PDA

View Full Version : Something Mike said in his press conference

SteelersWoman
01-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I was just reading an Ed Bouchette Chat Transcript, and it reminded me of something I'd thought about the day it happened, but hadn't thought of it since.

When Mike called last season "a failure", I was at first shocked. I guess after us starting at 2-6, I was just happy to have ended as good as we did, and have said as much. I also thought "Man, he's takin a chance sayin that to the Rooneys and the team, and even to the fans".

But after the initial shock, I realized what he's REALLY saying. He will NOT be happy, or put up with, less than what they can do. And if he considers 8-8 a "failing season", what does that tell us about what he expects to push them to accomplish??

It sounds as though he's expecting more than a .500 season even to start off with in his first year, as anything less will be a failure in his eyes.

Of course, our guys have to do their part as well. Even though a coach always takes the brunt of the blame if things go bad, when it comes down to it, he's not the one on the field making (or NOT making) the plays. Hopefully Mike can prod, push, threaten--whatever it takes to get out of our guys what he (and all of us) knows they're capable of :bigthumb:

House of Steel
01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Excellent observation, hon. That really is something to read.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I thought about that too but I ended up forgetting about it because I trying to catch every word he said at the time. I just went back and watched the DVR I made of it and Im hoping he's using that as a motivational factor as well.

By Black n Gold standards last year was a failure I'll give him that, so if he's starting to lay down the law of expectations from the bat then I'll give him props for it and hope he can live up to the lofty expectations he wants to achieve.

Koopa
01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
every year you don't win it all the season was a complete failure, so cowher is a failure and last year was a complete failure, you win the superbowl one year the next you ain't even worthy of being considered better then the raiders, which we obviously weren't casue they beat us........so tomlin is right, this season was a failure......and those guys in the lockerroom should be ashamed of themselves for the way they played most of the season...........

House of Steel
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Well Said, Iceman. :iagree:

floodcitygirl
01-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Really good catch SW. I wasn't able to hear the whole conference and haven't taken the time to go back and listen to it all yet. I would have been taken aback a little at that statement too. I'm sure the players recognize that if they would have played more within their abilities at the beginning of the season they wouldn't be sitting at home right now. Hopefully that knowledge and the new coach's attitude will give them what it takes to motivate themselves for next season. With everything that I've heard all this past season about Cowher not being in it and being a lameduck coach, it's good to hear initial comments that sound promising about Mike.

BB2W
01-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Whenever a professional sports team doesn't win it all... they should consider it a failure. :2cents: