PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are currently $10-$11mil UNDER cap

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Didn't see another thread or topic but I just got this tweet this morning

@jimwexell: According to SCI capologist Ian Whetstone, Steelers about $10-11M under cap: Can afford draft picks, RFA tenders, insurance vs. offer to MW.

Now what? Decisions decisions

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Scrap big snack, resign cotchery and Wallace, address major needs in draft (I know Colbert said Casey would be back but his numbers would help us)

Thoughts?

LatrobePA
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Farrior or Foote will be next to go, this will open up a little more $. I agree Cotchery is a must but honestly don't see them going out of their way to sign Wallace...

coldrolled
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Farrior or Foote will be next to go, this will open up a little more $. I agree Cotchery is a must but honestly don't see them going out of their way to sign Wallace...

Bengals have a drug problem at WR and need WR even more now and have 2 #1 picks.

LatrobePA
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Bengals have a drug problem at WR and need WR even more now and have 2 #1 picks.

I have the same feeling....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Hampton won't be going anywhere but I could see them restructuring his deal though. The other though process is to let him finish out his contract and keep as little dead money as possible off the books; so if they can hold him on the payroll with his current cap hit he can walk away in 2013 without future cap ramifications.

They'll have the money now to match any offer Wallace gets unless it's so over the top that they know he wouldn't be worth it.

I still see Farrior or Foote being let go; they won't bring back both.

LatrobePA
03-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Is Wallace worth the kind of money he may demand? I'd say no, he wasn't all that impressive mid to late last season..

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Hampton won't be going anywhere but I could see them restructuring his deal though. The other though process is to let him finish out his contract and keep as little dead money as possible off the books; so if they can hold him on the payroll with his current cap hit he can walk away in 2013 without future cap ramifications.

They'll have the money now to match any offer Wallace gets unless it's so over the top that they know he wouldn't be worth it.

I still see Farrior or Foote being let go; they won't bring back both.

didn't farrior's agent come out and say he was being released? Stevenson Sylvester tweeted this 20 min ago

@SSylvester55: Truly honored to have played with the #Steeler Greats @mvp86hinesward
2JamesFarrior Aaron Smith and Chris Kemoeatu

EDIT: nvm, just saw your other thread on farrior that was posted after you posted in here

LatrobePA
03-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Time to step up 55!

cmerrifield
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Time to step up 55!

55 will take Timmon's spot and Timmons will move to Farrior's spot.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

jpele
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Is Wallace worth the kind of money he may demand? I'd say no, he wasn't all that impressive mid to late last season..

No he's not worth big money,I'd let him walk and take the draft pick. Everyone uses the excuse he was double teamed which is true but I see ( good recirvers) doubled every game and still make plays. Wallace offers nothing other than speed, he can't run routes he won't fight for the ball and it my be just my opinion but I think he has an ego that's going to be disruptive.

cmerrifield
03-02-2012, 12:47 PM
No he's not worth big money,I'd let him walk and take the draft pick. Everyone uses the excuse he was double teamed which is true but I see ( good recirvers) doubled every game and still make plays. Wallace offers nothing other than speed, he can't run routes he won't fight for the ball and it my be just my opinion but I think he has an ego that's going to be disruptive.

I would agree except that I think Haley will get more out of him than BA did. BA allowed him to be a one trick pony and Haley will not. If Wallace becomes a better route run and more disciplined WR, his speed will make him deadly.

LatrobePA
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
A slow Wallace is a terrible WR, let's hope he doesn't get banged up if we keep him, I.e: Willie Parker!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
55 will take Timmon's spot and Timmons will move to Farrior's spot.

That could be the case, however Foote should still be on the team and he's more than capable of calling the plays too when he fills in to spell either Sly or a draft pick. Lebeau likes Timmons' in his current spot to be able to swing out in coverage so much so him moving over is a guarantee.

coach
03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I have the same feeling....

Cinci also has cap space. So does SF. If either team front-loads a contract, I don't know if the team could match it. TBH, I kind of hope it happens and gives us the extra pick. I am not sure that having a glut of wide receivers on the market who are unrestricted is good for us in that regard. NE is lurking in the weeds too, but I think they only had about 7.5 mill to work with last week.

coldrolled
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I would agree except that I think Haley will get more out of him than BA did. BA allowed him to be a one trick pony and Haley will not. If Wallace becomes a better route run and more disciplined WR, his speed will make him deadly.

Maybe Haley has a few WR's he talks to that would fit our system, like a 6'5' WR

Real Deal Steel
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
You guys are forgetting that 5 mil has to kept aside for signing the drafted rookies. So in reality we have only 6 Mil under the cap. I'm sorry but I don't want to see Hampton anymore.

Also....unlike the past, the cuts are running super deep this year. Super deep. So I'm expecting atleast one to two good free agent signings this off-season.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Hampton won't be cut until after June 1, if he's cut at all. Colbert said he expects Hampton to be back so that tells you they are prepared to either carry his salary or restructure it. They could cut him after June 1 and push off some of that money to future years should they change their mind.

