as well, but that is a two-way street. As it was said above, he may not have a problem bolting to another team either.

At this point I like A. Brown just a tad bit better.

ChucktownSteeler

I understand the choice is also up to Mike Wallace on remaining a Steeler long term....But I think to many Steelers fans already think Mike Wallace won't be here long term.......ESPN, NFL Network, etc etc etc reported all off-season that Mike Wallace would be signed by the Pats, Bengals, Ravens, 49ers, Rams, whatever team with cap space even though he was restricted FA....As we see Mike Wallace is still a Steeler.......All I'm saying there is time for the Steelers and Wallace to work out a long term deal......

coldrolled
04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
He will have to visit a team sometime this week to make a deal before the 20th right?

So this coming week could get interesting.

Did wallace actually meet with the 49ers?

cbrunn
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
you got to understand Wallace opened up a ton of allies for Brown to work ... with every defense HAVING to keep a safety over top of Wallace ... matter of fact i dare teams to go into this season and don't have a safety over top Wallace and keep try to stop Brown...Wallace had like how many straight games of 100 + yard receiving?? then teams HAD TO STOP HIM... main priority of defenses was to stop Wallace from getting deep ... walla on comes the emergence of Brown down the stretch ... Just saying i think they need each other ...and i think both will be a Steeler long term

gtadroptop
04-07-2012, 01:55 PM
A Brown-Wallace long term tandem could rival Stallworth-Swann. Hope it happens, but I already have Wallace written off. I just don't see the front office bending over backwards for him.

KemoTherapy
04-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Would certainly like Wallace to stay, but not at the expense of an ungodly contract which hamstings the club in other areas. Also, with him gone maybe Ben becomes a little less long pass happy and you get addition by subtraction.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
If Wallace has another 1000 yd season he'll be wanting Larry Johnson type money even more than he does now. I still don't think he's anywhere near the complete receiver that Fitz is but you know he'll be asking for a metric ton of cash.

I like both Brown and Sanders from a social media standpoint, both of them engage the fans and show a positive outlook on their careers and life. Wallace just complains way too much and appears to be so full of himself that he can't see past the mirror.

None of us knows him on the inside, and perhaps he does want to truly remain a Steeler. I hope that is the case, but right now he doesn't seem like the type of guy that is going to take a bit less to stay in Pittsburgh like say Hines Ward did in the past. I would love to say that the Steelers can have both guys but I think more will depend on Wallace than it will the Steelers next year.

ChucktownSteeler
04-07-2012, 04:16 PM
If we don't sign him long term teams can wait until after this season and he is an UFA. I don't know if we can franchise him again or not. If another team snags him this year, they have to pony up their #1 pick to us. That could be taking a little wind out of his sails as well.

I like Brown, Sanders, Crocthery trio as well.

C-town

xBlitzBurghx
04-07-2012, 06:00 PM
I like them both. Keep them both.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

86WARD
04-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Keep both, get rid of Mendenhall.

Njsteelersnut
04-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I hope they re-sign Wallace, but not for the amount money he is allegedly asking for. And as far as Brown goes I think he has better hands than Wallace and may turn out to be a more complete receiver than Wallace. I hope we can figure out a way to get both these guys signed to longnterm deals.

SteelDad
04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm assuming my bro BlitzburghRockCity meant Larry Fitzgerald not Larry Johnson.... LoL

No question Brown benefited from Wallace's presence. That makes a huge difference in the approach of the defense and certainly the offense. I'm really not sure what we would look like with just Brown but as Joe mentioned, he is a more complete package and a guy with more versatility.

Oh and Joe? Stay here with us man. We have cookies, they don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlacknGoldHaze
04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't have been totally upset to see Wallace go, if it meant a high draft choice as compensation....love the guy but I would rather wrap up Antonio Brown long-term.

Brown brings more to the table and he catches EVERYTHING thrown his way....has nifty moves and the heart of a champion. Mark my words, AB will be a great one!

BlacknGoldHaze
04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Keep both, get rid of Mendenhall.

:lol: Not a chance...Mendy is going nowhere!!

BlacknGoldHaze
04-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I like Brown, Sanders, Crocthery trio as well.

C-town

Agreed Chuck.....we must sign Cotchery!

