PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Mike Tolbert..Update signs with Panthers

acero
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
this guy is an ufa, the guy is a workhorse i love his style, he is a backup in san diego and shouldnt be too expensive, also mendenhall is seriously injured, tolbert is smash mouth football

Nolrog
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
/sigh. Here we go.

LatrobePA
03-12-2012, 10:21 PM
This team will never sign a big to semi big name player(s)!!

connecticutsteel
03-13-2012, 01:26 AM
especially this year there focus is on the tendered guys then the urfa's like Cotchery

acero
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
ha ha ha you are right in fact im one of the first to say never will the steelers do it, but i like this guys running style so much

connecticutsteel
03-13-2012, 01:57 AM
I would sign eric winston RT JUST RELEASED BY THE TEXANS but we won't

JollyRob68
03-13-2012, 06:28 AM

Agreed

LatrobePA
03-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Give me Bush from the Raiders over Tolbert....

Nolrog
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM

Now your talking. Or Huthinson (sp?) who's one of the best guards out there.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
From Will DePaoli,

NFL source says #Chargers RB Mike Tolbert "would love to be a Steeler" and "he is everything Steelers are about"

#Steelers interested and have discussed Tolbert internally, but don't have cap space to get something done.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

coldrolled
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
we need to redo some contracts and remove more dead weight

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2012, 01:29 AM
From Will DePaoli

#Steelers pursuit right now of Tolbert is classic #Steelers. Player had initial interest, team waited for market to develop, then pursued

Decision for RB Mike Tolbert expected this weekend. As mentioned on Tuesday, Tolbert has been pushing to sign with #Steelers.

acero
03-17-2012, 01:42 AM
lets hope so

K Train
03-17-2012, 01:58 AM
id like it, legit the slowest group of RBs ever though lol

JollyRob68
03-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Profootballtalk said his talks with SD brokedown and he's schedule Saturday to visit with Pittsburgh.

wyn50
03-17-2012, 04:42 AM
as long as he is durable. we have been getting some fragile rb's lately. :lol:

LatrobePA
03-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Sign his *** and cut more dead weight!

Speeed
03-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I say bring him in, or anybody else for that matter. Competition brings out the best in people. Living in Baltimore, I keep up with the Ravens. It seems they consistently bring in players to challenge starters. The Steelers do the opposite. It seems that nobody who comes in has an iota of a chance to usurp a position. Everyone knows they will join the team as a second or third deep man. And these guys seem to show up at the strangest time during the season in games.

It might just be my perception, but it seems that is the opinion of many here too. I feel that hurts their chances at signing players who could really contribute. Even so, the Steelers must know what they are doing as they usually, especially as of late, are in playoff contention.

I say Mendy will stay, with the same guys (Clay, Reds, etc.) being able to contribute but only showing up at odd times during the season. Mendy needs solid competition to keep him honest.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2012, 11:08 AM
That's a very good point Speeed, it's rare that the Steelers bring in a free agent to actually challenge the incumbent starter. It mainly has to do with the fact that they groom their draft picks to be starters and just don't feel the need to bring in free agents to be anything more than depth. At least in a perfect scenario. Occasionally they'll bring in a guy like Mahan but how often does a move like that work out for them? He was a disaster!

The only free agents in recent history to come in and actually do well in a starting role is Ryan Clark and James Farrior. Look how long ago they were brought in though.

Normally they just bring in guys like Cotchery, or Mewelde Moore to fill in the holes.

I don't know how much Tolbert would have a chance to push Redman for the starting job at the beginning of the year but it certainly won't hurt.

JollyRob68
03-17-2012, 11:49 AM
I think its more of a 1-2 punch plus he is a good blocker and receiver. He had 1400 yards last year. I also like Ben Jarvis Green Ellis.

acero
03-17-2012, 01:06 PM
just sign him and he will be a blast for us

Danger DANJ
03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Do my eyes deceive me? Steelers really are going after Tolbert? I would love that move. Bring him in and cut some more dead weight. If he is signed, it could be the end of one or two RB's on the roster right now. I'd rather have Michael Bush as well but I think Tolbert is just more feasable financially. I wonder if Haley is pushing to get Tolbert?

coldrolled
03-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Mendenhall will be on IR... With Hampton

How can we not have cap problems with a hostipal bench and millions sitting on it. Something has to give.

LatrobePA
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Hampton should of been cut, why the F is Dsep still on this roster taking money??

cmerrifield
03-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Hampton should of been cut, why the F is Dsep still on this roster taking money??

He is not. He was a fa and we haven't resigned him.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
According to Gerry Dulac there is no visit scheduled right now but I've read conflicting reports out of several media outlets. We'll have to see how this turns out but I think he'd be a cool addition.

Yeah they aren't going to bring back DSep. Right now it's Kapinos' job to lose.

steelersbabex25
03-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I love Tolbert but unless Mendenhall gets injured again (which, I admit, is a distinct possibility), I just don't see there being enough room for him on the roster.

Number99
03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
According to Gerry Dulac there is no visit scheduled right now but I've read conflicting reports out of several media outlets. We'll have to see how this turns out but I think he'd be a cool addition.

Yeah they aren't going to bring back DSep. Right now it's Kapinos' job to lose.

Just like Manning never worked out with the 49er's till it leaked out yesterday. :stirpot:
But seriously...Tolbert is a bowling ball, right out of the Bus Jr mold.

steelcityrockers
03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I love Tolbert but unless Mendenhall gets injured again (which, I admit, is a distinct possibility), I just don't see there being enough room for him on the roster.

