PDA

View Full Version : Do we need cornerbacks?

da beast 28
03-02-2012, 03:49 PM
we need cornerbacks

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Could you be any more vague? :lol:

Right now, no they don't. There is no need to go after any Cornerbacks in the draft unless you are thinking a late value pick.

They brought in Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown last year along with resigning Ike Taylor. Don't forget about Keenan Lewis who expects to compete for the starting job opposite Ike.

Even with Will Gay being a free agent there's no reason to spend any significant picks on any cornerbacks.

steelersbabex25
03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Nope.

da beast 28
03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
i know that other than ike i dont see no other good corner backs but we need lineman de

Nolrog
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
we need cornerbacks

We're much better off in the secondary than we have been for the last few years. Corner is not an area of need right now.

steelersbabex25
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
We had the number 1 pass defense last year. There are bigger fish to fry.

da beast 28
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
youre right i geuss but im not talking about cbs yet im talking about the line if we could put poe with the line we would be unstoppible

Goodfrom55
03-02-2012, 04:20 PM
It would take divine intervention for Poe to be available at the 24th pick. The Corners are surprisingly deep and I have high hopes for Allen and Brown and hope Lewis can continue improvement. Ike is Ike (he just needs to turn around in coverage and actually look for the ball), and Gay too. They're all serviceable and to this point, the least of the Steelers worries on defense.

Deviouz1
03-03-2012, 02:21 AM
wait wait wait LOL we had the #1 pass def last year because we couldnt stop the run for **** (4.0 yds per carry) so no one got pass happy on us. if we had been stopping the run in true steeler fashion i would bet money that that #1 would have turned into #20~ish. hell the BROWNS had the #2 pass def. should they be proud? what we need is one corner that is good enough to make Ike the #2 because thats what he truly is imho. one good corner and at least 1 good safety to replace clark.

oh, and if johnson hadnt gotten a hammy in that texans game i bet that #1 would have dropped a bit too. no WAY Ike could handle johnson by himself. be like a midget fighting a gorilla.

JollyRob68
03-03-2012, 02:34 AM
If Dre Kirparick is there at 24 I think they'd have a hard time by passing on him.

JollyRob68
03-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Ryan Clark is old and has a good year every other year. They said Dre is a CB/Safety in the NFL.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2012, 02:42 AM
You can never have enough corners especially in today's NFL were the passing offenses rule......Is it a top need well no but if the best available player in the first round is a corner then corner will be the pick.....But no corner isn't the biggest need........

Nolrog
03-03-2012, 06:27 AM
but if the best available player in the first round is a corner then corner will be the pick.....

Then that would be a very foolish pick, consdiering how big the other needs are. I realize that's typically the Steelers philosophy, but sometimes the needs are so glaring, they must be addressed. This is one of those years.

da beast 28
03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
wait wait wait LOL we had the #1 pass def last year because we couldnt stop the run for **** (4.0 yds per carry) so no one got pass happy on us. if we had been stopping the run in true steeler fashion i would bet money that that #1 would have turned into #20~ish. hell the BROWNS had the #2 pass def. should they be proud? what we need is one corner that is good enough to make Ike the #2 because thats what he truly is imho. one good corner and at least 1 good safety to replace clark.

oh, and if johnson hadnt gotten a hammy in that texans game i bet that #1 would have dropped a bit too. no WAY Ike could handle johnson by himself. be like a midget fighting a gorilla.

now u do know wat u talkin about we need one more good cb maybe 2 beacause one cb cant handle it all

da beast 28
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
You can never have enough corners especially in today's NFL were the passing offenses rule......Is it a top need well no but if the best available player in the first round is a corner then corner will be the pick.....But no corner isn't the biggest need........

i agree with u

coldrolled
03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Poe is now top 15 he is gone. We need NT and OL.... well now MILB

if wallace goes, we will have a chance at konz and a hightower
glenn and poe are not in our range

then a second round NT

da beast 28
03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Poe is now top 15 he is gone. We need NT and OL.... well now MILB

if wallace goes, we will have a chance at konz and a hightower
glenn and poe are not in our range
then a second round NT

we especcialy need nt and ol

steelersbabex25
03-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Couldn't stop the run for ****? We were 8th in the league in run defense. Let's not go around saying we "couldn't stop the run for ****" just because we weren't #1 in the league. Teams didn't get pass happy on us because they couldn't get pass happy on us. See: Patriots game.

