PDA

View Full Version : Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Release Rashard Mendenhall? Fanís Opinion

harpo
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I found this article on yahoo sports and thought it was interesting. I can't say that I agree with it, but i'm curious to see what you guys think....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Release Rashard Mendenhall? Fan’s Opinion
By Lee Andrew Henderson, Yahoo! Contributor Network
15 hours, 10 minutes ago

The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to make tough decisions about the players on their team. The latest casuality is James Farrior. Farrior spent 10 seasons on the Steelers and accumulated 100+ tackles six of those seasons. Farrior was a tough decision to make—as was Hines Ward before him—but there are more decisions to make. Like for example, shouldn't the Steelers also part ways with Rashard Mendendall?

Mendenhall has played well for the Steelers as the starting running back for the past three seasons and the former Illinois running back is only 24-years old. Mendenhall has rushed for 3,367 yards in three years, has scored 29 rushing touchdowns and has fumbled just six times in 813 carries. Under normal circumstances Mendenhall would be welcomed back for several seasons.

-------------------------------------------------------------

See the full story here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11063936

cmerrifield
03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I would like to see Mendy play this year. I want to see what happens with him after his recovery and hopefully upgraded offensive line. I think he is a much bigger threat out of the backfield than BA ever used him. I just want to see how Haley uses him. He is a great blocker and receiver and I dont think he gets enough credit for that.

K Train
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
absolutely not, at least not until they find a legit replacement

"and has fumbled just 6 times" for those of you who say he has fumblitis

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
OBVIOUS CHOICE IS TO RELEASE #34.......HE'S NOT A STEELERS-TYPE BACK TO ME......I'D REALLY TRY TO SIGN BEN TATE FROM THE TEXANS OR PEYTON HILLIS....MENDY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!! IJS.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
The Redman camp says just trade Mendenhall because their guy can carry the load. The Mendenhall camp says, look what he’s done so far you don’t just throw that away.

The fact is you can’t trade him right now with a bad wheel, nobody is going to give you anything for him. His total cap hit for 2012 is just over $2 million (base salary of $650,000) so the savings or dead money is not a significant amount. The issue is, how confident are you that Redman can be the long term answer? Also how confident are you in Dwyer, Clay, and Batch to be able to carry the load and step in to start should Redman go down?

I wouldn’t release him this year yet, at least not until training camp. He’s more than likely going to be on the PUP list to start the year and if he’s able to play later on he can certainly be utilized as fresh legs.

K Train
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
OBVIOUS CHOICE IS TO RELEASE #34.......HE'S NOT A STEELERS-TYPE BACK TO ME......I'D REALLY TRY TO SIGN BEN TATE FROM THE TEXANS OR PEYTON HILLIS....MENDY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!! IJS.

i am literally on the edge of my seat wondering what a "steeler type back" to you is

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
SOMEONE WHO ISN'T INJURED 2 OF 3 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE!!!

LarryNJ
03-08-2012, 09:41 AM
i am literally on the edge of my seat wondering what a "steeler type back" to you is

I'll take a Barry Sanders clone

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 09:41 AM

SOMEONE WHO ISN'T INJURED 2 OF 3 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE!!

K Train
03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
so let me get this straight, he breaks his shoulder his rookie year and blows out his knee in his 4th year at the very end....and that makes his career in between a wash? Ben Tate was on IR his rookie year and backed up arian foster this year running behind the best zone run blocking line in the league and Peyton hillis barely played at all last year and because of his injuries and contract issues has threatened retirement....so you make zero sense

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 09:44 AM

A RB WHO DOESN'T PUT THE BALL ON THE GROUND IN CLUTCH OR CRUCIAL SITUATIONS.....NEED I GO ON?

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
so let me get this straight, he breaks his shoulder his rookie year and blows out his knee in his 4th year at the very end....and that makes his career in between a wash? Ben Tate was on IR his rookie year and backed up arian foster this year running behind the best zone run blocking line in the league and Peyton hillis barely played at all last year and because of his injuries and contract issues has threatened retirement....so you make zero sense
IF YOU READ MY QUOTE...I SAID STEELER-TYPE BACKS....MENDY ISN'T NOT!

K Train
03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
ohhhhh you must be directly referring to kemoeatu knocking the ball out in the superbowl, which already accounts for 1/6 of his total fumbles.

jus to put it in perspective, adrian peterson had 21 fumbles in his first 4 years, chris johnson 10, willie parker had 17, bettis had 17 his first 4 years as a steeler.

but oh yes, mendenhall is a fumbler. hell redman had 2 in the season finale against cleveland that mendenhall got hurt in, thats already 1/3 of mendenhalls career totals

K Train
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
IF YOU READ MY QUOTE...I SAID STEELER-TYPE BACKS....MENDY ISN'T NOT!

you are making no arguement at all....if mendenhall isnt a steeler type back then wallace isnt a steeler type WR, and neither is brown. and pouncey isnt really a steeler type center. "steeler type back" is your way of saying hes not bettis.

actually based off the last 30 years before ben, id say ben isnt really a steeler type QB considering he doesnt suck

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
you are making no arguement at all....if mendenhall isnt a steeler type back then wallace isnt a steeler type WR, and neither is brown. and pouncey isnt really a steeler type center. "steeler type back" is your way of saying hes not bettis.

actually based off the last 30 years before ben, id say ben isnt really a steeler type QB considering he doesnt suck
YOU'RE MAKING GOOD POINTS.......BUT I NEVER SEE MENDY ACTUALLY RUNNING HARD....TIP-TOEING THRU THESE HOLES NOWADAYS ISN'T GONNA CONVINCE ME OR ANYONE ELSE THAT HE'S A DECENT RUNNING BACK. HE JUKES HIMSELF...NOW HE'S ON THE SHELF......BUT I GUESS THAT'S WHY YOU DISAGREE W/ ME.....REDMAN ISN'T MY TYPE OF BACK, DWYER OR BATCH....MAYBE WE SHOULD GET BARRY FOSTER BACK!!!!

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
ohhhhh you must be directly referring to kemoeatu knocking the ball out in the superbowl, which already accounts for 1/6 of his total fumbles.

jus to put it in perspective, adrian peterson had 21 fumbles in his first 4 years, chris johnson 10, willie parker had 17, bettis had 17 his first 4 years as a steeler.

but oh yes, mendenhall is a fumbler. hell redman had 2 in the season finale against cleveland that mendenhall got hurt in, thats already 1/3 of mendenhalls career totals
COOL NUMBERS.....YEAH I UNDERSTAND RB'S FUMBLE......BUT MENDY FUMBLES IN CRUCIAL SITUATIONS ALL THE TIME....DO YOU AGREE?

LarryNJ
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
...MENDY ISN'T NOT!

Double negative makes a positive... so yes Mendy is a Steeler type back.

Please take your caps lock off.

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Double negative makes a positive... so yes Mendy is a Steeler type back.

Please take your caps lock off.

My bad....but you're wrong.....it's time to move on!!

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
MAYBE WE SHOULD GET BARRY FOSTER BACK!!!!

Good lord no. When he was actually on the field he did fairly well, but talk about injury prone. Not once did he manage to start 16 games in a season.

K Train
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
YOU'RE MAKING GOOD POINTS.......BUT I NEVER SEE MENDY ACTUALLY RUNNING HARD....TIP-TOEING THRU THESE HOLES NOWADAYS ISN'T GONNA CONVINCE ME OR ANYONE ELSE THAT HE'S A DECENT RUNNING BACK. HE JUKES HIMSELF...NOW HE'S ON THE SHELF......BUT I GUESS THAT'S WHY YOU DISAGREE W/ ME.....REDMAN ISN'T MY TYPE OF BACK, DWYER OR BATCH....MAYBE WE SHOULD GET BARRY FOSTER BACK!!!!

he really has misfits blocking for him though thats what no one seems to understand, he dances sometimes sure but its not like he isnt a hard runner. Id rather him make a move than hit the hole hard and run right into a lineman or a defender that lineman is failing to block. Dont underestimate how terrible the line has been since his stint in pittsburgh started, especially the interior. The likes of mahan, hartwig, stapleton, legursky, foster, essex...none of which are remotelt serviceable interior blockers. Its not coincidence mendenhall had his best season running behind colon and flozell to the right side, colon and flozell are terrific run blockers

COOL NUMBERS.....YEAH I UNDERSTAND RB'S FUMBLE......BUT MENDY FUMBLES IN CRUCIAL SITUATIONS ALL THE TIME....DO YOU AGREE?

no i dont agree, i think once but once does not equal all the time

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Good lord no. When he was actually on the field he did fairly well, but talk about injury prone. Not once did he manage to start 16 games in a season.

much better than Mendy.....!

