PDA

View Full Version : question about Wallace RFA

elephantman
03-14-2012, 12:23 AM
I am unclear exactly about the Wallace situation....I do know they have to match any offer within a week ...but is their are "market value" they must meet?....(hypothetically)what if the Pats made a relatively low offer that would force are hand...lets say 5 Mil a year...so it's below his market value ( or maybe, not relavent)..they know the Steelers DONT want to sign him long term , they want the 1st rounder (and I have no doubt about this) ...as wallace is gone after this year anyway ....so they could resign cotchery easier w/out wallace on roster,,and they have high hopes for sanders (lets not forgot what he's capable of) and will Need to resign Brown next year cuz he's their man and cant have both.....

my question is, hypothetically if a team made a rediculous low offer like 3mil a year, does that mean that is all the steelers would have to pay him....the contract that was offered by another team is his worth???

K Train
03-14-2012, 12:45 AM
I am unclear exactly about the Wallace situation....I do know they have to match any offer within a week ...but is their are "market value" they must meet?....(hypothetically)what if the Pats made a relatively low offer that would force are hand...lets say 5 Mil a year...so it's below his market value ( or maybe, not relavent)..they know the Steelers DONT want to sign him long term , they want the 1st rounder (and I have no doubt about this) ...as wallace is gone after this year anyway ....so they could resign cotchery easier w/out wallace on roster,,and they have high hopes for sanders (lets not forgot what he's capable of) and will Need to resign Brown next year cuz he's their man and cant have both.....

my question is, hypothetically if a team made a rediculous low offer like 3mil a year, does that mean that is all the steelers would have to pay him....the contract that was offered by another team is his worth???
if someone made a low offer wallace could reject it and sign his tender and play for the steelers in 2012 and be an URFA in 2013. the steelers only need to match if wallace wants to sign that particular deal, but low balling him isnt gonna make him want to go there as they will be bidding against other teams at that price, and the steelers are automatically in the running for signing him until the numbers get too high, and teams know what that would take

Nolrog
03-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Teams won't lowball Wallace. There's no benefit for them to do so. They will, instead, structure a contract that the Steelers would find difficult to meet. For example, 4 years, 24 million, no signing bonus, salaries of 12 million year 1, 4 million year 2, 3 and 4. A team like the Steelers who have cap problems would find it difficlut to match such a deal..

they know the Steelers DONT want to sign him long term they want the 1st rounder (and I have no doubt about this) ...as wallace is gone after this year anyway

I think this is false. They absolutely want to keep him. It's not the Steelers talking about that additional 1 it's the fans. The Steelers want him back on a long term deal, and I think that's exactly what will happen.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I agree it's definitely not true. Whoever told you that is flat out wrong. The Steelers want nothing more than to secure Wallace long term now, if they possibly can. Colbert said as much multiple times as did Art II.

If they can't get him long term they at least want him for 1 more year. The downside to that though is then they end up with all 3 of their starting WR's as free agents next offseason. Wallace would unrestricted and both Brown and Sanders would be restricted.

elephantman
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
I agree it's definitely not true. Whoever told you that is flat out wrong. The Steelers want nothing more than to secure Wallace long term now, if they possibly can. Colbert said as much multiple times as did Art II.

If they can't get him long term they at least want him for 1 more year. The downside to that though is then they end up with all 3 of their starting WR's as free agents next offseason. Wallace would unrestricted and both Brown and Sanders would be restricted.

since free agrency, how many top receivers have the steelers held on to....?...Hines Ward?....name another one...Now perhaps if it were Calvin Johnson I'd agree, But Walllace doesent have the skill set to set him apart from the likes many other steelers they let walk....and they never had such a severe Cap problem, though I know thy fixed it, do you really think they had to save that money for one player, playing a position that is considered a dime a dozen... we have 3 other great - very goood receivers on the team already, and like most here agree, we would rather keep Brown than Wallace and its too difficult to keep both and I dont want Brown leaving next yr...i realy like the possibility of Brown, sanders and cotchery and an extra 1st rounder so solidify O line and D line...its not that i dont like wallace, but dont think its prudent to over pay him

LatrobePA
03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Wallace has the chance to be elite here and elsewhere, he's young and has upside while still being pretty damn good. Teams would be nuts not to take a sniff!

