PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Steelers take with their compensatory picks?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Total of 4 picks in the 7th round now, their original 7th rounder plus 3 comp picks just announced today at the owners meetings.

@ScottBrown_Trib: Steelers awarded three compensatory picks in seventh round. That gives them four seventh-round picks in this year's draft.

strummerfan
03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
4 of the BPA

lol

K Train
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
lol take 3 kickers with the intentions of keeping one, someone has to stick

JollyRob68
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Scott Weidge OC/OG NIU(might be gone in 6st),A kicker,OT,DL. I like Melvin Johnson NT MArshall but want him in rd 5/6.

Real Deal Steel
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Kickers and other special team players.

JensK
03-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Use them to trade up in the other rounds! :(

strummerfan
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Use them to trade up in the other rounds! :(

Sadly you can't trade compensatory picks.

JensK
03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Sadly you can't trade compensatory picks.

That is interesting. I honestly did not know that. 3 picks in the seventh round is just so... well not useless, but I'm not exactly happy about it either. It is just 3 more bodies who most likely won't see the field ever.

strummerfan
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
That is interesting. I honestly did not know that. 3 picks in the seventh round is just so... well not useless, but I'm not exactly happy about it either. It is just 3 more bodies who most likely won't see the field ever.

I agree with you to an extent; however, it does allow them to grab a few fringe players that normally would be a UDFA gamble. Also don't forget that players like FWP, Kiesel,Redman, Batch were all late round draft picks or UDFA. If they do their homework there can be significant value there.

JensK
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree with you to an extent; however, it does allow them to grab a few fringe players that normally would be a UDFA gamble. Also don't forget that players like FWP, Kiesel,Redman, Batch were all late round draft picks or UDFA. If they do their homework there can be significant value there.

They obviously can get value there, I'm just not at all sure they will. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about getting extra draft picks... You'd be a strange person to do so, but I'm just not jumping up and down over it. I'm always a proponent of getting fewer and better picks rather than many late round picks. There is just too many Frank Summers per Antonio Browns.

coach
03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Every team has a bunch of UDFAs they want to sign at the end of day 3. This gives us kind of exclusive rights to 3 of them. I'll bet at least one of them sticks. Look at the number of UDFAs that come in every year and make it. I am not suggesting that they often beat out guys who are drafted in front of them, but how many times have we hard some announcer say, "can you believe this guy went undrafted; what were the scouts thinking...." or something like that.

connecticutsteel
04-04-2012, 02:07 AM
3 good 7th round prospects