PDA

View Full Version : Who's your starting inside linebackers for 2012 for the Steelers?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
With Farrior now gone, the inside backers will have a different look next season. We know Timmons will be out there but Who is going to be starting opposite him is anybody's guess right now.

Perhaps they take Hightower in the first round and put him in right away. Sylvester might be able to win that job and make it very interesting for whoever else they draft.

Other draft options include Bobby Wagner, Utah St. in the 2nd or 3rd round or Audie Cole, North Carolina St. in the 3rd or 4th round.

Or do they go conservative and keep Foote in there for the time being and ease in either Sylvester or a draft pick...

You can vote for more than one if you like since there are multiple good possibilities.

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 11:41 AM
TBD!! But it's looking like foote...

strummerfan
03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I would say it's Timmons and Foote unless Sylvester suddenly turns into a play maker. I just don't see a rookies starting at ILB from the outset of the season.

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't think the other linebacker is yet on the team yet. But I don't see us getting Hightower with our first round selection unless we pick up another 1st round pick from someone signing Wallace.

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I would say it's Timmons and Foote unless Sylvester suddenly turns into a play maker. I just don't see a rookies starting at ILB from the outset of the season.

Sylvester crushes people on ST

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Sylvester could start but he needs to step up now or be a career ST player.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

SteelDad
03-05-2012, 12:15 PM
This is absolutely the year for Sly to step up. I really believe he is ready for this but I've been wrong before.

MDSteel15
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Foote is going to be the starter at the beginning of the season. He is the better run stopper and knows our D- better than Sly...

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Foote is going to be the starter at the beginning of the season. He is the better run stopper and knows our D- better than Sly...

But this is where the habit of keeping old farts comes from, knowing the system. If a player shows he's a stud and lacks a little knowledge IMO you have to play him until he learns...

SteelCityKid5
03-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I really would like to see Sly get the chance to start with our defense. With that said, it's going to be Foote and Timmons.

JollyRob68
03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
It should be Sly. However If an OLB slips in the draft I can see them Taking a starting OLB and moving Harrison there for a year while a rookie ILB learns that position or Sly. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH MORRTY IVY? I LIKE HIM.

Nolrog
03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
But this is where the habit of keeping old farts comes from, knowing the system. If a player shows he's a stud and lacks a little knowledge IMO you have to play him until he learns...

But has Sylvester really demonstrated this? If he showed he was a stud, he'd be the starter, we'd have cut both Farrior and Foote (and maybe brought Foote back as a low priced back up) and we wouldn't be (rumored) looking for a MILB in the draft.

strummerfan
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
But has Sylvester really demonstrated this? If he showed he was a stud, he'd be the starter, we'd have cut both Farrior and Foote (and maybe brought Foote back as a low priced back up) and we wouldn't be (rumored) looking for a MILB in the draft.

Exactly, SS hasn't shown squat thus far.

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 04:18 PM

This is where this board is divided... We draft great players... Colbert is the best... But noone can start.... So do we really draft that great?

We drafted 22+ players in three years... Starters are - Pouncy, Brown, Wallace, Somehow Johnson, Hood...

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
This is where this board is divided... We draft great players... Colbert is the best... But noone can start.... So do we really draft that great?

We drafted 22+ players in three years... Starters are - Pouncy, Brown, Wallace, Somehow Johnson, Hood...

Exactly I never get excited with the draft because it could be 3 years before someone starts.. Question for you Sly haters, has he had a chance to start? Has he had a chance to wear the green dot?? Nope, so how in the hell do you learn??

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Exactly I never get excited with the draft because it could be 3 years before someone starts.. Question for you Sly haters, has he had a chance to start? Has he had a chance to wear the green dot?? Nope, so how in the hell do you learn??

What did Farrior do for the past couple years?? Chace people from behind, why is that fair??

strummerfan
03-05-2012, 04:33 PM

That's about about right, the majority of draft picks go on to do nothing. You also forgot Worilds, despite the claims of many his numbers are similar to Woodley's at the same juncture. Urbik is a starter as well. The Steelers gambled and lost by trying to squeeze him onto the practice squad again. In doing so I think it really hurt their plans at rebuilding the O-line. We've also got contributions from UFA's like Redman.

