PDA

View Full Version : Steelers restructure Casey Hampton's contract

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
According to a league source, the Steelers got a little further under the salary cap by restructuring the final year of nose tackle Casey Hampton's three-year, $21 million contract. Hampton, who will turn 35 by the start of the regular season, was scheduled to earn $4.89 million in base salary with a $1 million workout bonus in 2012 and his cap number was $8.057 million. Under the restructure, Hampton reduced his base salary to $2.8 million and his workout bonus is gone, reducing his cap number by $3.09 million.

The 19th overall pick of the 2001 NFL Draft, Hampton has started 148 of 157 games, totaling 347 tackles and nine sacks, but anchoring a run defense that annually ranks among the best in the NFL. Opposing teams have averaged over 100 yards per game on the ground in just one season (2003) since Hampton arrived in 2001.

Source (http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/184626-steelers-nt-casey-hampton-restructures-contract.html)

See Nolrog, I told ya :lol:

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Should of saved more by cutting him!

ldvious15
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Should of saved more by cutting him!HOORAY.................... We agree on something......lol Should of just cut him!!

Nolrog
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
See Nolrog, I told ya :lol:

Yup, you were right. Still makes no sense, but at least they got some cap savings. Hopefully they will use some of that 3 million dollars on a guard. Can get a pretty good one for 3 mil.

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
HOORAY.................... We agree on something......lol Should of just cut him!!

He's 1 twisting pop away from IR and a wasted roster spot!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Yup, you were right. Still makes no sense, but at least they got some cap savings. Hopefully they will use some of that 3 million dollars on a guard. Can get a pretty good one for 3 mil.

Sorry man I just had to bust your chops a little bit since you and I have been on opposite sides of the fence on this... it's all good :yellowthumb:

I agree though it's all about the savings for now and then see what happens in 2013. An extra $3 million gives them some breathing room for the draft if nothing else at this point.

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry man I just had to bust your chops a little bit since you and I have been on opposite sides of the fence on this... it's all good :yellowthumb:

I agree though it's all about the savings for now and then see what happens in 2013. An extra $3 million gives them some breathing room for the draft if nothing else at this point.

They didnt say when he could possibly play again? We sign old rehab players and leave gaping holes in the OL and DL
Will he be placed on IR, does that remove his cap hit if hes on IR? Rooneys are just being nice.

K Train
03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
he took a legit pay cut, not just a restructure. he wants to stay that bad and if he can play, its a big enough hole on the team that it will be good to have him in the rotation

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
They didnt say when he could possibly play again? We sign old rehab players and leave gaping holes in the OL and DL
Will he be placed on IR, does that remove his cap hit if hes on IR? Rooneys are just being nice.

Too nice!!

K Train
03-15-2012, 11:37 AM
art II doesnt do nice!! thats what i like about him

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
he took a legit pay cut, not just a restructure. he wants to stay that bad and if he can play, its a big enough hole on the team that it will be good to have him in the rotation

If on IR does his salary count against the cap?

cmerrifield
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
If on IR does his salary count against the cap?

Yes

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Playing the cheap *** chop blocking Ravens twice will ensure his IR spot..

K Train
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
his hit counts against the cap, his replacement player would not unless they made more than him (which they wouldnt), so casey saving the steelers cap room wont hurt them if they have to bring in a guy like anthony gray again.

im pretty sure its written something like that

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Playing the cheap *** chop blocking Ravens twice will ensure his IR spot..

without grubbs now hahaha

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
without grubbs now hahaha

LOL, very true!

cmerrifield
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
his hit counts against the cap, his replacement player would not unless they made more than him (which they wouldnt), so casey saving the steelers cap room wont hurt them if they have to bring in a guy like anthony gray again.

im pretty sure its written something like that

Not true, new player counts too.

