PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Mike Martin?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2012/03/mike_martin_on_the_huge_show_i.html

You can listen to the interview with him via the link above.

One player who helped his stock at the NFL scouting combine was Mike Martin.

The former University of Michigan defensive tackle finished in the top four at his position (http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigans-mike-martin-ranks-among-top-three-defensive-tackles-in-every-combine-event/) in every drill, including a 4.88-second 40-yard dash and a solid 36 reps on the bench press.

For Martin, the easiest part of the weekend was the drills. It was navigating through the peripheral stuff not shown on camera that made the weekend challenging.

"The toughest part was really persevering and focusing through the three days," Martin said in an interview with The Huge Show (http://thehugeshow.net/). "They really put you through a mental grind with all the meetings, physiological testing, physicals, and meeting with the team doctors."
Of all the formal interviews Martin had during the combine, one really stood out.
"The meeting I really enjoyed a lot was with the Pittsburgh Steelers and talking to coach (Mike) Tomlin. He's a great guy, and we really enjoyed our conversation."

If Martin were to be drafted by the Steelers, he would have the opportunity to share the field with another former Michigan star, LaMarr Woodley.
"That would be awesome," Martin said. "We actually see each other on a daily basis. He works out at the same training facility. He put in a good word with coach Tomlin for me, and told those guys that I'm ready to play."

As for his alma mater, Martin echoed former teammate Junior Hemingway's prediction (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/ex-michigan_wr_explains_why_wo.html) for the Wolverines' season-opening game against Alabama, the defending national champion.

"I say Michigan goes down there, takes care of business, and leaves Dallas with a 'W' after the first game of the season," Martin said.
Martin thinks the difference in the game will be intangibles.

"Both teams obviously have great players, great talent, but the thing that's going to separate a Brady Hoke team is the toughness and how hard those guys are going to play. They're there for 60 minutes, or more if need be. The mental focus that those guys are going to have is what's going to get them over the top."

JollyRob68
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I'd love to have him as a replacement for Chris Hoke. However, he wont be there when we select in the 2nd.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Would you considering giving up maybe a 4th rounder or a 3rd rounder next season to move up and get him? I'd consider that for next season but I don't think I'd want to give up anything else this year.

JollyRob68
03-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Would you considering giving up maybe a 4th rounder or a 3rd rounder next season to move up and get him? I'd consider that for next season but I don't think I'd want to give up anything else this year.

Next season yes. This is why I thought The Steelers would keep Chris K until after the draft and use him as bait to move up. SOme new mocks have him still on board. Who do you take Ta Amu or Martin? I think if you take martin then in the later rounds can pick up Akiem Hick to develop or Andrew Iupati.

strummerfan
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Next season yes. This is why I thought The Steelers would keep Chris K until after the draft and use him as bait to move up. SOme new mocks have him still on board. Who do you take Ta Amu or Martin? I think if you take martin then in the later rounds can pick up Akiem Hick to develop or Andrew Iupati.

There's always the possibility of bringing Kemo back for the vet minimum. Although, if they're looking at free agents I would hope they would grab someone with a little more talent.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't EVER want to see kemo in black and gold EVER again..

JollyRob68
03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
There's always the possibility of bringing Kemo back for the vet minimum. Although, if they're looking at free agents I would hope they would grab someone with a little more talent.

Would you Cut HAmpton to save money and go after Grubbs,Nicks or Gaither

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Nah they won't cut Hampton, and if they were going to they'd likely wait till June 1 so his leftover salary wouldn't count on this years cap as much. I would say that I would love to have Nicks though!

If we can't have Poe, and it's likely we won't have a chance then I'd be stoked to get Adams.

JollyRob68
03-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I have a feeling that Jonathan Martin is going to fall because he's seen as a finesse tackle and I think LSU Michael Brockers will fall.
Would you take J. MArtin in the first? I'm thinking if Fletcher Cox or Stills are there and Hightower,Poe,Glenn aren't then they would be the pick.

coldrolled
03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Would you Cut HAmpton to save money and go after Grubbs,Nicks or Gaither

If Woods or someone can show up at NT it would be a great thing, casey is going to be out a long time and last how long again.

This is why Wallace is gone if someone offers on him. we need the money, the picks and hamptons 5mil....

Then we can fix our glaring weak spots this year..

JollyRob68
03-05-2012, 01:40 AM
They should try to get Ron Brace from The Pats for a 6st or 5th.