PDA

View Full Version : Who takes over as the 4th and 5th WR for the Steelers now?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Who takes over as the 4th and 5th WR for the Steelers now?

Now that Hines has been released and Jerricho Cotchery is a free agent, who takes over behind Wallace, Brown, and Sanders?

Suddenly, while the starters are intact (assuming Wallace is resigned), there are question marks as to who do you bring in behind them?

My first guess is to do whatever is necessary to bring back Jerricho Cotchery. He's your 4th guy no question, and I'm sure Haley will design some packages to get him on the field more.

Currently on the roster now besides the starters.

Beiler, Tyler - Bridgewater
Gilreath, David - Wisconsin
Stewart, Juamorris - Southern
Williams, Derrick - Penn State
Young, Jimmy - Texas Christian

Drafting a receiver in the mid to late round is no guarantee, even with the recent success of Antonio Brown. Do you take a chance with a draft pick? I think you almost have too but how high do you go with that pick?

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
It really isn't a huge concern. Try to bring back Cotchery and look for another guy in the 5th-ish round. Focus on boosting the OL to give Ben time and the guys we have will be just fine (don't forget Heath as a primary target, and the RB as well.)

Even without them, we've got a pretty good receiving corps.

Now, if they let Wallace go, then WR becomes an area of need (even if they do bring back Cotchery), and moves up on the need list dramatically.

tat2
03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
what about this very possible scenario.
unable to resign wallace and cotchery
sanders gets hurt AGAIN
1. brown
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
This isn't worthy of a thread at all. Everyone knows that Cotchery IS coming back. Cotchery said it at the end of last year that he wanted to come back. I'm sure that in the 5th or later rounds, we'll find a big body WR to compliment the speed guys that we have.

cmerrifield
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Cotchery has said he wants to stay, Plaxico could be an option as well.

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Plaxico could be a weapon for us in the red zone. Because he could command a double team down their and that opens up Miller or even Dwyer out of the backfield to even catch the ball.

Now I don't think Plaxico will be back but if he did, I'm just throwing it out there.

K Train
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
i like cotchery more than sanders personally.

i think they will take a WR in the mid rounds, or higher if wallace gets picked up for a first

mcfly06
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Ward why not bring him back with a different deal? i heard John Clayton last night saying that could happen

connecticutsteel
03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Ward may come back like starks did just like bluto said was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor hell no it ain't over now!

K Train
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
bringing ward back is a step in the wrong direction

strummerfan
03-01-2012, 11:47 AM
what about this very possible scenario.
unable to resign wallace and cotchery
sanders gets hurt AGAIN
1. brown
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Talk about the glass being half empty

JollyRob68
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I wish the Steelers would of been able to keep Tyler Grisham. He was a Wes Welker/Hines Ward esq type player. I'm sure he didn't want to wait to see what was going on with Hines.

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 03:29 PM
We need a 6' 5" WR in the 5th round.

cmerrifield
03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Ward may come back like starks did just like bluto said was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor hell no it ain't over now!

If they were interested at all in Ward, they would have offered him a paycut like he was begging for. The fat lady has sung on Hines Ward in Pittsburgh.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Goodfrom55
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I wouldn'e be surprised if they brought him (Hines) back in August at the vet minimum.

KoffeeHobson
03-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Would like the Steelers to take Greg Childs of Arkansas or Ryan Broyles of Oklahoma. Child's is a tall target for the red zone and Broyles is one of the greatest receivers in NCAA history statistically. He tore his ACL so he would be a project for later in the year.

Real Deal Steel
03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm sure that we are going to add a WR somewhere around the 6th or 7th rounds. And that guy will get an opportunity to contribute down the line as the year progresses. As he earns Ben's trust. I'd like for him to be a big wide receiver but they will take who they feel is that best at that particular time.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2012, 09:11 PM
It's too bad Broyles tore his ACL so late and so close to the combine.

I'd love to see them lock up Cotchery before the draft; depending on who all gets franchised this weekend he won't exactly draw a high interest and he wants to stick around so we'll see what happens.

Assuming he does come back, they could move Troy Smith out to wide out as well, could be another slash.

acero
03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
i dont think cotchery will be hard to sign there are many wr on the fa market

LevonKirkland99
03-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I really don't give a rats a$$ who takes over