K Train
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
got a link? if a team has like 15 players on IR theres no way they can count all 15 players and the 53 man roster including 15 replacement players against the cap comfortably, especially if its close already. im pretty sure it would be the summed difference of the previous 15 players salary hit compared to the new 15 players salary hit, which is most likely lower so it would stay as the original.

maybe thats just how it used to be, but im pretyt sure that was what i heard

connecticutsteel
03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
THE ELDERLY PEEPS are dropping like flies so he was going to agree to anything.plus i think we needed to do this to keep Cotchery& wallace plus everyone else

they gotta be close to 17 mil under now

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
got a link? if a team has like 15 players on IR theres no way they can count all 15 players and the 53 man roster including 15 replacement players against the cap comfortably, especially if its close already. im pretty sure it would be the summed difference of the previous 15 players salary hit compared to the new 15 players salary hit, which is most likely lower so it would stay as the original.

Then there is some logic to the deal..

cmerrifield
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061107

paragraph 2, there is no financial advantage to placing a player on IR. I also just read all the salary cap part of the CBA and it does not excuse IR players, in fact there are a couple spots that say all money given to a player and it talks about including everyone, including practice squad players.

K Train
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
thats a good read, but im not saying its a financial advantage at all....they would still pay casey, but they would be able to pay another NT without it counting against the cap unless they brought in someone with a bigger contract than casey.

from my understanding if casey is making 3 million against the cap, that would still hold true on IR, but if we brought in another player that open slot that made 1 million im pretty sure (again not really 100%) that $1 million wouldnt count additionally. But if we brought in a player that made $4 million, then we would have an additional $1 million counted.

thats just a player for a player which doesnt make as much sense as 15 players on IR for 15 open roster spots an an whole total salary vs the entire new players salary since you dont neccesarily have to replace a player on IR with another player at that position

cmerrifield
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
thats a good read, but im not saying its a financial advantage at all....they would still pay casey, but they would be able to pay another NT without it counting against the cap unless they brought in someone with a bigger contract than casey.

from my understanding if casey is making 3 million against the cap, that would still hold true on IR, but if we brought in another player that open slot that made 1 million im pretty sure (again not really 100%) that $1 million wouldnt count additionally. But if we brought in a player that made $4 million, then we would have an additional $1 million counted.

thats just a player for a player which doesnt make as much sense as 15 players on IR for 15 open roster spots an an whole total salary vs the entire new players salary since you dont neccesarily have to replace a player on IR with another player at that position

I dont see that anywhere. I cant find that online and I know its not in the CBA. Some players have in their contracts that they get less money if they are injured and there are ways for a veteran player making the league minimum not to count fully against the cap, but what you are describing is not part of the NFL.

jpele
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM

If you read tha last paragraph about the Packers, it leads me to believe added players salaries do count against the cap.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18728864

cmerrifield
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
If you read tha last paragraph about the Packers, it leads me to believe added players salaries do count against the cap.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18728864

That was the uncapped year.

JollyRob68
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Should of saved more by cutting him!

Totally Agree. Once he mentioned he doesn't study film and relied on Chris Hoke . I knew it was time for him to go. I wish Hoke was healthy and didn't retire.

JollyRob68
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
THE ELDERLY PEEPS are dropping like flies so he was going to agree to anything.plus i think we needed to do this to keep Cotchery& wallace plus everyone else

they gotta be close to 17 mil under now

What???? They are were only 1.8 mil under and hampton just saved 3 mil = 4.8 mil. Remember they used the cap space to tender the RFA's.

Nolrog
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Not at all. Just some friendly banter. It's all good.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Hampton has said before he doesn't do much film study, he never has. He knows what he's supposed to do and what situations dictate his various responsibilities. Hamp has been around long enough to know Lebeau's defense inside and out, his main job is to stand up whoever is in front of him and hold his ground.

He'll be fine without Hoke, but I admit I wish Hoke was still here too because the two worked well together.

Nolrog
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
What???? They are were only 1.8 mil under and hampton just saved 3 mil = 4.8 mil. Remember they used the cap space to tender the RFA's.

That's not entirely correct. They are approximately 17 million or so under the cap.

However:

9 million of that is allocated to Steeler free agents based on the tenders (acutal amount could be higher based on actual contracts or lower if Wallace leves.)
5 million of that is allocated to draft picks.

So that leaves about 3-4 million truely free.

All round/approximate numbers.

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
So that leaves about 3-4 million truely free.

Hell that's what Casey will spend in a year on mickey D's!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2012, 04:03 PM
A bit more info from the Trib...

