PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward released!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
According to multiple reports via twitter today from @albyox and @KDPomp and the Steelers official twitter, they have released Hines Ward!

Official statement from the team (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-to-release-Hines-Ward/ba693de8-74b6-4435-b879-091e6766736a)

“We had a conversation today with Hines Wardhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/hines-ward/8a520076-6343-42ce-a89f-28a7dc97c67a/) and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Ward was originally drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft out of Georgia. He spent 14 years in Pittsburgh and became the team’s all-time leader in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). Ward is the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and joined only Hall of Famer Jerry Rice as the only two players in league history to post 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls.

Ward was the MVP of Super Bowl XL after leading the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. He posted a game-high 123 receiving yards on five receptions with one touchdown.

The Steelers’ 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year, Ward was named to four Pro Bowls (2002-05) and was a member of the team’s 75th Season All-Time Team.

DIESELMAN
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the hard work and memories Hines!! It's a business, fans have to get used to it.

steelers4life66
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
:greensick::greensick::greensick:

Ibleedblk&gld
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
sucks...on the upside, there's $4mil in cap space...

Ibleedblk&gld
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
p.s. i'm NEVER changing my avy

strummerfan
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Can't say that I'm surprised, but I'll certainly miss that smile and those bone crushing blocks.

Number99
02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Sucks ....he was one of my fav Steelers on the team...I met him once outside that Japanese Resturant down on the strip...nice guy. It is what it is though.

Troyisabeast_43
02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
According to multiple reports via twitter today from @albyox and @KDPomp the Steelers official twitter, they have released Hines Ward!

Official statement from the team (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-to-release-Hines-Ward/ba693de8-74b6-4435-b879-091e6766736a)

“We had a conversation today with Hines Wardhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/hines-ward/8a520076-6343-42ce-a89f-28a7dc97c67a/) and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Ward was originally drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft out of Georgia. He spent 14 years in Pittsburgh and became the team’s all-time leader in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). Ward is the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and joined only Hall of Famer Jerry Rice as the only two players in league history to post 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls.

Ward was the MVP of Super Bowl XL after leading the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. He posted a game-high 123 receiving yards on five receptions with one touchdown.

The Steelers’ 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year, Ward was named to four Pro Bowls (2002-05) and was a member of the team’s 75th Season All-Time Team.

It's a shame it had to come to this but in the end it's simply a move that the Steelers had to make. Thanks for the memories Hines and all of the big games you helped the Steelers win while leading them to 3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 Super Bowl titles...

lloydfan4life
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, this is a business decision and I understand it.... but it still sucks. :(

You'll always be one of my favorite Steelers, Hines. :cope:

Thanks for all you've done for the Steelers and best wishes in your future.

Troyisabeast_43
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Hopefully he doesnt sign with the Ravens or within the division...

lloydfan4life
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Hopefully he doesnt sign with the Ravens or within the division...

anybody but the Ratbirds.... I couldn't stomach to see him wearing purple. :mad:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
I think we all saw this coming, even though Hines said he was willing to take a paycut to stick around he just wasn't going to see the field in 2012 unless injuries necessitated the need to get out there. It's a business, it sucks to see a legend go, but we all knew it was coming sooner or later. You just hoped it would have come via Hines riding off into the sunset on a black n gold stallion rather than getting his walking papers.

Troyisabeast_43
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I think we all saw this coming, even though Hines said he was willing to take a paycut to stick around he just wasn't going to see the field in 2012 unless injuries necessitated the need to get out there. It's a business, it sucks to see a legend go, but we all knew it was coming sooner or later. You just hoped it would have come via Hines riding off into the sunset on a black n gold stallion rather than getting his walking papers.

Hines just released a statement thanking the fans and the Steelers organization for his 14 years here and said he still has a lot of football left in him and plans on playing in the 2012 season. Just heard on the fan that someone spoke to James Farrior's agent as well and he said he expects Farrior much like Ward to be released as well in the next 7-10 days. So this is definitely not the end of the cuts by far...

