PDA

View Full Version : Big Juicy Kemoeatu now set to be released

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
It's been quite the busy day for the Steelers front office as they cuts continue now with the latest being offensive guard Chris Kemoeatu. The team continues to purge itself of salary cap money and veteran players that have been staples on the team for what seems like forever. It's a surreal time for the Steeler Nation as most of us have anticipated these types of cuts coming but it's still never easy to deal with.
Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon tweeted out this afternoon about his latest teammate and friend who will no longer be with him on the field:

@willcolon74: He's One of the tuffest S.O.B. I've ever known. This s*** really hurts. They don't make it like him anymore! #TheDarksideOftheBuiness

@willcolon74: Take nothing for granted, Ball Hard Die Young #SoleforLife68

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/blog/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gifKemoeatu's salary cap hit was just over $4.3 million and he was signed through the end of the 2013 season when he would have been an unrestricted free agent. This latest move has the Steelers cutting about $41 million in player salaries; but remember that's not all equated to actual salary cap savings. According to the Trib's Mark Kaboly via twitter . @MarkKaboly_Trib (http://www.twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib): By my math, if Smith is cut, #Steelers are $3.5 UNDER the Colbert estimate $25 over. That's including 6 RFA &3 ERFA tenders & $1.5 borrowed

Big Juicy struggled with a bothersome knee injury that limited him in training camp and preseason and then flared up again in the regular season causing him to miss 3 games. He also eventually lost his starting job due to inconsistent play and penalties; being replaced by a combination of Doug Legursky and Trai Essex most of the time. Yet another reason the Steelers line never was able to gain any continuity.

Kemo just finished up his 7th season after being drafted by the Steelers out of Utah under then head coach Bill Cowher. His play came under fire in recent years with his propensity to draw personal fouls for extra curricular activity, such as diving into piles of players after the play or losing his cool and starting a scuffle. When he was healthy and playing at a high level he was a solid guard known for being one of the best at pulling (getting out in front of the running back to block).

This latest cut would seem to signify that the Steelers are definitely going offensive line in the upcoming NFL draft next month as Kemoeatu was a starter at Guard. Even if Doug Legursky, who's rehabbing an injury himself this offseason, is ready to take over they'll need depth for the future.

CowherPower
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I liked the dude, when he wasn't diving head first into the pile or taking a swing at a defensive lineman, and when he wasn't injured. LOL

Seriously though, I agree this one tells me that they just were not content with the status quo that had been going on for years and now it's time to change.

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Legs is a nice backup but he's not a starter.

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Draft and Quality Free Agency for the OL this year..

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
@EdBouchette Chris Kemoeatu agent Ken Vierra: "I talked to him earlier today, they called him and told him they would release him." Another $3.5M lopped

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Where exactly are we now with the cap? Gotta be under a fair amount, no?

HUNT4SEVEN
03-01-2012, 08:35 PM
GOOD RIDANCE!!! i'm glad he's gone Legs should be next, we are about 9.7 million under the cap since we released Smith, Ward and Kemo

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
GOOD RIDANCE!!! i'm glad he's gone Legs should be next, we are about 9.7 million under the cap since we released Smith, Ward and Kemo

I'm pretty sure that Legs is a free agent. So there's nothing to cut. I think they should bring him back though, because he'd be cheap, he's an OK back up and he backs up Pouncey.

Is the 9.7 before or after accounting for the ~5 million needed for the draft? Either way, should be enough that we can sign at least 1 free agent. Hopefully a guard (because we need that much help on the OL.)

LatrobePA
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
One turd down keep cutting the dead weight!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Hit the road Kemo....fat stupid sloth piece of crap.........

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Pretty obvious now that the FO is going to address the O-line with atleast one of the first two picks.

I"d love to stick it to the Ravens and steal Grubb away from them. hehehe. I know I'm dreaming but just the thought of stealing a good player away from the Ravens makes me warm all over. hehehe

KoffeeHobson
03-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Juicy has to go. He can't stay healthy and he is a penalty machine. I know they say he is one of the best pulling guards in the game, but he is breaking down. Need to draft a good guard.

SnakeEyes43
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm loving the offseason cuts we are making. TBH, I was worried Tomlin was going to be a coach that kept players around because of their name or because they were vets (actually this might be the Roonies forcing the cuts, more than Tomlin acting on his own). So far so good, Farrior needs to be next.

Nolrog
03-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Pretty obvious now that the FO is going to address the O-line with atleast one of the first two picks.

From the number of cuts, I'm going to guess that they will look to sign at least one free agent, possibly OLine to help lessen the need and give more flexibility in the draft (i.e., so they can draft BPA instead of dire need.)

With regards to future cuts, I think we'll see Foote before Farrior. I think Farrior can still help, and Foote actually has a larger cap savings by a few hundred K. Maybe they'll release both and sign a decent MILB as well with the ~5.8 mil that will save them.

Lots of good moves here by Pitt. The guys they are releasing, Smith, Ward, potentially Farrior/Foote have all been great Steelers and will always be rememebred, but sometimes it's just time to move on. Looking forward to see what this will bring us in terms of players for next year.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 08:57 AM
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!

Raleigh Steel
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
happy happy, joy joy!!!!!!

steelersbabex25
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! WHO'S GOING TO SUPPLY ALL THE UNBELIEVABLY STUPID AND ILL TIMED PERSONAL FOUL PENALTIES NOW?!?!?!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
LoL, I'm going to miss the epic head first power dives into a pile of bodies after the whistle blows.

Goodfrom55
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! WHO'S GOING TO SUPPLY ALL THE UNBELIEVABLY STUPID AND ILL TIMED PERSONAL FOUL PENALTIES NOW?!?!?!

Jonathan Scott is still on the roster - somehow.