PDA

View Full Version : Ben on tweaking his game: I just need to stay healthy, that is it.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Ben sat down with Teresa Varley for an interview on the steelers.com

One of the topics that was discussed was the now infamous tweaking of his game. When asked about it he replied that he feels he just needs to stay healthy and stay on the field so he can help them win.

Even though he didn't really say as much I have to think they talked about things that can be done to help him stay healthy besides just him working out and staying in shape.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, it's got to include him evolving his game and being open to change as well. Change in philosophy of the offense no matter how major or minor it may be.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

K Train
03-08-2012, 12:04 AM
honestly thats all he needs to do, he was on fire last season before he got hurt

Nolrog
03-08-2012, 07:33 AM
honestly thats all he needs to do, he was on fire last season before he got hurt

Would be nice to see him throw it away once in a while instead of taking the hit, leading to a sack or even worse a fumble. There's no shame in that.

harpo
03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Would be nice to see him throw it away once in a while instead of taking the hit, leading to a sack or even worse a fumble. There's no shame in that.

IMO, I think that's exactly what he (Ben) was talking about.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
off topic, can we not mention Theresa Varley ever again? Have you ever read her articles on steelers.com? Spelling and grammatical errors left and right...Her articles frustrate me

coldrolled
03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
IMO, I think that's exactly what he (Ben) was talking about.

Talking about throwing it away is easy.. ben in the game is another story. he will hold onto it... hes a gamer.

JensK
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Talking about throwing it away is easy.. ben in the game is another story. he will hold onto it... hes a gamer.

Don't make me bust out the Tim Tebow song!

I think Ben just need to do what he does. At this point of his career we pretty much know what type of QB he is, and we also know it works. Sure, sometimes it would be nice if he threw the ball away instead of being molested by the entire d-line, but he is just not that kind of QB. When he succeeds, he is one of the best QBs in the league. When he fails and takes the sack he looks very mediocre. Ultimately, it leads to more big plays than not.

LarryNJ
03-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Ultimately, it leads to more big plays than not.

He knows that and that is why he won't change.

Raleigh Steel
03-08-2012, 02:11 PM
well, maybe, hopefully, our new offense will be predicated on him getting the ball out quicker so he doesn't have to hold on to it too long.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I can't say we'll ever see a time when Ben will completely change. I also can't imagine him actually admitting that he needs to throw the ball away more or make quicker reads. He may elude to it but he's not going to admit he needs to change his game. At least I don't think so.

I would think that if he feels all he needs to do is stay healthy then that's fine. You better take even more seriously fixing his blockers and making sure receivers hold onto the ball.

I just don't understand this logic of not using more of a passing game like we see once in a blue moon against the Patriots. Sure he'll still get sacked now and then but his chances of getting clobbered into next week are reduced.

coldrolled
03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
well, maybe, hopefully, our new offense will be predicated on him getting the ball out quicker so he doesn't have to hold on to it too long.

Maybe Haley will actually plan a few plays each game where Ben is supposed to play action - scramble and throw...

LatrobePA
03-08-2012, 03:38 PM
As long as he's not "teaking" nipples in a bar bathroom I'm fine!!

SteelCityKid5
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I think this is the most attention (voluntary, of course :blush:) Ben has ever given the media during the offseason. In two months, he shown me he's more mature or at least hes acting like it. Ben just get rid of the ball quicker, that's all I ask.

Real Deal Steel
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Contrary to what Ben said, he needs to do a lot.

He needs to learn what a timing pass play is. Something he's never done as long as he's been in Pittsburgh. I can't wait until Haley gets a hold of this guy and really sits him down and explain to him what he expects.

He will see once training camp starts, that what Haley demands is above and beyond what Arians had him doing.

Goodfrom55
03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Most looking forward to the development of the HB screen passing game - something that was non existent in Uncle Bruces offense. Other than that, be a student of the game and lead the transition from one system to the other.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
That's an area that I think both Mendenhall and Redman can both excel at. The screen play and dump off short passes in the flat can be very effective with 'backs that can make defenders miss. Mendy can do that and Redman has pretty nimble feet for a power runner.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Ahhhhhh the screen play. I have such found memories of it. Another reason why I"m looking forward to Mr. Haley's offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2012, 12:34 PM
The first time Haley calls a bubble screen I think the entire Steeler Nation will call for his head! :lol: Even worse, if Ben audibles into one!