PDA

View Full Version : Clark tells NFL Network that he thinks Wallace is gone

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Clark was on NFL Network last night as a guest analyst. One of the topics discussed was Mike Wallace. What a shock right?!

They asked him about whether or not he thought the Steelers would be able to retain Wallace and after beating around the bush for a bit he finally said Wallace as good as gone.

The reasons he gave were interesting though. The Steelers would lose Wallace to another team because their were teams who know that taking Wallace would hurt the steelers chances of returning to the SuperBowl and this would be a strong motive for them trying to take Wallace away, and also that Wallace was the number one deep threat receiver in the NFL.

I agree with the last part but I hardly think any team is going to sign a player just to hurt another team in the process. You don't have the money to make those kind of moves in this day and age. It may be a thought in the back of your head but not a clear cut reason to sign someone.

Number99
03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Here just a hypothetical thought on this. Lets say Manning signs with Denver. With all the cap space they have I could see Denver giving up the 25th pick for Wallace. Now again its just a thought but it's a very plausable scenario.

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Here just a hypothetical thought on this. Lets say Manning signs with Denver. With all the cap space they have I could see Denver giving up the 25th pick for Wallace. Now again its just a thought but it's a very plausable scenario.

I want Tebow, trade Wallace for Tebow send Ben to the Cards, we'll win many more SB's with Tebow... lol hahahahahahahaha

LarryNJ
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I saw him on last night...only I was in a bar and didn't hear what he was saying. :beer1:

I don't think someone is going to take him to hurt us, but they will to make their team better.

Nolrog
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
He's not going anywhere. Someone will have to give up a truck load of money and a first round pick to get him. There are other good receivers out there that they can get for just the money. I'd say 80/20 he's back with 3-4 year deal with the Steelers.

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Moss is out of the mix now, that only leaves a couple real good WR's, Wallace will be overpaid on another team...

NHSteeler
03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
If you're a team interested in Wallace, I think it comes down to this: Is there a WR you can draft in the first round that will be better than Wallace? If not, sign Wallace and give up your pick

K Train
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
i dont think hes gonna be around much longer either

cmerrifield
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
If he goes, I dont think he will but if, it wont be early. It will be the team who went after Jackson, Colston and maybe Wayne and didnt get them. If a team needs a WR and didnt get on of the top 4 or 5, then Wallace will get some notice, probably not before.

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 09:47 AM
If he goes, I dont think he will but if, it wont be early. It will be the team who went after Jackson, Colston and maybe Wayne and didnt get them. If a team needs a WR and didnt get on of the top 4 or 5, then Wallace will get some notice, probably not before.

Think about age here, Wallace is the youngest of the group!!

Report: Colston, Saints working hard on long-term contract

ldvious15
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I see him gone too......but here's a thought........let's cut Clarke and sign Landry!!!!!

LarryNJ
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
If you're a team interested in Wallace, I think it comes down to this: Is there a WR you can draft in the first round that will be better than Wallace? If not, sign Wallace and give up your pick

That's the reason he will be gone. A number 1 pick isn't much to give up.

BigNateC103
03-13-2012, 11:05 AM
That's the reason he will be gone. A number 1 pick isn't much to give up.

That, and there are too many teams out there with WAY too much cap space (20-30+ Million) that they have no choice but to spend. Oh, and a first round pic IS a lot to give up. For example, Steelers picked Hampton Polamalu Roethlisberger Mendenhall Burress Pouncey Holmes and Timmons in the 1st round over the past 10 seasons. We draft better than most, but Id take anyone of those players before Wallace or at least be absolutely happy with having one of them over him if thats what we had to "settle" for.. You know??

coldrolled
03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
if he gets us a #1 pick higher than 24 we will let him go. if its a later round one we will match the deal.
if he goes i hope its Bears #19 ..

the FA WR's need to get signed first then the bears will have to make a decision. i give this a week to play out.

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Saints just resigned, Mike is going to be looking better...

