PDA

View Full Version : K Train's Steeler Mock 1.0

K Train
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
1) Donta Hightower MLB Alabama
I think if Higtower is there at 24, he will be the pick. MLB is a need, but in this case it is also a luxury pick. Hightower has had his stock up and down over the last few years, looking like a first rounder early and then a mid rounder after his injury when he didnt really play that well and looked sluggish off the snap. Since then however he has been a force in the middle of the Alabama defense. Running a 4.6 at the combine has me sold on any speed question marks he once had. At 6-4 260 that speed is ridiculous. He is a perfect compliment to timmons in the middle and will start early in his career. Has the size to take on blockers, he has the blitzing ability to get to the QB both through the middle and off the ede at OLB so if harrison and woodley both are hurt we wont be crippled at OLB, and he has the size and strength to play DE on passing downs and just get after the QB. Very versatile, but will be a key in the middle of the defense for us, ive compared him to Adalius Thomas in that he can line up anywhere on the defense pretty much. imo hes a better prospect than Rolando mcclain in every way

Other possible picks:
Cordy Glenn- Big, mauling guard. A rare athlete at the position, instant upgrade at either guard spot
Mike Adams- 19 reps isnt a problem imo, these 6-8 guys usually do about that much, starks did 21. Great athlete and would be a great duo at tackle with Gilbert.
Dontari Poe- If hes there
Peter Konz- Upgrade at guard or an EXTREME upgrade at guard if they move pouncey and put Konz at center

2) Brandon Brooks OG Miami (OH)
Heres a guy that has quickly risen up my board, hard to judge someone playing at Miami Ohio that didnt get a combine invite, but heres a little info on Brooks pro day:

After sizzling during the testing portion of his workout, Brandon Brooks continued to impress during a 10-minute segment of position drills. According to scouts Brooks moved well around the field, looking fluid and smooth. At one point during bag drills he knocked over a coach from the Pittsburgh Steelers after violently striking the bag with his powerful hand punch.Brooks is slated for a second workout next Thursday, March 8, where he will solely participate in offensive line drills. The expectations from NFL decision makers at the workout is Brooks will be the first non-combine participant drafted in April

Miami (OH) Guard Brandon Brooks had a very good pro day. He showed great athleticism (4.98, 32 inch vertical) and is a very big guy at 346. Not sure why he didn't get a Combine invite.

I think the bold is a positive thing much more than it is a negative thing. He kind of reminds me of Heath Benedict, a prospect who passed away a few years ago that the steelers were very interested in coming in and replacing Alan Faneca. Big violent guard that showed a great punch and nimble feet. I have him as a 3rd round prospect at the moment, but the steelers take him near the tail end of round 2 after missing out on Decastro, Konz, Glenn, B. Washington, K Osemele, and maybe Kevin Zeitler. But Brooks is a great consolation prize to missing out on the top guards in a pretty good guard class.

Other Possible picks: Brandon Washington, K. Osemele, Kevin Zeitler, Stephen Gilmore, Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, Alemeda Taamu, Jared Crick

3) Josh Chapman NT Alabama
Heres a guy that fought through injuries to play on arguably one of the greatest collegiate defenses ever, and he played a position that got no glory while opening up things for guys like Hightower, Upshaw, and Kirkpatrick to be first round picks. He wont be able to work out til this summer but he had a good showing on the bench (like 33 reps i believe) and he looks te part of a NT that we look for. We dont need a NT to run a 40 to draft him in the 3rd round, his tape speaks for itself

Other possible picks: Brandon Boykin, Doug Martin, Vontaze Bufict, D. Posey, Chris Polk

4) Isaiah Pead RB Cincinatti
RB probably needs to be addressed with Mendenhall starting out on the PUP list and his status being unclear. Dwyer, Clay and Redman are not guys i am comfortable with as RBs to start the year with and who the hell knows what they have planned for Baron Batch. My guess is Batch wins the 3rd down back role, but doesnt do much more than that. The steelers have shown a lot of interest in Pead and he had good workout numbers, definitely good enough to warrant a 4th rounder.

5) Chad Deihl FB Clemson
Massive 6-2 265 pound FB, no arians leaves a window open for the steelers to use a real FB again. This man has head hunter potential. Hes got good acceleration, a mean punch, and never misses his assignments. Watch some stuff on him, hes a crushing lead blocker. Not sure what the steelers actual intentions are to use a FB in the next year, but if they go back to a mosre traditional FB running scheme, Diehl is a hell of a jumping off point.

6) Ron Brooks CB LSU
Never started at LSU but was impressive in drills and ran in the 4.3s, its hard to find a starting spot when you are playing behind 2 top 6 picks in Peterson and Claiborne, and a Heisman Hopeful in Tyrann Mathieu, but hes athletic and can cover and be a beast on ST.

7) Blair Walsh Kicker Georgia
Best kicker in the draft, bring him in to compete, it is about time to make moves on a kicker that can be reliable.

connecticutsteel
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
HOPEFULLY WE GET A SHOT AT SEANTRELL HENDERSON @ LEFT TACKLE NEXT YEAR 6'8" 360 RARE ATHLETE .I am hoping we can sign green -ellis fits the steelers perfect tough guy cheap.nice mock K-TRAIN

SteelDad
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Well done as always KTrain! Do you think Hightower is 3-down backer?

K Train
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
yes, absolutely, especially with his ability to get after the QB. I could see them sending hightower and woodley off the same edge a lot, that **** would be a nightmare

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Train, why do some mocks have us going TE in the first (Lucks TE from school)???

K Train
03-13-2012, 12:35 PM
thats dumb, while im not sure what they are going to do with saunders i do think they will end up keeping him. Heath isnt that old, saunders looks good, and haley isnt very big on TE use anyway....that would be a terirble pick

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
If they don't get Hightower in the first, I assume that Vontaze Bufict then becomes a serious option in the 3rd or 4th round?

K Train
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
he may or may not be on their board at all, i still have a soft spot for him but he needs to really improve some workout numbers.

i actually think kendricks would be more likely at this point in 2-3, not the biggest guy but he put on a show at the combine

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
thats dumb, while im not sure what they are going to do with saunders i do think they will end up keeping him. Heath isnt that old, saunders looks good, and haley isnt very big on TE use anyway....that would be a terirble pick

Thanks, that's what I was thinking and couldn't understand it!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 02:30 PM
There would no reason to ever go TE in the first round, any mock that has that has zero clue.

If they want DJ back at TE he'll be available; they can ride that first month with those 2 until Saunders is able to come back.

I think Burfict could be a steal late. He entered the combine as one of the best middle linebackers there. If he gets his act together between now and the draft it could be an awesome pickup.

SteelDad
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear you see him as a 3-down guy KTrain. I wouldn't want a 1st round pick to not be on the field full time.

This talk of talking a TE in the first round is hilarious. Maybe in the late rounds, maybe.... but not in the first.

JollyRob68
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Great Job K Train. Do you think the steelers will sign a FB instead of drafting one? Owen Schmitt & Le'Ron McClain are available. THat would allow them to Draft a FS or OT in the 5th but I like your draft pick.
I think Peads goes in the 3rd.

K Train
03-13-2012, 05:20 PM
owen schmitt and mcclain would be awesome...mcclain is even great as a runner, probably the best big bruising back out there aside from michael bush. schmitt is insane, legit crazy. i loved him coming out of WVU and my favorite picture of him is his crazy *** busting his head open with his helmet when he was in seattle, that kind of mental instability is what i want in a blocking FB lol...

deilh is a disciplined, well rounded blocking FB...wouldnt mind them giving him a good look

as far as pead goes, i think the steelers are really gonna end up having him high on their list based on reports of their interest. the RB rankings are tough this year, but of 2nd and 3rd round guys...making me think some of these guys have a chance to fall with them all holding relatively similar stock at the moment

towelwaver4life
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I love Hightower and Chapman(imo best NT in draft when healthy, would be a STEAL). I would rather have James Brown from Troy instead of Brooks for the 2nd round. Why no wide receiver or tight end? Your ok with Tyler Beiler, David Gilreath, Juamorris Stewart, Derrick Williams or Jimmy Young for the #4 WR next year??? Tight end depth needs attention also.

K Train
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I love Hightower and Chapman(imo best NT in draft when healthy, would be a STEAL). I would rather have James Brown from Troy instead of Brooks for the 2nd round. Why no wide receiver or tight end? Your ok with Tyler Beiler, David Gilreath, Juamorris Stewart, Derrick Williams or Jimmy Young for the #4 WR next year??? Tight end depth needs attention also.

james brown is a high potential type, but a project too. definitely not as pro ready as some of the other guard/tackle types. i like brooks a lot more and more lately, i think hes a great fit. if we wanted versatility i would say go with osemele or washington, both probably better guards but could play tackle. i like brooks more than zeitler now i think, its hard to judge him fully since he plays at miami ohio and wasnt invited to the combine, but his workout numbers are very similar to cordy glenns, and imo glenn killed it for a man his size.

Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders are what i expect at WR, they wouldnt have outright cut ward if they didnt plan on bringing cotchery back. TE im ok with heath and david johnson, im expecting them to retain Saunders after his suspension. I would have liked Orson Charles as a vertical threat TE but he ran poor times and then got a DUI, his stock has plummeted.

Deviouz1
03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
im rather fond of your mocks Ktrain. they arent the standard 1234 picks with no follow up info. you do research and provide intelligent analysis which i find both interesting and educational. i dont give many kudos but, when i do, theyre deserved. i'll be interested to see how accurate your predictions are.

tburg68
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
If Glenn is there in first, I would like that pick, then take Burflict 3rd/4th. I really want to see the Steelers commit to an OL upgrade. It wouldn't hurt my feelings going Glenn 1st, Brooks 2nd, then Burflict.

K Train
03-13-2012, 08:46 PM
glenn in 1 and any of brooks/washington/osemele/zeitler in 2 or even brewster in 3 wouldnt hurt my feelings at all.

the reason the saints do so much of what they do on offense is because of carl nicks and jahri evans being so dominant on the inside. their tackles are trash but look good because of their guards, almost a reverse effect of what usually happens. having glenn and one other upgrade at guard on each side of pouncey would completely stop teams from blowing up the middle, it would greatly improve the run game, and it would make gilbert and colon look like world beaters regardless if they were merely average.

1 Glenn
2 Brooks
3 Pead/Polk
4 Bufict

would address the same needs and give us insane upgrades on the interior line. if you thought pouncey looked good his rookie year, wait til you see him with two super athletic 350 pounds on each side allowing him to dominate the second level

tburg68
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
glenn in 1 and any of brooks/washington/osemele/zeitler in 2 or even brewster in 3 wouldnt hurt my feelings at all.

the reason the saints do so much of what they do on offense is because of carl nicks and jahri evans being so dominant on the inside. their tackles are trash but look good because of their guards, almost a reverse effect of what usually happens. having glenn and one other upgrade at guard on each side of pouncey would completely stop teams from blowing up the middle, it would greatly improve the run game, and it would make gilbert and colon look like world beaters regardless if they were merely average.

1 Glenn
2 Brooks
3 Pead/Polk
4 Bufict

would address the same needs and give us insane upgrades on the interior line. if you thought pouncey looked good his rookie year, wait til you see him with two super athletic 350 pounds on each side allowing him to dominate the second level

I'm all for it. The farther down Burflict falls, the bigger steal he will be in my opinion. The kid just needs the right motivation. He will be an animal IMO.

I can't express how fricking happy I would be with two 350lb "bookend" Guards surrounding Pouncey. He could pull and lead every run play with the two of them on either side of him.

K Train
03-13-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm all for it. The farther down Burflict falls, the bigger steal he will be in my opinion. The kid just needs the right motivation. He will be an animal IMO.

I can't express how fricking happy I would be with two 350lb "bookend" Guards surrounding Pouncey. He could pull and lead every run play with the two of them on either side of him.
honestly when healthy colon is an above average RT with trash playing RG next to him his whole career, gilbert showed promise and the ability to recover from mistakes and play well....having mauling guards between them would make them look amazing

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
When he was healthy I think he was above average but now the last 2 years having been on IR who knows what his skill set is against top competition now.

Taking 2 Guards in this draft would make me extremely happy.

K Train
03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
imo colon looked the best ive ever seen him in limited action last season, and this injury is a major rehab like the other one was....he should be good to go

connecticutsteel
03-14-2012, 05:59 PM
The big problem Burfict has is during his interview teams asked him about the drop in production and he blamed everyone but him self he muther ****ed his coach and didn't take responsibility for his part in the fight in the locker roomand he got upset with a few teams and was heard shouting during the interview.he also is the self proclaimed best linebacker in the draft

i think we will take 2 guards just not in the first 2 rds maybe the 2nd rd

i gotta say i love me some Brandon Brooks

K Train
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
we put up with james harrison, dumb as hell and overly violent. i cant see them removing taze completely for being dumb, theres some untapped potential there, he needs to go somewhere and stay motivated though.

christ someone needs to tell these guys to humble up for interviews rather than get defensive

Black@Gold Forever32
03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
1) Donta Hightower MLB Alabama
I think if Higtower is there at 24, he will be the pick. MLB is a need, but in this case it is also a luxury pick. Hightower has had his stock up and down over the last few years, looking like a first rounder early and then a mid rounder after his injury when he didnt really play that well and looked sluggish off the snap. Since then however he has been a force in the middle of the Alabama defense. Running a 4.6 at the combine has me sold on any speed question marks he once had. At 6-4 260 that speed is ridiculous. He is a perfect compliment to timmons in the middle and will start early in his career. Has the size to take on blockers, he has the blitzing ability to get to the QB both through the middle and off the ede at OLB so if harrison and woodley both are hurt we wont be crippled at OLB, and he has the size and strength to play DE on passing downs and just get after the QB. Very versatile, but will be a key in the middle of the defense for us, ive compared him to Adalius Thomas in that he can line up anywhere on the defense pretty much. imo hes a better prospect than Rolando mcclain in every way

