PDA

View Full Version : Any offers for Wallace yet?

Goodfrom55
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
What is everyones take on the whole lack of attention regarding Wallace in "free agency"? As far as I know (which isn't much), there hasn't even been a sniff his way - or has there? As Steelers fans, do we get a false sense of security that no team wants to give up a 1st rounder or is some team lying in the weeds waiting for the right time to make the kill? With the WR bar set pretty high contract wise, does it benefit the Steelers that no one has made a move yet or does it not matter? Does it bring down his value? Or does he go unsolicited and sign the tender only to become a UFA next year?

My take, try to sign him to a long term deal, say 5/40 with 23 guaranteed, and then in 2013, Franchise Brown and tender Sanders.

LatrobePA
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
He's yet to even get a vist request I'd say he's a Steeler.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
No offers to date. All the suitors that everyone thought would be banging down his door have already addressed their need or said they aren't interested. There's just not much sense in giving a guy a $30 million contract and giving up a first rounder for him too.

Some say Denver is in the running now that they got Tebow, but I still don't see it. They are going to try and get guys like Dallas Clark and other former Colts castoffs. Plus they have some young talent there that they might content enough with.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
No offers to date. All the suitors that everyone thought would be banging down his door have already addressed their need or said they aren't interested. There's just not much sense in giving a guy a $30 million contract and giving up a first rounder for him too.

Some say Denver is in the running now that they got Tebow, but I still don't see it. They are going to try and get guys like Dallas Clark and other former Colts castoffs. Plus they have some young talent there that they might content enough with.

now that they got manning, not tebow

Goodfrom55
03-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I heard possibly SF would throw their hat into the ring now they lost out on Manning. It's just strangely quiet.

coldrolled
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
their waiting for colts players to make some moves to find peyton? but whos left?

Real Deal Steel
03-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Well, the Patriots are off the radar now. That's good. Now we need to keep our eyes on the Bengals and maybe Rams.

Nolrog
03-20-2012, 07:23 AM
What is everyones take on the whole lack of attention regarding Wallace

Big money and a first round pick is way too much for anyone's liking. Especially with all the other very good WRs on free agency that cost just money. This is not a surprise at all.

coach
03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Less interest elsewhere means more affordable here.

Number99
03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Well, the Patriots are off the radar now. That's good. Now we need to keep our eyes on the Bengals and maybe Rams.

The Bungals maybe but not the Rams. The Rams are close to the cap also and I can not see them giving up the 8th pick to get Wallace. That would be a nice thought but most impractical.

Real Deal Steel
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Not at all. I'd take Wallace over Blackmon any day of the week.

JollyRob68
03-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Not at all. I'd take Wallace over Blackmon any day of the week.

I wouldn't. Blackman fights for the ball,Wallace doesn't.

coldrolled
03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
If the Broncos are still looking to get the WR in the draft 25... Rueben Randle or Kendall Wright ... SF also 30... The Bengals at 21 possibly. The Browns on draft day before they pick at 22? Any of them could make a play.

Real Deal Steel
03-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't. Blackman fights for the ball,Wallace doesn't.
Wallace isn't in a position really to have to fight for the ball. Plus Wallace has home run speed.

But Blackmon wouldn't command the super big money right now. That's probably an overriding factor.

But I know Wallace can play in this league. You don't know if Blackmon can. That's the biggest factor to me.

LatrobePA
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Homerun speed doesn't make him great! I'd say he's an ok WR much better when our QB isn't banged up an unable to throw the deep ball which is really the only thing mike can offer at this point.

coldrolled
03-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Denver Broncos trade quarterback Tim Tebow to the New York Jets for a fourth-round draft pick.....

LatrobePA
03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Jets gave up too much for a locker room healer!

DIESELMAN
03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Denver Broncos trade quarterback Tim Tebow to the New York Jets for a fourth-round draft pick.....

Jets traded a 4th and a 6th for Tebow and Denver's 7th rd pick.

DIESELMAN
03-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Jets gave up too much for a locker room healer!

No doubt, Sanchez was already suffering from self esteem issues. He's really going to be a train wreck now lol

LatrobePA
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Tebow will help Mark find his way!

SnakeEyes43
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Tebow will help Mark find his way!

To the bench.

LatrobePA
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Maybe they now have two of the leagues top 5 worse QBs from last season!

CoachC
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think he'll get an offer as of now, but RFA markets usually don't open up until early/mid April because of the draft pick involved. The markets usually wait until all of the UFA sign somewhere before going after RFA. They have until April 20th

SuperSteelers
03-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Now we know why this clown hasn't gotten a sniff yet with him asking for Fitz. type money. Release this fat head.

Nolrog
03-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Release this fat head.

Release him? Exactly what does that solve? He'll play for us next year for 2.7 million dollars, and you want to release him?

/boggle

coldrolled
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Release him? Exactly what does that solve? He'll play for us next year for 2.7 million dollars, and you want to release him?

