PDA

View Full Version : We neeeeed Poe

Real Deal Steel
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Let me give you my arguments on why we really need this guy.

1. In our division, one of the things that got the Ravens close to us is when they got Ngata. I hate to say it but Ngata has been a force for them ever since they got him. Ngata has protected Ray Lewis and allowed Lewis to extend his career by continually allowing Lewis to roam and make plays. Poe could do that for us and allow us to keep Farrior as LB but at a lower salary. Poe can make our linebackers better !

2. Because of our lack of push up the middle, defenses have focused on Woodley and Harrison off the edges. If we could get our push up the middle and Poe draw the double team, this would allow Woodley and Harrison one on one opportunities and make our overall pass rush effective again. Let's face it, our pass rush hasn't been as potent the last couple of years as it was previously and if we want to help our secondary, we need that pass rush to protect the secondary.

With him being so dominant, the havoc he could cause would also allow Troy to roam and make plays too! As you can see, Poe can help us in a world of areas defensively if we got him at the nose tackle position. Now I do think we need to upgrade behind him even if we got him. But this guy could make the difference for us in winning or losing the division this coming season.

With his combine going so well, do you see anyway we can get Poe?

LatrobePA
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
He'd look badass in B&G but it's not gonna happen after his combine...

K Train
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
i honestly think playing him at nose would be a waste....ngata is a HELL of a NT and was a great NT prospect but he plays at DE for a reason. Poe would move all over our line and while hes not really the protoype NT (6-5 is tall) he would be a distruptive force. if we got him the line would be DIRTY no matter who was the combination.

that being said, he wont make it past KC now...could see him going even higher

tburg68
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Mike Martin from Michigan in the 3rd/4th round.

strummerfan
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Let me give you my arguments on why we really need this guy.

2. Because of our lack of push up the middle, defenses have focused on Woodley and Harrison off the edges. If we could get our push up the middle and Poe draw the double team, this would allow Woodley and Harrison one on one opportunities and make our overall pass rush effective again. Let's face it, our pass rush hasn't been as potent the last couple of years as it was previously and if we want to help our secondary, we need that pass rush to protect the secondary.

You're a bit off base here. QB's are getting rid of the ball faster than Woodley and Harrison can physically get to them. THey don't even need a full block a simple chip gives them enough time. IF you don't believe me there are interviews out there where they talk about not blitzing as much because qb's are getting rid of ball.

With his combine going so well, do you see anyway we can get Poe?

He looks great in weight room, but there is almost no footage of him playing. There has to be a reason that Memphis only shows his workout highlights and not game tape. I just don't see the Steelers taking that big of a risk with their 1st round selection.

jpele
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I think there's a good chance he's still there at 24. His combine workout wasn't a surprise to the scouts they knew he was strong , fast and athletic. All that doesn't change the fact that he's still a raw talent. Poe will be judged by his game tape not his workout. And remember I wanted Poe before he was the popular choice :)

K Train
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM
knowing he was big and athletic doesnt mean knowing he was THAT big strong fast and athletic. He put on a show, he won the combine and left scouts dazzled. He might be raw but he plays a position that doesnt include a tough transition from college to pros. If BJ raji went #9, poe is potentially a top 5 talent (wont go top 5, but i would gladly welcome him to the top 5 on my big board) Luck, Richardson, Kalil, Claiborne, Poe.

connecticutsteel
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
He did so well at the combine teams will take him even if they don.t need him KC will go Oline before poe

K Train
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
dont know about that...decastro will be enticing but they could get osemele, washington, zeitler in 2....they need a NT to really make tyson jackson, allen bailey, and glenn dorsey maximize their ability in a 34 and they dont have much faith in jerrell powe it seems.

Poe, Jackson, Dorsey, Bailey, Hali, Flowers, Berry, d. johnson and justin houston would be just dirty

Real Deal Steel
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm not too worried about what KC will do because even if Cassell is their starter, they will have an eye on Tanenhill if he falls to them. And a runningback is also high priority for them too. But the Chargers would probably take him.

I guess the point I'm getting after is we need to be dominant on the D-line again. And I just see Poe getting us started in that direction.

JollyRob68
02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Mike Martin from Michigan in the 3rd/4th round.

I agree he is the perfect replacement for Hoke.