Well, at the very least he is a capable ST guy and really good on 3rd down. I'd gladly take him over Dwyer and Clay.

connecticutsteel
03-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Cut dwyer and put Clay back on the practice squad start tolbert and Batch and keep Redman in reserve.when mendy gets back release Redman and keep Tolbert ,Batch and Mendenhall.

One thing that puzzles me is in the article about signing Tolbert it says we are only 6 mil under the cap it has to be way more then that and if it is only that much because of Wallace See ya mike you cost to much i'll take my chances with Cotchery Brown,Sanders and someone else

connecticutsteel
03-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Hampton hasn't been cut because that would leave only Mclendon as our only NT on the roster that can't happen that is why i think we will take one in the first three rounds or take another DT and slide Ziggy Hood over to NT

Nolrog
03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Hampton hasn't been cut because that would leave only Mclendon as our only NT on the roster that can't happen that is why i think we will take one in the first three rounds or take another DT and slide Ziggy Hood over to NT

But what difference does it make if Hampton is on the roster but spends the year (or most of it) on IR or is cut? Either way, we only have McLendon.

connecticutsteel
03-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Maybe they know something we don't

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Give me Bush from the Raiders over Tolbert....

I agree.

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2012, 10:05 PM

I'm thinking that if we take a NT with one of our first two picks, Hampton might be dismissed then.

cmerrifield
03-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking that if we take a NT with one of our first two picks, Hampton might be dismissed then.

They guaranteed him a roster spot to take a paycut.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

steelersbabex25
03-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Well, at the very least he is a capable ST guy and really good on 3rd down. I'd gladly take him over Dwyer and Clay.

He's too good to be a ST guy or even a third down back for that matter. He's gonna get a significant amount of carries wherever he goes.

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Too bad. Because we still need a for real staring NT. That isn't Hampton anymore.

coldrolled
03-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe they know something we don't

they injected woods with some grown up man steroids. if woods would clean his crap up he would be our new hampton.. hes a beast.

LatrobePA
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Hampton is a single blocker turd now! He use to demand a double team now he's just old, fat and not that good!

coldrolled
03-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Dwyer played one game under arians and got 100+ yards i think ...

We should cut him???

Ibleedblk&gld
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, I think it's safe to say Mike Tolbert is now out of the question :(

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55579/mike-tolbert-is-visiting-carolina

He's just working out, but this article says nothing about Pittsburgh

LatrobePA
03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Doesn't surprise me! This team will keep players from with in. It also appears unless cinci makes a run for Wallace he'll be back..

Ibleedblk&gld
03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
saw that too...I was really hoping for Tolbert...he would bring a little more excitement to our run game

acero
03-18-2012, 10:11 PM
i agree that the steelers stay with in but carolina doesnt need rbs

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
From Ed Bouchette...excerpt only from his subscription site. (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115411)

This time of the season has a name, and it’s not free agency. It’s the Misinformation Age, a time when more wrong information somehow gets delivered and passed around like a bottle of bourbon on Saint Patrick’s Day.

Agents and their free agents have their own agenda, which is to try to either start or build up the bidding for the player’s services and usually the only way to do that is by having multiple teams interested in the free agent.
The most recent example of the Misinformation Age came over the weekend and involved the Steelers supposed interest in San Diego running back Mike Tolbert, an unrestricted free agent. Talks broke off between Tolbert’s agent and the Chargers, so Tolbert would naturally look elsewhere.

A Friday story in the San Diego Union-Tribune started matters by reporting that Tolbert would visit a team over the weekend and that “visit is with the Steelers or Panthers.’’

Tolbert then said on a radio show that he thought he’d be a perfect fit for the Steelers.
Suddenly, not only was that turned into by many others that the Steelers were interested in Tolbert but that he actually would visit them. Hosts on Pittsburgh’s The Fan, 93.7, even announced that Tolbert had said on Twitter that he would visit the Steelers over the weekend.

Further checking revealed that not only did Tolbert not write that, he did not say it on the radio. The kicker: Not only is Tolbert not visiting the Steelers, the Steelers have had not conversations with Tolbert’s agent, Joel Turner.

coldrolled
03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
saw that too...I was really hoping for Tolbert...he would bring a little more excitement to our run game

Haley will make our run game exciting. Seriously, after years of the other guy we have no idea what was left out of our offense.

wyn50
03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
We don't need any new RB's. I think steelers should do fine with what they have....as long as they stay healthy. Plus, they probably will take a RB in the draft somewhere. That is how the steelers roll.

Number99
03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Ok so Tolbert signed with Carolina. It was a nice thought while it lasted. Shame, I think he would have made a great rb for this team.

PITTxPRIDE
03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
From Will DePaoli,

NFL source says #Chargers RB Mike Tolbert "would love to be a Steeler" and "he is everything Steelers are about"

#Steelers interested and have discussed Tolbert internally, but don't have cap space to get something done.

TOLBERT TOLBERT TOLBERT!!!!! i say draft him he is a freakin G

Steelersfan
03-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Really? Draft him?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Blazedby92
03-21-2012, 03:01 AM
TOLBERT TOLBERT TOLBERT!!!!! i say draft him he is a freakin G

????????? WOW!!

JollyRob68
03-21-2012, 06:56 AM