PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward thrown under the bus.

Three Four
03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Sorry, but I don't agree with how Ward was treated. The Steelers are a classy organization. They did not treat Jerome Bettis in such a way. I think the Steelers should have allowed Ward to return at reduced pay. I'm upset that the Steelers didn't even make that offer. In essence, they are judging him as a player that he can no longer contribute. I don't believe that to be the case. The Steelers should have given him at least one more year. Ward would have been a big help in developing the other receivers. Ward is a big draw for fans. Sentimentally, I think the Steelers should have given him one more year and told him that this was the last one as a Steeler.

I think at the end of the day, Ward worked himself out of a job. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Ward. That fifth receiver has to be able to contribute. I don't think Ward wanted to play special teams like Arnaz Battle did. The Steelers need to sign a rookie and begin his development. Ward was taking up space. It's going to be difficult to watch the Steelers with number 86's glowing smile.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Sooner or later they had to cut ties with him, and what if he wanted to return next year too? Do you keep bringing him back just because he's a team icon? In a perfect world with enough money to go around and ample roster space, sure! Sometimes things just don't end like you want them too. The Steelers will go on with or without Ward so they might as well find out how they will do without him now.

He's had 2-3 years to work with the young receivers now and assuming they bring Cotchery back, they'll be fine at the 4th position.

Three Four
03-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Cut ward and then pay wallace 7 million makes no sense to me.

strummerfan
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM

It makes perfect sense and there's sound reasoning behind the move.

Number99
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM

again. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ facepalm

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Sign 89 and Get another #1 pick Get younger and stronger.

MattyVfromCT
03-01-2012, 05:52 PM
i swear some people just do not think..................

Three Four
03-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Wallace has hands that remind me of Limas Sweed. (Wallace is a better player. But Ben targeted Wallace 3 times in the final drive of the Super Bowl and Wallace could not get open or catch a pass for a first down.)

I'm hoping that with his contract, Wallace proves me wrong please. I'd like that if he does that.

strummerfan
03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Wallace has hands that remind me of Limas Sweed. (Wallace is a better player. But Ben targeted Wallace 3 times in the final drive of the Super Bowl and Wallace could not get open or catch a pass for a first down.)

I'm hoping that with his contract, Wallace proves me wrong please. I'd like that if he does that.

Dude, you're barking up the wrong tree. Ward's career is all but over, while Wallace's is just beginning. The odds of Ward putting together another 1,000 yard season are poor at best while Wallace can easily do so for the next 5-6 years. Wallace doesn't have stone hands like you think, his problem is letting the ball get to his body and it's correctable. I understand you're all butt hurt over Ward's career ending mbut it shouldn't come as a surprise to you. He was riding the pine behind Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery since the 10th week of the season. At this point all 4 of them bring more to the table than HInes.

CowherPower
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
This thread is pointless! :wtf:

Hines thrown under the bus, really?????

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Wallace has hands that remind me of Limas Sweed. .

I hope the other posters will forgive my outburst.

You're officially an idiot.

strummerfan
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g313/theplatypus/double-facepalm.jpg

Number99
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I hope the other posters will forgive my outburst.

You're officially an idiot.

It had to be said

SteelCityKid5
03-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry, but I don't agree with how Ward was treated. The Steelers are a classy organization. They did not treat Jerome Bettis in such a way. I think the Steelers should have allowed Ward to return at reduced pay. I'm upset that the Steelers didn't even make that offer. In essence, they are judging him as a player that he can no longer contribute. I don't believe that to be the case (1). The Steelers should have given him at least one more year.(2) Ward would have been a big help in developing the other receivers. Ward is a big draw for fans. Sentimentally, I think the Steelers should have given him one more year and told him that this was the last one as a Steeler.

I think at the end of the day, Ward worked himself out of a job. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Ward. That fifth receiver has to be able to contribute. I don't think Ward wanted to play special teams like Arnaz Battle did. The Steelers need to sign a rookie and begin his development. Ward was taking up space (3). It's going to be difficult to watch the Steelers with number 86's glowing smile.

(1) Then what is the case?

(2) What is the point of one more year?

(3)WTF??? you just stated they should have brought him back for another year and then said he was taking up space??