Brandon Marshall just being signed and now in trouble again could result in a long suspension, the Bears may have no choice but to snag Wallace and pay doing so..

K Train
03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
ive never seen a fan base with such sporatic opinions about a player. everyone LOVES him for 8 games, hes getting top 5-7 wr talk and after that, despite ben being hurt and the offense kind of sputtering now hes back to one dimensional and a dime a dozen WR. Short memories are good, but not half season short. everyone is so quick to jump all over him because he wants to get paid like recievers around him are getting paid for similar or even less production, that makes him a worthless diva WR apparently

same thing happened with holmes, everyone loved him, he was among the most clutch WRs and was just a notorious raven killer but as soon as the steelers traded him for next to nothing he was a piece of **** scum bag and was never really that good.

elephantman
03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
ive never seen a fan base with such sporatic opinions about a player. everyone LOVES him for 8 games, hes getting top 5-7 wr talk and after that, despite ben being hurt and the offense kind of sputtering now hes back to one dimensional and a dime a dozen WR. Short memories are good, but not half season short. everyone is so quick to jump all over him because he wants to get paid like recievers around him are getting paid for similar or even less production, that makes him a worthless diva WR apparently

same thing happened with holmes, everyone loved him, he was among the most clutch WRs and was just a notorious raven killer but as soon as the steelers traded him for next to nothing he was a piece of **** scum bag and was never really that good.

I loved Holmes and cant help but look back at last yrs SB and think had we had Holmes, we could have won that game...but Wallace couldnt make one clutch catch on that last drive...that 4th down ball would have been caught by Holmes...the wallace thing is more about him being worth paying, not as much that he isnt great

elephantman
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM

The Lions just resigned Calvlin Johnson to an absurdly high contract, but that is a Guy WORTH every dam penny..wallace is not in his league

Nolrog
03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
since free agrency, how many top receivers have the steelers held on to....?...Hines Ward?....name another one...

In the past, the Steelers had a run orientated offense. There wasn't a need to spend to keep those receivers. Now, the offense has changed and we're pass orientated. It's not a valid comparison because eye objective was different.

Zachintosh66
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
again... wallace isnt going anywhere

K Train
03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
The Lions just resigned Calvlin Johnson to an absurdly high contract, but that is a Guy WORTH every dam penny..wallace is not in his league

no one wants to get wallace 60 million guaranteed in a 140 million dollar contract, jeez lets get things into perspective. thats the richest contract ever, no one is wanting to pay wallace even the outer most boundary of that realm of pay

LatrobePA
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Johnsons contract is gigantic and will not effect Wallace..

coldrolled
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
ive never seen a fan base with such sporatic opinions about a player. .

I think the feelings are based on the 1st round pick... 2 picks is better than one, and how good is wallace.

and how could we fix our teams holes with two first round picks and still have brown, cotch, sanders etc...

makes it sporadic.

JollyRob68
03-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Holmes I LIked but he was always a Scumbag coming out of college. But he was our scumbag.

JollyRob68
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
As for Wallace, I like him but I'd take a more physical guy even if he's slower.

connecticutsteel
03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I like Wallace i hope we can lock him up for a while . The pats and the Ravens couldn't outbid the Steelers for Wallace but Cincy could throw a huge contract at Wallace that the Steelers couldn't match and still have a 1st rd pick cause they have 2 so basically they would be trading carson palmer and a2nd rd pick for wallace. Wallace and AJ Greenh that would be scary

coldrolled
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I like Wallace i hope we can lock him up for a while . The pats and the Ravens couldn't outbid the Steelers for Wallace but Cincy could throw a huge contract at Wallace that the Steelers couldn't match and still have a 1st rd pick cause they have 2 so basically they would be trading carson palmer and a2nd rd pick for wallace. Wallace and AJ Greenh that would be scary

and bush maybe

coldrolled
03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
and bush maybe

Thats why i think we are dragging behind in picks and signings and we will get run over eventually, acting like we are unbeatable. We lost to most good teams last year already. we beat the pats at home. we cant sit and watch the bungles and ravens build up.

connecticutsteel
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
the ravens are losing too not signing anyone special

LatrobePA
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
No one is even sniffing Wallace I'd say he'll be back... I'm actually shocked, I thought some idiot team would throw mad $ his way..

elephantman
03-16-2012, 10:16 PM
No one is even sniffing Wallace I'd say he'll be back... I'm actually shocked, I thought some idiot team would throw mad $ his way..

some owners are smartening up...Al Davis isnt around to overpay a one trick speedy pony...they have watched the video tape of him staring at a ball being picked and making no effort...Wallace is fast, but when I watch the great reecievers in the league (2 johnsons and fitxgerald), they make Wallace look just silly. im not talking about the last 8 weeks of the season, just that the overll "Effort" is lacking and always has been...he makes some great plays with his speed, but god forbid wallace has a mild ankle sprain, he has nothing else to offer....just speed, not worth a long term monster contract...he's not going to get faster, that much we know and does anyone think he is going to be better at running routes and being more agressive!!?...3 year eye test says NO! Done get me wrong, I love Wallace for 2.5 Mil...I'd love him at 4 Mil a yr, but thats All!! we got Cap issues, this is his last yr in Pitt guarenteed! lets resign Cotchery and were good

Nolrog
03-17-2012, 05:46 AM

Not surprising. Like I've been saying, giving up a big contract and a first round pick is a hefty cost for someone.

Nolrog
03-17-2012, 05:47 AM
some owners are smartening up...

Judging from some of the deals we've seen so far, I'm not sure that's the case.

xBlitzBurghx
03-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Judging from some of the deals we've seen so far, I'm not sure that's the case.

I agree. Contracts are ridiculous this year, but I'm not really surprised. I never understood why teams overpay one player so much that they can't get any other quality players.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

JollyRob68
03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
They dont need to rush for Wallace. They have other priorities then they can grab Wallace. Mike Mayock suggested that who ever gets Peyton might grab Wallace & Dallas Clark.
Others will wait until just before the draft to put pressure on the Steelers to want the draft pick.

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2012, 09:03 PM
They dont need to rush for Wallace. They have other priorities then they can grab Wallace. Mike Mayock suggested that who ever gets Peyton might grab Wallace & Dallas Clark.
Others will wait until just before the draft to put pressure on the Steelers to want the draft pick.

Exactly. And with Brandon Lloyd going to the Patriots, that may mean the Patriots don't go after Wallace at all. So a team like the Texans or Bengals are just sitting back, letting the dust settle.

elephantman
03-18-2012, 12:00 AM
does anyone even entertain the thought that next yr Brown will be a RFA..so by signing wallace long term means Brown walks next yr...and Sanders (who i have high expectaions for ) will also be.....do we want Walllace knowing that if we sign him long term we have O chance of signing Brown and possibly Sanders?

Nolrog
03-18-2012, 02:15 AM
does anyone even entertain the thought that next yr Brown will be a RFA..so by signing wallace long term means Brown walks next yr...and Sanders (who i have high expectaions for ) will also be.....do we want Walllace knowing that if we sign him long term we have O chance of signing Brown and possibly Sanders?

Just because they sign Wallace doesn't mean they will let Brown walk. It's highly unlikely that will be the case. They will likely keep Wallace and Brown, though Sanders at this point I'm not sure about.

That's like saying if they kept Harrison there's no chance they'd keep Woodley. Obviously they have both, and they can do the same with the receivers as well.

cmerrifield
03-18-2012, 07:38 AM

I would probably say, if they sign Wallace long term, it probably means Mendenhall walks next year. He will be a UFA and I am not sure the Steelers can pay Wallace, Brown and Sanders along with Mendenhall.

elephantman
03-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Just because they sign Wallace doesn't mean they will let Brown walk. It's highly unlikely that will be the case. They will likely keep Wallace and Brown, though Sanders at this point I'm not sure about.

That's like saying if they kept Harrison there's no chance they'd keep Woodley. Obviously they have both, and they can do the same with the receivers as well.

^cant compare Linebackers and WR's in Pittsburgh...they rarely resign any great receiver , what are the chances now doing it twice....theyve always keep at least 2 great LB's.....great LB's are harder to find

Nolrog
03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
they rarely resign any great receiver , what are the chances now doing it twice

As I already mentioned, in the past, the Steelers had a run orientated offense, so having great receivers wasn't critical to their success. They were able to let them go and bring in new ones. The offense is now very reliant on the pass, so having two good recievers is now critical to their success.