LevonKirkland99
04-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Wasn'r Ward the only Steeler WR they gave a contract extension to in 2006 or so and he had to fight to get it. They may keep Wallace as they need the speed...

elephantman
04-08-2012, 12:14 PM
the whole idea that Wallace makes Brown better is probably true, but would be interesting to see what happens or would have happened had Wallace missed a game last yr....thats when we would know a bit more...the steelers need to see what Brown can do w/out wallce...not asking for a wallace injury, but hey maybe just sit him one game against the Browns to seee what happens ..lol

One Raven D player (cant remember name) even said that Brown is the tougher receiver to cover FWIW

JollyRob68
04-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I understand the choice is also up to Mike Wallace on remaining a Steeler long term....But I think to many Steelers fans already think Mike Wallace won't be here long term.......ESPN, NFL Network, etc etc etc reported all off-season that Mike Wallace would be signed by the Pats, Bengals, Ravens, 49ers, Rams, whatever team with cap space even though he was restricted FA....As we see Mike Wallace is still a Steeler.......All I'm saying there is time for the Steelers and Wallace to work out a long term deal......

I just have a feeling based on ArtII's comments that Wallace & His agent Bus Cook aren't negotiating and Wallace is ok with playing for 2.7 mil this year. Then becoming a UFA or get franchised next year.

JollyRob68
04-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I'd love them to sign him to a long term deal before the draft and they have time before the start of the season.
IF he's not signed before the draft we'll read into any WR the bring in for visits and if the sign one in the first two round we'll go ape sh*t with worry. I believe we'll take a WR in this draft but I was thinking 5th round or later.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-08-2012, 03:59 PM
It's not a foregone conclusion that Wallace will be gone, I've said all along that I think they'll sign him long term before preseason is over. However you just have to wonder how much he's going to listen to Hines Ward telling him it's not always all about the money, etc.

Wallace is young, talented, and seems to have a bit of an arrogant side to him. That isn't a bad thing but sometimes these young guys see dollar signs and just run to them.

ChucktownSteeler
04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
It's not a foregone conclusion that Wallace will be gone, I've said all along that I think they'll sign him long term before preseason is over. However you just have to wonder how much he's going to listen to Hines Ward telling him it's not always all about the money, etc.

Wallace is young, talented, and seems to have a bit of an arrogant side to him. That isn't a bad thing but sometimes these young guys see dollar signs and just run to them.

I agree, I want him back as well, as long as it does not want to break the bank and cause monetary issues within the team. One of the things I admire about the Steelers is their ability as a club to check the egos at the door and pull together for the greater good of the team. We have a ton of talent at the WR position, hopefully we can keep them all long term to far and equitable contracts.

C-town

CowherPower
04-08-2012, 04:56 PM
We have to remember too, Wallace isn't a complete receiver so even though he can't do all the things we want, it doesn't mean he won't be able too. He's relied on his flat out speed so far in his career, now it's time to take his game to the next step and make more of those tough catches in traffic. Just go up and fight for the ball!

Njsteelersnut
04-09-2012, 09:07 AM
CowherPower, I totally agree, Wallace needs to show he can do more than just outrun coverages. Its time to become the complete package, and fighting for the ball is part of that equation.

Big T
04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Antonio Brown is a great complement to Mike Wallace but he's not a number one receiver at all. Last season he benefited from Wallace being constantly doubled. Brown is a very good two, he's not a one.

strummerfan
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Antonio Brown is a great complement to Mike Wallace but he's not a number one receiver at all. Last season he benefited from Wallace being constantly doubled. Brown is a very good two, he's not a one.

As it stands Brown is probably closer to a complete receiver than Wallace. The potential is there for Wallace to be great but he has to start running better routes, fighting for the ball, and using his hands.

ChucktownSteeler
04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
As it stands Brown is probably closer to a complete receiver than Wallace. The potential is there for Wallace to be great but he has to start running better routes, fighting for the ball, and using his hands.

Completely agree.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Unfortunately it's most of the league that runs to the money.....

FeelSteel
04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
I think people forget what the most important benefit of a burner is.... coverage. Wallace takes the top off of the defense allowing for the underneath game to flourish. If you take Wallace from the Steelers offense Brown isn't going to be the same player.