Goodfrom55
02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Inevitable, considering the cap hit. Thanks for 14 years of Steelers football, determination and desire. You will be missed.

Goodfrom55
02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Echoed sentiments for Farrior. 2 Class acts that define what it is to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Prosdo
02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
No big surprise on Hines. Thanks for the hard play.

Nolrog
02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Great Steeler. Glad I had the chance to watch him all these years. Good luck in your future Hines. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish (not to mention the rings.)

In case anyone is wondering, this is is a ~3.4 million cap savings. We're pretty well under the cap now. But I'm not sure if that counts the 5 million we need for draft picks as well.

SteelDad
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
It is indeed a sad day for the Nation. I have so many memories of Hines like all of you do. This is the right decision however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Cricker24
02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
I guess I was still hoping Hines would retire a Steeler even though i knew this was going to happen. I'm honored i got to see him play in person twice, unfortunately both times the Steelers lost to the freakin' Eagles. Hines will ALWAYS be my favorite Steeler!!!! This might sound dumb, but my dream has been to go to the Steelers training camp and there's a chance that dream could come true this summer, but now that Hines won't be there and I know now I'll never get to meet him, my dream is a little less exciting. This is going to be hard to get over.

Chris :(

Goodfrom55
02-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Hines and inevitable Farrior, does this mean they are preparing to franchise Wallace or sign him to a long term deal? The Steelers certainly don't want to be down 2 WR's with only Brown and Sanders under contract and Cotchery still unsigned.

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Ward says he plans to play somewhere in 2012 . no one will sign TO SO WHAT MAKES WARD THINK ANYONE WILL OFFER HIM A DEAL MAYBE THE COLTS.Thank you Hines for all the memories a class act all the way

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
yes the master plan is coming together wallace leaves to the jets any we draft poe with that pick then take Hightower at 24 enroute to the super bowl muhahahahaahaha!!!!!!

Real Deal Steel
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I know logically this had to happen. But like everyone else is saying, it doesn't feel good at all. I hope Hines retires and doesn't go and embarrass himself.

Real Deal Steel
02-29-2012, 07:31 PM
yes the master plan is coming together wallace leaves to the jets any we draft poe with that pick then take Hightower at 24 enroute to the super bowl muhahahahaahaha!!!!!!

Are you drinking? With that offensive line????? Really???? Even if we got Poe, the next pick would have to address the O-line. And the pick after that too. We can forget ANY super bowl dreams until we get that offensive line fixed!

Raleigh Steel
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
hines! i love ya man! you will always be one of the greatest steelers ever. you played football the way it should be played...the steeler way!

it sucks that the end is finally here but it is, what it is. i wish he would have retired but if he wants to play, he wants to play. it's just not going to be here anymore.

THANK YOU HINES!!!!! A MILLION THANK YOUS FROM STEELER NATION!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I will say unless Hines has a change of heart now that the reality is setting in for him; it will suck seeing him in another uniform next year.

This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season. - HINES (http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward)

CowherPower
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Saw it coming for sure but still taken back just a bit by it. I've had the pleasure of watching Ward his entire NFL career and at Georgia. Who would have thought the 3rd round pick would turn out to be the great Steelers receiver of all time.

Hats off to the man, you'll be missed in the burgh...

chisteeler
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks Hines! Best of luck in whatever you decide. A true Steeler through and through.

LarryNJ
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Certainly one of the top 10 greatest Steelers and probably a top 5 favorite of most Steeler fans. thanks for all the great times. You'll never be forgotten.

SnakeEyes43
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
It sucks, but it was time. Thanks Hines for everything you contributed to Steeler Nation over the last 14 years. We love ya man!

Zachintosh66
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/heffrandotnet/bobbleheadhines.png

Katmandu
02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks Hines! Best of luck in whatever you decide. I truly hope for Hine's sake that he simply hangs up his cleets and calls it a career. He would destroy his legacy if he were to sign with the Ratbirds, Bungles, Cheats or the Stains.