I'd think before posting next time...think for a loooong time

Three Four
03-01-2012, 10:11 PM
(1) Then what is the case?

(2) What is the point of one more year?

(3)WTF??? you just stated they should have brought him back for another year and then said he was taking up space??

I'd think before posting next time...think for a loooong time

One: There are a lot of people with jersey 86 that will need to be replaced. I need to get one more year out of my jersey. I'm not alone on this.

For business reasons, the Steelers made the right decision. Even though it was cold. Sentimentally, they should have given him a second chance and let him compete in training camp. Come on, Jerry Rice played until he was 40.

Injuries happen all the time. Eli Sanders was injured half the year. Ward could have made a come back.

Finally, I'm not convinced on Wallace. Is he a Dieon Branch or a fast Troy Edwards? He has a funky running style that appears to work only going straight. He has failed to get open on shorter routes. He tends to drop the ball in traffic.

Face palm all you want. But you'll be the one face palming the tv after his drops. As I have said, I hope Wallace proves me wrong.

Goodfrom55
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Steelers cutting Ward is like the Yankees cutting Jeter. From a fan perspective it is Sacrilege.

Unfortunately in a salary cap business, you can'y pay someone who doesn't produce. Hence the ther cuts today (Smith, Kemo, possibly Farrior).

We as fans don't know what was said behind closed doors. For all we know, the Rooneys offered to let Ward have a retirement presser, and leave with some dignity, and for all we know, Hines said no because he still wants to play. IMO, I would be shocked if he is picked up by any other team. He is a great leader, great in the locker room, but no longer posesses the skillset necessary to be a solid contributor in the NFL.

Look at it this way, at least he was not singled out.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Jerry rice didn't finish his career with the niners...

LatrobePA
03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Hahahahahahaha how was he mistreated? Come on man it's time to move on!

elephantman
03-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Wallace isnt worth 7 Million.....come on, watch Larry Fitzgerald play...thats a guy worth 7 mil....wallace is good, but i'll take Brown, sanders, cotchery and a 1st round pick...with our financial issues, Wallace is one minor sprained ankle from being worthless as all he has is speed.....and I agree about that last drive in the SB?? Had we had Santnio Holmes that yr he would have made one of those 4 catches...
Wallace >fast but very soft

steelspikes
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
This thread is pointless! :wtf:

Hines thrown under the bus, really?????

Exactly. Bidness is bidness; it ain't poyssinal.

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
There is no way that the releasing of Ward was going to be to anyone's liking. You had a player who can't play anymore but insisting on staying. Couple with us being up against the cap, it wasn't going to work.

But....in these situations..90% are usually like this so I don't know what you want. A parade or something??? Get over it. It wasn't going to end well in any, way, shape or form. It is what it is.

Deviouz1
03-02-2012, 12:36 AM
as much as i loved ward i can certainly understand his release, as much as i loved smith i can understand his release, and i can do nothing but applaud loudly at the release of kemo. but im kinda with the OP on wallace. these days good WR's are a dime a dozen and can be gotten in the later rounds coupled with the fact that wallaces hands just arent all THAT good so even if he does get open AND he is able to adjust to the ball i still cringe when he reaches for it.

im far more worried about our defense than the offense, other than the OLine anyway. let wallace go for any 1st below say, 17~ish and use a couple of picks for the oline and the rest on D focusing on DBs, 1 LB, a replacement for smith, possibly another DL if the right one is available at the right time, and i say we should be golden. maybe not this year but the following year i have a very good feeling about.

connecticutsteel
03-02-2012, 01:23 AM
worst thred of this year they didn't treat Bettis like this cause the cba was different when bus played and jerome knew when it was over.trust me it's over for hines he just won't admit it and i love hines i gots mad respect for him yo. but it is time to go

Whathehadas
03-02-2012, 04:10 AM
The OP is crazy like some other Ward apologetics. The man's career was over in the burgh since early last year. Like what has been stated, do you expect him to keep playing till he is 40? Hines has always played with a chip on his shoulder as a overachiever. He wants to keep playing and will never be honest that he needs to retire until he is carried off on a cart. The Steelers had to make this decision. Even with potential HOF Jerome Bettis, he admitted in his Autobiography that the steelers were going or trying to release him in his final few years. I get the attachment to players as a fan but we all have to be honest when we know a players career is over. The day is coming for Troy, James, Lamarr, and Ben. Fans who want to cry over players being released early, will be the same ones crying when players are no longer producing.

steelersgal86
03-02-2012, 06:29 AM
I think everyone agrees Hines was a great player...we were so lucky to have him...but he is done...I was hoping he would just retire and everything would be great...but he feels he has more left in him...that is his choice...at some point he has to be let go..we have younger great talent in the WR position now...that we need to keep...Hines had time to work with them...I love Hines...in my eyes he will always be a Steeler!!! and hopefully one day we will see him back on the sidelines...:dunno: but business is business..and that is how it goes...:gs:

SnakeEyes43
03-02-2012, 06:49 AM
http://api.ning.com/files/8fP-yfvv-HULwYXx5wjfP2K-dDsb5uBthzGrHYTdmLrZW9k6GG2HwGVk6TFB1K0BV3L4siZSFF YFkm55G1JYX5C6FguMKTlH/facepalm4cr.jpg?width=500&height=432

strummerfan
03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
One: There are a lot of people with jersey 86 that will need to be replaced. I need to get one more year out of my jersey. I'm not alone on this.
:lol:

I can't believe the front office didn't put more weight on the oft overlooked plight of jersey owners.:lol:

Nolrog
03-02-2012, 08:43 AM
worst thred of this year

Quite possibly the worst non-political thread in the history of the internet.

K Train
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM

this is the ONLY thing that makes sense lol

Raleigh Steel
03-02-2012, 10:24 AM
emotion vs logic. logic should win every time. when emotion starts winning then you start missing the playoffs.

EVERYONE loved hines, very few (including himself) knows he can't play anymore. it's that simple. players can't play forever, and sometimes the best thing for them is to tell them that.

the steelers payed hines a lot of money over 14 years and he deserved every penny! but the steelers can't afford to pay him another penny to be a player on this team. sometimes life sucks, but it is what it is!

Three Four
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
emotion vs logic. logic should win every time. when emotion starts winning then you start missing the playoffs.

EVERYONE loved hines, very few (including himself) knows he can't play anymore. it's that simple. players can't play forever, and sometimes the best thing for them is to tell them that.

the steelers payed hines a lot of money over 14 years and he deserved every penny! but the steelers can't afford to pay him another penny to be a player on this team. sometimes life sucks, but it is what it is!

I keep everyone saying it is a business. The fact is that the players are a great part of a team. Imagine if U2 replaced Bono. Or if the Stones replaced Jagger. Bono and Jagger's voices aren't the same as they were 30 years ago. Yet, people pay $200 or more per ticket to go to their concerts.

Why is football any different? Too many changes to the personal and you lose the character of the team. I go to the games to watch Ward, Polamalu, Ben et al play. Get rid of the stars, and what do you got?

Ward had a bad season. He was not injured like Smith. The Steelers should have given him a chance to comeback, even in a limited role. Because there are fans that still want to see him play. We pay their salaries.

SteelCityKid5
03-02-2012, 11:22 AM

For business reasons, the Steelers made the right decision. Even though it was cold. Sentimentally, they should have given him a second chance and let him compete in training camp. Come on, Jerry Rice played until he was 40.

Injuries happen all the time. Eli Sanders was injured half the year. Ward could have made a come back.

Finally, I'm not convinced on Wallace. Is he a Dieon Branch or a fast Troy Edwards? He has a funky running style that appears to work only going straight. He has failed to get open on shorter routes. He tends to drop the ball in traffic.

Face palm all you want. But you'll be the one face palming the tv after his drops. As I have said, I hope Wallace proves me wrong.

You want to keep him because you want "one more year out of your 86 jersey"?? I dont know even where to begin on that one. Jerry Rice played till he was 40 because he is the greatest wide receiver ever, if not player (debatable) OF ALL TIME. You talk about me face-palming myself over Mike Wallace... where the hell did I even mention Mike Wallace in my last post??? You make absolutely no sense to me. Maybe you need to be told twice? Id think before posting next time..think very for a very looooong time.

JensK
03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I keep everyone saying it is a business. The fact is that the players are a great part of a team. Imagine if U2 replaced Bono. Or if the Stones replaced Jagger. Bono and Jagger's voices aren't the same as they were 30 years ago. Yet, people pay $200 or more per ticket to go to their concerts.

Why is football any different? Too many changes to the personal and you lose the character of the team. I go to the games to watch Ward, Polamalu, Ben et al play. Get rid of the stars, and what do you got?

Ward had a bad season. He was not injured like Smith. The Steelers should have given him a chance to comeback, even in a limited role. Because there are fans that still want to see him play. We pay their salaries.

I would say that 95 % of the fans come to watch the Steelers, not just a few particular players. And those 5 % would not have watched Hines play even if he would have been on the team. There were ZERO point in having him on the field at all last year and even less so this year. He brings nothing to the table which we don't have other players who can do better. We, the fans, want the Steelers to be competitive. Keeping all the old, non-productive and salary heavy personal is not going to keep them competitive for very long.

If teams were to do business in accordance with your mind-set, there would be no need to have 7 rounds in the draft anymore, cause we would watch teams with an average age over 30, which ultimately would lead to a decline in entertainment. Hardly the direction anyone would like to see this game move.

We all loved Hines and most are greatful for his services here, but it was time to go.

Raleigh Steel
03-02-2012, 11:31 AM

1) van halen replaced david lee roth and did pretty well.

2) football is different because other teams get rid of players, lose players, gain players every season. adapt or die. other teams are always trying to get better. had jack lambert never wanted to retire do you think the steelers would still be paying him to be on the roster...i know that's an extreme example but it holds. at some point, even the best are not long for the end.

3) are you a steelers fan or a hines ward fan? if the steelers go 16-0 next season will you not care because hines is no longer on the team?

hines has been and will always be one of my favorite steelers and i can see that it was time for him to...not be released...but to retire. players play until they can't or don't want to anymore. some stay at the party too long. i'd be willing to bet that IF hines signs somewhere else, that team is going to be paying a substantial amount of money on a cheerleader. the steelers have been an exceptionally successful team over the last few decades, even when they weren't "that good" in the 80s they were still a tough team to play against. they know when to keep the key players and when to let go...it sucks...but it's what made them successful.

i appreciate your loyalty to these players...i love 'em too...but you HAVE TO take emotion out of these decisions...plain and simple.

MDSteel15
03-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Wallace isnt worth 7 Million.....come on, watch Larry Fitzgerald play...thats a guy worth 7 mil....wallace is good, but i'll take Brown, sanders, cotchery and a 1st round pick...with our financial issues, Wallace is one minor sprained ankle from being worthless as all he has is speed.....and I agree about that last drive in the SB?? Had we had Santnio Holmes that yr he would have made one of those 4 catches...
Wallace >fast but very soft

Actually Fitz is worth $17mil.... so yeah Wallace is worth $7mil when it comes to this, especially if that little cry baby in Philadelphia is worth the franchise tag of $9million!!!

Danger DANJ
03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Hines is by far my favorite player, but to say he got thrown under the bus is ridiculous. I've read some comments here about Hines that I don't agree with, but anyone with sense knows it was time. I'm rather disappointed that Hines won't retire. The Steelers made sure to get him his receptions at the end of last season... proboably in the hopes that he would then retire and didn't have to play anymore to get them. I do feel like Hines could be a serviceable 3rd WR on a team with no WR depth, but why bother? He should just retire and become a coach or analyst. I'm hoping he changes his mind and maybe the Steelers sign him back for a day so he can retire as an active Steelers player. I love ya Hines, but just retire!

MDSteel15
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Actually, yes, he was injured and fought through them! Maybe he hurt himself by doing so and should have rehabbed longer so it wouldn't have come to this point...

LatrobePA
03-02-2012, 12:57 PM
IMO Hines threw all his fans under the bus when he decided to dance on DWTS, that **** was LAME!!

Three Four
03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
IMO Hines threw all his fans under the bus when he decided to dance on DWTS, that **** was LAME!!

It was lame. I was glad to see him working in the off season. I thought he would have a great year. Lynn Swan was a ballet dancer. I guess dancing is not the same anymore.

