PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith to be released.....

DIESELMAN
03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have informed defensive end Aaron Smith that he is being released, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

The 35-year-old Smith is entering the final year of his contract and was scheduled to make $2.109 million.

ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Smith is the second longtime Steelers player to be told he will be released in two days, joining receiver Hines Ward, who was told he will be cut by the team after 14 seasons in Pittsburgh.

Smith's season ended in October when he was placed on injured reserve with a neck injury. It was the third straight season that injuries have limited Smith. He played in only 11 games spanning the 2009 and 2010 seasons due to shoulder and triceps injuries and appeared in just four this season.

Smith, a 1999 fourth-round draft pick by the Steelers out of Northern Colorado, was possibly the most unheralded figure on the Steelers defenses. From 2000 to 2008, when Smith had double-digit starts, Pittsburgh ranked in the top 10 in defense all nine years including four as the top-ranked unit. During his career, Smith had at least four sacks in six seasons and is 10th on the team's all-time list with 44.

strummerfan
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Another sad but inevitable move

Goodfrom55
03-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Between Hines, Smitty, possibly Farrior, etc. it is the end of an era.

Yes it's a business, yes, it is reality, but as a fan, it is also a sad day in Steeler Nation.

Number99
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey Blitzburgh you should install a wav of "Another one bites the dust" every time someone logs on to the site. At least until the training camp.

As all good things come to an end. Goodbye Mr. Smith you will be missed. And yes Harrison92 and end of an era indeed. After this off-season I guess the "Old and Slow" comments will be a thing of the past.

connecticutsteel
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Is anyone really shocked by this?

MattyVfromCT
03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
a move that needed to be made but even still, it hurts a lot. #91 forever. once a steeler, ALWAYS a steeler

Number99
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Just saw Willie Colon tweet Kemo got released today too....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
This is so surreal right now, you lose Hines Ward and now Aaron Smith too. More could be coming but anything now is not purely cap related but rather business in the sense of preparing for the future.

You can't help but love a guy like Aaron Smith, always the professional on the field and a quiet family man off the field.

MattyVfromCT
03-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Just saw Willie Colon tweet Kemo got released today too....

that is one cut i'd throw a huge fiesta over. i can't stand kemo..........

Number99
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
that is one cut i'd throw a huge fiesta over. i can't stand kemo..........

Agreed

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Another sad but inevitable move

Well said.

CowherPower
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I agree this is a surreal feeling. As Steeler fans you just don't see massive cuts like this, but then again sooner or later the Cowher era hangovers are all going leave. From what I read about Smith he spends all of his time with this wife and kids and he speaks very highly of them. I would be shocked if he tries to play elsewhere next season.

His place in Steelers history is secure, thanks for the memories 91!

SteelCityKid5
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
This is weird for me because Im 22 and the guys who are getting cut do make it feel like the first of my generations end to an era. With that said, boo hoo for me. The Steelers are clearly doing whats right. Personally, its somewhat emotionally difficult because all they have done for me as a fan but it is definitely economically smart.

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
This team needs to set up an over 34 going away party.. congrats to all the retirees.

LatrobePA
03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
See ya AS good luck and I hope nothing but the best for him and his family!

KoffeeHobson
03-02-2012, 12:44 AM
On to the new Steelers blood. Great memories and moments with all these players. Time to reload with a new young core.

Mean Linebacker
03-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Nothing but the best for A. Smith, a true Steeler through and through. Congrats on a stellar career.
Even though he didn't finish out as strong on the field as he would have liked, our guys learned a lot from him I'm sure.

aaronsmith91
03-02-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm going to cry

Koopa
03-02-2012, 02:45 AM
why does anyone even care that he got cut? he hasn't done **** in 3 years, he's a non factor just a waste of roster space.....can't keep getting paid for what you used to bring to the team

DIESELMAN
03-02-2012, 02:58 AM
why does anyone even care that he got cut? he hasn't done **** in 3 years, he's a non factor just a waste of roster space.....can't keep getting paid for what you used to bring to the team

Because he's been a very productive player and one of the best 3-4 DE's in the NFL for most of his career. When players like Smith and Ward are released it's a natural fan reaction to be kind of sad to see them go. It is time for them to go, no question. Changing of the guard isn't always easy.....

Koopa
03-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Because he's been a very productive player and one of the best 3-4 DE's in the NFL for most of his career. When players like Smith and Ward are released it's a natural fan reaction to be kind of sad to see them go. It is time for them to go, no question. Changing of the guard isn't always easy.....

This is why I never really give a damn about players.... To me they come and go, if u don't produce now kick rocks cause ur past contributions don't mean ****..... No player is worth getting attached to cause their true loyalty is to the money not the team and I don't blame them one bit but as a fan my loyalty is to the team and I'll never really care if an all time great steelers leaves when their career is coming to an end

Raleigh Steel
03-02-2012, 11:32 AM
thank you for all that you did for this team aaron! a true football warrior...a true STEELER!

it is weird seeing these guys getting released all at once, but look at the other side...the steelers organization has done a phenomenal job at drafting and retaining their players for most if not their entire career.

Whathehadas
03-02-2012, 12:15 PM
He WAS a great player and he SHOULD have retired 2yrs ago. You listen to all his interviews and quotes from these last few years, and he pretty much says that he'll play till his body shuts down. Well if these last injuries weren't a sign for him. He and Ward could have just retired, they had ample time to do it....then there wouldn't have been a release.

JensK
03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
He WAS a great player and he SHOULD have retired 2yrs ago. You listen to all his interviews and quotes from these last few years, and he pretty much says that he'll play till his body shuts down. Well if these last injuries weren't a sign for him. He and Ward could have just retired, they had ample time to do it....then there wouldn't have been a release.

Pretty much this. If they wanted to go out in style, they should have seen to writing on the wall. Anyway, it is obviously end of en era and we might see a decline on defense for a couple of years but I have all the faith in the world that they'll come out as an improved unit.

steelersbabex25
03-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Exactly. It's not that anyone really thinks it would be a good idea to keep him. There's no point if he can't stay healthy. It's the fact that he was the most important and arguably the best player on our defense for years, and now we won't ever see him play again. It's just a sad thought.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd be curious to know what was said in the meeting and if he really felt like he could go another year. I know he said before they'd have to tell him it was time to leave but he's such a competitor I'd have to think he at least brought up the possibility of taking a pay cut to stick around.

We'll never know though because they aren't going to have a press conference, Smith wouldn't want to go out that way anyhow.

JollyRob68
03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I'd be curious to know what was said in the meeting and if he really felt like he could go another year. I know he said before they'd have to tell him it was time to leave but he's such a competitor I'd have to think he at least brought up the possibility of taking a pay cut to stick around.

We'll never know though because they aren't going to have a press conference, Smith wouldn't want to go out that way anyhow.

The problem with taking a pay cut is you take up a roster spot. Johnny Mitchell relied to heavily on the vets and doesn't get the incoming players ready fast enough(as ARTII has said). Johnny Mitchell doesn't trust new players and rookies but other teams play there rookies and have success as they gain experience.
I also dont understand why people see these cuts as a surprise. The Steelers went out of there way for Hines to get 1000 catches and he should ride off into the sunset. Aaron Smith who I love hasn't completed 3 seasons. James Farrior doesn't have it any more and they should of taught someone/anyone the buck position.The lockout didn't help.
After the draft they need to part with Hampton because he isn't worth the money he's getting.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Gerry Dulac tweeted up earlier that if Smith were to continue playing he'd most certainly end up in Arizona. I wouldn't doubt it one bit!