PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap issues every year must be frustrating for everyone

connecticutsteel
03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
It seems like every year the Steelers sign players and then either ask them to restructure or cut players . I understand that they usually end up with everything they need however at some point one would think that the players would be tired of changing the deals they made for what ever reason. They have changed Ben's contract a least 3 times that i'm aware of.I'm not saying all of this cause i think we should go get all the big players and spend money all the time. It just appears like they are desperate and next year will be even more crazy than this year pushing money around delaying the inevitable.I am by no means a salary cap guy. So i don't know what other teams do but i don't think many teams do 4 or 5 or more restructures a year i don't really know but most teams have enough room to sign a fringe reciever like Jerricho Cotchery and for the steelers that is a struggle?

Nolrog
03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
The players, with the exception of Hampton, haven't lost any money. What happens is this. If K-Train is scheduled to earn a base salary of 5 million dollars this year; instead of getting 17 checks of some 294K each, the Steelers come to him and say, we're going to give you a base of 1 million and that 4 million becomes a signing bonus. Here's a 4 million dollar check now, and then your 17 game checks are only 58K. That's a pretty good deal for the player. They get most of their money now with a big fat check.

As for cap issues, we have cap issues because we keep our team together.

Next year, they seem to be some 10 million over. So there will be more of the same kind or crazyness.

Would you rather a situation like the Jets, who let several key players walk and then found themselves 9.5 million under the cap and a non-playoff year?

The Steelers results speak for themselves. Contend for the division every year, make the playoffs and get to the SB. Whatever they are doing, they should keep right on doing it and keep rolling in the rings.

connecticutsteel
03-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I understand how it works and that they are not losing money but when you restructure it takes longer to get it. I get that part but why not structure it right off the bat. Iagree the results speak for themselves but the trick will be finding great players who buy into that philosopy most players today talk about wanting to win but will take the highest offer they can't have it both ways.THEY ARE WAITING FOR Wallace to sign the tender or an extention. if it's about winning this would be done by now but it's about the highest bidder i'm not complaining i'm trying to understand certain parts of free agency

cmerrifield
03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
With Timmons and Woodley for example, they guaranteed their roster bonus and their base this year. That spread it out over the remaining years, if they did that originally, last years cap hit would have been higher. Also, what if, God forbid, Timmons had a career ending injury, all the guaranteed money is accelerated to the year he is cut as dead money.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

JollyRob68
03-18-2012, 06:48 PM
It seems like every year the Steelers sign players and then either ask them to restructure or cut players . I understand that they usually end up with everything they need however at some point one would think that the players would be tired of changing the deals they made for what ever reason. They have changed Ben's contract a least 3 times that i'm aware of.I'm not saying all of this cause i think we should go get all the big players and spend money all the time. It just appears like they are desperate and next year will be even more crazy than this year pushing money around delaying the inevitable.I am by no means a salary cap guy. So i don't know what other teams do but i don't think many teams do 4 or 5 or more restructures a year i don't really know but most teams have enough room to sign a fringe reciever like Jerricho Cotchery and for the steelers that is a struggle?

You realize when they reconstruct Ben's Contract they're just paying him up front. Players get cash in off season so they're not complaining.

connecticutsteel
03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Well i know that was part of it but they also spred money out and do all kinds of stuff .I guess i'm wondering why they would structure a contract a certain way and then have to revise it several times that's all why not do it right the first time maybe they have to do it like that cause each year is a little different

Nolrog
03-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I understand how it works and that they are not losing money but when you restructure it takes longer to get it.

No that's not correct. They walk out of the restructure meeting with a big fat old check for the amount that was restructured. The team has to account for that money over time but the players get the money now.

connecticutsteel
03-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Nolrog i meant to say it hits the team and the cap over alonger period of time cause it is moved up then moved up again

Katmandu
03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
You realize when they reconstruct Ben's Contract they're just paying him up front.

Players get cash in off season so they're not complaining.Poor guys need to eat and take care of their families in the off season too!