Other possible picks:
Cordy Glenn- Big, mauling guard. A rare athlete at the position, instant upgrade at either guard spot
Mike Adams- 19 reps isnt a problem imo, these 6-8 guys usually do about that much, starks did 21. Great athlete and would be a great duo at tackle with Gilbert.
Dontari Poe- If hes there
Peter Konz- Upgrade at guard or an EXTREME upgrade at guard if they move pouncey and put Konz at center

2) Brandon Brooks OG Miami (OH)
Heres a guy that has quickly risen up my board, hard to judge someone playing at Miami Ohio that didnt get a combine invite, but heres a little info on Brooks pro day:

I think the bold is a positive thing much more than it is a negative thing. He kind of reminds me of Heath Benedict, a prospect who passed away a few years ago that the steelers were very interested in coming in and replacing Alan Faneca. Big violent guard that showed a great punch and nimble feet. I have him as a 3rd round prospect at the moment, but the steelers take him near the tail end of round 2 after missing out on Decastro, Konz, Glenn, B. Washington, K Osemele, and maybe Kevin Zeitler. But Brooks is a great consolation prize to missing out on the top guards in a pretty good guard class.

Other Possible picks: Brandon Washington, K. Osemele, Kevin Zeitler, Stephen Gilmore, Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, Alemeda Taamu, Jared Crick

3) Josh Chapman NT Alabama
Heres a guy that fought through injuries to play on arguably one of the greatest collegiate defenses ever, and he played a position that got no glory while opening up things for guys like Hightower, Upshaw, and Kirkpatrick to be first round picks. He wont be able to work out til this summer but he had a good showing on the bench (like 33 reps i believe) and he looks te part of a NT that we look for. We dont need a NT to run a 40 to draft him in the 3rd round, his tape speaks for itself

Other possible picks: Brandon Boykin, Doug Martin, Vontaze Bufict, D. Posey, Chris Polk

4) Isaiah Pead RB Cincinatti
RB probably needs to be addressed with Mendenhall starting out on the PUP list and his status being unclear. Dwyer, Clay and Redman are not guys i am comfortable with as RBs to start the year with and who the hell knows what they have planned for Baron Batch. My guess is Batch wins the 3rd down back role, but doesnt do much more than that. The steelers have shown a lot of interest in Pead and he had good workout numbers, definitely good enough to warrant a 4th rounder.

5) Chad Deihl FB Clemson
Massive 6-2 265 pound FB, no arians leaves a windo open for the steelers to use a real FB again. This man has head hunter potential. Hes got good acceleration, a mean punch, and never misses his assignments. Watch some stuff on him, hes a crushing lead blocker. Not sure what the steelers actual intentions are to use a FB in the next year, but if they go back to a mosre traditional FB running scheme, Diehl is a hell of a jumping off point.

6) Ron Brooks CB LSU
Never started at LSU but was impressive in drills and ran in the 4.3s, its hard to find a starting spot when you are playing behind 2 top 6 picks in Peterson and Claiborne, and a Heisman Hopeful in Tyrann Mathieu, but hes athletic and can cover and be a beast on ST.

7) Blair Walsh Kicker Georgia
Best kicker in the draft, bring him in to compete, it is about time to make moves on a kicker that can be reliable.

Nice solid mock....I really don't like addressing defense early in the draft since the NFL is such an offense driven league now (especially the passing game) but its hard to argue against Hightower especially if he is BAP...........I would be happy with this draft if it happened...I really like what I have been hearing and reading about Brooks......

tburg68
03-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Most professional athletes have social issues and/or god complexes. I really don't care what any of them do off the field, as long as they don't get caught. I have no delusions about their personal charactor, and therefore don't care. Win my team some ball games, period!

Number99
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Nice draft K Train. I wouldn't mind that at all.
As for Burfict, his interview doesnt bother me as much as his workout at the combine. I mean he just looked awful. And his 5.09 40 is just pitiful. It's one thing to look dumb in the interview as long as your on the field play backs you up. That didnt happen this year. And it certainly didnt happen at the combine. Until I watched him at the combine I liked him alot. Now not really sure I'd even draft him. If the Steelers dont get to draft Hightower, I'd rather take a guy later like JM Johnson.

JollyRob68
03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
What do you think about Delvin Johnson NT Marshall? He could be a 5th round pick and could be NT & 5tech.

coach
03-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I like these selections better than the mock where we took a Nose in second and OL in 3rd. I think the top 3 address immediate needs. I hope a QB or two rise and leave us with a better position player to choose from. I think I would get real excited for this draft if Wallace gets signed somewhere. I like him but I think the extra first could open a lot of ridiculous possibilities for this draft.