PDA

View Full Version : Cotchery to visit Chiefs

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
What are we waiting for? sign him already. Are we in that bad of shape that we can't sign one mid level free agent? I know it's just a visit but why are we waiting so long are we waiting on Wallace?

coldrolled
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Sign 89..... Geeeeeeez...

We have so much depth paid well, we cant pay anyone else. we even pay our IR guys. Cut them if were broke.

strummerfan
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Just because a deal hasn't been made doesn't mean they haven't been working on it. You have to remember that Cotchery has a no allegiance to the Steelers and he's going to shop his services around to get the highest contract possible. As for Wallace he's not getting 15million a year from the Steelers and the odds are good no other team is willing to pay that plus a 1st round draft pick.

LatrobePA
03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
If we let him walk we deserve to lose!

You have Sanders which can't stay healthy and Wallace that can only run deep. You need more than one WR to work the middle.

Number99
03-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Lots of speculation going on this year. If Cotchery signs with another team can you blame him? But nothing is final yet. Visits don't always pan out into contracts. Now if the offense is to become more balanced then is having ur 4th wr earn a mid level contract a priority? Sure ideally you want good depth and good back ups, but this year the cap is not going to work out to the most ideal situation. With the restraints that the Steelers have there will be areas that wont be allowed to be as strong as last year. The 4th wr looks to be one of those areas. If Wallace is to stay like it looks like its going to happen and Brown and Sanders stay healthy (yea I know Sanders has had his issues) then the wr group will be ok with whoever they have as the 4th and 5th.
I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers draft a wr with a mid round pick in anticapation of the situation coming up in 2013. Just have faith that Colbert and Co know what they're doing.

FeelSteel
03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Cotchery would like to be a little more than a #4 WR on the depth chart of the Pittsburgh Steelers. With Wallace, Brown and Sanders the 1,2,3 (more than likely) Cotchery is really just a #4 or #3 if he competes with Sanders.

I agree though, I like Cotchery. I think he's a great player and it would be awesome to keep him around for Goaline and 3rd down situations, cause he gets over the middle very well.

We'll see, but I won't be crushed if he leaves.

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Cotchery wouldn't be a 4th because hines is gone and he's better than Sanders right now.If i had my drothers i'd cut Sanders to keep Cotchery .We can draft wide outs all day longi mean Sanders isn't Jerry Rice

steelersbabex25
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh the joys of Steelers free agency.

tat2
03-23-2012, 12:31 PM
i was checking my crystal ball earlier, it said:
1. wallace leaves
2. cotchery leaves
3. sanders gets hurt in preseason
4. welcome back #86

LatrobePA
03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
No worries we have Lyons on the PS!

MDSteel15
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM
1. wallace leaves
2. cotchery leaves
4. welcome back #86

Your crystal has a crack in it!

SnakeEyes43
03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
1. wallace leaves
2. cotchery leaves
4. welcome back #86

Where's Sweed when you need him?!?

Real Deal Steel
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Sorry but I have to agree with the majority.Why is it taking so long to sign a fringe mid level player? We need Cotchery as the 3rd WR so stop being so cheap and sign him. Are they saying that they thing Saunders is going to be the 3rd wr? Because if that's the case then they have to sign another WR to handled PR duties.

Number99
03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Sign Roscoe Parrish as the PR/KR. He would come relatively cheap and would fit right in for the need of a bottom depth wr. Just MHO, but I think he would be a great fit for the need and the cash available to what they have to work with.

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
They are not saying saunders is a WR THEY ARE BEING CHEAP ! and they want to see who doesn't get signed so they can offer them the barebones amount like they did with starks last year .I think they wanted to sign Starks all along but they didn't want to pay a fortune so they scraped by until they couldn't wait any longer then got him for 900,000. they will do the same this year wait and see who gets signed then offer amodest contract remember if no one offers afree agent acontract they are out of ajob so of course they will take the money at least most players will

strummerfan
03-23-2012, 04:56 PM
They are not saying saunders is a WR THEY ARE BEING CHEAP ! and they want to see who doesn't get signed so they can offer them the barebones amount like they did with starks last year .I think they wanted to sign Starks all along but they didn't want to pay a fortune so they scraped by until they couldn't wait any longer then got him for 900,000. they will do the same this year wait and see who gets signed then offer amodest contract remember if no one offers afree agent acontract they are out of ajob so of course they will take the money at least most players will

Starks showed up to camp 65 pounds overweight so they cut him, nothing more than that. He lost the weight and we were in a pickle so they brought him back.

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
yea ok trai essex's jersey didn't cover his belly button and they are worried about overweight players

strummerfan
03-23-2012, 06:43 PM
yea ok trai essex's jersey didn't cover his belly button and they are worried about overweight players

There are a dozen reports of how Essex showed up to Ben's wedding way out of shape and busted his *** to be ready for training camp.

Apparently the sky is falling in southern Connecticut

Cricker24
03-23-2012, 06:48 PM
it's not as easy as just saying, "go sign him!" the Steelers are barely under the cap for 2012 and they're gonna have draft picks to sign. you really think Cotchery is going to just sign with the Steelers to be the 3rd receiver behind Brown and Wallace and not see if some other team might let him start? i trust the Steelers track record and i wish more people would realize that.

Number99
03-23-2012, 06:51 PM
CS relax man. Just explain what fortune the Steelers have to spend? Cotchery should command at least 2-4mil/yr. So with only about 6mil or so (I think) after Wallace, where is the money coming from? They still have to sign picks from the draft. Losing Cotchery if it happens isnt the end of world. But besides the Chiefs I don't think anyone here has heard any other rumors. So if he doesn't sign with them. The prospects look better for him re-signing here.