Nolrog
03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
What did Farrior do for the past couple years?? Chace people from behind, why is that fair??

I'm not going to tell you that Farrior wasn't done. He was, and we all know that. However, if Sylvester was any good, he'd have already taken the job from James "chase people from behind" Farrior.

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 07:19 PM
See I think Mike hates young players and Farrior was his comfort blanket that he was just able to just get by with. Had James gotten hurt and sly was plugged in I believe he would of beaten him out of the starting job..

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
That's about about right, the majority of draft picks go on to do nothing. .

So that would make the bears want to draft wallace instead of taking the chance at their number 19 WR pick.

Goodfrom55
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Sylvester crushes people on ST

That's how Harrison got started. . .Don't give Sly the position, but give him a shot to earn it.

connecticutsteel
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I absolutley believe that the only reason the kept Foote is to groom sly .Also we could see Timmons play olb and Carter move inside from time to time . If we get Hightower he will be in full rotation with sly by mid year. Who knows maybe we will sign Burfict to the practice squad.As of now he's projected to go undrafted in his interviews at the combine he blamed everyone but himself for his sub-par soph and junior seasons

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
I absolutley believe that the only reason the kept Foote is to groom sly .Also we could see Timmons play olb and Carter move inside from time to time . If we get Hightower he will be in full rotation with sly by mid year. Who knows maybe we will sign Burfict to the practice squad.As of now he's projected to go undrafted in his interviews at the combine he blamed everyone but himself for his sub-par soph and junior seasons

Bengals will get him in the second round

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Somebody will take a chance on Burfict, I just couldn't see him dropping down that far to a UDFA. To be honest if I'm sitting there at 4th round and he's available I'd think long and hard about taking him.

K Train
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
i honestly think its gonna be timmons and hightower

SteelDad
03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
i honestly think its gonna be timmons and hightower

I'm worried that if Hightower has a huge day at his Pro-Day he might elevate like Poe has.

K Train
03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
if hes at 24, i think hes the pick. i cant see him raising his stock too much higher for a MLB even though imo hes better than mcclain was

JollyRob68
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
if hes at 24, i think hes the pick. i cant see him raising his stock too much higher for a MLB even though imo hes better than mcclain was

But what if Dre is there? WHo do you take and who will they take?

K Train
03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
dre is too risky for me, we have enough CB/FSs on the roster. Jenkins would be a much better pick if hes there, dre may not be able to play corner in the pros, hes my #5 CB but my #1 S so take that for what its worth. Meanwhile jenkins is a legit #2, could have probably been #1 CB

SteelDad
03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
dre is too risky for me, we have enough CB/FSs on the roster. Jenkins would be a much better pick if hes there, dre may not be able to play corner in the pros, hes my #5 CB but my #1 S so take that for what its worth. Meanwhile jenkins is a legit #2, could have probably been #1 CB

I'd agree about Dre. I would definitely favor Hightower over him. Jenkins is an amazing talent but I can't see us picking him with his history of off-field issues.

K Train
03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
jenkins might be one of the best interviewees in the draft process, very smart, well spoken, and well mannered...seems to have been humbled about being kicked off of florida and seems to have cleaned himself up and those he hangs around (even though it was only weed, i cant say i take that too seriously) and keep in mind dre had 3/4 oz of weed on him a few months ago, but "had no idea the guy he was with was buying drugs" and the other guy took the full blame and charges...funny how that happens when dre is staring down a fat check in a few months

harpo
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I say it's Timmons and Foote to start the season. Foote made the defensive calls when Farrior was out, so it makes sense.

I'm wondering when will Timmons become the defensive caller on defense?

strummerfan
03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm wondering when will Timmons become the defensive caller on defense?

Probably sometime around the first preseason game 2012.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Guys like Poe and Hightower can improve their draft status but a lot of it depends on just how big the need is for the teams in the top 15 when it comes to guys like that. From what I've learned over the years, teams will have their draft boards set for the most part already and won't make drastic changes based on the combine or pro days. There's only so much you can take from seeing a guy in shorts and a t shirt running around. I would say that a guys stock can go down based on a bad interview or bad pro days but how much it can really improve is up for debate. The real tale is seeing these guys in game film.

The real good teams, the ones that draft well every year, know what they want and don't change their boards on one good workout.

If they want Hightower they'll find a way to get him and if he's as good as projected he won't be a backup for long.

Mean Linebacker
03-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that it's Larry Foote right now. He and Timmons should be able to handle things until Sylvester is hopefully ready. This is a big year for Sly, if he doesn't take ahold of that starting job in 2012 he may never do it.

coldrolled
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that it's Larry Foote right now. He and Timmons should be able to handle things until Sylvester is hopefully ready. This is a big year for Sly, if he doesn't take ahold of that starting job in 2012 he may never do it.

Seriously, if he cant beat foote, what good is he but ST.

CowherPower
03-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I really want to see Sly make an impact on the defense too but man it would be hard to pass on a talent like Hightower. The competition between those 2 and then throw in Larry Foote would be fun to watch in preseason. What's the probability of Foote being released and both Hightower and Sylvester being the main guys...

elephantman
03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
I dont see how anyone thinks a rookie will start...who was the last rookie to start this position for us?..so it's clearly foote and Timmons....I dont see another close possibility, at least not opening week(s) and see how it pans out

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
I dont see how anyone thinks a rookie will start...who was the last rookie to start this position for us?..so it's clearly foote and Timmons....I dont see another close possibility, at least not opening week(s) and see how it pans out

This is 55's third year coming up.. I hope hes ready now.. Hightower wouldnt start but could get into a rotation i hope.

K Train
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM

foote was marginally starter quality 5 years ago, hes passed that point now. Hightower is pretty pro ready and played in a similar system, i could see him starting 3-4 games into the year, but opening day starter isnt out of the question. I think if he plays well he would get the nod.

wed have to draft him first though lol

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
foote was marginally starter quality 5 years ago, hes passed that point now. Hightower is pretty pro ready and played in a similar system, i could see him starting 3-4 games into the year, but opening day starter isnt out of the question. I think if he plays well he would get the nod.

wed have to draft him first though lol

with one pick it is looking like Konz, Adams, Martin

K Train
03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
with one pick it is looking like Konz, Adams, Martin

i wouldnt hate adams or konz, but martin would be a head scratcher to me, i just dont really like him much at all

bigplaysteel
03-15-2012, 01:22 PM
This is a position of a lot of interest. I started a half dozen replies but keep canceling them. The last one was ----

It will probably be one of these:

Then I was going to copy paste the top 50 from the cbs.com/nfldraftscout grid. Then add the ranked ones from a couple of well known draft sites like draftcountdown or great blue north etc. But even though I really believe that I don't suppose it was necessary. Also it might be taken as sarcasm.

But the reason for that was because from a lot of the combine reviews and scouting reports there does seem to be quite a number of really good athletes there. So I figured the Steeler scouts will dig up a couple that can read plays and react.

As far as starting play 1 day 1. Maybe not. But it seems to me that the Steelers have had dozens and dozens of 1st year players that everyone knew right away in the TC were going to start. Like some posters said it is just a matter of several weeks or so before they get in.

I really think that will happen even if the player is not a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

You know, for all the static that Larry Foote gets the fact is the Steelers have not drafted [or had to] a pure ILB since he was drafted in 2002. A bushel of OLB's have been drafted the past 20 years however. [Not really sure what Timmons was drafted as] The only other guy drafted was Ryan Wallace in 2005. And even me who knows next to nothing about football could see that this was a nothing pick.

K Train
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
mike humpal was a good MLB prospect, injuries screwed him.

timmons was drafted to replace porter, not knowing harrison was going to be a monster

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Konz would start at center and be a pro bowler like Maurkice

Maurkice would be a pro bowl guard.

