PDA

View Full Version : NFL season opener now on Wednesday

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
New York, NY (Sports Network (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/news.aspx?id=4480450)) - The 2012 season-opening NFL Kickoff game will be played on Wednesday, September 5 instead of the traditional Thursday night start.

The change was made this year to avoid a conflict with President Barack Obama's Thursday night speech at the Democratic National Convention.
The Super Bowl XLVI-champion New York Giants will host the 8:30 p.m. (et) contest at MetLife Stadium. Their opponent has yet to be determined.

The last NFL game to take place on a Wednesday occurred on September 22, 1948 (Rams-Lions).

If you guys know me you know I honestly don't like Thursday night games, but now Wednesday's too? Whoever ends up playing will have almost an extra bye week right out of the gate to start the season.

A little trivia for you, are there any days during the week that the NFL cannot televise their games?

CowherPower
02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
My guess is that the Steelers don't get this matchup. I would think the NFL wants a team like Green Bay to play the Giants in a game like this. NFC conference rival against to two teams that faced each other in the playoffs last year.

JensK
02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
the NFL just keeps getting harder to keep watching if you don't live in the states. I don't understand the sudden need to change all this... The system worked perfectly before.

coldrolled
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Dems get free publicity. Maybe they will annouce the start of a Govt Football league, no golden parachutes.. Goddell can run it.
Call it Yank the American Flag Football.

OldSchool58
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Damn...................guys, I'm seriously about an inch away from saying phuck-it to the NFL. Moving the opening game to Wed night so everyone can watch Obama? This is total horseshit.