LatrobePA
03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Instead of bringing back an iffy Hampton they should of spent the $ on Cotchery!

Real Deal Steel
03-23-2012, 08:24 PM
it's not as easy as just saying, "go sign him!" the Steelers are barely under the cap for 2012 and they're gonna have draft picks to sign. you really think Cotchery is going to just sign with the Steelers to be the 3rd receiver behind Brown and Wallace and not see if some other team might let him start? i trust the Steelers track record and i wish more people would realize that.

Steelers track record is also not investing in corners as of late. How's that working out? Somethings have to updated as time goes by. The league is changing and unfortunately we have to tweek our methods with the changes.

With that said, Ben has no safty valve other then Miller. On three WR sets, they need Cotchery to be a safty valve along with Miller to give Ben a chance not to take the hits he's been taking. That's something that Haley had in Arizona.

Those guys are invaluable. Especially one with hands like glue like Cotchery's.

strummerfan
03-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Steelers track record is also not investing in corners as of late. How's that working out? Somethings have to updated as time goes by. The league is changing and unfortunately we have to tweek our methods with the changes.

With that said, Ben has no safty valve other then Miller. On three WR sets, they need Cotchery to be a safty valve along with Miller to give Ben a chance not to take the hits he's been taking. That's something that Haley had in Arizona.

Those guys are invaluable. Especially one with hands like glue like Cotchery's.

I seem to remember the FO resigning Ike and TP just a last year, not to mention investing 5-6 draft picks in the last 3 years. Sanders as a #3 and Mendy or Redman as a dump off are just fine. Call me crazy, but I seem to remember those "hands of glue" dropping a critical 3rd down pass or two in Mile High Stadium. At least 50% of the hits Ben takes are on Ben and no one else.

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Number 99 i agree .I guess i'm saying they could have played it better knowing that they had to sign Wallace and brown and Sanders next year.Cotchery has said he would rather have a super bowl ring than a starting job plus he can take Sanders job right now remember Tomlin likes Tough veterens not 3rd year china dolls.

the sky is fine in NEW England
Strummerfan What should they do let everyone go and just fill the holes with the draft?
Wallace dropped a crucial game turning bomb if he caught that pass there is no overtime plus Cotchery caught the only TD pass

Last year they should have kept Crezdon Butler but instead they wasted a bunch of money on MCfadden and now he's gone they could have locked him up for 3 yrs (Butler)

strummerfan
03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Number 99 i agree .I guess i'm saying they could have played it better knowing that they had to sign Wallace and brown and Sanders next year.Cotchery has said he would rather have a super bowl ring than a starting job plus he can take Sanders job right now remember Tomlin likes Tough veterens not 3rd year china dolls.

Strummerfan What should they do let everyone go and just fill the holes with the draft?
Wallace dropped a crucial game turning bomb if he caught that pass there is no overtime plus Cotchery caught the only TD pass

Last year they should have kept Crezdon Butler but instead they wasted a bunch of money on MCfadden and now he's gone they could have locked him up for 3 yrs (Butler)

Hello? They haven't even lost anyone other than Merideth and you act as if the season is in jeopardy. Cotchery may or may not leave, but it's not like he's some major piece of the offense. He's more insurance than anything else. You can go and look it up the last cut came down to Lewis or Butler and they went with Lewis. It didn't have squat to do with a 3 year old Mcfadden contract. Seriously step away from the edge, the Steelers know what they're doing.

elephantman
03-24-2012, 12:57 AM
we need cotchery, wallace is gone after this yr if not sooner ( i pray) and we have to keep Brown and sanders....may not look so good in 2013 if we lose Cotchery

connecticutsteel
03-24-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm not on the edge it's an opinion ever heard of one? I'M sorry you don't agree stop trying to make it personal

Stairwayto7
03-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I want Cotchery back, our only definite is Brown right now. Wallace may or may not be gone.....and Sanders has only shown that he isnt dependable yet....hopefully not an injury prone career

coldrolled
03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
wallace is staying. 89 needs to be signed.. it seems both team and them are waiting for April 20th to let the tables clear.

the steelers dont know who to pay right now. if 89 had an acl injury we would have signed him already.

JollyRob68
03-24-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm a Bmac fan but would of kept Butler.

JollyRob68
03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I want Cotchery back, our only definite is Brown right now. Wallace may or may not be gone.....and Sanders has only shown that he isnt dependable yet....hopefully not an injury prone career

People need to remember Sanders was the man until he got hurt in the Super Bowl. They should of signed Ted Ginn Jr and let him do the KR/PR and allow Sanders to heal.

JollyRob68
03-24-2012, 01:44 PM
wallace is staying. 89 needs to be signed.. it seems both team and them are waiting for April 20th to let the tables clear.

the steelers dont know who to pay right now. if 89 had an acl injury we would have signed him already.

Pay Cotchery and if someone snags Wallace then you get a first rounder. Based on ArtII statement"theres two parties to it" I think the agent isn't negotiating with anyone including the Steelers and Wallace is content to play out the RFA tender and then get tagged or become a UFA.
If he's content then trade him leading up to the draft or on draft day.I think Wallace wants to play closer to home. In the South.

Mike Tomlin
03-24-2012, 03:34 PM
i think there planning on Cotchery being the number 3 and Sanders being mostly a return guy.