PDA

View Full Version : Whats the latest knock on Haley?

Stone
02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
I was on conference calls this morning when Mike & Mike were talking about the latest upheaval over Haley. There was a quote from a player questioning the logic in hiring Haley but I couldn't see the full quote or who said it.

What's the latest poop?

CowherPower
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I didn't hear Mike & Mike this morning but as far as I've read the Haley saga has drastically died down since he and Ben finally had some sort of a pow wow.

I haven't read anything recently about any news regarding players complaining about Haley. In fact the only player I ever read about having a potential problem with him was Ben. As it turns out that wasn't necessarily him having a problem with Haley in particular as much as it was Ben just maybe putting his foot in his mouth to the media.

strummerfan
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
I haven't listened to it it yet.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7628736

Stone
02-29-2012, 10:24 AM
The part of the quote I caught was "It's clear that this is a quarterback driven league so why would we hire an offensive coordinator who......................................"

K Train
02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
damn arians must have gave one hell of a hand job

coldrolled
02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Thank God we got rid of BA, this must of been a battle to really let him go...

Wow....

Stone
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I said it long before the Steelers made a choice......I'm just scared of this hire. Todd Haley can't get along with "anyone" and even though he is an offensive genius I still don't like it. He has flamed out everywhere he's been and his offensive genius falls to the wayside if he ends up being a cancer at the OC position.

K Train
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
he cant get along with anyone?????????? so TO, Boldin, and Kurt Warner = everyone?

christ, i dont even know why i bother

Stone
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
he cant get along with anyone?????????? so TO, Boldin, and Kurt Warner = everyone?

christ, i dont even know why i bother

You didn't hear about his accusations against the Chiefs and the ugliness that followed?

Number99
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I didn't hear the M&M either , but really whats the point at this time? The draft hasn't happened yet , training camp hasn't happened yet and no games have been played with Haley on the sideline. Everybody is going to have their opinion about this move. It seems the Steelers are one of the hottest topics no matter what this off-season. Until something more then a press conference takes place, let the pundits throw out the nonsense. Does anyone think Rooney is second guessing the hiring? I don't.

K Train
02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
the chiefs were ugliness from top to bottom. now hes got the job hes always wanted and is working for a stable franchise, i seriously cant see a problem at all

DIESELMAN
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
That "can't get along with anyone" label comes from the media, the same media who wanted everyone to believe the Steelers had personnel issues. They show Haley getting into it with Warner on the sidelines and immediately say he can't get along with his QB. Fact of the matter is and Warner has confirmed it by saying he needed to be pushed to become a better QB. People might not like Haleys style but he does get results. As far as his KC stint, Pioli is a idiot, he helped create the hostile environment Haley was in, no one knows for sure what happened between the 2 unless you go by the all knowing ****ing media. I'm stoked about Haley's hiring and we will finally see what our offense is capable of instead of wondering what if's with BA.

Stone
02-29-2012, 01:10 PM
That "can't get along with anyone" label comes from the media, the same media who wanted everyone to believe the Steelers had personnel issues. They show Haley getting into it with Warner on the sidelines and immediately say he can't get along with his QB. Fact of the matter is and Warner has confirmed it by saying he needed to be pushed to become a better QB. People might not like Haleys style but he does get results. As far as his KC stint, Pioli is a idiot, he helped create the hostile environment Haley was in, no one knows for sure what happened between the 2 unless you go by the all knowing ****ing media. I'm stoked about Haley's hiring and we will finally see what our offense is capable of instead of wondering what if's with BA.

Nope! The "can't get along with anyone" came from me because I remember him in screaming matches with Warner, Bouldin, and a couple other players and then I listened to the aftermath of him publicly bad-mouthing the Chiefs. In my opinion, a coach at the level he's been at is a big enough man to know better than to make his bull **** public.

You can make all the excuses you want in order to show that it's "everyone" else but it centers around Haley.........this guy has issues.

DIESELMAN
02-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Nope! The "can't get along with anyone" came from me because I remember him in screaming matches with Warner, Bouldin, and a couple other players and then I listened to the aftermath of him publicly bad-mouthing the Chiefs. In my opinion, a coach at the level he's been at is a big enough man to know better than to make his bull **** public.

You can make all the excuses you want in order to show that it's "everyone" else but it centers around Haley.........this guy has issues.

Then I guess you need to be part of the jump to conclusion media. Just because someone is seen yelling and screaming at a player on the sidelines doesn't mean they don't get along. Every player has a different motivation trigger, I'd like to think that Haley has the mental capacity to figure those triggers out. We shall see.....

strummerfan
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Yeah, he brought that title upon himself through his own actions. When was the last time you saw a head coach get called for a personal foul? That doesn't have jack to do with the media. I also wonder how much of his success at Arizona was due to the tools he had to work with as opposes to actual skill. You have to admit his resume as an OC is very thin. It doens't help that the only time he had any success in KC Charlie Weiss was the OC and calling the plays. Hopefully the hiring of Haley will reap great rewards for the Steelers, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic.

K Train
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
i remember when bill cowher used to scream at players, but hes just colorful and passionate while haley is a huge dick....right.

Warner, Boldin, and TO...not a group of the most easy to deal with highly paid star players.

Stone
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Then I guess you need to be part of the jump to conclusion media. Just because someone is seen yelling and screaming at a player on the sidelines doesn't mean they don't get along. Every player has a different motivation trigger, I'd like to think that Haley has the mental capacity to figure those triggers out. We shall see.....

I don't need to be part of anything.

A head coach or OC should be able to find his players motivations and get the best without making a spectacle of himself.

Tell me that last respectable OC you ever saw who acts like a little girl like Haley has?

Tell me that last respectable head coach you ever saw who, after being fired, called out his former team?

strummerfan
02-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I swear to god the blaming the media is quickly replacing the race card.

LatrobePA
02-29-2012, 01:44 PM
BA was a stroker and a sucker not a game planner!

Stone
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
i remember when bill cowher used to scream at players, but hes just colorful and passionate while haley is a huge dick....right.

Warner, Boldin, and TO...not a group of the most easy to deal with highly paid star players.

Cowher screamed "at" players....he did not get into screaming matches "with" players and certainly not on national TV. One method is being a vocal leader, the other brings himself down to the level of the idiot on the other end of the screaming match.

K Train
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah, he brought that title upon himself through his own actions. When was the last time you saw a head coach get called for a personal foul? That doesn't have jack to do with the media. I also wonder how much of his success at Arizona was due to the tools he had to work with as opposes to actual skill. You have to admit his resume as an OC is very thin. It doens't help that the only time he had any success in KC Charlie Weiss was the OC and calling the plays. Hopefully the hiring of Haley will reap great rewards for the Steelers, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic.

he might not have fitzgerald here but the team is overall sooo much better than the cards were. He was good in dallas as a WR coach and assistant offensive coach in general. TO and Terry Glenn really benefited under him.

its hard for HCs to call plays, not many do and the few that do usually arent successful. Hes not a HC, but he doenst have to be...he gave it a whirl, i dont think he was as bad as like josh mcdaniels but i think his home is at OC. He really does adjust to the talent he has, thats not a myth. he had a rough go in KC with cassell being the king of painfully average QBs, charles getting hurt and losing a run game entirely, and moeaki and eric berry both being lost for the year.

K Train
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Cowher screamed "at" players....he did not get into screaming matches "with" players and certainly not on national TV. One method is being a vocal leader, the other brings himself down to the level of the idiot on the other end of the screaming match.

cowher also quit on the team, is that better than "calling out" shaky upper management?

people really just look hard for reasons not to like haley, its dumb

Stone
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
he might not have fitzgerald here but the team is overall sooo much better than the cards were. He was good in dallas as a WR coach and assistant offensive coach in general. TO and Terry Glenn really benefited under him.

its hard for HCs to call plays, not many do and the few that do usually arent successful. Hes not a HC, but he doenst have to be...he gave it a whirl, i dont think he was as bad as like josh mcdaniels but i think his home is at OC. He really does adjust to the talent he has, thats not a myth. he had a rough go in KC with cassell being the king of painfully average QBs, charles getting hurt and losing a run game entirely, and moeaki and eric berry both being lost for the year.

WOW! You have more excuses for Haley than the human excuse magnet (Donnovan NcNaab) generated in a career of mediocre, excuse riddled, quarterbacking!

Number99
02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
So I guess the mick'd up on TV screaming match with Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday made Manning a horrible teammate and bad leader on a team too right?

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't need to be part of anything.

A head coach or OC should be able to find his players motivations and get the best without making a spectacle of himself.

Tell me that last respectable OC you ever saw who acts like a little girl like Haley has?

Tell me that last respectable head coach you ever saw who, after being fired, called out his former team?And once the season is underway you'll be loving Haley

coach
02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
If Haley can come in and plan a game, he is an upgrade over BA. Everything else is a distant second. If they do get into screaming matches, I guess it will be a great source of debate here, but my best guess would be that if the team is winning, everyone lives with that stuff. If the team is losing or not living up to expectations it becomes a primary focus.

