PDA

View Full Version : No franchise tag for Wallace, just first round tender says Schefter

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM
The Steelers plan to place a first-round tender -- and not the franchise tag -- on restricted free agent Mike Wallace, a source close to the wide receiver told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. By doing so, the Steelers leave themselves vulnerable to a team prying one of the game's best deep threats away. A team could front-load a contract offer, something the salary-cap strapped Steelers could have trouble matching, to Wallace and acquire him by giving a first-round pick as compensation.

Now as we know, Colbert said at the combine and before that they could still franchise him if they want. Perhaps they still will but I think they have enough indications that teams aren't going to go after him with big money now that they'll be ok. Plus they'll still get the right of first refusal.

K Train
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
all for it

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Just posted up an article on the homepage, no reason to franchise Wallace right now. There's too many other more accomplished receivers out there as free agents that will garner more interest than he will. the Steelers shouldn't have a problem keeping him.

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Here's a hypothetical point,

If your the Rams, and after you get the boat load of picks from the Redskins or Browns, and you need a wide receiver, Wouldn't the Rams be smarter to give the Steelers that first round pick (pick # 6 oveall) for Wallace (known commodity) then to use it to draft Blackmon?

Speeed
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
I am just hoping Haley finds away to use him for productively than Arians did (if we can manage to keep him). Maybe Haley does not want him? I bet he has some input, no?

K Train
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM

If your the Rams, and after you get the boat load of picks from the Redskins or Browns, and you need a wide receiver, Wouldn't the Rams be smarter to give the Steelers that first round pick (pick # 6 oveall) for Wallace (known commodity) then to use it to draft Blackmon?

yeah they would, especially since they want to stretch the field a bit more...blackmon isnt really a down field type. and for 6th overall id do it in a HEARTBEAT. 6 and 24 could land us decastro and glenn. our line would go from dismal to HOF quality

K Train
03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I am just hoping Haley finds away to use him for productively than Arians did (if we can manage to keep him). Maybe Haley does not want him? I bet he has some input, no?

i promise haley wont say WR screen, Wr, screen, reverse, end around, hey go deep

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM

The Bears are going to get a WR in the first. It wont be Blackmon. So Wallace should look better. They are #19 i think.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
If the Steelers somehow, some way ended up sitting in the top 10 after giving up Wallace I'd be doing a happy dance all day long. They'd have the pick of just about any player they could ask for; Poe, Hightower, any offensive lineman other than Kalil.

LatrobePA
03-01-2012, 03:40 PM
I see Wallace gone, someone will snag him...

Goodfrom55
03-01-2012, 04:12 PM
If he defuncts, I hope it is to the NFC. I have faith the Steelers know what they're doing here.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
With all this money they are freeing up releasing Smith, Ward, and now Kemo it would seem they are working to get Wallace signed long term before he hits the market or shortly thereafter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a deal in place now and they are just going about their business freeing up enough money to make it happen.

coach
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I see Wallace gone, someone will snag him...

You might like this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1088206-nfl-rumors-2012-teams-that-need-to-go-after-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace