PDA

View Full Version : No surprise, the Steelers don't expect Mendenhall to fully recover until 2013

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Ed Bouchette wrote earlier today the Steelers running back situation and the potential outlook without Rashard Mendenhall. Citing previous comments by Kevin Colbert and just basically using common sense as Bouchette always does.

They do not believe Rashard Mendenhall will be of much use to them in 2012, which is the final year of his contract.
Its possible Mendenhall may have had his last carry with the Steelers.

Sources told me that the Steelers will not count on Mendenhall returning to form until at least the 2013 season, and his contract with the Steelers will have expired by then. GM Kevin Colbert basically said hes not counting on him until 2013 when he said this on Feb. 13: I never feel good about an ACL until a year. Im not a doctor, but that's my mindset. If he gets back before that, to me it's a bonus.

Even if he does get back before that, however, hes not expected to be at the level he was as a running back before the injury in the playoff game at Denver and subsequent surgery. The Steelers not only have lost Mendenhall, they likely wont re-sign UFA Mewelde Moore.

I don't think anyone really expected him to be a big factor in 2012 anyway. Things could turn out differently though and perhaps he will be able to contribute but you certainly can't count on it.

How content are you with Redman, Clay, Dwyer, Batch, and possibly Moore as your backfield for 2012? Do you want to see them seriously consider a RB in the draft this April? Perhaps Isaiah Pead?

Personally I think this is his last year in Pittsburgh.

cmerrifield
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I am surprised. B. Batch only took 7 months before he was fully cleared, why does Mendy need 12?

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Goodfrom55
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Well, without Mendy, the Steelers have no realistic threat of a RB who can take it to the house. PLus, say what you want about Mendy's dancing, he averaged over 4 yards per carry and has a nose for the endzone and does a GREAT job picking up the blitz. I for one hope if he doesn't play in 2012 at all, the Steelers offer him a new contract for 2013 and beyond. At least it will come at a slight discount because of the questions surrounding his ACL.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Cut his *** now.....RB's are a dime dozen.....We don't need one coming off a major knee injury....

igor0190
03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
I'll be shocked, annoyed, angry if the Steelers don't draft a RB in rounds 2-4

coldrolled
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
I am surprised. B. Batch only took 7 months before he was fully cleared, why does Mendy need 12?

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Hampton will be gone too. Batch had almost a year by may-june.

LatrobePA
03-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Mendy fd his knee up much worse than this team let on! Why wouldn't they sign a FA RB knowing this? Bush maybe?

I got a news flash: Redman isn't a starting NFL RB!!

cmerrifield
03-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Hampton will be gone too. Batch had almost a year by may-june.

Not true, Hampton was guaranteed a roster spot when he took his paycut and Batch did it at the end of camp, we were still locked out in May-June. It was closer to August, maybe July.

LatrobePA
03-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Ced Benson?

K Train
03-20-2012, 12:04 AM
hampton doesnt need his knee nearly as much as mendenhall, not even a fair comparison

im all for pead, would have loved to see stewart though.

Real Deal Steel
03-20-2012, 12:46 AM
J. Dwyer is your new starting RB.

Nolrog
03-20-2012, 07:27 AM
I'll be shocked, annoyed, angry if the Steelers don't draft a RB in rounds 2-4

Consideirng the gaping holes at nose, guard and ILB, that would be a foolish pick. If they waste one of those high picks on a RB, I'll be shocked, annoyed and angry.

coldrolled
03-20-2012, 08:01 AM
J. Dwyer is your new starting RB.

If he was smart he was speed training and working out double hard since the browns game.

You get a few shots in the NFL, this is one of them for him. he had ample warning to get in top shape.

hope he is ready for the job we need him now.

K Train
03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
dwyer is the fastest of the RBs on the roster (except probably batch) but definitely faster than redman, clay, or moore.

but dwyer is the most likely to get out of shape, hopefully he takes full advantage of this opportunity. I guess we will find out how much faith they have in him if they take a RB in the top 4 rounds (not opposed to btw, pead, miller, wilson, ect)

PITTxPRIDE
03-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Ced Benson?

even though Mendy is my man i secon cedric benson, he runs hard a hell

LatrobePA
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
even though Mendy is my man i secon cedric benson, he runs hard a hell

He runs pissed!