With that said... I would rather find a speed guy to replace Wallace instead of finding a replacement for Brown.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Antonio Brown is benefiting from the extra coverage that Wallace is taking the same way Wallace benefited from Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes. Secondaries roll the extra coverage towards the biggest threat. Even though he isn't the best at catching balls in coverage he can still outrun anybody in the league.

It will be interesting to see how teams defend the Steelers next year, will the coverage roll towards Wallace or Brown?

VMoss
04-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Completely agree.
Are we all forgetting about who the Vikings picked in the 1998 NFL Draft? Randy Moss' who's career is built on running the same 2 or 3 routes that Mike Wallace does made him arguably one of the best receivers to ever play football. Wallace can be one of those type of players. Wallace actually have a better work ethic then Moss and could possibly be faster. I honestly don't see why it is a problem for Mike to ask for that type of money because he has proven that he is only going yo get better as his career goes along. The Steelers front office knows what they are doing, they know Mike is going to get better and they know no team is going to sign him for that much so he will have to come back next season. Hopefully by then we can chalk up something that will keep him in the black and yellow. I love Antonio Brown, but he's not a Steve Smith or a Hines Ward so he isn't a number one. We have to see more from him. Besides, he's our best return man, we don't want to give that up. Name any number one receiver who returned punts and kickoffs and was a consistent number one receiver?

strummerfan
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Are we all forgetting about who the Vikings picked in the 1998 NFL Draft? Randy Moss' who's career is built on running the same 2 or 3 routes that Mike Wallace does made him arguably one of the best receivers to ever play football. Wallace can be one of those type of players. Wallace actually have a better work ethic then Moss and could possibly be faster. I honestly don't see why it is a problem for Mike to ask for that type of money because he has proven that he is only going yo get better as his career goes along. The Steelers front office knows what they are doing, they know Mike is going to get better and they know no team is going to sign him for that much so he will have to come back next season. Hopefully by then we can chalk up something that will keep him in the black and yellow. I love Antonio Brown, but he's not a Steve Smith or a Hines Ward so he isn't a number one. We have to see more from him. Besides, he's our best return man, we don't want to give that up. Name any number one receiver who returned punts and kickoffs and was a consistent number one receiver?

Louis Lipps

VMoss
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Louis Lipps
A career return man and number one receiver. Not someone that did it for two seasons or a couple of games.

Real Deal Steel
04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
I don't mind Wallace wanting more money but what kills me is that everybody has to be paid more then the last guy. How does Wallace think he should get Fitzgerald money?? There is no justification for his thinking other then greed.

We are going to a more balanced offense so the pass will not be as prominent as the last two years. With that in mind, having Wallace is not a priority.

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
How much money does he want? Isn't it more than Ben or even Troy? I don't think that can be justified.

I am sure we all agree he is worth more than the tender, but not more than a franchise QB or former DPOY.

C-town

strummerfan
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
How much money does he want? Isn't it more than Ben or even Troy? I don't think that can be justified.

I am sure we all agree he is worth more than the tender, but not more than a franchise QB or former DPOY.

C-town

It was reported/rumored that SanFRan was told he wanted a Larry Fitzgerald sized contract(120,000,000).

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
It was reported/rumored that SanFRan was told he wanted a Larry Fitzgerald sized contract(120,000,000).

Over how many years, 10? That projects to 12 million a year, making him the highest paid Steeler (if my math is correct). I don't see this happening or being justified. I could see him in the 5 to 6 million a year range.

Thoughts?

C-town

strummerfan
04-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Over how many years, 10? That projects to 12 million a year, making him the highest paid Steeler (if my math is correct). I don't see this happening or being justified. I could see him in the 5 to 6 million a year range.

Thoughts?

C-town

I think the Fitz contract was 8 years 120million. At this point I think that(5million) might be a little high for him. He basically is just really fast. Until he stops using his body to catch the ball and starts running better routes it's hard to justify that much money on a one trick pony. He's got the potential to be special; however, there are a 1,000 players before him that haven't lived up to their potential.

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I think the Fitz contract was 8 years 120million. At this point I think that(5million) might be a little high for him. He basically is just really fast. Until he stops using his body to catch the ball and starts running better routes it's hard to justify that much money on a one trick pony. He's got the potential to be special; however, there are a 1,000 players before him that haven't lived up to their potential.

