PDA

View Full Version : What will the Steelers do with Max Starks now?

CowherPower
03-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I came across an article this evening on Fox Sports by Alex Marvez, and it got me thinking a bit about how much of a chance Max Starks will have to come back this season either as a starter or backup.

You guys think there's any chance they bring him back? I would like to see him sign maybe a 2 yr. deal but with the cap situation as it is now I don't know how likely it is.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are in a holding pattern with their starting left tackle. Speaking with me and co-host Jim Miller on Sirius XM NFL Radio, Max Starks said Friday that he isn't expecting to talk about a new contract with the Steelers until he makes more strides in recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Injured in a first-round playoff loss to Denver, Starks plans to run for Steelers brass in June to give the team an indication of his health. "There has been expressed interest but it all stems from my ACL recovery," Starks said while attending the NFL Players Association meeting in Marco Island, Fla. "I'll be back there to do an evaluation with the doctors and coaches and talk to them. "It's my intent that I have the opportunity to go back there, but I know the reality is I'm not going to get a legitimate look until June for my knee when I can actually run off the ACL injury.

That will really determine what team I go to." Starks, 30, already is able to walk up and down stairs without crutches or noticeable difficulty. The 6-foot-8, 345-pound Starks also is much slimmer and more muscular than last spring when his weight ballooned following neck surgery. A combination of salary and injury concerns led the Steelers to release Starks during the 2011 offseason. Starks was re-signed during the season and became an immediate starter for Pittsburgh's final 13 games. Although he left the door open for signing elsewhere, Starks still refers to his fellow Steelers offensive linemen as "us" and "ours." Starks laughed when questioned about that. "That's been my whole entire career," said Starks, who has spent all eight of his NFL seasons in Pittsburgh. "That's all I know." If Starks signs elsewhere, the Steelers are prepared to name Marcus Gilbert as his replacement.

Here's the full article (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/starks_uncertain_of_future_with_steelers/10389724)

coldrolled
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Sign him for 2 years and put him on IR

Number99
03-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Starks' return to the Steelers depends on two things. His ACL and how well Gilbert and Colon play. I'd love to see him comeback but I'm just not seeing it.

LatrobePA
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
His ACL was torn once but Hamptons twice so we resign the worse of the two, makes great sense! I hate this team being so nice to the vets! Do like Bill does and cut them or trade them!!

Nolrog
03-25-2012, 07:12 AM
They'll see how he heals during the year and bring him back for depth if needed.

Nolrog
03-25-2012, 07:14 AM
I hate this team being so nice to the vets! Do like Bill does and cut them or trade them!!

That's a pretty odd comment, considering Farrior, Aaron Smith, Hines and Kemo.

jpele
03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
His ACL was torn once but Hamptons twice so we resign the worse of the two, makes great sense! I hate this team being so nice to the vets! Do like Bill does and cut them or trade them!!

Hampton was retained because of the NT situation, Steve McLendon is a fill in not a replacement maybe in time he'll be able to take over for Hampton .

Agreed

elephantman
03-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Do like Bill does and cut them or trade them!!

^ yes trading Richard Seymour turned out great, their only great Defensive player...thats the one player away from a SB they parted with

LatrobePA
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Lol those guys were done.. Hampton fits right in that group.

Big snack seen very little playing time and we were fine.

JollyRob68
03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
They're going to see him in June. I'd sign him and bring him into camp. The owners are going to make a change to the IR rules so that a person can be brought back if they're hurt in camp.

connecticutsteel
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
The problem is that Starks is entering his 9th season so he has earned the right to start if they sign him it will be his last contract so i doubt he will take a pay cut he won't come back for veterans minimum..Which is fine .but i hope Gilbert is ready to play Left Tackle in the big league.Personally i think we would be better off Drafting Konz and moving POUNCEY TO Guard then it would be Gilbert-Legursky-Konz-Pouncey-Colon that's a pretty killer o-line.

BubbyBlister
03-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Sign the sob and that line last year before Stark came back look like a Kraft dinner without the cheese.

strummerfan
03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
If he's healthy in makes sense to bring him back. At worst it gives us a decent backup at a reasonable price.

Nolrog
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
The problem is that Starks is entering his 9th season so he has earned the right to start if they sign him

Just because it's his 9th season doesn't mean he's earned the right to anything. He'll start if he's the best guy for the job, not because he's been around the longest.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2012, 01:44 PM
OT Max Starks (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493075/max-starks) could conceivably return to the Steelers, GM Kevin Colbert said. "That is still a possibility. We have to monitor it because it is unique to his [ACL] injury situation," Colbert told Steelers.com. Same for a healthy RB Mewelde Moore (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493016/mewelde-moore), he added. "We haven't done much in free agency, nor do we plan on it at this point, but that can change" by the season, Colbert said.

From our friend Chuck Finder at CBS Sportsline

JensK
03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
So many factors playing in right now. How is his health? How will the cap situation look like come TC? What kind of money will he demand? How will the draft pan out? I don't see any harm in bringing him back, although I would very much like Gilbert to take over that LT spot sooner rather than later.