K Train
03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
hes also slow as ****. pass

theres probably a dozen better options we could find in rounds 4-undrafted

Black@Gold Forever32
03-20-2012, 07:49 PM
hes also slow as ****. pass

theres probably a dozen better options we could find in rounds 4-undrafted

This......I'm with Train on Benson......

Raleigh Steel
03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
i've never been a big mendy fan, but i don't think he was given a fair shake in that sh*t @$$ thing we called an offense.

that being said, i agree with most that RB's are pretty easy to come by and i've got no problem if mendy was no longer on this team. i think we have more than adequate replacements and wouldn't miss mendy all that much.

steelersbabex25
03-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Do people here really expect the Steelers to draft a running back early with Mendenhall still on the roster? Sorry folks, whether you like it or not Redman is your new starting running back for the 2012 season.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Do people here really expect the Steelers to draft a running back early with Mendenhall still on the roster? Sorry folks, whether you like it or not Redman is your new starting running back for the 2012 season.

I still scratch my head wondering what all the fuss is against Redman, people say he can't do this and can't do that. It's not like he was going to unseat Mendenhall no matter how good he was. The Steelers don't give starting jobs away mid season very often, even in the offseason when it comes to an established veteran.

Redman will get his chance, his season will determine if Mendenhall is on the roster next year at all.

I will speculate that if they draft a RB in the 4th round or higher, that will spell the end of Mendenhall before the season ever starts.

LatrobePA
03-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Redman needs to get in better shape if he plans on toting the rock full-time!

coldrolled
03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Dwyers has the golden opportunity.. Just be ready to play.. He was a running machine in Georgia. He can do it.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Looks like they are expecting to stay in house for the replacement of Mendenhall, however long he is out. I wouldn't completely rule out a RB taken in the draft but certainly not early...

Rashard Mendenhall (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11257/rashard-mendenhall) might not have taken his final carry with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) after all.

In clarifying his previous remarks (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42347/steelers-not-counting-on-mendenhall-in-12) about the Pittsburgh running back, general manager Kevin Colbert said he does expect Mendenhall to play this season. Mendenhall, the team's leading rusher for the past three seasons, tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the Jan. 1 regular-season finale at Cleveland.

"What I said was I never think players coming off an ACL are 100 percent for a full year. It doesn't mean they can't play," Colbert told Pittsburgh reporters (via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788343.html#ixzz1qEIdeU83)) before the start of the NFL owners meetings. "At some point, we'll have Rashard back. I'm confident of that."

Colbert, though, doesn't provide the most important detail: when he expects Mendenhall to come back. To be honest, he might not even know the exact timetable.

Given the timing of his mid-January surgery, Mendenhall is a near certainty to begin the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP), which means missing the first six games of the season. The best bet is an early November return, but you can't expect him to be the primary runner at that point. Like Colbert pointed out, it'll probably take Mendenhall a full season before he is fully recovered.

While Colbert couldn't say when Mendenhall will suit up again, he did give insight on who will replace him.

“With the young guys we have, we feel confident someone will emerge who can fill that role," Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115514-ed-those-terminated-will-remain-terminated). "Somebody in the group of those guys will fill it out.”

This means the Steelers are prepared to go with someone in-house to take over for Mendenhall and rules out finding a primary back in free agency (which has thinned out at running back) or the draft. The leading candidate remains backup Isaac Redman (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12898/isaac-redman).

Via ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44690/steelers-expect-mendenhall-to-play-in-12)

LatrobePA
03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see someone step up and take it..

strummerfan
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Redman needs to get in better shape if he plans on toting the rock full-time!

Where do you come up with this stuff?

steelersbabex25
03-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Looks like they are expecting to stay in house for the replacement of Mendenhall, however long he is out. I wouldn't completely rule out a RB taken in the draft but certainly not early...

Jesus, do I literally have to be right all the time? It gets old after a while.

LatrobePA
03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Am I the only F'N one that watched this guy run? He had to be pulled up off the turf by his teamates late in the game, the dude was f'n winded and could barely make it off the field...