Number99
02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Well the top 10 will pretty much go like most of the mock drafts with maybe a pick or 2 as a surprise. Its 11-20 that will be interesting. KC,AZ,Dal,NYJ,and SD all run the 3-4. I could see Poe going to any one of those teams. I've said earlier that Poe is the guy I'd like to see drafted 1st but after the combine and the way Eisen and crew were gussing over him unless lady luck lands him at 24 it might take a trade up to get him. And I honestly don't see that happening. Yes he played on a bad Memphis team but his phsyical attributes are hard to ignore. At his size, the way to performed yesterday put a big boost in his draft value. It will just make the draft that much more fun and intriguing to watch.

coach
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
dont know about that...decastro will be enticing but they could get osemele, washington, zeitler in 2....they need a NT to really make tyson jackson, allen bailey, and glenn dorsey maximize their ability in a 34 and they dont have much faith in jerrell powe it seems.

Poe, Jackson, Dorsey, Bailey, Hali, Flowers, Berry, d. johnson and justin houston would be just dirty

OK, I am not saying this could happen, but could you imagine Poe, Suh and fairley on the same line with KVB (who is 32 this year) spelling them?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
The thing I would love about Poe is that he can play multiple positions on the line. You wouldn't necessarily have to take him out on passing downs because you can sub him in with Hood or Keisel should the need arise. Damn him for having such a good combine, but I'm not giving up hope that if the Steelers want him bad enough they'll grab him.

I will say there's a case to be made for passing on him, and Mike Martin is one of them. That dude is one mean guy on the field and a scrapper. The other is that, say they feel that McLendon can do the job for the time being, Casey will be back by sometimes in October (hopefully). Then you pass on Poe, take Hightower and draft a NT next year. Mainly because Hightower is one of those guys you don't see every year in the draft and if next years MLB crop is thin you could be out of luck.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
We wont get him .....I want him badly

coldrolled
02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
If we take glenn or poe

this would sound awful

Ozzie Newsome indicated that he'll be looking for Ray Lewis' successor this upcoming April. Well, Dont'a Hightower makes sense for a number of reasons. He's one of the best players available and fits the attitude of Baltimore's defense. He can play next to Lewis right away, and Ozzie Newsome has had success with Alabama players over the years.

This selection also works for the Steelers, who could obtain this pick if the Ravens decide to acquire Mike Wallace for a first-round tender. If I'm Baltimore, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Wallace is still young, and he's better than anyone available at this juncture. Hurting your biggest rival is an added bonus.

K Train
02-28-2012, 06:48 PM
seeing wallace in baltimore honestly wouldnt hurt me that bad with their first round pick as compensation. might just be me, but if we could land glenn and hightower we wouldnt miss a beat on defense and the offense would instantly be better on the ground and the pass blocking for ben with brown, sanders, cotchery, and a draft pick. haley turns WRs into pro bowl WRs....wallace is good and i like him a lot, but i love first round draft picks

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
seeing wallace in baltimore honestly wouldnt hurt me that bad with their first round pick as compensation. might just be me, but if we could land glenn and hightower we wouldnt miss a beat on defense and the offense would instantly be better on the ground and the pass blocking for ben with brown, sanders, cotchery, and a draft pick. haley turns WRs into pro bowl WRs....wallace is good and i like him a lot, but i love first round draft picks

Crazy....Wallace is already proven and I rather keep Wallace then get a first round pick for him...Both Glenn and Hightower are unproven when it comes to the NFL...Plus who is to say those two would be the Steelers first round picks......I'm usually all for acquiring more draft picks but Wallace still has his best years ahead of him.......

Nolrog
02-28-2012, 07:39 PM
F-ing Poe just had to go out and have a kick *** combine. He moved up on a lot of teams draft boards. He's strong, and he's fast. Dammit. Very frustrating. If we're gonna get him, it's gonna cost us picks to move up, and we can't afford to trade picks.

