PDA

View Full Version : Early in season, here's my opinion....

Callax
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM
With Pitt under the cap by 10 million, here is what I think Pitt will do for the team roster:

They will resign Cotchery for 3-4 years at around 9-12 million. This gives them a solid #3 or #4 WR, in case Sanders is constantly hurt.

They will bolster their OL by signing OT Jared Gaither or OG Ben Grubbs (from Balt and pee them off) OR getting Carl Nicks of N.O. would be a dream!!
another low cost value pick might be getting Kareem McKenzie still not sold on Colon at OT, tell him he plays guard or rides the INACTIVE Bench!!!

I am torn at CB I am NOT thrilled with K Lewis as a #2 or #3, HE PLAYS OFF TOO FAR!!!! Always allowing a 10 yard cushion...
I'd love to see them sign Carlos Rogers of SF.... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

coldrolled
03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
If we keep wallace we will have to do this somehow with the OL.

Raleigh Steel
03-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I am torn at CB I am NOT thrilled with K Lewis as a #2 or #3, HE PLAYS OFF TOO FAR!!!! Always allowing a 10 yard cushion...
I'd love to see them sign Carlos Rogers of SF.... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

i think this is more of what he's told...b-fad and willie gay play the same way. i'm willing to bet that it's a lebeau thing more than a k-lew thing. i think lewis can do a fine job. he really stepped up his play this year....i see more improvement coming from him.

Nolrog
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM

He plays where the coaches tell him though. If he's too far back, the CB coach (Donnie Shell, no?) will tell him to press more.

There's not really that much money to play with yet. They are some 17.5 or so under the cap, but need 5 for draft picks plus whatever it takes to resign Wallace. The tender is about 2.5, the franchise tag is about 9.5. Figure his cost will be right in the middle (6 million.) So that's 11 million tied up, other steeler FAs to resign (plus some 20 other players needed on the roster), and only 6.5 million to do that (20 players at a 500K minimum would be 10 million right there, so we're still short around 3.5.)

There's not free money for other teams free agents just yet.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I would love to have Grubbs but if he can't come to an agreement with the Ravens he's probably asking for too much. Perhaps he gets pissed off enough that signs elsewhere for a reasonable amount but he's probably out of our price range. Assuming the restructure more deals, before or after they tender their restricted free agents which they'll almost have too I would imagine.

As far as Lewis, I think he'll be ok as the starter, the defense always has guys play off, unless your name is Ike Taylor. I want to see a free for all shoot out competition between between Lewis, Brown, and Allen for that spot.

Goodfrom55
03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
If we keep wallace we will have to do this somehow with the OL.

I have a hunch Haley's plays will not take as long to develop so Ben "should" be getting rid of the ball sooner, hence the O-line should be more effective.

Goodfrom55
03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I
As far as Lewis, I think he'll be ok as the starter, the defense always has guys play off, unless your name is Ike Taylor.

True, just wish they wouldn't be 10 yards off the WR on 3rd and 6.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2012, 05:03 PM
The Steelers won't sign Gaither, Grubbs, or Rogers.......

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I think I see people name the big name FA's every offseason they want the Steelers to go after. The Stees DO NOT go after big name FA's. If this team is going to improve, the majority of it is going to be through the draft with some minor FA acquisitions. That's pretty much how it goes around here.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
No they won't go after these types of big names but we can dream right? :lol: I wouldn't mind seeing them go out and sprinkle in a decent free agent here and there to supplement a position. Another signing like Farrior wouldn't be a bad thing. They run so close to the cap though every year it's a pipe dream to think they'll ever be a big player even if they wanted too.

greg1964
03-04-2012, 07:20 AM
No they won't go after these types of big names but we can dream right? .

Since we are dreaming, I think The Steelers should sign: Nicks and place him at LG and Grubbs, and place him at RG: Then the Steelers would have a starting lineup with:
(LT)Gilbert, (LG) Nicks, (C) Pouncey, (RG) Grubbs, and (RT) Colon
With Foster, :Leg and some rookie and main backups

coldrolled
03-04-2012, 07:53 AM
I think I see people name the big name FA's every offseason they want the Steelers to go after. The Stees DO NOT go after big name FA's. If this team is going to improve, the majority of it is going to be through the draft with some minor FA acquisitions. That's pretty much how it goes around here.

this could be a year we see a Farrior type OL player signed 28-29 yrs old. If we draft defense and keep wallace. We really have to no?

cmerrifield
03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
There is not any money to go after free agents this year other than ARE, Battle and Will Allen type players. We can all dream, but it just cannot happen.

Nolrog
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
this could be a year we see a Farrior type OL player signed 28-29 yrs old. If we draft defense and keep wallace. We really have to know?

That's really my hope. Then we'd go into the draft with only one major need (nose tackle) and it opens up all kinds of possibilities such as trading up for Poe, or drafting a stud at a position that's not a big need because he dropped to us.

coldrolled
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Is Hampton coming back? 8mil sitting there.

cmerrifield
03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Is Hampton coming back? 8mil sitting there.

Cutting him would only save around 5, but then we still have to replace him and Hoke. The cuts are done, we will draft, sign a few of our own and maybe pick up a serviceable backup in Free agency and that will be it.

coldrolled
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Cutting him would only save around 5, but then we still have to replace him and Hoke. The cuts are done, we will draft, sign a few of our own and maybe pick up a serviceable backup in Free agency and that will be it.

but we wont see hampton till november maybe. what good is that.

Nolrog
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Hampton won't be ready for the start of the season, if at all. ACLs are slow come back from. My guess is that they are hanging on to him so people will think the need isn't as great as it is, and then cut him shortly after the draft. That's a lot of money to pay for a guy that plays at most, 2 downs (and a massive savings if he's let go . . . . enough to sign a very good free agent who can step in and start.)