Goodfrom55
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Think of it from this angle as well - if the Steelers lose Wallace and get another team's draft pick, can they really AFFORD to sign (2) 1st round picks? I don't think they can.

K Train
03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
yes they can with the rookie cap

Nolrog
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
if he goes i hope its Bears #19 ..

Bears traded for Brandon Marshall, two third round picks. Marshall has 5 consecutive years over 1000 yards, 5 years of 80+ catches and 3 years of 100+ catches. And he netted two 3rds.

K Train
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Bears traded for Brandon Marshall, two third round picks. Marshall has 5 consecutive years over 1000 yards, 5 years of 80+ catches and 3 years of 100+ catches. And he netted two 3rds.

hes also nuts, a legit head case and tough to deal with who was making 9 mil a year. i think peyton wanted no part of him if the dolphins were gonna be able to land him.

tells me they are targeting blackmon or floyd at 9, but this was a decent deal for both teams, especially if it woos manning

tburg68
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I think the market for Wallace is fading. That being said, it may be this year and no more for Wallace and the Steelers.

K Train
03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
i think if its gonna heat up for him its gonna be now that wayne and jackson are signed

elephantman
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I think the market for Wallace is fading. That being said, it may be this year and no more for Wallace and the Steelers.

I agree , too many receivers and who wants to give up a 1st rounder and have to PAY this guy...Vincent jackson just signed for a steep price....very few receivers are worth this money....the 2 johnsons and Fitzgerald...outside of that their close to a dime a dozen...Wallace will part in Free agency next yr, but we need to keep Brown and hopefully Sanders depending on how he turns out but I have high expectations for him thats why "my' wallace stock is low

tburg68
03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
And Ravens are one team still in need. I wouldn't like to see that happen. Draft pick is low also.

Nolrog
03-13-2012, 11:16 PM

I agree, the teams with the biggest needs are starting to fill them. However, I don't think it's this year and done. Either Wallace will be a Steeler for the next few years or he'll be gone now. I don't see him coming back on a 1 year deal.

K Train
03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
i mean its only been half a day, i wouldnt really say its cooling down, all the teams rumored are pretty much still in play. the niners signed moss, but i dont think they are out yet either

elephantman
03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
i mean its only been half a day, i wouldnt really say its cooling down, all the teams rumored are pretty much still in play. the niners signed moss, but i dont think they are out yet either

^ no the 49ers are out of it...they dont want wallace with Moss....they made their move and are not giving up a #1 for another receiver, especially being they got a relative similar receiver, but this one they have to pay for....

and I dont want cincy to grab him

btw, I have a suspicion that the Cinci future is going to be very bright...a tough division we looking at in the future and now

K Train
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
moss doesnt even have any guaranteed money, they can cut him any time. id say the niners are still in it, they just lost josh morgan

Steeler4life
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm a little lost with this RFA stuff. If someone ofers him a contract, the Steelers have 1 week to match and if not, they get that teams #1 pick, that I get but, is it this years #1 pick or next years? Does the RFA stuff have to take place before this years draft?

K Train
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
im not 100% sure but i think they have a certain amount of time to sign their tender deal and play under that contract for the season and become an unrestricted free agent the following year. but during that time is when they can sing a long term deal with the steelers or have a team offer a contract that would be packaged with the first round pick for the steelers to either match or take the pick.

if they dont sign the tender or get under contract, they dont play the next year

coldrolled
03-14-2012, 08:58 AM

The losers of the WR deals are in the market now... The UFA WR's went fast. A couple of days and the pressure will mount for Wallace.

cmerrifield
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
im not 100% sure but i think they have a certain amount of time to sign their tender deal and play under that contract for the season and become an unrestricted free agent the following year. but during that time is when they can sing a long term deal with the steelers or have a team offer a contract that would be packaged with the first round pick for the steelers to either match or take the pick.