da beast 28
03-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Couldn't stop the run for ****? We were 8th in the league in run defense. Let's not go around saying we "couldn't stop the run for ****" just because we weren't #1 in the league. Teams didn't get pass happy on us because they couldn't get pass happy on us. See: Patriots game.

that was luck because the patriats suckk the only thing there doing is working by a system

steelersbabex25
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
that was luck because the patriats suckk the only thing there doing is working by a system

Patriots suck? Really? Ok.

da beast 28
03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
its true they only have very few players that are good:evilshake:

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Possibly but I wouldnt say its of high value.. Id like a safety in the draft though

SteelDad
03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
This is actually a good question. My feeling is shared by some of you in that you can never have enough corners. We would be fooling ourselves to think that both Troy and Clark will remain 100% healthy all season as well.
As much as we have needs on both lines and LB I could understand it if took a corner. Not saying I'd agree with it in round 1but I certainly would understand the thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
we drafted how many cb's the last three years? we didnt get lucky yet.. the packers did with a 6th or 7th rounder - sam shields.

we will hit on a cb one day i guess.

Nolrog
03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Possibly but I wouldnt say its of high value.. Id like a safety in the draft though

I agree. We're going to need a safety soon. I'm thinking high in next year's draft, perhaps even first round, depending on how the season goes.

Nolrog
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
we drafted how many cb's the last three years? we didnt get lucky yet.. the packers did with a 6th or 7th rounder - sam shields.

we will hit on a cb one day i guess.

I wouldn't say they were all misses. There looks to be some decent talent there. The biggest problem with the secondary is that the line/LBs put no pressure on the opposing QB and when you give 8, 10 or even more seconds to throw the ball, an NFL QB is going to find someone open.

And even with the problems putting pressure on the QB, the Steelers still had the #1 passing defense in football.

Deviouz1
03-03-2012, 03:38 PM

#8 doesnt matter if youre giving up 4 yds a carry. just because we were better than most doesnt mean we were particularly good. brussel sprouts are better than yams and leeks. doesnt mean brussel sprouts are good it just means that yams and leeks are freakin disgusting. the fact is that we were unable to play the run the way the steelers are known for playing the run. merely decent teams ran all over us, TEBOW threw for 300 yards on us. that ALONE is indicative of how bad our pass defense truly was.

you can tell yourself, based on easily manipulated stats that dont take everything into account, that we had an awesome pass def, but im sorry, youre deluding yourself.

connecticutsteel
03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Yams? Leeks what are you talking about? 8th doesn't suck we gave up less than 100 per game .Dev Tebow put 300 on a lot of teams in his life.If we played TEBOW 100 times we would beat him 90 time he had a good day but more than that we had a bad day and what merely decent teams ran all over us?
4 yds a carry doesn't mean anything suppose you only run the ball once for 4 yds that's a4 yd avg <------ MEANINGLESS

Goodfrom55
03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
TEBOW threw for 300 yards on us. that ALONE is indicative of how bad our pass defense truly was.

Poor defensive game plan, way too much man coverage, no safety help whatsoever throughout the game. In a sense, Steelers played defense vs the Broncos that took away the need for Tebow to read the coverage because everything was cover 0 all day long.

Overall Pass D was excellent last year - outside of the last drive vs Baltimore.

JollyRob68
03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
We have needs but remember what we fans think about players and what The Steelers think about them are two different things. Eample Trey Essex Fans dont care for him( I DO) Steelers like him for his versatility,plus he's one of the only healthy lineman to finish the season playing every position. He deserves a shot at RT Guard atleast an honest shot. Ramon Foster same scenario fans dont(iI do) team 50/50 but he keeps getting his spot back and playing well.
We need NT,OL,ILB,CB/S DE,TE,FB & OLB.... THey way I see it we need a Dlineman who can play every spot and I'm thinking Fletcher Cox is that guy.However, If we can get luke K or Dont'a in first or Bobby Wagner in the 2nd, Audie Cole,James-michael Johnson Emauel Acho in 3rd. That would be fine as well.