K Train
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
WOW! You have more excuses for Haley than the human excuse magnet (Donnovan NcNaab) generated in a career of mediocre, excuse riddled, quarterbacking!

haley was by far the best OC candidate, actually i cant think of one legit other candidate on the market. It was haley (far and away the best) because billick only wanted a head coaching job and caldwell, fitchner and kugler would be serious commitment to mediocrity on the part of the steelers. Tom Clements was blocked from leaving GB, so Haley by far made the most sense. but i guess since he couldnt turn a poorly managed franchise into a world wide powerhouse in 2 years he should be shunned from nfl coaching jobs

OldSchool58
02-29-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't give a damn if he's the antichrist and skipps around the locker room shoving a hot poker up everyones arses. If he can help us win games and fix our underachieving offense he's got my vote.

Besides, in 10 years of playing football I don't remember ever NOT getting screamed at, or hit in the damn head with a freakin' clipboard when I jumped off sides or forgot the snap count. Damn, my senior year of HS football I thought my name was G*d Dammitt!! Back then we called it tuff love.

LatrobePA
02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
cowher also quit on the team, is that better than "calling out" shaky upper management?

people really just look hard for reasons not to like haley, its dumb

Quote of the year IMO!! F BC he's gone get over it... Haley will have this team clicking!

connecticutsteel
02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Canh we we give the man a chance before we talk ****? .Did it occur to anyone that haley took those other jobs to stay employed but this is the team he really wants to coach for plus the fact that his fater is engrained in the Steeler family is a plus there is no way he embarrasses his dad by talking smack or actin crazy

Goodfrom55
02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Bill Parcells wasn't exactly cookies and cream with Phil Simms or any other players on his teams, but he did pretty well over the years.

Haley is passionate and will wear his emotions on his sleeve. Tomlin is a cool cat who has a good poker face. There is nothing wrong with a little fire from time to time, and whoever is at the epicenter of that occasional fire should not take it personally and work to get better and help the team.

DIESELMAN
02-29-2012, 06:03 PM

What's the difference between us "making up" excuses for Haley's behavior and you coming up with your own version of what happened on the sidelines between Haley and whoever. No one knows why the shouting happened or who started it, all we get are some clips of Haley screaming at players.....who gives s ****!! We see the good Haley will bring to the Steelers and you see the bad he will bring.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-29-2012, 08:00 PM
the chiefs were ugliness from top to bottom. now hes got the job hes always wanted and is working for a stable franchise, i seriously cant see a problem at all

THIS^^^^:clap:

chisteeler
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
1. I also believe that Haley has the job with the team that he's always wanted, so he's not going to rock the boat.
2. However, he is going to be passionate about what he wants from his players in order to win games.
3. If yelling from time to time is who he is and how he coaches, then players need to understand that sometimes yelling happens in football.
4. I hate to quote Ray Lewis, but he said, "this is a man's game" so if you can't take getting yelled at or watching some coach yell at a player, then go play soccer, or watch golf.
5. I for one am very excited to see what can happen this year!

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Haley is going to be fine.. Andrew Luck??????

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Haley is going to just fine. Besides, for argument sake let's say Haley gets after a player for messing up..............I LIKE THAT! Players NEED to be held accountable for their actions. That's called, " Real Life!" What a concept! Players being held accountable for their actions just like everyday people. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Stone
03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
What's the difference between us "making up" excuses for Haley's behavior and you coming up with your own version of what happened on the sidelines between Haley and whoever. No one knows why the shouting happened or who started it, all we get are some clips of Haley screaming at players.....who gives s ****!! We see the good Haley will bring to the Steelers and you see the bad he will bring.

Seriously? You're funny! "My version" is out there for anyone with a TV and/or the internet.

You're correct that we don't know who "started it" but the bottom line is that Haley doesn't play well with others and that is not a trait conducive to a coordinator or head coach which is why he has moved around like a ping pong ball. You can make up all "stuff" you want about him finally being with "the team" but the reality is pretty clear that he has issues.

My only comfort comes in the fact that the Steelers have always been able to keep prim a-donas like Haley in check.

K Train
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
haley isnt a prima donna lol, he was dealing with prima donna players. talk about a fine line

Stone
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
haley isnt a prima donna lol, he was dealing with prima donna players. talk about a fine line

C'mon.....enough with the excuses. Sure....he was dealing with prima donas but it's the way he did it that matters.

Again:

Tell me that last respectable head coach you ever saw who, after being fired, called out his former team?