K Train
02-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Crazy....Wallace is already proven and I rather keep Wallace then get a first round pick for him...Both Glenn and Hightower are unproven when it comes to the NFL...Plus who is to say those two would be the Steelers first round picks......I'm usually all for acquiring more draft picks but Wallace still has his best years ahead of him.......

oh i know its crazy, but if you cant keep him you need to get compensation. proven or unproven doesnt matter to me, if i take these guys i expect them to prove themselves otherwise i dont take them. i like wallace, i really do...i hope he stays but in reality holmes was the better WR and we got to the SB without him and antonio brown is just dominant all over the field. if wallace doesnt want haley to make him turn into one of the league great, **** him. id rather get compensation for him then have him play unmotivated for a year, make a ton of money, and walk next year

SteelDad
02-29-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't see Poe lasting at all and as was mentioned, he has a similar problem to that of McClendon. His height is actually a detriment in this situation. The 3-4 NT needs to be closer to what Hampton is in that 6' range in order to create piles and use leverage. Is it impossible for Poe to be great at NT? Of course not, but his workout just pushed him way up the board.

I don't know that I'm drinking the kool-aid on Hightower. Hasn't he had some injury issues? Besides, we have to address the lines before anything else IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Walter Football has him going as high as #9 now in the first round.. :cursin:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

coldrolled
02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
all good but teams in the top 20 do not really need a NT #1 pick. maybe KC but they have more problems than just a NT.

so we shall see.

K Train
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't see Poe lasting at all and as was mentioned, he has a similar problem to that of McClendon. His height is actually a detriment in this situation. The 3-4 NT needs to be closer to what Hampton is in that 6' range in order to create piles and use leverage. Is it impossible for Poe to be great at NT? Of course not, but his workout just pushed him way up the board.

I don't know that I'm drinking the kool-aid on Hightower. Hasn't he had some injury issues? Besides, we have to address the lines before anything else IMO.

A single injury doesnt = injury issues.

hightower would be great. id have him after Adams, Glenn, and Konz though

coach
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't see Baltimore taking Wallace and giving up a first and a hefty salary to land Wallace. They have Torrey Smith who was in the 4.43 territory and can get another receiver in later rounds in this year's draft. I am not against getting another pick in the first but I would be shocked if Wallace landed in Baltimore. Cinci and NE both have multiple picks. NE recently had approximately 7.5 mill in cap space and Cinci has a bunch. I don't what the rats have or don't have in cap space.
Last point: With Moss now looking for a contract, I wonder if any teams will view him as a more affordable deep threat?

Real Deal Steel
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Moss is only a two year stop gap to anyone's deep threat at wide receiver. I can't wait until free agency opens. I think they'll will be a few surprises for all of us. If Wallace isn't under contract, SOMEONE is going to sign him to an offer sheet. You all might as well except that and move on.

Nolrog
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Walter Football has him going as high as #9 now in the first round.. :cursin:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

While I know it's a crap shoot, this guy is clearly not thinking correctly. His last mock had us picking a corner in the 2nd round. Which makes a mockery of his mock.

Pick change; previously Stephon Gilmore, CB

K Train
02-29-2012, 09:17 PM
why is a corner so out of this world? ike is old, lewis and cortez still look like FSs, gay is well....and brown is unknown.

a stud corner goes a long way on this defense....dre or jenkins in one, dennard and minnifield in 2, boykin in 3

coldrolled
02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Moss is only a two year stop gap to anyone's deep threat at wide receiver. I can't wait until free agency opens. I think they'll will be a few surprises for all of us. If Wallace isn't under contract, SOMEONE is going to sign him to an offer sheet. You all might as well except that and move on.

my guess is the bears. Cutler is not getting younger. The Packers need to be beat deep.

Nolrog
03-01-2012, 07:05 AM
why is a corner so out of this world? ike is old, lewis and cortez still look like FSs, gay is well....and brown is unknown.

Because the needs at Guard, Nose and MILB are so great, that taking a corner wouldn't be a smart move. Yes, we could always use a stud corner, so could everyone else in the draft. But you don't get a stud corner in the 2nd round, and even with a stud corner, if we can't get to the QB or stop the run, we're gonna have trouble covering the pass even with a stud corner.

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Because the needs at Guard, Nose and MILB are so great, that taking a corner wouldn't be a smart move. Yes, we could always use a stud corner, so could everyone else in the draft. But you don't get a stud corner in the 2nd round, and even with a stud corner, if we can't get to the QB or stop the run, we're gonna have trouble covering the pass even with a stud corner.

Nolrog, Thank you!!! Our lines are IN REAL TROUBLE!!! That is our priority with our first two picks in the draft. Not linebacker.

