1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1-1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
½ cup dry bread crumbs
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
½ cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

In saucepan, cook onion, celery and bell pepper in oil until tender-crisp; stir in ketchup. Combine ½ cup ketchup mixture with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Shape into a loaf (8” x 4”) in shallow baking pan. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Pour remaining ketchup sauce, cold or heated, over meat loaf. Makes 6 servings.

floodcitygirl
01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
This is really similar to my regular meatloaf recipe. Never knew it was a "Hail Mary"!!! LOL! I'm gonna try this version.

BBG7
01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
yeah..it sounds good. I will have to give it a try. My family loves meat loaf and I get sick of the same old meat loaf every time. TIme to try something new!

Steelerlyn
01-25-2007, 12:45 PM
How do you generally make yours? I make mine like this without the ketchup and the peppers. I think peppers take over most any dish when used incorrectly so to be safe, I don't use them other than to cut them up and eat them raw. I usually add them to the dinner table. But I would also like a new receipe for meatloaf. Sometimes I add some mushrooms too, just to be a tad different from last time I made it LOL so I am an=xious to hear your receipe. :lol: :banana: :bigthumb:

TEEMONT
01-25-2007, 02:02 PM
IMO any food that has football terms mixed into it, is automatically better.

BBG7
01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I put a ketchup mixture on top that has a little dried mustard and brown sugar, but I don't use ketchup in it, green peppers, or celery. I also add onion powder, basil, and fresh snipped parsley to the meat mixture.

floodcitygirl
01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I do the same but use onion...no pepper or celery. I also add chili powder for a little zip.

On top I use ketsup, brown sugar, and a spicy brown mustard all mixed together. I have also made this in the microwave believe it or not and it turns out really well....never dry. I cook it at 50% power. I also have a turntable in my microwave. I would think you'd need to turn it several times during cooking otherwise. Hope this helps!

Steelerlyn
01-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I put a ketchup mixture on top that has a little dried mustard and brown sugar, but I don't use ketchup in it, green peppers, or celery. I also add onion powder, basil, and fresh snipped parsley to the meat mixture.

That sounds good, I am gonna try it! thank you

Steelerlyn
01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I do the same but use onion...no pepper or celery. I also add chili powder for a little zip.

On top I use ketsup, brown sugar, and a spicy brown mustard all mixed together. I have also made this in the microwave believe it or not and it turns out really well....never dry. I cook it at 50% power. I also have a turntable in my microwave. I would think you'd need to turn it several times during cooking otherwise. Hope this helps!

Sounds great Pam thanks, I use celery in everything, it is awesome in a green salad, so are radishes!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-25-2007, 08:56 PM
My Meatloaf...

2 lbs ground meat
2 small yellow onions
1/2 green pepper
1/2 cup cooked rice
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup A-1
garlic powder to taste
Heinz ketchup

Mix all together in bowl. Form into loaf cover top with Heinz to taste in glass dish bake @ 350 til done.

PsychoWard
02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
that sounds good i love meatloaf and like to try different versions!