PDA

View Full Version : Harrison weighs in on the "bountygate" scandal

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Never at a loss for words or the opportunity to get a quick jab in at the NFL, James Harrison tweeted out on Sunday afternoon his thoughts on the player bounty issue involving Gregg Williams...

@jharrison9292: I'll just say this, if that was me I would have been kicked out of the NFL!!!

LOL you knew he couldn't let this one go could you?

strummerfan
03-04-2012, 04:04 PM
He just posted on Facebook as well, something to the affect of we'll see how concerned the NFL is about safety when they decide on the Saints punishment.

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Harrison is right!

Rodger (Hitler) Goodall is so fixated on the Steelers that this other team has been running a crazy bounty system for YEARS and now it's just coming to light??? Good job Hitler!

Nolrog
03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm surprised the NFL didn't try to cover it up, since it wasn't the Steelers caught (I'm only partially facetious with that.) Harrison is right though. There has been an apparent anti-Steeler bias by refs and the NFL. We see it in games where our guys get hit in the head and no call, but Harrison gets suspended because he tackled a QB trying to run.

LatrobePA
03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
The commish will remember this tweet when James has a questionable hit..

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised the NFL didn't try to cover it up, since it wasn't the Steelers caught (I'm only partially facetious with that.) Harrison is right though. There has been an apparent anti-Steeler bias by refs and the NFL. We see it in games where our guys get hit in the head and no call, but Harrison gets suspended because he tackled a QB trying to run.

Exactly. Colt Mccoy was playing with the line of scrimmage and Harrison hit him like your suppose to do. Runners (all runners...even a QB that is on the line of scrimmage or past the line of scrimmage) can be hit in the fashion that Colt was hit and it is not considered a penalty. That's why when Tebow took off running in that last game against the Chiefs he was clocked just like Tebow but there was no flag because he was not a QB then but a "runner".

But the rules are always changed when it comes to the Steelers. F&ck Goodall. And the horse he rode into town on too.

coldrolled
03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Next year it will be RGIII running out of the pocket, i hope harrison can hit him or the browns will have the advantage of a running QB.

JShare86
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Harrison just needs to shut up. He's like a 6 year old when it comes to this stuff

Speeed
03-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Common' now, he did not say anything rude, pointed, or inappropriate. Put yourself in his shoes, and imaging the frustration.

Harrison just needs to shut up. He's like a 6 year old when it comes to this stuff

HUNT4SEVEN
03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Common' now, he did not say anything rude, pointed, or inappropriate. Put yourself in his shoes, and imaging the frustration.

THANK YOU:clap:And he told the truth! Greg Williams admitted it, him and Sean Payton and the GM should ALL be fired! but they will only get a slap on the wrist,i'm shocked that there is not a national outrage over this since so many ppl are quick to say ( it'a about the integrity of the game ) :evilshake:SMH at this wack hypocritical system.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
He just posted on Facebook as well, something to the affect of we'll see how concerned the NFL is about safety when they decide on the Saints punishment.

Yeah I was just reading that, and he's right. If the NFL wants to send a message like they do with Harrion's fines then they should lay the smack down on Williams and the Saints.

For the record, I love it when Harrison speaks out, he tells the truth and usually he's pretty spot on.

CowherPower
03-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm sure all the Harrison haters, which is pretty much everyone outside of the SteelerNation is throwing a fit over Harrison tweeting out about this issue. If he were on their team they wouldn't be saying a word!

Irritates the hell out of me!!!

Ok rant off, haha. He's right on, if there was even a hint that he was in a bounty he'd be booted out of the league in a hot second.

LarryNJ
03-05-2012, 12:45 AM

I agree that he just needs to shut up. Nothing good comes from it and he does sound like a 6 year old.

Suh said it much better:
"It's unfortunate to hear these things come out," "Me personally, I don't take part in those things, and knowing my teammates and knowing my coaches, we wouldn't allow that.

"I understand it's a tough situation the commissioner has to deal with," Suh added. "As he has in the past, he's going to deal with it with a stiff hand. Hopefully, people can learn from the mistakes and make an example out of it."

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Suh is full of ****.

Football is a game of hard hits and intimidation.

Defensive players WANT TO HIT YOU HARD AND POSSIBLY INJURE YOU! Sorry to dissapoint anyone who is a wush but that's what football IS! Goodall is trying to legislate violence out of a violent game!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Williams did. It has been going on since the begining of football and it will continue no matter what stupid rule Goodall tries to put in place.

Buddy Ryan back in the 80's had the same thing and everyone knew about it. It was no big deal. Remember the cornerback the Eagles had named Andre Watters?? People called him dirty waters from the hits he used to administer. It's the defense job to hit hard (legally) and intimidate!

That is what our Steelers history is all about! The hits that Blount used to make are legendary in Steeler lore.

What we are witnessing is Goodall trying to make fundamental changes to a way the game has been played for 100 years! At this rate, NONE OF US will be watching football in 10 years becuase of the pussification that Goodall and his sissies are trying to institute in the game.

Injuries are part of the game. DEAL WITH IT! There going to happen because the game is violent. And we love the game for it's violence! That is the gladiator aspect of the game that our nature likes. Weather we want to admit it or not. We like hard hits, intimidation and seeing a WR pull up on a route because he is scared. That's football! Pushing your will on another man by hard legal hits and intimidation is what football is all about.

Football is not underwater basket weaving or syncronized swimming! Leave Greg Williams alone! He's done nothing more then what's been going on in the game since it's inception. Hard hits, intimidation and high speed violence are part of the game.

LarryNJ
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Most of what you say is true Real Deal. Greg Williams didn't do anything different than what has been going on for years. It's very easy to blame the commissioner but he is nothing more than a puppet. The problem lays not with the commissioner but with the ex-players and their attorney's and the billions of dollars of lawsuits against the owners. I'm sure there is some ex player who was injured in a game against the Saints that is already in the process of filing a lawsuit against Williams, the Saints, and the NFL.

Although Suh may be full of ****, Harrison should think before he talks because it makes him look like an idiot. Everyone who follows the game knows that he has been targeted.

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Larry, here is how I would handle the lawsuits,

No one put a gun to those players head to force them to keep playing. But they did because they wanted the fame, money and accolades that go along with playing the game. As technology has gotten better, the NFL has done what is neccessary to lessen injurys. Especially concussions. But you can't take the violence out of the game. If the violence is too much for you personally, quit.

Just like Aikman did when he had concussion issues. Aikman could have quit after the first concussion if he choose, but he didn't. So that's the NFL's fault??

We live in a world were now, no one wants to take accountability of their actions. They want to blame "someone else" for things that they personally choose to do. Every player in the NFL that has been concussed, should just quit then. But don't blame the NFL for it when you don't.

They knew the game was violent when they joined the league.

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
And Harrison is venting. And I don't think I"d personally do it that way but I don't blame him for voicing his frustration.

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Harrison and an ant share brain size! Football players aren't the sharpest tools in the shed fellas, take it with a grain of salt..

LarryNJ
03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
We live in a world were now, no one wants to take accountability of their actions. They want to blame "someone else" for things that they personally choose to do.

IMHO that is the biggest problem in society. Very few people take responsibility for anything. There's a problem at work and everyone says, I didn't do it, it's not my job...ect. I'm this way because my mother did something to me 30 years ago. Give me a break..you are that way because of your actions not someone else...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2012, 06:13 PM
The league is going to come down hard on Williams and the Saints, there is no doubt about it, but I think this whole thing too is going to get blown out of proportion. Every team in the league has been looking at their games against Greg Williams lead teams and start crying foul for every hit out there. It's going to take up time and resources to investigate all these allegations that will be brought forth in addition to the ones already there.

I just think the league over reacts and is way too quick to pull the trigger in the interest of the soccer moms and dads who feel that football shouldn't be a violent game.

I'm not saying I condone incentive based play of this type but at the same time it's giving a black eye to a guy who's overall been known as a great coach. His career shouldn't be defined by this incident but it will be forever now.

Real Deal Steel
03-06-2012, 12:29 AM
I DO condon it. There legal hits. So what's the problem? Williams made bounty on players based on legal hits. This whole thing is much ado about nothing. Williams has done nothing wrong.

DIESELMAN
03-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Yes football is about hard hits and intimidation and the players get paid to do it legally on the field. I am one of the biggest fans of defenses, i would rather watch a 0-0 game in double OT with guys getting laid out play after play. I miss the "jacked up" series they use to have, I miss the NFL of the 70's where players were hitting hard with no flags. Having said that, I don't condone a coach laying $500.00 on a table and telling his defense to go out there and intentionally hurt someone bad enough to where they get put out of the game. Incentive pay such as for forced fumbles, INT's, and sacks is fine but not for putting a player out of the game intentionally.

Real Deal Steel
03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Yes football is about hard hits and intimidation and the players get paid to do it legally on the field. I am one of the biggest fans of defenses, i would rather watch a 0-0 game in double OT with guys getting laid out play after play. I miss the "jacked up" series they use to have, I miss the NFL of the 70's where players were hitting hard with no flags. Having said that, I don't condone a coach laying $500.00 on a table and telling his defense to go out there and intentionally hurt someone bad enough to where they get put out of the game. Incentive pay such as for forced fumbles, INT's, and sacks is fine but not for putting a player out of the game intentionally.

Even without the pay, their intentions are to put players out anyway. So what's the difference? You have to learn to stomach that those guys out on defense want to put you out the game! That's the way the game has always been played! Ray Lewis put that KILL SHOT hit on Mendy in his first season TO put Mendy out the game....on purpose! Did Ray have a "bounty" out on Mendy..............NO! But that's what they do anyway.

You are talking like their paid to do it illegally. They are paid to do it within the boundaries of the legal rules of the game. And weather there is a bounty or not, that's what they all want to do and will do. No defensive player just wants to make the tackle, they want to deliver a hard enough LEGAL blow that puts you out the game.

It amazes me that Steelers fans (one of the hard hittingest teams in the NFL history) has a problem with defenses wanting to deliver kill shots on offensive players. Like it's something new. This isn't Arena football! This isn't under water basket weaving! This is football. And they way it's been coached and taught since the inception is for the defense to intimidate through pain!

Do you realize how sussified you proponents of this sound to Dick Butkus? Deacon Jones? Lawrence Taylor? Do you realize how your attitude is sisifying the game up???

Let me educate you on football for the last 100 years...........ALL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS WANT TO AND TRY TO PUT YOU OUT THE GAME INTENTIONALLY!! ALL OF THEM! REGARDLESS OF SO-CALLED "BOUNTIES"

This p**sy attitude that I"m hearing from Steeler fans (who'd have thunk it?) is part of the pussification of this country the last 20 years. So much so that now you want to make football into syncronized swimming or something.

SteelDad
03-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I DO condon it. There legal hits. So what's the problem? Williams made bounty on players based on legal hits. This whole thing is much ado about nothing. Williams has done nothing wrong.

The problem is that when you encourage guys to injury in exchange for money then that leads you to hits that are no longer legal. The Saints-Vikes is the perfect example.

Real Deal Steel
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
The problem is that when you encourage guys to injury in exchange for money then that leads you to hits that are no longer legal. The Saints-Vikes is the perfect example.

No it doesn't. That's just your opinion. All those hits that Farve took were legal. Bone jarring hits, but they were legal. Even after review, no one was fined.

This isn't anything NEW! This has been going on for decades. It does NOT encourage illegal hits at all. Because the money you lose in a fine faaaaaaaaaaaar outcedes the money you could possible win in a "bounty". These guys hit hard to put you out the game REGARDLESS of bounties.

Did the 49ers have a bounty out on Eli Manning in the NFC Championship game???? No. But Manning got hit like crazy because that is what defenses do. Period. Especially in the NFC Championship game. Like the Saints/Vikings championship game.

Brett Farve and Kurt Warner got their @sses whipped that year by the Saints because the Saints were too physical for them. All those Saints hits were legal and clean because no one was fined even after the film review. They were hard, bone jarring, legal hits.

Warner is still crying about the @ss whipping the Saints gave him like a little girl because Warner got so shell shocked from those last years with the Rams when Mike Martz left him exposed with those 5 wide reciever sets he ran. Ever since then, Warner has been making up excuses for football to wussify the game so QB's can't get touched.

Forged in Steel
03-06-2012, 05:11 PM
He's right. If the Steelers did this bounty system they would be banned from the NFL with their Super Bowl titles stripped. Any other team gets a free pass. The punishment for any of the other teams would be draft picks getting taken away.

SteelDad
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Two different Saints players were fined for hits in that game.

I have absolutely no problem hitting the QB. Hitting him four steps after he has handed the ball off to a RB is bush league.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

SteelDad
03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
He's right. If the Steelers did this bounty system they would be banned from the NFL with their Super Bowl titles stripped. Any other team gets a free pass. The punishment for any of the other teams would be draft picks getting taken away.

No question there is a strong bias against the Steelers. Not my point. I'm simply saying that if an NFL player needs the extra motivation of gaining a few extra bucks for injuring a player then go to WWE.

Football is already a violent game which I realize is being eliminated. As much as I hate what Goodell is doing to eliminate that part of the game I can't approve of guys being paid chump change to purposefully injure opponents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Real Deal Steel
03-06-2012, 10:48 PM
This has been going on in every team for years. Nothing new.

coach
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM

Well, there is an ongoing investigation and this investigation will impact the Steelers. The NFL will investigate all teams with ties to Greg Williams to determine if they had bounty pools in place. Williams' old teams include the skins. While he wasn't with Pittsburgh, they wear gold and black (the same color as NO). So, there is a tie to Williams. Now the league will investigate the Steelers and draw whatever conclusions it wants to. The report will conclude that Harrison's hits are proof of a bounty program and somehow we end up getting caught up in this one too.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Listening to some player interviews from other teams recently, nearly all of them have said they've known about incentives for doing certain things but not necessarily a full on bounty on a player.

No matter what the NFL does, that part of it isn't going to stop.

Stone
03-08-2012, 02:53 PM
The sad part about bounty gate is that it's yet another indication that the NFL is a den of iniquity. If the NFL were not made up of low character people this would not happen. Harrison is the perfect example of how the game should be played.....and how it should not be played!

Like the saying on the statue of liberty, there is an inscription on the NFL shield that says:

"Give me your thieves, your thugs, your murderers, and rapists, yearning to make millions"