K Train
03-01-2012, 12:38 PM
im more offended by the coaches that put on a fake smile and thank the owners and staff for the opportunity. at least haley isnt a fake piece of ****

i get that players were super duper upset that their boy arians was let go, i never thought id see a fan pout about someone better being brought in after watching arians **** things up for the last 5 years or so

everything youve said about haley is purely speculation, his sideline "incidents" as in 2 of them are all you have to argue with

Stone
03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
WOW........I've never actually seen a person in denial over a coach:lol: Maybe he
is related to you?

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
everything youve said about haley is purely speculation, his sideline "incidents" as in 2 of them are all you have to argue with

I think Manning yelled at his own players as OC/QB more than Haley did with his multiple team tenures...

Then, McDaniels was the HC and destroyed the Broncos for a year and screamed his head off all the time. BB has him back with the Pats..
I would be more worried there than with Haley. Obviously BB knows he can settledown McDaniels and he will be a good OC.

Haley is a good OC also. He is not our HC. He will be fine. And if he does real well it will only make Tomlin better. Because Tomlin will have an X-HC in the wings.

If anyone lights fires under Haley it will be Ben being a spoiled QB..

Steelers_All_Day_43
03-01-2012, 02:55 PM
WOW........I've never actually seen a person in denial over a coach:lol: Maybe he
is related to you?

Have you ever played football? Yelling is a part of being a coach. Every coach yells, some more than others. You're acting as if a little yelling is going to destroy our organization...

Stone
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Have you ever played football? Yelling is a part of being a coach. Every coach yells, some more than others. You're acting as if a little yelling is going to destroy our organization...

:banging::banging: It's not the yelling........jeeeeez......It's the fact that he isn't any more mature than the players he yells at:banging::banging:

He has issues every where he goes.:banging::banging: As a coordinator, and as a head coach

Number99
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
:banging::banging: It's not the yelling........jeeeeez......It's the fact that he isn't any more mature than the players he yells at:banging::banging:

He has issues every where he goes.:banging::banging: As a coordinator, and as a head coach

I think someone here has a few "issues" too.

JensK
03-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Todd Haley called Ben Roethlisberger a few weeks ago and the quarterback ignored it.

"I didn't recognize the number," Roethlisberger said.

It could have been an ignominious start to the long-anticipated first meeting between the Steelers quarterback and the new boss of the offense. However, when Roethlisberger listened to the message, he quickly returned the phone call and the coach and the quarterback had their chat.

The only thing is, by NFL rules, they are not permitted to talk real football stuff until April 16.

"It was a really good talk," Roethlisberger said of the 10- to 15-minute phone conversation he had with Haley in his first comments since their first meeting. "Unfortunately, we can't talk football right now and that's one of the big things I wanted to talk about.

"So it was just me talking to him, about golf, his family, my family, him having been a ballboy here, just things like that. It was a good start and I felt it was a good step in the right direction."

The Steelers hired Haley as their offensive coordinator Feb. 6, but it took a few weeks before the new coach and his quarterback talked. Speculation about why they hadn't talked built during that time. It perhaps became a bigger issue because of Roethlisberger's close relationship to Bruce Arians, whom the Steelers fired as coordinator.

"I didn't know what the rules were," Roethlisberger said. "Could I call him? Could he call me? I don't know what you're allowed to do or not allowed to do."

First impressions of his new coach?

"I think it will be a good working relationship -- and good friendship, who knows," Roethlisberger said.

Stone
03-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I think someone here has a few "issues" too.

So you're admitting that someone who has a childish display in public has issues:cope: How about when someone does it multiple times?:lol: And then performs the ultimate no-no by bad mouthing his forming NFL organization in the national media? :lol:

steelcityrockers
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I actually tend to agree with the OP. Everything I've ever heard about Haley is that he is a giant douche. I'm paraphrasing a lot her because I cannot remember the exact quote, but the best Steve Breaston (who was with him in Arizona and Kansas City) could say about him was that he was "not an *** all the time." Wonderful.

His only truly successful year was the Cardinal's super bowl run with Kurt Warner. After that, he was nothing special. Also, he got into arguments with his players and other coaches frequently. And, to top it off, didn't he leave a practice early to go to a Lil' Wayne concert?

JensK
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Even if he is a douche maybe thats exactly what the doctor ordered. Besides, Haley knows that this is one of his last chances. He is in a great situation now and I don't see how he won't try to make the most out of it.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
maybe the ties he has to this organization will change his attitude a little bit...but we can't sit here and crucify a guy based off his techniques in other organizations...the fact still remains that the cards passing game, and the chiefs running game were on point when he was with both organizations..

tburg68
03-04-2012, 05:24 PM
:banging::banging:

I think you forgot to put the D on the end of your name.