PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward to announce retirement!...It's official the great Hines Ward calls it a career

Number99
03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
NFLN just reported that Hines Ward will be having a news conference at Noon today to announce his 14 yr career has ended.

Here's the press conference audio in full..

Click Here (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/tomlinpressconf/hineswardretires2012.mp3)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
It's not official that he will formally retire but that's what everyone assumes it will be about, myself included. At least we know he hasn't signed with the Ravens..LOL

He was recently on a vacation and perhaps did some soul searching and decided he's had enough.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

MDSteel15
03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
WR Coach???

Number99
03-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Lets hope it is about his retirement. He was a great Steeler for along time. Though he didn't leave the team on his terms, hopefully he bows out with a classy goodbye.

I could see Hines as a WR coach but not this year. I'd think he'll sit a year out, spend time with his family and enjoy life. I wouldn't put it past him and the Steelers to have him in camp next year as some kind of offensive asst not neccesarily the WR coach.

Danger DANJ
03-20-2012, 11:52 AM
It's got to be to announce his retirement otherwise he wouldn't be doing it at the Steelers headquarters. I'm so glad he wised up. It's sad that it took no teams being interested in him for him to realize it's time. I have no doubt that his heart is still in it, but his body is not. So happy to see that he will never be on another teams roster!

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Here's a link to the STEELERS site;
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-All-Time-Leading-Wide-Receiver-Hines-Ward-Retires/83dfeee4-a819-438e-a019-47b2ecf02fcf

Basically said it's because of the fans ,we are the best and he couldn't see him self in another uniform( especially when no offers came in)

WTG Hines you had a fine career here and now it will remain untarnished !!

steelersgal86
03-20-2012, 12:14 PM
he had me :crying: he is such a class act...I know this was hard for him but he did the right thing

Bucsfan4ever
03-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Watching his press conference...every time he sniffed his nose, I shed another tear He's such a classy guy and know you all are very proud of him.

Raleigh Steel
03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm not happy that he HAD to retire. I wish he still had some game left in him. I am glad he did realize that and did retire. Hines was a Steeler through and through. He will be missed as a player, but will NEVER be forgotten! Now go enjoy the next chapter in your life #86...you've earned it!

LatrobePA
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Nice move Hines, I love him for this!

Number99
03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm so glad I'll never have to see him in another uniform. And yes a classy guy. Now lets hope his words to Mike Wallace make him want to stay here in Pittsburgh.

steelersgal86
03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Watching his press conference...every time he sniffed his nose, I shed another tear He's such a classy guy and know you all are very proud of him.

me too ... he is a classy guy..and he did the right thing

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2012, 12:34 PM
We'll have the full audio posted up permanently here on the site later today. Very moving press conference, wouldn't have expected anything less.

steelersgal86
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
We'll have the full audio posted up permanently here on the site later today. Very moving press conference, wouldn't have expected anything less.

I was :crying: right along with him...very moving, he is what steeler nation is all about

coldrolled
03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I hope he takes a year off and starts coaching with us.

CowherPower
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I loved it when he said with a smile and a laugh, " I even read that I had signed a 3 yr. deal with the Baltimore Ravens, but we all know that would never happen" !!

DIESELMAN
03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Right decision Hines!! Steeler Nation loves you bro!!!

Diehardsteel
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm really grateful that Hines is going out this way. I won't have to feel weird wearing his jersey knowing he plays for another team. He's a Steeler for life. For that and all the good years, I thank you Hines!

LarryNJ
03-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Best of luck to you Hines~!

I'd rather see him on TV than as a coach. Very seldom do players make great coaches and I think he did a nice job this year.

Cricker24
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
As sad as it is to know we'll never get to see Hines play again, I feel this was the best thing he could have done. I'm so honored I got to watch Hines Ward play these last 14 seasons. I never have, nor will I ever be able to play the game of football, but if the good Lord ever granted me the wish of being able to play this game that I love so much, I would play it with the passion and joy of Hines Ward. I love every player that has ever donned the Black and Gold, but Hines will forever be the definition of Steeler Nation!! My only regret, and I apologize for sounding selfish, but I'm sorry I will never have the opportunity to tell Hines in person how much he has meant to me. God bless you, Hines Ward and good luck in the next chapter of your life!!

Chris :tt02:

Prosdo
03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Best decision he could have made. No need to pull a Franco.

gtadroptop
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
'Retire' his number. Can't see anybody else ever wearing #86.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
If there was a player in the modern era deserving of having his number retired, it's Ward.

I wouldn't be shocked though if they don't.

It's understood that the equipment guys won't issue numbers like 12, 75, etc. Perhaps 86 will be in that category for next season.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

steelersbabex25
03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Best decision he could have made. No need to pull a Franco.

Or a Favre.

I wish he would have gone out on his terms, but I'm glad he'll go into the HOF as a Steeler nonetheless. We'll miss you Hines.