/boggle

your right he will play for cheap... but a new rookie wont play and we will be behind a year again next year when he is gone.

Nolrog
03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
your right he will play for cheap... but a new rookie wont play and we will be behind a year again next year when he is gone.

OK, so then we should cut him and instead of having Wallace another year we should just get a rookie and start him now?

coldrolled
03-23-2012, 01:13 PM
OK, so then we should cut him and instead of having Wallace another year we should just get a rookie and start him now?

no, we should cut hampton, sign wallace to four years and have the option to trade his *** for alot week 6 when a team is dying for him because of their ace wr with an acl.. or we will end up with what we usually get for players chump change.

Nolrog
03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
no, we should cut hampton, sign wallace to four years and have the option to trade his *** for alot week 6 when a team is dying for him because of their ace wr with an acl.. or we will end up with what we usually get for players chump change.

Why would they sign him for 4 years only to trade him away? That makes no sense.

coldrolled
03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Why would they sign him for 4 years only to trade him away? That makes no sense.

Shows we want him and he has value?

TribLive
The Steelers want to sign wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term contract, though team president Art Rooney II said today that he doesn't know when a deal might get done.

"The sooner the better as far as we're concerned but there's two parties to it," Rooney told the Tribune-Review. "We'll have to see what we agree on so I don't want to put any particular time frame on it or restrictions on it because these things take time and I wouldn't want to box myself in on it."

Read more: Rooney: Steelers still eyeing long-term deal with Wallace - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787984.html#ixzz1pxoalE96

LatrobePA
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Wallace has hold out written all over him!

Real Deal Steel
03-23-2012, 03:03 PM
We just take another late round WR and move on. We prep for next year when Wallace walks. No concerns.

Holmes thought free agency would be nice. I know he doesn't think it now that he's part of that three ring circus known as the New York Jets. hahaha.

How's it looking to you now Santonio? hahahahaa. He'll be lucky to catch 35 balls this season with Sanchez and Tebum.

connecticutsteel
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I hope he tries to pull that huge money **** with the steelers he will be on his couch in nola all year

Speeed
03-23-2012, 03:39 PM
He is the ring leader of that three ring circus. He looks at the Steelers and has got to be pissed - despite the injuries, controversy, etc. they are far more successful than the Jets. The Jets suck.

We just take another late round WR and move on. We prep for next year when Wallace walks. No concerns.

Holmes thought free agency would be nice. I know he doesn't think it now that he's part of that three ring circus known as the New York Jets. hahaha.

How's it looking to you now Santonio? hahahahaa. He'll be lucky to catch 35 balls this season with Sanchez and Tebum.

coldrolled
03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
i would love for denver to take wallace. we get #25 Manning cant start 3 games and wallace ends up with 400 yards for the year. we get cordy glenn and danta hightower.

Nolrog
03-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Wallace has hold out written all over him!

I doubt that would happen. He's looking for that big contract, and if he holds out, it could hurt his value for next year (hold outs tend to get injured or perform not up to par, so that could very well reduce his value for his UFA contract.)

steelersflow
03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
No offers, and I don't think they will come after his fitz comment. He wants to be a steeler and that was a way to scare everyone else off.

RIVERS OF STEEL
03-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Another bum looking for a free meal with no effort for it on his part. Good luck *******.

coldrolled
03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Interesting??

Chicago Bears wideout Johnny Knox likely will start the 2012 season on the physically-unable-to-perform list, as he recovers slowly from spinal fusion surgery last year.

The Chicago Tribune, citing multiple sources familiar with Knox's progress, reported Sunday that Knox suffered more structural damage than initially anticipated. The newspaper said there is a strong chance that he won't play at all this season.

The veteran suffered a frightening injury against the Seattle Seahawks in December. He still wears a back brace and walks with a limp.

If Knox goes on the PUP list, he would have to sit out at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

Knox could not be reached by the newspaper for comment.

The Bears

LatrobePA
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
I think the Bears would be a perfect fit for wallace, what's to come of Marshalls slapping a hoe? Suspension??

Goodfrom55
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
My question is who leaked out that Fitzgerald contract comparison by Wallace to the media? IS it possible it was someone with the best interest of the Steelers in mind or within the Steelers organization to "scare off" any possible suitors? Some simple propaganda?

Conspiracy Monday I guess.

LatrobePA
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Friday, March 23, 2012
Thoughts on Wallace

Reports out of San Francisco have Mike Wallace requesting a deal worth more than Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald $120 million contract if he were going to consider joining the 49ers.

This, of course, caused a great deal of public outcry from Steelers fans, who A. Don't think Wallace is worth that kind of money, and B. think he's as good as gone.

Both statements are ridiculous.

Agents always aim high when negotiating. That's their job. If, and that's a big if, Wallace's agent told the 49ers he wanted more than Fitzgerald, so what?

That doesn't mean that's where any final contract would end up at.