If he were to sign somewhere else and not perform well, he would seriously give his legacy a black eye. Anyone remember a guy named Franco ???

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the memories ,you epitomized what it meant to be a STEELER WR. Wish you the best in the future !! :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Go out like a true professional and announce your retirement,please don't embarrass yourself and go be a 3rd or 4th WR on another team..

Black@Gold Forever32
02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Happy Happy Joy Joy....Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you Hines but your old slow *** had to go......Thanks for all you done for the Steelers but all good things must come to an end at sometime.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 11:33 PM
According to Ed Bouchette, they never offered him a paycut either...

Ward, who had two years left on his contract at a $4 million annual salary, was never offered a chance to take a pay cut, a source close to Ward told the Post-Gazette. That would indicate the Steelers' decision was based purely on their assessment of him as a player.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12060/1213554-100.stm#ixzz1npv0PVeD

xBlitzBurghx
03-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Damn. Sad day. Time to see Young Money or the Bugatti boys make history for the Burgh!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Dee Mca
03-01-2012, 02:36 AM
We will never truely know whats going on. I am still holding out hope that they offer Hines a deal in next couple days at league min. So he can retire a steeler. Then turn around and offer him a job with the team.

steelersgal86
03-01-2012, 06:25 AM
We will never truely know whats going on. I am still holding out hope that they offer Hines a deal in next couple days at league min. So he can retire a steeler. Then turn around and offer him a job with the team.

I wish this could be true

OldSchool58
03-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Damn man........
I still have nightmares (seriously) about seeing Franco in that ****** seahawks uniform when i was just a pup. Hines, I hope you retire dude.....and maybe in a year or two you could come back as an assistant or something. F*ck!!!........yeah, this had to happen sooner or later but it still sucks.

OldSchool58
03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
ps: If I live to be 120 years old I'll never forget Hines laying out Ed Reed with a nasty *** decleat block. That one play made me proud to be a Steeler fan for the rest of my life.

steelersgal86
03-01-2012, 07:54 AM
ps: If I live to be 120 years old I'll never forget Hines laying out Ed Reed with a nasty *** decleat block. That one play made me proud to be a Steeler fan for the rest of my life.

That made me smile!!! What a great moment that was...Hines is a great football player and all around great guy...I would love to see him come back as a coach

tat2
03-01-2012, 08:20 AM

can this happen??
man this sucks!!! one of my all time favorites. thanks for the memories and your dedication! it pisses me off that they let Ward go and still have slaps like kemo and david johnson on the roster.
i predict Ward plays more snaps next season than manny "i can't stay healthy" sanders.
oh well, business is business. my steeler flag is at half mast today

Number99
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
With all the chatter a few weeks ago, the inevitable happened. Its sad for us Steeler fans but I just read a great article on coldhardfootballfacts.com about Ward's production last year. Sure Hines brought more then just on the field value to a team, but take a look at the article and what they display there is just about all you need to know on why he was/will be released from his current contract.

Stone
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
This is a double sided coin.......

A. It will be terrible to see him in another uniform

B. The cap space was drastically needed and he isn't what he once was

MattyVfromCT
03-01-2012, 05:05 PM
as much as i agree it was time to move on i hate to see it end this way. thanks for the memories hines you will truly be missed. #86 forever. once a steeler, ALWAYS a steeler

da beast 28
03-02-2012, 02:04 PM
you were a good player man but i think its time to retire man sorry:yellowthumb:

SteelersWoman
03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Won't be the same without Psycho 86, we'll all miss him here. Even if he ends up with another team, he'll still always be a Steeler!

floodcitygirl
03-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I know many will disagree, but I think this stinks. He had alot more to offer than just on the field. I hoped that the organization would have found some kind of spot for him. I may have to rebel by continuing to wear his jersey this year.