Casey Hampton has agreed to a $3 million pay cut, creating more salary cap room for the Steelers and further solidifying the veteran nose tackle's immediate future with the team.

Hampton, who is going into the final year of a three-year, $21.2 million deal, has agreed to a $2 million reduction in his base salary and to forgo a $1 million workout bonus that he would have been due this year, according to a source.

Hampton's new deal is believed to put the Steelers at least $6 million under the salary cap.

Hampton, 34, is recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in the Steelers' Jan. 8 playoff loss in Denver. Despite the injury and the wear and tear that comes with playing his position, the Steelers haven't wavered on bringing back Hampton for a 12th season.

Hampton's departure would leave a significant void at nose tackle and general manager Kevin Colbert said last month that it wasn't a question whether the five-time Pro Bowler would return in 2012.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_786692.html#ixzz1pDJYfRut

SteelDad
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Agree 100%. This was a cut which shows he wants to keep playing. He isnt going to be a three down guy anyway so a fresher Big Snack is hopefully a better one. He took one for the team plain and simple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
So Casey will get a year off and sit on IR.

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 04:46 PM
So Casey will get a year off and sit on IR.

And get paid for it..

Real Deal Steel
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
If they get the right nose tackle in the draft,.........

Zachintosh66
03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
in this case a "restructure" means ultimatum.

OldSchool58
03-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Hamptons situation is kina like being married. As long as she's cleaning the house and puttin' out once in a while I'm fine, but when she's flopped on the couch watchin' life go by 7 days a week I gotta problem. Either he can contribute, or he can't. If he can't he needs to just go.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Some thoughts from Gerry Dulac on how Hampton's restructure might affect the draft strategy.

It's part of their paid subscription blog site so I won't post up the whole thing but here's an excerpt:
Does Hampton’s return mean the Steelers aren’t in interested in drafting a nose tackle on the first round, specifically Dontari Poe of Memphis?

Does this mean they are more inclined to draft an inside linebacker to replace James Farrior, possibly Alabama’s Don’t’a Hightower? Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin attended Alabama’s pro day this week to see Hightower and the other studs on the Tide’s defense.

Let me say this:

By most accounts, Poe is not ready to play immediately in the NFL, even though his draft stock has risen mercurially since the combine. He is raw and unfinished and probably needs a good year of tutoring before he is ready to be a starter.

That, though, is the norm with the Steelers, anyway, no matter which rookie they have ever drafted – Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward. They all wait at least a year before becoming a starter.

So, even with Hampton back, that wouldn’t change their plans at all, if they were so inclined to draft Poe. Probably the fact that Poe is expected to be gone before the Steelers draft at No. 24 is more a deterrent to them drafting a nose tackle.

With Farrior gone, there is a greater urgency to find an inside linebacker, and not any later than the second round. That, though, should be feasible because Hightower is expected to be available late in the first round.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115385

SuperSteelers
03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
They should have dumped the guy.

1. Overweight
2. Out of shape
3. Over paid
4. Waste of a roster spot
5. Time to retire

Nolrog
03-17-2012, 06:55 AM
So, even with Hampton back, that wouldn’t change their plans at all, if they were so inclined to draft Poe. Probably the fact that Poe is expected to be gone before the Steelers draft at No. 24 is more a deterrent to them drafting a nose tackle.

I agree with this. Whether Hampton was restructured or cut it really doesn't change the need at nose. They are going to need a nose tackle in this draft no matter how you slice it, and that guy is going to play.

I disagree that there is greater urgency now at ILB because of Hampton's restrucure or with Farrior gone. The need was always great for an ILB. Top 3 needs when the season ended were guard, nose and ILB and that hasn't changed at all. We need to come out of this draft with those 3 positions in the top 3 picks in some order and then later on in the draft, we need another tall/fast WR (hopefully Colbert can pull another Brown out of his ***) a second OL later on for depth (even a project guy that we could develop over the next couple years) and depth.

CowherPower
03-18-2012, 01:39 PM
They've still got Harrison as more ammo to restructure and it looks they are going to have to go that route unless they go after no free agents at all. I'm glad they got Casey's deal done and even though I don't like restructures because of pushing money off to future years, this would be a year to do it. With the TV money coming up in another year or so you might as well make the moves that you can to get your guys signed.