Man, great minds think alike. I have said that Wallace is a one trick pony before (although a good trick). Seems like his production dropped off a bit last year (could be for many reasons, not all his fault). I just think the money he wants is way out of line. I agree, he needs to fight for the ball more and become a DB when need be. I think he is 1 contract away from this type of money, at least. Also, if we want this type of receiver that stretches the field vertically we have to improve the line big time to allow for the play to develop. It became woefully obvious last season that we did not have the type of O-Line for the type of pass plays we wanted.

C-town

gtadroptop
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I think he believes he's a better player than he really is right now. He has to get over himself before he can bring out his potential. IMHO. Until then, no Fitz money yet.

strummerfan
04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Man, great minds think alike. I have said that Wallace is a one trick pony before (although a good trick). Seems like his production dropped off a bit last year (could be for many reasons, not all his fault). I just think the money he wants is way out of line. I agree, he needs to fight for the ball more and become a DB when need be. I think he is 1 contract away from this type of money, at least. Also, if we want this type of receiver that stretches the field vertically we have to improve the line big time to allow for the play to develop. It became woefully obvious last season that we did not have the type of O-Line for the type of pass plays we wanted.

C-town

He took a solid shot last year around the midpoint of the season and then started looking a little timid to me. Every now and then we would see him kind of slide when contact was imminent.

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I think he believes he's a better player than he really is right now. He has to get over himself before he can bring out his potential. IMHO. Until then, no Fitz money yet.

GTA - What does your screen name reference, if you don't mind me asking?

gtadroptop
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
GTA - What does your screen name reference, if you don't mind me asking?

It's a screen name I use on other boards. Totally non-Steelers related. It refers to my toy - a 1967 Mustang GT/A convertible.

Deviouz1
04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
i have become completely disillusioned with wallace. as far as im concerned hes not a steeler. he's just a guy in the locker room that is more interested in his wallet than becoming a great. a prima donna with an enormous head that cant fill the shoes he's bought. even if he does sign, stick him on the bench to rot. let him hold out, let him complain, let him cry , hell let him go home and watch from the comfort of his lazboy.

ChucktownSteeler
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
It's a screen name I use on other boards. Totally non-Steelers related. It refers to my toy - a 1967 Mustang GT/A convertible.

Thought it may be a reference to a car. Nice!

I have an '04 drop top Beemer.

gtadroptop
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Thought it may be a reference to a car. Nice!

I have an '04 drop top Beemer.

:threadjack:

Very cool!

:closedtopic:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I said at the beginning of the 2011 season that this was a big year for Wallace. He needed to learn to deal with extra coverage and make more catches in traffic. Ward was still taking a bit of the double coverage in 2010 so Wallace had the advantage of man to man a lot and he could just flat out run by and NB or Safety he played against.

Brown benefited last year from Wallace the same way Mike did with Hines and Santonio. Can Brown overcome the extra coverage a 2000 yd all purpose player will see?

Goodfrom55
04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I think a lot hinges on how much wiggle room they have beyond 2012 with the cap. I predict he will sign the tender, go to OTA's and minicamp, and have a productive year. Beyond that? who knows. AB emerged in large part because of the bracket coverage put on Wallace, but putting them side by side, I prefer AB over Wallace becuase he is hungry, more talented, and IMO, better hands. Wallace needs to do what Woody did when he was tagged; sign it, and let the contract stuff take care of itself. Wallace is good, but far from great, and I don't believe he is in the same league as Larry Fitzgerald. I say something in the neighborhood of 5 years, 42 million, 24 guaranteed. But if he is going to be an *** about this situation, then let him go to the highest bidder and their mediocre QB, and watch Wallace turn into Randle-El.

coldrolled
04-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Haley is gonna have a great time with all our WR's I think Wallace is dumb to leave this year. Haley made a great arial assult with fitz, boldin, breaston.. and someone else i cant remember...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Both Arians and Haley run offenses that feature star players, the difference IMO with Haley is that he can adapt his offense to the personnel and style of the team. He's got the weapons here and should be able to get the most out of all of them. Arians was just pass pass pass. No matter how much he preached about using Mendenhall as his workhorse he clearly perferred the pass and the run game suffered.