K Train
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Konz would start at center and be a pro bowler like Maurkice

Maurkice would be a pro bowl guard.

in a perfect world, yes that would be ideal...not sure theyd actually make that move though. konz would be a probowler at center maybe, but if he was pouncey would be HOF caliber at guard imo. dont get me wrong i love him at center and i think hes great and you cant underestimate having a great center, but hes built to take the world over at guard

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
in a perfect world, yes that would be ideal...not sure theyd actually make that move though. konz would be a probowler at center maybe, but if he was pouncey would be HOF caliber at guard imo. dont get me wrong i love him at center and i think hes great and you cant underestimate having a great center, but hes built to take the world over at guard

Great... Then legs woundnt need to be center if pouncey twists his ankle in the playoffs again.

Ravens will take Konz if we dont. grubbs is gone.

HUNT4SEVEN
03-15-2012, 06:50 PM
If we draft HighTower it's him hands down,he's the type that can step in and play right away...Or J.Worilds will move inside:stirpot::lol:

coldrolled
03-15-2012, 06:54 PM
To bad we have only one 1st round pick. And we have a 100 million dollar qb who needs to keep standing for 19 games.

Number99
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
"Amid March Madness and Crosby Comeback II it has come to my attention the Steelers' are more sold on ILB Hightower after 'Bama pro day visit"

Just tweeted by Mike Prisuta. Not like its a crystal ball reading, a tweet to keep in the back of our minds.

coldrolled
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
"Amid March Madness and Crosby Comeback II it has come to my attention the Steelers' are more sold on ILB Hightower after 'Bama pro day visit"

Just tweeted by Mike Prisuta. Not like its a crystal ball reading, a tweet to keep in the back of our minds.

He may go before 24

coldrolled
03-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Eagles signed Texans LB - That helps with kuechly or hightower seeing no. 24

connecticutsteel
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Foote is starting over sly because he is more experenced not more talented

BlitzburghRockCity
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
James Farrior (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/3435/james-farrior)'s release leaves Mike Tomlin with a simple solution. “Ideally, we would like Lawrence Timmons (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/520021/lawrence-timmons) to play his Mac linebacker position,” Tomlin said at the NFL owners meetings. “He didn't get a lot of opportunities to do that last year [due to OLB injuries]. We expect Larry Foote (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302022/larry-foote) to play and to play well.” James Farrior (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/3435/james-farrior)'s release leaves Mike Tomlin with a simple solution. “Ideally, we would like Lawrence Timmons (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/520021/lawrence-timmons) to play his Mac linebacker position,” Tomlin said at the NFL owners meetings. “He didn't get a lot of opportunities to do that last year [due to OLB injuries]. We expect Larry Foote (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302022/larry-foote) to play and to play well.”

From our friend Chuck Finder at CBS Sports
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18135833

JollyRob68
03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Morty Ivy,Hightower and if they sign RFA Larry Grant Tendered a 7th. We would have some nice competition. I'd also sign David Hawthorne from Seattle. Signing HAwthorne & Grant free's up your options on Draft day. Even if they signed both I'd take Hightower.

coldrolled
03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Wallace ben and haley will have a great one year.

But if we lose Wallace to Denver. I would love to see Konz and Hightower. Plus the Ravens cant have either.

Or Barron and Hightower. Get the guards in 2 and 3..

ChucktownSteeler
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Is it possible we sign Farrior back after the draft? I could see this playing out.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Potsie hasn't gotten any significant interest in free agency so I'd bet if the Steelers don't try to bring him back he'll probably just retire.

That being said, Colbert didn't rule it out but also made it clear that they are moving on without him. I'd say I'll be somewhat surprised if they bring him back just because they are trying to get younger at that position. So unless they don't get Hightower and have zero faith in Stevenson Sylvester, he likely doesn't return IMO.

JollyRob68
04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Sign Larry Grant RFA tendered 7th and bring in the competition. I'd still draft Hightower because he can be ILB,OLB,5TECH