K Train
03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
one down year of YPC and everyone wants mendenhall out

but one down year of being old after a pretty average overall career and everyone is up in arms they let ward go. makes no sense, i dont know why i bother lol

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
one down year of YPC and everyone wants mendenhall out

but one down year of being old after a pretty average overall career and everyone is up in arms they let ward go. makes no sense, i dont know why i bother lolYOU GET CAPS FOR THIS ONE.......WARD IS DONE...C'MON 15 YEARS HE HAD A BRILLIANT CAREER BUT THE NFL IS CHANGING FROM A 15 YR CAREER TO ABOUT 8 YEARS AT THAT POSITION!!!!! TIME FOR A CHANGE!!

K Train
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
you misread me, ive never really liked ward and was thrilled when they let him go, i like it that Art II makes the tough calls. he was decent but he was an imposter of a #1 WR for all these years

what i was saying is some of the same people who want mendenhall out because he "dances" are the same people that love ward too much to see that he cant play anymore. mendenhall is 24, hes got a lot of good football ahead of him and i would really like to see him play in haleys offense (one that actually uses the RB in the pass game, one of mendenhalls beiggest assets are his catching ability but we never saw that under arians)

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
oh ok well we agree on something.....you're never the same after that injury.....we'll be taking a real chance with this softcake.....he might injure his eyelash this year!!

cmerrifield
03-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Anyone remember fast Willie Parker? He always ran hard and was a great bruising type back. Now he was a Steeler type back. He also was never injured and started every game. Also, remember when he had those backs and the average oline draft pick was 35, yeah pretty sure Mendy doesnt fit.:D

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 10:52 AM
much better than Mendy.....!

You've been sniffing glue.

Foster 1,9,15,9,10 44 games started 8.8 starts per year
Mendy 1,12,16,15 44 games started 11 starts per year

Mendy has been more consistent and has a dozen or so fewer fumbles.

K Train
03-08-2012, 10:55 AM
seriously, if mendenhall had smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, starks blocking for him he would be a world class RB. Parker looked beast and broke steeler TD records behind that line and parker couldnt follow a block to save his life and still dominated

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
You've been sniffing glue.

Foster 1,9,15,9,10 44 games started 8.8 starts per year
Mendy 1,12,16,15 44 games started 11 starts per year

Mendy has been more consistent and has a dozen or so fewer fumbles.GLUE? I'M NOT COMPARING STATS....ONLY HEART AND SKILL.....YOU MUST LIKE LOSING...I SURELY DON'T. WAKE UP.

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
seriously, if mendenhall had smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, starks blocking for him he would be a world class RB. Parker looked beast and broke steeler TD records behind that line and parker couldnt follow a block to save his life and still dominatedSpeed kills in any situation.....Willie fumbled a lot too.....but was hardly ever injured cause he ran hard!!!!!

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Anyone remember fast Willie Parker? He always ran hard and was a great bruising type back. Now he was a Steeler type back. He also was never injured and started every game. Also, remember when he had those backs and the average oline draft pick was 35, yeah pretty sure Mendy doesnt fit.:D

sent from my Evo using tapatalkThankyou for proving my point...these guys obviously don't get it!!

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
GLUE? I'M NOT COMPARING STATS....ONLY HEART AND SKILL.....YOU MUST LIKE LOSING...I SURELY DON'T. WAKE UP.

The point is you're making things up. Mendenhall has played in the same number of games in fewer years and fumbles far less than Foster. I don't like winning? How many Superbowls did the Steelers win with Foster? AFC Championship games ?

K Train
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
GLUE? I'M NOT COMPARING STATS....ONLY HEART AND SKILL.....YOU MUST LIKE LOSING...I SURELY DON'T. WAKE UP.
heart and skill? hes very skilled and i have no reason to question his heart lol

Speed kills in any situation.....Willie fumbled a lot too.....but was hardly ever injured cause he ran hard!!!!!
willie had ankle and knee problems, and was way more of a notorious fumbler and he did not run hard

Thankyou for proving my point...these guys obviously don't get it!!

im pretty sure you misread that post lol

BR7
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
wow, I don't think FWP ran hard at all. Besides a few great runs, one in XL, my memories of him are filled with his tripping behind the line and falling down more that 'he ran hard.'

and most DEFINATELY NOT a brusing type back, lmao.

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Amos zereoue is and will always be a steeler-type back with no line to block for him.....Mad heart no dancing like mendy always got the tough yards!!! Put amos in that situation against the browns past season 1 and goal from the 2 and he'd punch that in easily...Not mendy for four straight downs.....Pathetic...I hated being a steeler fan that day!!!

http://www.convertcase.net/

BR7
03-08-2012, 11:07 AM
chill out with the caps dude...

cmerrifield
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Thankyou for proving my point...these guys obviously don't get it!!

That was all sarcasm. FWP never ran hard and spent tons of time injured. He was not a "steeler type" back according to your definition. I dont need a steeler type back, I need one who can break a long run everytime he touches the ball. I love Mendy.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Amos zereoue is and will always be a steeler-type back with no line to block for him.....Mad heart no dancing like mendy always got the tough yards!!! Put amos in that situation against the browns past season 1 and goal from the 2 and he'd punch that in easily...Not mendy for four straight downs.....Pathetic...I hated being a steeler fan that day!!!

http://www.convertcase.net/

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g313/theplatypus/godzilla_facepalm_godzilla_facepalm_Facepalm_colle ction-s640x387-82177-580.jpg

ldvious15
03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
That was all sarcasm. FWP never ran hard and spent tons of time injured. He was not a "steeler type" back according to your definition. I dont need a steeler type back, I need one who can break a long run everytime he touches the ball. I love Mendy.

sent from my Evo using tapatalkWell keep on loving a guy who's average at best running the ball, pass protection, and catching the ball out of the back-field!!!! yeah he's the best rb the Steelers have...wow!!

K Train
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
amos zereoue was painfully average, if thats the mark you use to determine a steeler type back, the steelers are committed to mediocrity

K Train
03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Well keep on loving a guy who's average at best running the ball, pass protection, and catching the ball out of the back-field!!!! yeah he's the best rb the Steelers have...wow!!

mendenhall has been above average at running the ball, never got a chance to catch the ball out of the backfield, and is BY FAR the best pass blocking back on the roster since after his rookie year (when most RBs struggle to pick up blitzes)

am i talking to a wall?

JensK
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
In regards to the "running hard" running back, I never really understood it. First people badmouth him because he is injured "a lot", and then they demand him to run harder... If there ever was a counter-intuitive thing...

it is also a misconception that Mendenhall is slow. He does not have elite speed like Johnson and the like, but if I my memory serves me right he ran a 4.45 which is fast for a guy his size.

The fumbling "issues" has already been discussed plenty here.

K Train
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
hes not slow, at 225 he is easily a 4.45 guy which is tope tier speed for that size. redman and clay are slow, dwyer is slow but he has a bit of a burst that the others do not

SteelCityKid5
03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Well, from what I learned Im staying up top where I am at and not stooping down to anyones level on here.

Steeler4life
03-08-2012, 05:28 PM
To the OP,

I wouldn't but I am no wizard with the math in terms of cap numbers and stuff like that. He's only 24 and has sat behind the same line BR does. He's not a big bruising back like Steelers fans love but when he gets his spots, he delivers IMO. He has also played in the BA offensive scheme his whole career. If his lig is healthy and he has no side affects, I would rather see what Haley's scheme will do for him, maybe filter in Redman in more for the bruising style.

Nolrog
03-08-2012, 05:48 PM
SOMEONE WHO ISN'T INJURED 2 OF 3 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE!!!

Dude, why are you screaming?

Nolrog
03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Mendenhall tends to juke too much, instead of powering foward and trying to run over people. He tries to be too fine at times, and that leads him more east/west than I would prefer.

K-Train is right, he's fumbled 6 times in his career, covering 51 games and 813 carries (less than 1 fumble per 100 carries). He's also had 3 years right around 1000 yards and averages 4.1 yards per carry.

That being said, the real problem is that he blew out his ACL in January, and with a 10ish month recovery time, would put him available around about October/November. He's going to start on the PUP list, which means he misses the first 6 games. Plus, he will be a free agent after this year. So they need to decide if he's the back going forward or if they would be looking in another direction in 2013. Cutting him now would save some 2.3 million on the cap.