Nolrog
03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Overall Pass D was excellent last year - outside of the last drive vs Baltimore.

And that was offensive pass interference anyway.

steelersbabex25
03-03-2012, 07:13 PM
you can tell yourself, based on easily manipulated stats that dont take everything into account, that we had an awesome pass def, but im sorry, youre deluding yourself.

I'm actually not though..

Goodfrom55
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
And that was offensive pass interference anyway.

Oh yeah, the pushoff. . .forgot about that.

Zachintosh66
03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
we got plenty of Cornerbacks... but the question is which one of these young guys will step up and take control?

Deviouz1
03-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Yams? Leeks what are you talking about?

im sorry that metaphors are a bit beyond you?

8th doesn't suck we gave up less than 100 per game. Tebow put 300 on a lot of teams in his life.

not in the NFL he hasnt, and he never should against even a decent pass defense. the chiefs held him to 60 yds passing. what other NFL QB has EVER been held to 60 yds only to turn around and dump 300 on "the best pass def in the league"?

as for the <100 yds per game, look at the teams that didnt run on us. seattle. wow. we stopped seattle. real badass. im stunned. AZ we stopped beanie wells. lets all pat each other on the back shall we? we stopped the pats vaunted run game. incredible.

If we played TEBOW 100 times we would beat him 90 time he had a good day but more than that we had a bad day and what merely decent teams ran all over us?

houston. 180 yards minus one of the better receivers in the game which allowed us to focus more on the run. the ratbirds for 170 yds. good rush defenses dont allow 170 or 180 yards to ANYone. period. the freakin colts almost got 100 yds on us. 97 yds to the COLTS dude. 133 to the jags, now granted MJD is a bowling ball but the jags are terribad and not only did we give up 130+ yds to a terrible team, we almost LOST to them because they were able to run successfully on us. 100+ yds to the bungles... TWICE! the chiefs put 90+ on us. 98 to the browns... THE BROWNS!?! 140+ to the rams, i like Steven Jackson but a REAL steelers defense wouldnt let the rams get 140 yds on the ground. San Fran didnt get a whole lot but they kept the chains moving with gore when it mattered.

the ONLY reason we won a lot of those games is the offense was able to outscore some pretty bad teams.

4 yds a carry doesn't mean anything suppose you only run the ball once for 4 yds that's a4 yd avg <------ MEANINGLESS

its NOT meaningless because no team only runs once. and im not saying we sucked, im saying we should have done far better and if we had played better vs the run our pass defense would have been more exposed than it was. the simple fact that most teams were able to run on us successfully, nevermind running all over us just running well enough to stay in the game keeps teams from airing it out and provides the pass def with a sort of camoflage hiding its flaws.(i know thats not spelled right but im not going to bother to look it up.)

connecticutsteel
03-04-2012, 11:49 AM
We don't need cornerbacks .We could use a couple for depth

connecticutsteel
03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
im sorry that metaphors are a bit beyond you?

not in the NFL he hasnt, and he never should against even a decent pass defense. the chiefs held him to 60 yds passing. what other NFL QB has EVER been held to 60 yds only to turn around and dump 300 on "the best pass def in the league"?

as for the <100 yds per game, look at the teams that didnt run on us. seattle. wow. we stopped seattle. real badass. im stunned. AZ we stopped beanie wells. lets all pat each other on the back shall we? we stopped the pats vaunted run game. incredible.

houston. 180 yards minus one of the better receivers in the game which allowed us to focus more on the run. the ratbirds for 170 yds. good rush defenses dont allow 170 or 180 yards to ANYone. period. the freakin colts almost got 100 yds on us. 97 yds to the COLTS dude. 133 to the jags, now granted MJD is a bowling ball but the jags are terribad and not only did we give up 130+ yds to a terrible team, we almost LOST to them because they were able to run successfully on us. 100+ yds to the bungles... TWICE! the chiefs put 90+ on us. 98 to the browns... THE BROWNS!?! 140+ to the rams, i like Steven Jackson but a REAL steelers defense wouldnt let the rams get 140 yds on the ground. San Fran didnt get a whole lot but they kept the chains moving with gore when it mattered.

the ONLY reason we won a lot of those games is the offense was able to outscore some pretty bad teams.

its NOT meaningless because no team only runs once. and im not saying we sucked, im saying we should have done far better and if we had played better vs the run our pass defense would have been more exposed than it was. the simple fact that most teams were able to run on us successfully, nevermind running all over us just running well enough to stay in the game keeps teams from airing it out and provides the pass def with a sort of camoflage hiding its flaws.(i know thats not spelled right but im not going to bother to look it up.)

