PDA

View Full Version : Darren Perry Resigns.. Damn!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756585-66.stm

This sux !! I really like Darren and the players liked him too from all accounts that I've heard.

Whipple and secondary coach Darren Perry appear to be the only remaining members of Bill Cowher's staff who will not be retained by Tomlin. Perry, who has been an assistant coach with the Steelers since 2003, resigned today.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
That does suck. I like Perry alot. A very under-rated player for the Steelers and I thought he had a future as a DC.

House of Steel
01-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Well that just put the icing on the cake on what a damn offseason we are having so far. How many coaches do we need now? 5?

SteelerFan87
01-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Dammit! Perry is a very good coach, and it sucks to lose him. And Whipple.... What the **** are we doing hiring Ken Anderson???

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I was thinking he'd have a chance at a DC job at some point with us too if Lebeau retired in the next few years.

Koopa
01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
i guess i don't see the same db's play that y'all do lol

K Train
01-24-2007, 11:19 PM

seriously.....we'll get someone new...get over it

BlackGold4vr
01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I think some new ideas and techniques in the secondary might be a good thing. I have said in the past that Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden have great potential and I thought that on most of the deep plays made against us this past year, they had decent position but never turned to see the ball. I also thought that they (the corners) played too far off the line of scrimmage and many teams took advantage of that throwing those quick out patterns. Look at Asante Samuel from the Patriots. He doesn't keep his back turned to the QB for very long and that allows him to play the QB's eyes and the ball after its thrown! Lots of DB coaches out there. This is no different than when Chuck Nolls old staff was replaced by Bill Cowher (except for Dick Hoak). Also look at how many of Cowher assistants left over the years to take jobs with other teams. I will tell you this, Minnesota fans are not very happy about losing Tomlin! Some of the fans say Tomlin was the motivator on that team......not Brad Childress! The same fans were hoping Childress would be fired and that Tomlin would become their next coach! I am convinced that of all the head coach hirings that we got the best candidate out there! Time will tell! I just hope that in 3 years we can afford to keep him if he turns out to be the coach I think he will be. Tony Dungy called the Rooney's and personally endorsed Tomlin as a rising star. I respect Dungy's opinion and obviously the Steeler braintrust Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II, and Kevin Colbert agreed and saw the same things Dungy did! I am psyched about the future of Steeler football!

:tt02:

K Train
01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
the dbs play so far off the line of scrimmage to diguise some of the blitz and coverage packages, they can and have worked great but our pass rush was inconsistant last year and it exploited our dbs, im hoping ike can bounce back and play at a high level while i think mcfadden is gonna be something special.....leon hall is a possiblity and i think he could easily win a starting job, but again we do have more pressing needs

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Don't be shy.. tell us what you really think !! :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I rather have the corner from Cal then Leon Hall. I follow Michigan football and I think Hall is over-rated. He is a good player don't get me wrong.

K Train
01-24-2007, 11:36 PM
ok, well revis is also an option....whos the corner for cal?

Steelerlyn
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
So he will be in AZ too? Good, clean slate let's see what you can do MT!

Koopa
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
f'k a corner in the first round, blalock or a linebacker lol

DIESELMAN
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
I think some new ideas and techniques in the secondary might be a good thing. I have said in the past that Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden have great potential and I thought that on most of the deep plays made against us this past year, they had decent position but never turned to see the ball. I also thought that they (the corners) played too far off the line of scrimmage and many teams took advantage of that throwing those quick out patterns. Look at Asante Samuel from the Patriots. He doesn't keep his back turned to the QB for very long and that allows him to play the QB's eyes and the ball after its thrown! Lots of DB coaches out there. This is no different than when Chuck Nolls old staff was replaced by Bill Cowher (except for Dick Hoak). Also look at how many of Cowher assistants left over the years to take jobs with other teams. I will tell you this, Minnesota fans are not very happy about losing Tomlin! Some of the fans say Tomlin was the motivator on that team......not Brad Childress! The same fans were hoping Childress would be fired and that Tomlin would become their next coach! I am convinced that of all the head coach hirings that we got the best candidate out there! Time will tell! I just hope that in 3 years we can afford to keep him if he turns out to be the coach I think he will be. Tony Dungy called the Rooney's and personally endorsed Tomlin as a rising star. I respect Dungy's opinion and obviously the Steeler braintrust Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II, and Kevin Colbert agreed and saw the same things Dungy did! I am psyched about the future of Steeler football!

:tt02:

Well put :helmet: I've always thought we needed help with our secondary they weren't getting it done. New techniques and getting back to basics will be what I'm hoping will happen. To many times the ball is in the air and the receiver is making his adjustments and our CB's don't react, all they do is put their arrms up and bump into the receiver.....I welcome the change and can't wait for the 2007 season to start. I am so ****ing stoked!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2007, 11:48 PM
The corner from Cal is Daymeion Hughes.

House of Steel
01-24-2007, 11:50 PM
We need an offensive or defensive lineman in the first round, no question about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post

Our CB's playing off on the defensive players was more scheme usually than anything else. I hated seeing them give a 5-10 yd cushion all the time but more often that not it was the design of the certain play as much as it may have been us not wanting to get burned because we were busy rushing a safety up in the box to stop the run or blitz.

I look forward to seeing what Tomlin and Lebeau come up with together and I fully expect Ike to regain his form and work opposite mcfadden in 2007.

AZ_Steeler
01-25-2007, 12:40 AM
WOW!!! I definitely didn't see this coming at all! Oh well though can't do anything about it but move on and hope for the best for the Steelers and Perry! Considering how the secondary has been the last few years maybe this is somehitng positive and something that needed to happen because we as fans were blinded by Perry's inabilities to put a quality secondary on the field just because he is an ex-Steeler himself :dunno:

Steelerlyn
01-25-2007, 01:17 AM
So are Perry and Whipple leaving because they wanted to (greener pastures elsewhere, ? loyalty to Grimm), or because Tomlin and/or the organization wanted to replace them? I could see Tonlin wanting to bring in his own guys, and it wouldn't surprise me if Tomlin, a defensive guy himself, had someone in mind to coach the secondary, but why would he want to replace Whipple with Ken Anderson? Does he have a past relationship with Anderson? Or was Whipple in line for the OC position, and is leaving because he lost out to Arians?

Steelersfan
01-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Our CB's playing off on the defensive players was more scheme usually than anything else. I hated seeing them give a 5-10 yd cushion all the time but more often that not it was the design of the certain play as much as it may have been us not wanting to get burned because we were busy rushing a safety up in the box to stop the run or blitz.

I look forward to seeing what Tomlin and Lebeau come up with together and I fully expect Ike to regain his form and work opposite mcfadden in 2007.

I don't agree with the scheme being the reason TG. Our CB's played off the ball all the time. I think they were trying to keep them from getting burned while we blitzed and hopefully got pressure. What I never understood is why not hit the WR in the 1st 5 yards when blitzing? It disrupts the timing of the QB and WR and you would think make it harder for a QB to find and open guy with the blitz coming. :dunno: We also played zone a lot which sucked! How many times on 3rd and long did we not get to the QB and they would hit someone wide open for a first down? Our D is amazing when we get pressure but horrible when we don't.
I could be wrong on all this. It's just how I have looked at our D over the years.
Comments?

augustashark
01-25-2007, 02:13 AM

:lol:

Just what I expected!

DIESELMAN
01-25-2007, 03:25 AM
What I never understood is why not hit the WR in the 1st 5 yards when blitzing? Comments?

I agree on that.....make it tough for the WR's to get into their route and screw the timing routes up. If you "smack" a receiver in the mouth and get into his head he won't be worth a **** the rest of the game. He'll get frustrated which will lead to mistakes and turnovers for the defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2007, 03:53 AM
I agree on that.....make it tough for the WR's to get into their route and screw the timing routes up. If you "smack" a receiver in the mouth and get into his head he won't be worth a **** the rest of the game. He'll get frustrated which will lead to mistakes and turnovers for the defense.

The Steelers did that to the Colts in the play-offs last year.

Steelersfan
01-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Just shows you how much more they should do it.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2007, 04:24 AM

I agree.:bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
01-25-2007, 05:38 AM

Exactly:yesnod:

58Lambert
01-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Heck the way I see it is this... I don’t know why more CBs don’t do it… whether you plan on jamming the WR or not, ALWAYS line up in press coverage. First, this always takes away the QB’s option of throwing a quick out to the WR, especially on screens and short-yardage. Second, if you do jam the WR (and don’t miss), the timing pattern will be destroyed (as mentioned already). The problem with the jam is if you miss the WR and the CB has no safety help up top, you’re toast. Third, you can still line up pressed, but then right before the snap, you can drop back (if you’re too tired to jam the WR or afraid you’ll get burned). :helmet:
So, I didn't mind at all that Perry left, our secondary has been too soft and needs some fire... sorry, but they need to be more physical (except Polamalu, he's already great).

TEEMONT
01-25-2007, 03:52 PM
The Steelers did that to the Colts in the play-offs last year.

Peyton still roasted our DB's for 290, and yes I realize he WAS picked once even though it was taken back. The real reason the Colts lost was b/c they never got the running game going, b/c our Offense got up early. They had 56 yars or so, on like 12 carries. This was probably Peyton's fault though since he calls his won plays (they give him 3 plays to choose from and he picks one). The colts YPG last year was about 110 on the ground.

I never really liked DP as a coach, as a player, he was one of my favorites, but our secondary has been a weakness for too long now. With as high as a lot of us are on guys like Ike, McFadden, and even Colclough at one point, you gotta think mayeb this is a coaching problem. I'm hoping a cover 2/3-4 scheme will help us out.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Peyton still roasted our DB's for 290, and yes I realize he WAS picked once even though it was taken back. The real reason the Colts lost was b/c they never got the running game going, b/c our Offense got up early. They had 56 yars or so, on like 12 carries. This was probably Peyton's fault though since he calls his won plays (they give him 3 plays to choose from and he picks one). The colts YPG last year was about 110 on the ground.

I never really liked DP as a coach, as a player, he was one of my favorites, but our secondary has been a weakness for too long now. With as high as a lot of us are on guys like Ike, McFadden, and even Colclough at one point, you gotta think mayeb this is a coaching problem. I'm hoping a cover 2/3-4 scheme will help us out.

Remember early on in that game the Steelers DB's jammed Marvin Harrison alot and that threw the timing off between him and Peyton. Yes I know Peyton still threw for 290 yards. But when your lossing 21-3 as the Colts were at one point in that game you're going throw the ball to catch up. Most of Peyton's yards game with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter. What I'm saying the Steelers stopped jamming and didn't blitz as much until late in that game when the Colts creeped back in it.

If the Steelers defense wouldn't have called off the dogs I doubt that game would have been as close.

Prosdo
01-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Well that just sucks!

Stairwayto7
01-25-2007, 04:09 PM
The sentimental side of me says, Too Bad!

But in reality, our corners suck! We need some new blood. Maybe Mr. Lebeau knew something and thought that Cowher just kept him around?

TEEMONT
01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Remember early on in that game the Steelers DB's jammed Marvin Harrison alot and that threw the timing off between him and Peyton. Yes I know Peyton still threw for 290 yards. But when your lossing 21-3 as the Colts were at one point in that game you're going throw the ball to catch up. Most of Peyton's yards game with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter. What I'm saying the Steelers stopped jamming and didn't blitz as much until late in that game when the Colts creeped back in it.

If the Steelers defense wouldn't have called off the dogs I doubt that game would have been as close.

I personally thought our blitz did more than our DB's to throw Peyton off.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I personally thought our blitz did more than our DB's to throw Peyton off.

If you have the Super Bowl XL DVD or if you have the Colts play-off game. Watch and you will see where Tyrone Carter and Troy at times jammed Marvin Harrison early on in that game. Thats why some of Peytons passes were way off the mark early on in that game.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 06:09 PM
It was a combination of our pass rush getting there unlike in the first meeting that season, and our DB's play bump and run alot more.

I liked Perry, our entire defense played like crap most of the time, but they were great as were our DB's in 2005 when we went all the way. I think Perry is a victim of the overall poor performance of 2006 which isn't indicitive of his abilities to coach overall. He maybe got the 411 that he wouldnt be retained so he just resigned but that just my opinion.