if they dont sign the tender or get under contract, they dont play the next year

The deadline for a team to go after Wallace is April 20th. If they go after that, they Steelers have to agree to a 2013 #1 pick for Wallace or approval from the NFL for 2012. The Steelers have 5 days to match the over in the new CBA.

coldrolled
03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
NFL.com Wrote:

Restricted free agents will stay restricted. We spent a lot of time talking about the possibility of a restricted free agent getting plundered, particularly Pittsburgh Steelers WR Mike Wallace. Don't think it'll happen, though. The Baltimore Ravens have decided against it, and it would be tough cap-wise for the New England Patriots to pull off the kind of offer sheet necessary. The Bengals have other needs. San Francisco would be the team I'd fear most if I was in Pittsburgh's front office between now and the April 20 deadline to sign a restricted free agent, but the Niners just signed Randy Moss as a vertical threat. When push comes to shove, I suspect the Steelers are OK. The history of restricted free agency would indicate not much action, and even though the first-and-third tender no longer exists, I predict it'll remain a quiet market.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
coldrolled,

Your being too optimistic. The well ran ball clubs just let the idiot teams run out and spend all their money. Notice that us, Ravens, Patriots, Packers, Giants..all the well ran teams just laid back and let the dum asses spend all their money. Now...when the dust settles by this weekend, the real teams will start to show their hands.

All we really know now is that Wallace won't be approached by the Bears. But now, teams like the Chargers, Colts, Bengals, Patriots and Rams are in need. They will step to Wallace when all the super big money options have spent their money and can't offer Wallace anything better then what they offer. It's a game. And the successful organazations know how to play it.

LatrobePA
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
coldrolled,

Your being too optimistic. The well ran ball clubs just let the idiot teams run out and spend all their money. Notice that us, Ravens, Patriots, Packers, Giants..all the well ran teams just laid back and let the dum asses spend all their money. Now...when the dust settles by this weekend, the real teams will start to show their hands.

All we really know now is that Wallace won't be approached by the Bears. But now, teams like the Chargers, Colts, Bengals, Patriots and Rams are in need. They will step to Wallace when all the super big money options have spent their money and can't offer Wallace anything better then what they offer. It's a game. And the successful organazations know how to play it.

Really? Brandon Marshall just got into trouble in a bar hitting a woman, that could lead to a long suspension thus forcing them to spend on the next best, Wallace..

steelersbabex25
03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Let's all not lie to ourselves here. If Wallace doesn't go this year I could see him almost definitely going in 2013. He's not the kind of player who wants to stick around a good organization. He would go to the Browns if they offered him the money.

K Train
03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
id like to know where that view of wallace comes from? what has he done to indicate that?

Goodfrom55
03-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Let's all not lie to ourselves here. If Wallace doesn't go this year I could see him almost definitely going in 2013. He's not the kind of player who wants to stick around a good organization. He would go to the Browns if they offered him the money.

Hate to say it, but I believe you're correct. Besides, they will have to do this all over again next year with AB and Sanders. From the self-proclaimed "young money" nickname, I get the feeling his loyalty is to the team with the biggest checkbook. I said it once and I'll say it again, if he goes to a team that does not have an elite QB, Wallace's numbers will be average at best.

StlersGuy
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Hate to say it, but I believe you're correct. Besides, they will have to do this all over again next year with AB and Sanders. From the self-proclaimed "young money" nickname, I get the feeling his loyalty is to the team with the biggest checkbook. I said it once and I'll say it again, if he goes to a team that does not have an elite QB, Wallace's numbers will be average at best.
In today's NFL they all are like that it's all about the MONEY

steelersbabex25
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
id like to know where that view of wallace comes from? what has he done to indicate that?

If Wallace wanted to stay with the Steelers over getting a huge paycheck I can guarantee you that they would have come to an agreement by now.