However even if they draft Poe or any other NT, I'd rather have Casey on the roster and available in October just in case things don't work out with either McLendon or the draft pick.

da beast 28
03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
hamp is well i mean a good player but he has got to old

da beast 28
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
bleed blk and gold

JollyRob68
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
hamp is well i mean a good player but he has got to old

I liked Hoke better the last 2yrs. Let Hampton go and if they have too pick up a stop gap for one year. I like mike Martin(replaces Hoke) and Fletcher Cox xan play anywhere on the line and has a high motor(they say). So COX seem's like a no brainer if he's there and Poe is not.

Nolrog
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Scrap big snack, resign cotchery and Wallace, address major needs in draft (I know Colbert said Casey would be back but his numbers would help us)

Thoughts?

That would actually free up enough money to sign one significant free agent (cutting Hampton is almost a 6 million savings.)

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
beast, if you're not going to contribute, don't post...simply posting random **** to boost your post count is frowned upon...

CowherPower
03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Post reported about beast..don't be an idiot and post nonsense just to postwhore! :evilshake:

As far as the cap goes, they did an awesome job getting it down in just a matter of weeks. I'm anxious to see how much they burn up with their restricted players.

Never underestimate the power of the great Omar Khan. When Cowher finally decides to get back into coaching, Omar will join him and we'll lose one of the best.

Nolrog
03-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Hampton won't be cut until after June 1, if he's cut at all.

Why don't you think Hampton is destined to be cut? He's a 2 down player already. He's rehabing a major knee injury that will have him unavailable for much, if not all of the season. That injury will prevent him from properly preparring for the season (something he's not too keen on anyway) and he has a massive cap savings.

It makes absolutey no sense to keep him even if they restructure. They've been doing the smart thing with everyone else, why wouldn't they do that with him?

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Why don't you think Hampton is destined to be cut? He's a 2 down player already. He's rehabing a major knee injury that will have him unavailable for much, if not all of the season. That injury will prevent him from properly preparring for the season (something he's not too keen on anyway) and he has a massive cap savings.

It makes absolutey no sense to keep him even if they restructure. They've been doing the smart thing with everyone else, why wouldn't they do that with him?

Cut Hampton - Cut Colon and make a 5 year deal with

Cardinals OT Brown likely to become free agent

By Jason La Canfora |

Published: March 4th, 2012 | Tags: Free agency, Arizona Cardinals, Levi Brown

It continues to look increasingly likely that Cardinals LT Levi Brown will become a free agent and hit the open market, according to a league source.

Brown has one year left on his deal but will count for $17 million against the Cardinals’ salary cap. Efforts to re-negotiate his contract haven’t proved fruitful, and the team would release Brown without a new deal.

Brown likely will be highly rated by other teams if he and the Cardinals don’t reach an agreement on a new deal and he becomes a free agent March 13.

Brown was the fifth overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. In five seasons, the 27-year-old has started 75 games.

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd rather take Grubbs from the Ravens.

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I'd rather take Grubbs from the Ravens.

Haley - Brown..?? connection. OT=LT ... we can draft a guard #1.

We cant draft a top OT. especially LT

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd rather take Grubbs also because it would hurt the Ravens too. It would greatly help us and hurt them. But the Brown siging would be awsome too.

We need to use free agency to help finish refurbishing the O-line.

Zachintosh66
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
would love to see Casey and Larry to restructure as well

coldrolled
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
would love to see Casey and Larry to restructure as well

When will Casey be playing again?? December Maybe...

LatrobePA
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
When will Casey be playing again?? December Maybe...

I agree, I'd pull the plug on him...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Now that they tendered about $9 million to their RFA's, the Steelers are back up against the cap with only about $1.5 million or so to spare right now.

This tells you more restructures or possibly another release is in order at some point but who's it going be? Any thoughts?

coldrolled
03-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Now that they tendered about $9 million to their RFA's, the Steelers are back up against the cap with only about $1.5 million or so to spare right now.

This tells you more restructures or possibly another release is in order at some point but who's it going be? Any thoughts?

Casey and Mendy are the IR casualties. Not much else left.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Harrison having his deal restructured would save significant money this year, that one has to be in their arsenal as a possibility yet.

coldrolled
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Harrison having his deal restructured would save significant money this year, that one has to be in their arsenal as a possibility yet.

How about a huge multi draft pick trade for Harrison. Or is he too old already? Eventually he will be watching 4 games on suspension.

coldrolled
03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Bucs, Eagles pushing for first visit by Nicks

By Jason La Canfora |

Published: March 13th, 2012 | Tags: 2012 free agency, Carl Nicks, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

As expected, Carl Nicks is getting a lot of attention now that the free-agent market has opened.

Two teams — the Buccaneers and the Eagles — are pushing to get Nicks to make a visit first, hoping he doesn’t leave without a deal. I expect Nicks to land a deal among the league’s highest-paid guards, around $8 to $9 million per season.

Nicks, a two-time All-Pro who helped the Saints win Super Bowl XLIV, has started 61 of 64 games since entering the league four seasons ago

Goodfrom55
03-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Could also hit Troy with a restructure as well.

CowherPower
03-18-2012, 01:59 PM
So now they are about what, 4-5 million under the cap and still with Harrison or Polamalu available to free up more money. I would say the front office is to be commended for the smart roster moves and contract fixes they were able to pull off. All in a day's work for the Rooney's if you ask me.