Throwing Hines under the bus is a double entendre.

steelersbabex25
03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Oy ya yoi. I have friends who are coming up to me and saying, "I can't believe the Steelers just cut Hines Ward, what a classless organization." When you're so far over the cap, how can you not cut a player that's costing you money and doesn't produce at all? The Steelers treated Hines well for many years. Now, even if he were to take a pay cut, he's too old and too slow to pay him at all. Time to move on. I have always and will always continue to wear my Ward jersey with pride, but everything good must come to an end.

MattyVfromCT
03-02-2012, 03:52 PM

WOW! REALLY!? REALLY!?!?!? REALLY!?!?!? dude, just because he isn't with the team anymore doesn't mean you can't still wear his jersey smfh. if that's the case then i guess i have to throw out more than half my collection seeing as mean joe, lambert, swann, franco, lloyd, kevin greene, bussie, peezy, etc DON'T PLAY FOR THE STEELERS ANYMORE. thank god you're not running the team. jerseys are the last thing franchise decisions should be made on.......

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
the jersey thing is stupid...of all the steelers jerseys I own (3 hines ward jerseys btw), santonio holmes is the only jersey i have of a player that didn't last on team...hines was (and always will be) a steeler his whole career up until now...you can't stop wearing the jersey of a 14 yr steeler veteran and 2 time SB champion (and SB XL MVP) simply b/c he was released...IF he does continue to play, he'll be like rod woodson, jerry rice, and the rest of the big name players who ended their long term careers (with 1 team) with another team shortly after they leave...

LevonKirkland99
03-03-2012, 12:52 AM
ok, so Hines is cut. It is what it is. the Steelers made a business decision, but don't think Wallace is gonna make you go to the playoffs this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2012, 04:59 PM
ok, so Hines is cut. It is what it is. the Steelers made a business decision, but don't think Wallace is gonna make you go to the playoffs this year.

Nobody said Wallace was the reason the Steelers are or are not going to the playoffs next year. Either somebody highjacked your account or you're posting in a really grummptastic mood. LOL

CowherPower
03-03-2012, 05:50 PM
This whole thrown under the bus thing is so ridiculous. They talked to him, they released him, he's gone. He'll always be a Steeler and always be one of the best ever, his legacy will live on no matter where he goes.

Goodfrom55
03-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I hope he doesn't get picked up by another team so like Smith, he can say he played 14 years for one organization. Let's face it, Franco went to Seattle, Webster went to Kansas City - they weren't the same; they were past their prime.

Zachintosh66
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
its a buisness... cant afford to be lovey dovey and maintain the Steelers quality football we come to know and love... this year is a perfect example of that!

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Completely ridickulous to say he was thrown under the bus. If anything he threw the STEELERS under the bus!! He forced the STEELERS hand when the writing is on the wall. 46 receptions for 381 yards,how much do you pay for that kind of production ? Well with the CBA in effect those numbers would have cost the STEELERS at least $ 900,000, min. vet salary with 14 yrs. in league. My guess is Ward wouldn't have played for this amount, I'm guessing he wants at least 1.5 million, which is more then the STEELERS can afford at this point. His pride is what is telling him he still has another year in this league. If he was loyal to the team he would have just retired.

DIESELMAN
03-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Completely ridickulous to say he was thrown under the bus. If anything he threw the STEELERS under the bus!! He forced the STEELERS hand when the writing is on the wall. 46 receptions for 381 yards,how much do you pay for that kind of production ? Well with the CBA in effect those numbers would have cost the STEELERS at least $ 900,000, min. vet salary with 14 yrs. in league. My guess is Ward wouldn't have played for this amount, I'm guessing he wants at least 1.5 million, which is more then the STEELERS can afford at this point. His pride is what is telling him he still has another year in this league. If he was loyal to the team he would have just retired.

:yellowthumb:

greg1964
03-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Hines was my favor offense player in the moden era: but I'm old enough to have said goodbuy to: the Green, Ham, Lambert, Blounts, Swann, Stallworth of the glory days.

In fact I think one of the mistakes that Steelers made was holding on some of their greats too long. So I will always have great feelings for the H. Wards, J. Farriors, A Smith, J. Bettis, J. Porters of the resent teams, Father Time is the undisputed champion of us all:

fairwell and God Bless
(as long as you sign with Baltimore)

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Close this thread.

tburg68
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Three Four = Your IQ

strummerfan
03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Close this thread.

Don't close it, there's too much comedic value.