K Train
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
If Wallace wanted to stay with the Steelers over getting a huge paycheck I can guarantee you that they would have come to an agreement by now.

i disagree, i think the steelers went an ok way approaching this. Letting him test the market (probably with every intention of matching all non-ridiculous offers). wallace gets this rep as a bad guy and a diva and i just think its pre mature.

hes testing the market, which automatically makes everyone think he doesnt want to be here or wants to only get paid....well no ****, he wants a fair market deal

Hes not as bad of a diva as desean jackson, hes better and more talented and just as fast as desean jackson, and jackson just got a $50 million deal which kinda scares me because he drove the market price for wallace up, if jackson could get what holmes got im sure wallace is going to want more than jackson.

Goodfrom55
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
In today's NFL they all are like that it's all about the MONEY

To a point I understand and they should do that or at least negotiate guaranteed money. Funny how some of these players say I want to stay with so and so team, but you know. . .He earned a pay raise, no doubt. I for one will be very surprised if he is on the Steelers next season - pleasantly surprised.

Goodfrom55
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
He is going to be untouchable if/when he signs an offer sheet from some other team.

steelersbabex25
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
i disagree,

I knew ya would.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't understand why everyone in the media thinks Wallace is gone. If he were unrestricted he might very well have been gone by now or atleast had discussions with teams but the dude is restricted. Who wants to give up a first round pick and a heavily front loaded contract for big money on just one player? It just makes no sense even for a team with a ton of money to spend. Wallace will be back and the Steelers will get him signed to a long term deal before preseason is over.

K Train
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I knew ya would.

;-)

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2012, 08:59 PM
With the Patriots signing Brandon Lloyd, does that mean their out of the Mike Wallace derby?

LevonKirkland99
03-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Haha! All the Wallace fans on this forum, stand up and cheer his departure!!!! I like the guy, but he's one trick pony.

LevonKirkland99
03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Snyder will give him a boat load of money.
' this was supposed to be a responce to Steelersbabex'

LevonKirkland99
03-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Wallace thinks he is a big time receiver, and rightly so. The Steelers are too cheap to pay him his asking price, that's all.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
With the Patriots signing Brandon Lloyd, does that mean their out of the Mike Wallace derby?

It would appear that they are, as is the 49ers now too. The Jags could still be interested but I don't think they are parting with a top 10 pick for Wallace. I would say if the Broncos landed Manning, they might consider giving up their first round pick but again still not likely in my mind.

DIESELMAN
03-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Wallace thinks he is a big time receiver, and rightly so. The Steelers are too cheap to pay him his asking price, that's all.

Just because the Steelers pay fair market value, does not make them cheap. It's a win win scenario for the Steelers, someone makes an offer we can't or won't match, we get a 1st rd pick. Or no one makes him an offer, he has been tendered a fair value offer, he signs and he stays, work out a long term contract later. Another reason the Steelers don't sign big name FA's, to ****ing expensive. Everybody knows how the Steelers do things and whether anyone likes it or not, it has been successful for decades.

igor0190
03-19-2012, 12:21 AM
It makes me laugh to watch these other teams pay top dollar for WR's... The money the Redskins gave Pierre Garcon is ridiculous. Calvin Johnson? Amazing player, but to have that much money wrapped up in one player who's NOT THE QB, is ridiculous... The Steelers know what they are doing, and it'll once again be proven over time by giving us a consistent winning team.

K Train
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
It makes me laugh to watch these other teams pay top dollar for WR's... The money the Redskins gave Pierre Garcon is ridiculous. Calvin Johnson? Amazing player, but to have that much money wrapped up in one player who's NOT THE QB, is ridiculous... The Steelers know what they are doing, and it'll once again be proven over time by giving us a consistent winning team.

i agree that WRs have gotten ridiculous deals this year, but when you DO have that kind of money tied up in a QB like the lions do with stafford you can lock up the best (imo by a wide margin) wr in the league. They have a lot of money invested in 3 preimum positions between suh, calvin, and stafford.

Guys like garcon, laurant robison, desean and vincent jackson really cashed in driving the WR market price up, calvin however did not do that