PDA

View Full Version : Woodson questions why the Steelers hired Todd Haley

Mean Linebacker
03-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I was surfing around and found this article from Ed Bouchetter of the Post Gazette. According to a recent interview of Rod Woodson:

Former Steelers safety Rod Woodson appeared on The Rich Eisen Podcast this week which aired on NFL Network

On the relationship between Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley:

Woodson: ďItís a little interesting to see what happens because Bruce [Arians] and Ben [Roethlisberger] had a great relationship. Todd, he hasnít had a great relationship with anybody ever. It just seems like he doesnít have a great relationship with anybody that I know. ...

Iím a little confused about why they would do something like that because it seems like that goes against everything that they are in Pittsburgh in that organization Ė family, caring for each other, everything is working in one harmony and one unit. This year itís not, so itís going to be interesting to see what happens.Ē

The full article can be found on his insider blog but it's a registration only access.
https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_signup&view=register&Itemid=109

Nolrog
03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Why would they do that Rod? Simple, Arians did a poor job. He developed terrible game plans, didn't take advantage of what the defense would give him and didn't make good halftime adjustments.

Has nothing to do with how much Ben loved Arians, and if they shared warm showers into the wee hours of the morning. And in fact, perhaps that kind of relationship was detrimental, because then Arians didn't challange Ben and push him to do different things and improve his game.

Stick to defense there Roddy.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Rod, why did you leave the steelers to go to the ravens?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Rod, why did you leave the steelers to go to the ravens?

He didn't leave the Steelers....Rod was released and spent the 97 season with the 49ers..........Then Rod signed with the Ravens after spending a season in San Francisco.....

ldvious15
03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
PROLLY THE SAME REASON WHY SF HIRED YOU ROD!!! TRADER!!!!

Raleigh Steel
03-10-2012, 08:35 PM
so it that how it works now? you don't have to be a good coach just develop a good relationship with the QB.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Rod, why didn't you come back to the Steelers and try to be an assistant coach for the franchise who made you? You answer my question and then I"ll answer yours.

connecticutsteel
03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
He is probably a little hurt that they hired Carnell and not him

Ibleedblk&gld
03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
He didn't leave the Steelers....Rod was released and spent the 97 season with the 49ers..........Then Rod signed with the Ravens after spending a season in San Francisco.....

I forgot about the 97 season...

LatrobePA
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I question why "Rod" left NFLC to coach a losing team!!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2012, 01:36 AM
He's right in that this hiring goes against what they usually do with coaches. They'll normally promote from within and avoid anyone with a history of conflict with team management. It's an odd choice from that perspective, like we've all talked about but Haley's ability to coach an offense speaks for itself.

cmerrifield
03-11-2012, 09:29 AM
I still think Tomlin saw what having the QB's good friend as OC did to the offense and the potential for players to get better and decided he needed the opposite. Ed Bouchette reported and still holds that Rooney fired BA and continues to believe that. I am not sure I do, but this and the article on Hines Ward that he wrote that it wouldnt have been fair for Rooney to force another one on Tomlin, etc. Who really cares what Rod Woodson thinks? Only someone still trying to perpetuate a theory that everyone in the Steelers organization is saying is wrong.

coldrolled
03-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Haley has his hands on a SB team, he is not going to ruin his position now. If we score 30+ points in 8 games or more we are going to have a super season. We have the fire power. Haley will make this happen. The rest of this is just winter press. BA will not be missed .. that should be Eds story line, but he is a douchette.

jpele
03-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I question why "Rod" left NFLC to coach a losing team!!

Money talks. :dunno:

HUNT4SEVEN
03-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Why would they do that Rod? Simple, Arians did a poor job. He developed terrible game plans, didn't take advantage of what the defense would give him and didn't make good halftime adjustments.

Has nothing to do with how much Ben loved Arians, and if they shared warm showers into the wee hours of the morning. And in fact, perhaps that kind of relationship was detrimental, because then Arians didn't challange Ben and push him to do different things and improve his game.

Stick to defense there Roddy.

^^^^^^^^THIS... Rod just mad cause we didn't bring him in and brought Carnell Lake in, go be the Bungels D backs coach, u did a horrible job with Oaklands DB's, so i'm sure u will fit in well with the Bungels.

LatrobePA
03-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Money talks. :dunno:

Wasn't money he claimed he just wanted to try coaching.. He was making better money on TV, poor move IMO!

coldrolled
03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Why Tomlin liked Haley

Q. You said that Todd Haley impressed you in the three times you had to prepare to play against him. What was it that impressed you?

A. I thought he utilized his personnel well, he had a defined personality, and at times that personality has been different based on the strength of his teams. Obviously the brand of ball they played in Arizona with Kurt Warner was different than the brand of ball they played in Kansas City during which they led the league in rushing with a nice committee of backs. Even in 2011 when they were going through some struggles, I was impressed that they were playing without (running back) Jamaal Charles, but they had Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster and they were still right around 4.6 yards per carry. He does a nice job of finding ways to be productive and play to the strengths of his group, and at times over the course of the four or five years I’ve competed against him, those strengths have been different. That speaks to his flexibility, and that was attractive to me.

K Train
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
He is probably a little hurt that they hired Carnell and not him

so absolutely 100% accurate

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Both had credentials but Lake was in coaching at the college level and more involved still than Woodson was. I would have chosen Lake over Woodson too if it came right down to it.

harpo
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Both had credentials but Lake was in coaching at the college level and more involved still than Woodson was. I would have chosen Lake over Woodson too if it came right down to it.

I totally agree.

And I don't think Woodson's opinion had anything to do with him being upset that the Steelers choosing Carnell Lake as their DBs coach. Woodson chose to become the DB coach for the Raiders before Carnell became the DB coach in Pittsburgh, and 5 days after Ray Horton left for Arizona.

nuclearchihuahuas
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
I question the hiring of Haley only because I question Haley's sanity. The few interviews I have seen with him have led me to believe he isn't quite right regarding the state of his mental health. He is absurdly superstitious and seems to be a bit OCD. On the other hand, maybe we need a nutbar to shake things up. Any way he can't possibly be worse than Arians.