THERE IS ONLY ONE STAT THAT MATTERS THE SCORE AT THE END OF THE GAME IF YOU GIVE UP 400 YDS PASSING AND 250 YDS RUSHING IN THE SUPER BOWL AND THE SCORE BOARD SAYS STEELERS 10 OTHER TEAM 9 THEN WHO GIVES ACRAP ABOUT STATS

and your kidding above me? i don't think so i get the inference and it's not a metaphor look it up

ya gotta love asteelers troll who trolls steeler boards why do you insist on berating everyone man i understand your point of view but it seems that if people disagree with you you pick a fight

Deviouz1
03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
THERE IS ONLY ONE STAT THAT MATTERS THE SCORE AT THE END OF THE GAME IF YOU GIVE UP 400 YDS PASSING AND 250 YDS RUSHING IN THE SUPER BOWL AND THE SCORE BOARD SAYS STEELERS 10 OTHER TEAM 9 THEN WHO GIVES ACRAP ABOUT STATS

then why are you people gloating about how we had "the #1 pass defense" and that we dont need to work on that area of the game?

and your kidding above me? i don't think so i get the inference and it's not a metaphor look it up

lol whatever you say brah.

Metaphor may also be used for any rhetorical figures of speech that achieve their effects via association, comparison or resemblance. In this broader sense, antithesis, hyperbole, and simile would all be considered types of metaphor.

brussel sprouts was a metaphor for the steelers, yams was a metaphor for the seachickens, and leeks was a metaphor for the colts.

make sense now?

ya gotta love asteelers troll who trolls steeler boards why do you insist on berating everyone man i understand your point of view but it seems that if people disagree with you you pick a fight

pick a fight? lol. this isnt a fight man, this is a disagreement. trust me, if i wanted to "fight" you on an internet board i wouldnt be this agreeable. im not picking a fight, im presenting an argument which you have yet to address with anything other than capital letters and "it doesnt matter as long as the scoreboard says we win". maybe to you it doesnt matter. to me it does matter. especially when folks are puffing their chests about how awesome our pass defense was while ignoring any factor other than total pass yds against us. its just not that simple.

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Could you be any more vague? :lol:

Right now, no they don't. There is no need to go after any Cornerbacks in the draft unless you are thinking a late value pick.

They brought in Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown last year along with resigning Ike Taylor. Don't forget about Keenan Lewis who expects to compete for the starting job opposite Ike.

Even with Will Gay being a free agent there's no reason to spend any significant picks on any cornerbacks.

Also, this year's draft class of cornerbacks is super weak. Weakest it's been in a long time. No sense at all using a pick above the 6th round on any cornerback.

nick5574
03-04-2012, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=Deviouz1
brussel sprouts was a metaphor for the steelers, yams was a metaphor for the seachickens, and leeks was a metaphor for the colts.

make sense now?
[/QUOTE]

In what world are brussel sprouts better than yams?? :O

Deviouz1
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Also, this year's draft class of cornerbacks is super weak. Weakest it's been in a long time. No sense at all using a pick above the 6th round on any cornerback.

now THAT could be a valid argument. im not very familiar with this draft class as of yet.

