PDA

View Full Version : looking into your thougts on the draft

PITTxPRIDE
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I know all of you have been watching the draft and saying everytihng about getting a Dl or a LB, but do you think we might need help in other areas? Such as CB or even TE?

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
We are set at TE and corner

Number99
02-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Since Poe looks like he's out of reach now , if Hightower is there I hope they take him. Address the OL in rd 2 and hell wouldn't it look good to get Bruce Irvin in the 3rd? I know I'm dreaming on that one but it's nice to dream.

Nolrog
02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Such as CB or even TE?

Not this time around. Huge needs at G, NT and to a lesser extent, MILB. After that, we need more depth on the OL, another safety, a full back, more depth on the OL, another WR and finally more depth on the OL.

All seriousness aside, the needs at G and NT are tremendous. We'll need 2 starters right away.

Note, this could all change if they are able to free up enough money to sign a G, NT or MILB in free agency.

Nolrog
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Since Poe looks like he's out of reach now , if Hightower is there I hope they take him. Address the OL in rd 2 and hell wouldn't it look good to get Bruce Irvin in the 3rd?

Then who would play nose? Hampton will be out most of next year. In fact, they should (and likely will) cut him (nearly a 6 million dollar savings.) We desperately need a nose and a guard this draft. Hightower would be great too, but Nose is too big a need (to the point that they should free up enough money to sign a FA guard, and then trade up for Poe.)

strummerfan
02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
We are set at TE and corner

Huh?

Don't know that Johnson is worthy of the #2 te slot and there's a good chance that Saunders is done. So we essentially have 1 TE making it a need.

Nolrog
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Huh?

Don't know that Johnson is worthy of the #2 te slot and there's a good chance that Saunders is done. So we essentially have 1 TE making it a need.

Saunders cought like 5 passes the whole year. TE isn't an area of huge need. Not like guard, NT and MILB. Those must be addressed first. After that, they can draft for depth or whatever.

SnakeEyes43
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
We have some young talent that is still developing at CB. I think we are good there.
As for TE, we will have to see what happens with Saunders. The guys is talented for sure, but seems to have a knack for trouble. Heck, there's already been word that he'll be suspended next year for a drug violation. I say next year they will look for a TE in the second or third.

strummerfan
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Saunders cought like 5 passes the whole year. TE isn't an area of huge need. Not like guard, NT and MILB. Those must be addressed first. After that, they can draft for depth or whatever.

It doesn't matter how many passes he caught. They aren't going into the season with one TE on the roster and with their cap issues the free agent options are limited.

Real Deal Steel
02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Since Poe looks like he's out of reach now , if Hightower is there I hope they take him. Address the OL in rd 2 and hell wouldn't it look good to get Bruce Irvin in the 3rd? I know I'm dreaming on that one but it's nice to dream.

Listen very carefully....There is NO SUPERBOWL CHANCE WHATSOEVER if we don't get atleast two new starters on the O-line. We do not have the luxury of taking Hightower in the first round. Did you see the O-line last year????? Some of you act like the O-line is magically going to be better.

The O-line is the worse it's been in in years! At this point, I"m hoping some team DOES make a play for Wallace. We absolutely neeed two first round picks to address the lines on both sides of the ball! We don't use free agency so where else can we address those immediate needs?

So they looked at Hightower. So what??? They looked at 5-6 different players. Our QB is going to get absolutely killed if we don't get the O-line better. And the D-line isn't far behind because we get NO PUSH from the middle of the Defensive line.

You guys better go look at the game tapes of the last three games and focus on the line play. It was totally unacceptable.

coldrolled
02-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Trade Wallace get glenn, konz or poe and hightower

2nd round get NT or G/OT whichever we missed in 1st we picked up Gilbert later last year.
3-7rds whatever we need for depth and a kicker

Go FA and get a quality OT

coach
03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Listen very carefully....There is NO SUPERBOWL CHANCE WHATSOEVER if we don't get atleast two new starters on the O-line. We do not have the luxury of taking Hightower in the first round. Did you see the O-line last year????? Some of you act like the O-line is magically going to be better.

The O-line is the worse it's been in in years! At this point, I"m hoping some team DOES make a play for Wallace. We absolutely neeed two first round picks to address the lines on both sides of the ball! We don't use free agency so where else can we address those immediate needs?

So they looked at Hightower. So what??? They looked at 5-6 different players. Our QB is going to get absolutely killed if we don't get the O-line better. And the D-line isn't far behind because we get NO PUSH from the middle of the Defensive line.

You guys better go look at the game tapes of the last three games and focus on the line play. It was totally unacceptable.

No question about the need. But, there will be O linemen in the second. There will be D linemen in the second. I don't think there will be great ILBs in the second or third when we pick. Despite our needs on the line, Hightower is first round talent. Even losing Wallace and gaining a first would be beneficial for addressing these needs, but then gives us a need at WR. Maybe Hood gets moved to nose and we go after a DE. Maybe it is too early to have the topic come up but there is also the potential to move down in draft and pick up an extra second/third. Even if the needs are prioritized as O line, D line and ILB in that order, what ILBs are available in the third? If nothing changes and we pick at 24, I think Hightower will get consideration.

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
No question about the need. But, there will be O linemen in the second. There will be D linemen in the second. I don't think there will be great ILBs in the second or third when we pick. Despite our needs on the line, Hightower is first round talent. Even losing Wallace and gaining a first would be beneficial for addressing these needs, but then gives us a need at WR. Maybe Hood gets moved to nose and we go after a DE. Maybe it is too early to have the topic come up but there is also the potential to move down in draft and pick up an extra second/third. Even if the needs are prioritized as O line, D line and ILB in that order, what ILBs are available in the third? If nothing changes and we pick at 24, I think Hightower will get consideration.

There will not be starting right away caliber D-lineman in the second round. And MAYBE there will be starting caliber O-lineman in the second round. We need some help right now. We have developmental players. You actually think we are just going to go pull a guy out of the 3rd round and put him up against Ngata?? Really??

K Train
03-01-2012, 01:13 PM

flawed logic, the need for oline is huge but they made the superbowl with guys like mahan, hartwig, and stapleton as starters. i dont think any line with pouncey, gilbert and a healthy colon is worse than what weve seen.

Hightower would be a great pick, as would a couple other non olinemen. Id like to see a new starting guard in the first two rounds, but im pretty much expecting that to happen at this point

strummerfan
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I could have sworn that despite an astronomical number of injuries the Steelers went 12-4 in 2011. Guess it was just a dream and the sky really is falling.

PITTxPRIDE
03-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Not a huge area of need? Well i think heath has made a big diffrence at TE playing as the dump man