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Cutting him now would save some 2.3 million on the cap.

I'm pretty sure if they were to cut him now they would have to come to an injury settlement which would negate any cap savings. The prudent thing to do is hold onto him and hope that he's ready to go for game #7. If nothing else another team signs him as a free agent after the 2012 season and the Steelers would get a compensatory draft pick.

Stlrs4Life
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
absolutely not, at least not until they find a legit replacement

"and has fumbled just 6 times" for those of you who say he has fumblitis

For sure. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Nolrog
03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure if they were to cut him now they would have to come to an injury settlement which would negate any cap savings.

Based on an article I read on another site, the injruy settlements do not count against the cap.

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Based on an article I read on another site, the injruy settlements do not count against the cap.

Good thing I wasn't 100% sure. :lol:

Goodfrom55
03-08-2012, 09:17 PM
No. He is by far, the best RB on the Steelers and dare I say a top 5 RB in the AFC.

Foster
Rice
C. Johnson
F. Jackson
Mendenhall

Deviouz1
03-09-2012, 12:05 AM
No. He is by far, the best RB on the Steelers and dare I say a top 5 RB in the AFC.

Foster
Rice
C. Johnson
F. Jackson
Mendenhall

dunno man, i agree with most of that but MJD should be in there somewhere. he led the league in rushing yards, got a 4.7 YPC, and is the only back that broke the 100 ypg barrier last year.

dude gets nowhere near the credit he deserves.

harpo
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
To the OP,

I wouldn't but I am no wizard with the math in terms of cap numbers and stuff like that. He's only 24 and has sat behind the same line BR does. He's not a big bruising back like Steelers fans love but when he gets his spots, he delivers IMO. He has also played in the BA offensive scheme his whole career. If his lig is healthy and he has no side affects, I would rather see what Haley's scheme will do for him, maybe filter in Redman in more for the bruising style.

I think you and I are on the same page. If healthy, I would love to see how Haley uses him in his scheme. I'm not exactly crazy about Mendenhall but i'm willing to see if Haley (and the RB coaches) can get him to maximize his potential.

Number99
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM
MJD is by far a better running back then Mendenhall. And all this talk about a "Steeler" type RB, MJD is that type of player.
As for getting rid of Mendelhall, why get rid of the guy before he proves he can't play?

jnes1216
03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Mendenhall is a good RB. I don't see the need to get rid of him. He will come back next year some time, and we will be sick of Redman and initiating threads on his trade value. ( we can't have top tier at every position).

Stone
03-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I would like to see Mendy play this year. I want to see what happens with him after his recovery and hopefully upgraded offensive line. I think he is a much bigger threat out of the backfield than BA ever used him. I just want to see how Haley uses him. He is a great blocker and receiver and I dont think he gets enough credit for that.

This is a valid point. Although I have never been a big fan of Mendy since he can't be relied on in 3rd and short, he has played under a guy with the imagination of close steel trap.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Mendenhall will go as the offensive line goes. He can get over 1000 yds on his own, pretty much any decent back in the league can if given the carries. I want to see his ypc average go up from 3.8 in 2010 to a more consistent 4+ average. Redman has shown he can be effective behind a patchwork line in short yardage situations.

We may not get to see Rashard at his best this year at all. 9 months is the minimum recovery time and even then you aren't guaranteed to be back to your former self. Even if he is on the PUP list and doesn't play until mid-late October it's no guarantee he'll be effective.

connecticutsteel
03-09-2012, 07:47 PM

HAHAHA love it i'm trying to figure that one out! Im guessing Barry Sanders wasn't a Steelers type back cuz he was small?.at worst you put mendy on IR not cut him

Goodfrom55
03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
dunno man, i agree with most of that but MJD should be in there somewhere. he led the league in rushing yards, got a 4.7 YPC, and is the only back that broke the 100 ypg barrier last year.

dude gets nowhere near the credit he deserves.

Youo're right - I forgot about him at the time I made this list. Wish the hell the Steelers could land him.

tburg68
03-09-2012, 09:49 PM
This thread is about as stupid as it gets. Mendenhall doesn't dance anymore, or run "less hard" than Franco did. Is Franco a "Steeler runningback"? That crap came from Cowher's philosophy, and the fact that he had the Bus to carry it out.