In what world are brussel sprouts better than yams?? :O

LOL

connecticutsteel
03-04-2012, 06:07 PM
WIKI ISN'T A REAL DICTIONARY! LOL

connecticutsteel
03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
LOOK TOUGH GUY I'M NOT FIGHTING OR DISAGREEING WITH YOU I COULD CARE LESS WHAT YOU SAY (BRAH)YOU JUST LIKE TO RUN PPL OVER THAT PUT UP DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN YOU THERE IS A RIGHT WAY TO DEBATE AND MAKING THE OTHER PERSON LOOK OR FEEL STUPID ISN'T IT BRAH OK BRAH GOT IT BRAH?

connecticutsteel
03-04-2012, 07:11 PM
btw my 2 cents is there are other area's of our team that are weaker stats aren't everything neither are individual games so the way the secondary played against Denver isn't an accurate gauge for how they performed this year.I think the #1 ranking on pass defense is due in large part to the offensive time of posession mixed with our schedule being full of teams with decent running games overall the #1 ranking isn't absolute but it shouldn't be disreguarded .there's my slant on our pass defense .btw we don't really need d-backs

nick5574
03-04-2012, 08:04 PM
With the way that william gay stepped up this year (in my opinion and as opposed to years past) we are ok in the defensive backfield department

SteelDad
03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Keep it real here folks. We're all on the same team....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Deviouz1
03-05-2012, 03:47 AM
WIKI ISN'T A REAL DICTIONARY! LOL

so youre saying Wikipedia is wrong? ok, i suppose thats possible. not likely, but possible.

met·a·phor
   [met-uh-fawr, -fer] Show IPA

noun [...]

[...]2.
something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

1: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them

When we resort to metaphor, a term that routinely stands for one thing or kind is made to stand for another, suitably related thing or kind instead, and this change in what the term stands for occurs on the fly, without warning and without special explanation. The effect is to transfer the term in question from its accustomed place in our verbal classificatory scheme to some other unaccustomed place for special temporary expressive purposes.

you were saying? it may not have been a particularly well phrased metaphor ill grant you.

LOOK TOUGH GUY I'M NOT FIGHTING OR DISAGREEING WITH YOU I COULD CARE LESS WHAT YOU SAY (BRAH)YOU JUST LIKE TO RUN PPL OVER THAT PUT UP DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN YOU THERE IS A RIGHT WAY TO DEBATE AND MAKING THE OTHER PERSON LOOK OR FEEL STUPID ISN'T IT BRAH OK BRAH GOT IT BRAH?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0908/caps-lock-release-the-anger-caps-lock-demotivational-poster-1249333429.jpg

had my intention been to make you feel stupid i would have gone into flame mode, and i can guarantee you that this "discussion" would be remembered as being soft and fluffy as a bunny rabbit.(ooo lookey, another metaphor :D)

btw my 2 cents is there are other area's of our team that are weaker stats aren't everything neither are individual games so the way the secondary played against Denver isn't an accurate gauge for how they performed this year.I think the #1 ranking on pass defense is due in large part to the offensive time of posession mixed with our schedule being full of teams with decent running games overall the #1 ranking isn't absolute but it shouldn't be disreguarded .there's my slant on our pass defense .btw we don't really need d-backs

YAY, an actual argument made and presented with at least an attempt to use evidence and reason to come to a conclusion as opposed to a one line "we dont need a cb" which amounts to nothing more than a baseless opinion rather than a valid argument. see? i knew you could do it. i may not agree with you, and i dont necessarily, but at least it makes sense and allows me to respect why you have the opinion you do as well as gives me another perspective to view the situation from.

dont just assume that because i disagree with someone that i am incapable of listening to and considering other points of view because that would be a mistake. if youre going to make statements without at least saying why you think im wrong or making statements without backing them up with ANYthing then i have no reason to think you even have a reason other than "steelerz rokz!1!!" fanboi-ism which really isnt a valid way to assess anything.

livingthrudying
03-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Theres a interview with Bob Labriola where he says we are gonna like Allen a lot and dont be surprised if he is a starter opposite of Ike Taylor in 2012! I do believe they have a plan. Remember we dont start rookies very often simply cause confidence and learning the system are key!. You can ruin a good player if you put them in too soon and their confidence gets blown!

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Cortez has the speed and looked good so far

BlitzburghRockCity
03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
In Tomlin's interview at the owners meetings he mentioned that he expects all 3 guys to compete for the job to start opposite Ike Taylor. He did mention that both Brown and Allen were brought in to compete for this type of situation so I'd say it's pretty much anybody's job right now.

He also didn't rule out taking a CB in the draft at some point, they are clearly keeping all their options open.