LevonKirkland99
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Now the suits at the Steelers should retire his number. Great career Hines...You did the right thing

Number99
03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Ward was and always will be a Great Pittsburgh Steeler, but somehow I don't see his number being retired. He has meant as much to this franchise as any other wr in their history but so did Swann and Stallworth. Granted he blew past their numbers but those two played in a different era. Imagine the kinds of numbers they could have achieved in todays pass happy NFL?
I would say though that his 86 wont be seen on another wr for maybe a few years but we will see it again.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2012_Centerpiece_Misc/2012_WardRetirement_Group.jpg

SteelDad
03-21-2012, 07:43 AM
It is very seldom when a professional athlete can actually go out on his own terms and be clear folks, this isn't how he wanted to leave the game or the Steelers. With that said, it was still classy and regardless of if he had played for someone else or not, he'll always be a Steeler.

An absolute thrill to watch for 14 years. Thanks Hines.

Speeed
03-21-2012, 07:46 AM
It would be cool if they did not retire this year, did not issue it, and retired it next year. Kinda' like a missing man formation.

connecticutsteel
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM
thank you #86/15

connecticutsteel
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
they didn't retire joe greene's so i doubt they're gonna retire 86 #70 is the only number that is officially retired by the steelers
list of players that wore #86
98 to present Hines Ward
1996 John Farquhar
1995 Damon Mays
90-94 Eric Green
85-87 Preston Gothard
83-84 Greg Garrity
77-82 Jim Smith
74-75 Reggie Garrett
1973 Glenn Scolnick
66-70 J.R Wilburn
Hines briefly wore #15

Airbrush1
03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
I think a lot of fans are going to want to shed tears for this great player, a true gentleman and rep of good sportsmanship. It goes to show not all of these athletes are about the $.
Speaking of which I wonder what T.Tebow will be saying to the Preist in confessional this Sunday?
We as hard working blue collar Americans need to put a stop to things like with Manning getting 96million! The man cant even play due to injury. 96 million could provide free health care for low income families in an entire state. Fix miles of roadways, and bridges. Lower property taxes or at least provide more cash for local officials from my home town in luzerne county Pa to put into off shore accounts and or launder thru the Kids for cash scams.

Scorp
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Good decision Hines. It would have been very hard to see you play for another team. Beside, you said you want to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler. Now you can ride off into the sunset. And i suspect we'll be seeing him in the booth or on set somewhere?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One day after Hines Ward announced his retirement from the Steelers and the NFL, he received another job offer in football -- as a high school coach.

"I got an email from the athletic director, asking if I had any interest," Ward said with a laugh about his first post-retirement job offer. "I woke up this morning and it was the first thing I read."

The offer, Ward said, came from the prestigious private Westminster School in Atlanta. Ward lives in suburban Atlanta.
He is not ready, however, to jump at any offers now and coaching football is not on his radar.

He will take his mother on a vacation, probably Hawaii, to celebrate her 65th birthday, relax a little and then decide what to do next. He said he's had many opportunities that his lawyer and business manager, Andy Ree, will initially sift through.
He promised whatever he does, his presence will be felt in Pittsburgh, including those Sunday events in the fall at Heinz Field.

"I still want to have strong ties in Pittsburgh," Ward said in a telephone interview from Atlanta one day after his emotional press conference at the Steelers facilities to formally announce his retirement. "I have charitable things and I still want to be a big part of that. I may not be at every game but you'll definitely see my presence in Pittsburgh. That is home away from home. I can spend time in Atlanta during the week, and whatever opportunity there is for me I'll fly up there."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hines-ward-gets-a-football-job-offer-627335/

RIVERS OF STEEL
03-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Hines thanks for all the excitement you gave us. I am pleased to see you retire with class. You'll be remembered as a great Steelers player instead of something else. Good luck in your future endeavors.

RIVERS OF STEEL
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I think a lot of fans are going to want to shed tears for this great player, a true gentleman and rep of good sportsmanship. It goes to show not all of these athletes are about the $.
Speaking of which I wonder what T.Tebow will be saying to the Preist in confessional this Sunday?
We as hard working blue collar Americans need to put a stop to things like with Manning getting 96million! The man cant even play due to injury. 96 million could provide free health care for low income families in an entire state. Fix miles of roadways, and bridges. Lower property taxes or at least provide more cash for local officials from my home town in luzerne county Pa to put into off shore accounts and or launder thru the Kids for cash scams.

That, although outrageous, is nothing compared to round ballers, baseball players of questionable repute and ******* movie stars. It is entertainment, you and me like to see it, more than glad to pay for it and **** pot loads of money are generated for the stars. Those $$$$ ain't ever gettin to the folks. And why should they? If anyone wants that kind of green then learn to excel better than anyone else at the game. One of a kind is the only way to the big $$$$. IMO of course. Also learn to be the best at public speaking i.e. clinton, reagan, obama or used car salesman name here. Pitiful but true.

steelersflow
03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Sad to see him go. One of the greatest steelers ever IMO. Sad that Manning announcement overshadowed ward announcement.