Agents ask for the moon all the time. That's what they do. The team then offers a counter - if they're truly interested. And so it goes from there.

As for Wallace not being in Fitzgerald's class as a receiver, realize that in their first three NFL seasons, they both caught 24 touchdown passes, while Wallace had more yards. Fitzgerald had more receptions.

That's not a true barometer and the eye test tells me Fitzgerald is a better receiver, but agents being agents, they're going to look at the numbers.

Does this mean Wallace won't be a Steeler in 2012? Nope. In fact, if the report is true - and I do have my doubts about the veracity - Wallace will definitely be back with the Steelers this season.

And if they can't work out a deal with Wallace, there's always the possibility of using the franchise tag on him in 2013.

Goodfrom55
03-26-2012, 05:18 PM
If no other choice, depending on his performance this season, if they can't get a deal done this season, franchise him, tender Brown and Sanders. Reality is we are going to lose 1 of the 3. Question is which one?

coldrolled
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
OK, why would the rams trade picks and more with cleveland for a WR. Just give up the pick for Wallace. Instead of trading up and losing multiple picks... Or maybe Wallace isnt a Round 1 pick in anyones eyes.

read:

The tables have turned. Jeff Fisher and the Rams now sit at No. 6, staring up at Cleveland's No. 4 pick in next month's draft. St. Louis is in desperate need of a receiver to pair with young quarterback Sam Bradford, and hanging around at the sixth spot could cost them a chance at Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon. Fisher acknowledged to The Plain Dealer that Cleveland looms as a realistic trade partner.

coldrolled
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Also from Thomas, regarding Mike Wallace: "He has a first-round tender. And you can only use your original first-round pick as compensation. The Rams no longer have their original first-round pick after trading down with Washington. So they can't acquire Wallace through the regular process of restricted free agency. Now, the Rams could always offer less in a sign-and-trade situation. But why would the Steelers want less than a first-rounder? They put the tender on him in an attempt to keep him." Noted: The Rams could, in theory, offer the sixth overall pick, but that would be a steep price to pay.

coldrolled
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Rumblings are out there now.

Now, my friend Josh Sanchez of NFL Spin Zone has been covering free agency, and he says that the Broncos would be willing to part ways with their first round pick for Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers to complement Manning. Wallace is currently a restricted free agent with a first round tender, and it would certainly be interesting for the Broncos to make such a move.

Denver's first round pick is obviously very valuable, but if they offer Mike Wallace a similar deal to the one that Vincent Jackson just got from Tampa Bay, it would be hard for the Steelers to match since they've already had to cut bait this offseason to make players fit on their roster.

The Broncos do have needs on the defensive side of the ball, but if they sign Peyton Manning and supplement him with Mike Wallace, the Broncos' offense automatically goes from a run first, quick striking pass offense to a full out aerial attack supplemented by a strong running game.

LatrobePA
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Hmmmm, thanks for the read

coldrolled
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
New Article 3/28

Why does nobody want to sign Mike Wallace?

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

The NFL Annual Meeting wrapped up Wednesday and there wasn't a hint of a rumor regarding Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace. That surely pleases Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who isn't thinking about what would happen if another team signed Wallace.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it -- IF we come to it," Tomlin said.

At this stage there is no indication that any team will sign Wallace to an offer sheet. Here are the best reasons we can come up with:

It's too early

Teams have until April 20 to sign restricted free agents to an offer sheet. Unrestricted free agents get the most attention early in the process, and teams then start looking closer at restricted players. Perhaps a team is out there biding their time.

He's too expensive

There have been reports Wallace wants more than $100 million in a contract. He wants Larry Fitzgerald money. If that's true, the cost of the contract plus a first-round pick could make him too expensive to go after.

The logical teams don't need him

The San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots were rumored to be two possible fits for Wallace. Both teams have signed multiple free-agent wide receivers and no longer appear to have a need. The Chicago Bears traded for Brandon Marshall. Jacksonville picks too high. The Bengals have two first-round picks, but perhaps they don't see A.J. Green and Wallace fitting together on the field. Or under the salary cap.

Where there's no smoke, there is probably a lack of fire. We think Wallace would be well worth a mid-to-late first-round pick and a handsome contract, but it looks unlikely to happen. That's exactly what Tomlin expects.

"Business will take care of itself, but Mike will report and be the guy that he's always been in my mind, and that's a guy that has a desire to be the best and a guy that's willing to work daily to be the best," Tomlin said Tuesday.

For at least one more year, it appears that Wallace will be working in Pittsburgh.

CowherPower
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Where there's no smoke, there is probably a lack of fire. We think Wallace would be well worth a mid-to-late first-round pick and a handsome contract, but it looks unlikely to happen. That's exactly what Tomlin expects.

Worth a first round pick, possibly, but not the pick and the big contract. If teams think they can get him at just the contract next year then they'll stay away. I'm going out on a limb and saying there's no way anybody else even sniffs Wallace this offseason.