Go back and actually watch the games he played in you'll see..

I don't hate Redman but I do think he was in ok shape not great like he'll need to be to be a starter...

strummerfan
03-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Am I the only F'N one that watched this guy run? He had to be pulled up off the turf by his teamates late in the game, the dude was f'n winded and could barely make it off the field...

Go back and actually watch the games he played in you'll see..

I don't hate Redman but I do think he was in ok shape not great like he'll need to be to be a starter...

ROFLMAO

You do realize that teammates and sometimes even members of the opposing team help one another up off the field right?
Since we only saw Redman for one full game and that was in Denver you might want to fly out there and try going for a quick jog (even a couple of blocks)before you accuse anyone of being out of shape. It takes a few days to acclimate to high altitude and even then it's a struggle for a bit.

LatrobePA
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
ROFLMAO

You do realize that teammates and sometimes even members of the opposing team help one another up off the field right?
Since we only saw Redman for one full game and that was in Denver you might want to fly out there and try going for a quick jog (even a couple of blocks)before you accuse anyone of being out of shape. It takes a few days to acclimate to high altitude and even then it's a struggle for a bit.

It was beyond being a good sportsman... Take his stove pipe out of your mouth for a second and realize the truth! He wasn't in the shape to start last season, let's hope he's ready this year!

Denver was the same for ALL the players on the field, he was just so out of shape it effected him worse!

strummerfan
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
It was beyond being a good sportsman... Take his stove pipe out of your mouth for a second and realize the truth! He wasn't in the shape to start last season, let's hope he's ready this year!

Denver was the same for ALL the players on the field, he was just so out of shape it effected him worse!

yeah sure whatever you say pal

LatrobePA
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm not trying to be an ******* but I didn't like how winded he seemed. I was one of those screaming at the TV to put him in when Mendy was spinning all around losing yards so I like Red he just needs to train like a MF'r and take this starting spot...

CowherPower
03-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Dwyer better show up in shape this year, hopefully that disaster in training camp was a tough lesson learned. If he pulls that again he'll be missing out on a prime opportunity to be the primary backup to Redman.

Like K train said in another thread though, we have the slowest group of running backs every right now so an infusion of speed from somewhere would be ideal.

As far as Mendenhall goes, I swear if Tomlin yanks Redman in favor of Mendenhall I'll probably blow a gasket. There should be no reason to put him in the game when he's playable again, if Redman is doing well, other than for spot duty.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
When you aren't used to starting and then suddenly you're in the starting role, taking all the pounding, it'll take it out of you. He'll be working his tale off his offseason and he'll be the man going into 2012. I fully expect him to be ready to go and take the lions share of the carriers without a problem.

Mean Linebacker
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
A first round pick spent on Mendenhall and then after a blown out knee he might not even see his 2nd contract. Knowing the Steelers though they'll still keep him around; it's their MO with veterans.

Even though Tomlin says he expects Mendenhall to play next season, I just hope they don't stick him in just for the sake of doing it. Taking a good performer off the field for a veteran coming off an injury is something I just never agreed with.

coldrolled
03-31-2012, 02:27 PM
If this new IR rule gets approved this year, that should keep mendy alive for the year. A few games would be good for him to play, then trade him to a team who loses a good RB thats in playoff contention and get a good pick for him

LevonKirkland99
03-31-2012, 11:36 PM
All this talk about Redman vs Mendy is great ....but we don't run the ball like we used to. Lets see what those star receivers can do ..
I haven't seen much of Redman...he needs to play more if we run the ball?

Real Deal Steel
04-01-2012, 12:55 AM
The mandate came down from Rooney to run the ball the way we used to. Haley will do just that because Haley knows that we this isn't an indecisive front office like he's been dealing with. Running the ball more is what we are going to do and Dwyer has been here long enough to know what is expected of him and what his role will be this year. He's the lead running back.

SuperSteelers
04-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Losing Mendenhall is not really a huge loss to this team. From what I could see he was more of a hindrance. He never really played up to his potential and I fully believe Ray Lewis hit during his rookie season changed him for the worse.