Sad thing is that Redman will be running behind a line with a healthy Colon, and one possibly two rookie starters, that will make it a vastly improved line over the crap that Mendy had to run behind last year, making the Redman morons jump all over him even more.

Mendy is twice the back that Redman is. It doesn't matter what the idiots in this thread have said about him.

jnes1216
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
sorry t-bag i mean tburgh but "that crap" gave the Steelers
four Super Bowl Victories. And yes Mendy does dance. I have yet to see Redman fall backwards. I am one idiot who likes positive yardage as opposed to no yardage.

JensK
03-10-2012, 06:07 AM
four Super Bowl Victories. And yes Mendy does dance. I have yet to see Redman fall backwards. I am one idiot who likes positive yardage as opposed to no yardage.

That "crap" you mention did give give us 4 Superbowls.......... In the 70's. By that logic, in order to win we need our players to take more steroids, reject to follow the current rules etc. Its a different era and honestly a terrible argument. I get that people like Redman, but saying he is better than Mendenhall because he reminds more of a player who played in the league 30 years ago is just ignorant.

Nolrog
03-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Mendenhall will go as the offensive line goes.

As will Redman, Batch, Dwyer or anyone else we could bring in. Fix the OL and RB won't be as much of a problem. Just look at Denver several years ago. They had like a different running back every year and they all were highly successful because of their line.

Danger DANJ
03-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Why is everyone always so down on Mendy? Look at the line he has had to run behind for his entire career? Most of the top tier RB's in the NFL have an O-line that is way better at run blocking than the Steelers. Some even use a real blocking FB. Arians is such a moron the way he used Mendy and ran the offense. He could have got a lot more production out of Mendy, especially as a receiver. With an upgraded O-line and used properly, I see no reason why he couldn't have 1,600 all purpose yards.

tburg68
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Reading is a skill that you obviously struggle with. I was comparing Franco to Mendenhall as similar type backs. Neither was a slam the line type back that Cowher preferred. The "crap" is was reffering to is the "not a Steeler type back" that people throw out. That came about because Cowher preferred a hammer type running attack and had the perfect back in Bettis to carry out his philosophy. By that definition, Franco was no more a "Steeler type back" than Mendy.

Anyone who believes that Redman is half the back that Mendy is, is STILL stupid.

Stone
04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
This thread is about as stupid as it gets. Mendenhall doesn't dance anymore, or run "less hard" than Franco did. Is Franco a "Steeler runningback"? That crap came from Cowher's philosophy, and the fact that he had the Bus to carry it out.

Sad thing is that Redman will be running behind a line with a healthy Colon, and one possibly two rookie starters, that will make it a vastly improved line over the crap that Mendy had to run behind last year, making the Redman morons jump all over him even more.

Mendy is twice the back that Redman is. It doesn't matter what the idiots in this thread have said about him.

Not Applicable......Redman's YPC behind the same line that Mendy ran behind was better and he never had the benefit of finding his groove. Mendy simply doesn't hit the hole well and doesn't have the drive Redman does.

coldrolled
04-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Arians is such a moron the way he used Mendy and ran the offense. He could have got a lot more production out of Mendy, especially as a receiver..

I said this alot, dont get rid of our O players until BA is gone, and then we will see how they play with a new OC. I think Mendy, Sweed, Urbik, even Summers and maybe 85, Cotch non use, Grisham all have BA's stamp of screwed on them. He sucked.

Callax
04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Injuries happen... I'm sure Ray Lewis has NEVER knocked anyone out for the season before and ACL tears NEVER happen to running backs.... he's been productive relatively healthy not prone to fumbling

A KEEPER

JensK
04-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Not Applicable......Redman's YPC behind the same line that Mendy ran behind was better and he never had the benefit of finding his groove. Mendy simply doesn't hit the hole well and doesn't have the drive Redman does.

If you only run the ball 5-6 times a game against a tired defense, it is not exactly hard to get decent ypc.

steelspikes
04-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Mendy is a very good back; he runs low to the ground and he runs hard; above avg.speed & power; good hands & strives to block well in pass protect mode. He deserves to be retained based on his past performance. Whether he can fully recover is a ? Modern surgical techniques usually allow players to return to previous mode of performance.

The archetypical Steeler backs are Franco & the Bus...but they are extremely rare combinations of power, speed & agility.
You have to go with the best that's available. Mendy was a good pick and he remains one.