K Train
03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
disagree, you can never go into the draft with that mentality. thats how you end up with trai essex and ricardo coclough in the second round. you stick to the rankings, and im not a big fan of BPA as an absolute idea, but it does have to be a weighted average between need and BPA.

Guard is a HUGE need and this is a very guard top heavy draft. Decastro, Glenn, Konz, Osemele, Zeitler, Washington are all top 2 round picks, i do anticipate that gets addresseed in the the first two rounds, however CB is a huge need and if chase minnifield is there in the second you might have to take him. Same thing with MLB, a giant need for us and hightower fits the position perfectly. I think we need one new starting guard from this draft (or a guy like mike adams and make colon our new starting guard) but brushing off the idea of a corner or MLB is the wrong way to go about it.

Round 1:
Mike Adams
Cordy Glenn
Donta Hightower
Janoris Jenkins
Dre Kirkpatrick
Peter Konz

Round 2:
Brandon Washington
Chase Minnifield
Kenechi Osemele
Vontaze Burfict
Alemeda Taamu
Jared Crick
Kevin Zeiteler
Stephen Gilmore

Round 3
Josh Chapman
Brandon Boykin
Mychal Kendricks
Alfonzo Dennard

any combo of those groups and im a happy man, regardles of the position they play these guys are impact guys for us

Real Deal Steel
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
disagree, you can never go into the draft with that mentality.

I disagree.

If you know what your needs are, and are in position to address them in a significant way. We accutely know what we need. Every in depth Steeler fan can tell you what the needs are. Their that obvious. So you address them in the best way possible.

Our history is dominance on the line. It's our core belief. And....it's exactly what we need now. We may not get Poe, but Poe represents exactly what our history is all about. Strength, dominance, power! I just want the best possible player. If we don't get him because someone else beats us to the punch, then so be it.

Real Deal Steel
04-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Well, with no move to upgrade at Farrior spot, Hightower is the odds on favorite now. But I'm hearing that Poe may be there when we pick at 24.

Going to be very interesting.

K Train
04-06-2012, 12:35 AM
id still be really surprised if poe makes it anywhere near 24.

hightower is the favorite and im ok with that

LevonKirkland99
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Looks like Hightower would be the pick according to some web sites....Any chance they pick Jerel Worthy out of Mich State?

Nolrog
04-06-2012, 07:33 AM
however CB is a huge need

I'm sorry K. Corner is not a huge need. Not even close to a huge need. We have no nose tackle right now (well McLendon, but let's get real). That's a huge need. We have no guard. That's a huge need. We have significant weakness at ILB. That's a need (though less huge than the previous two.) We have decent corners who played well last year (yes, one game not withstanding, they were the #1 passing D in the league.) That's not a huge need that we need to start spending a #1 and not filling the true needs.

This draft is going to be much like last year when we needed another DE, a tackle and a corner and they came out with Heyward, Gilbert, Brown and Allen.

I think you're point of having a pool of candidates to choose from, and yes maybe even a big time corner that could possible fall (but likely will not) in the group to select, but sometimes you need to fill gaping holes even if it's not BPA.

Nolrog
04-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Well, with no move to upgrade at Farrior spot, Hightower is the odds on favorite now. But I'm hearing that Poe may be there when we pick at 24.

Going to be very interesting.

Poe is dropping, and he should. He's one of those workout warriors that excels at the combines but has nothing game related to back him up. Those kinds of guys have a very spotted history in the NFL (and have made for some spectacular busts.) A guy like that, in ConferenceUSA should have been blowing people away and putting up great highlights, but he has very limited and poor game tape. As teams dig into him further, they start to see this and start dropping him again.

coldrolled
04-06-2012, 07:45 AM
but sometimes you need to fill gaping holes even if it's not BPA.

Wallace signed or traded for a 1st or 2 seconds, it is a good year for a trade.

K Train
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry K. Corner is not a huge need. Not even close to a huge need. We have no nose tackle right now (well McLendon, but let's get real). That's a huge need. We have no guard. That's a huge need. We have significant weakness at ILB. That's a need (though less huge than the previous two.) We have decent corners who played well last year (yes, one game not withstanding, they were the #1 passing D in the league.) That's not a huge need that we need to start spending a #1 and not filling the true needs.

This draft is going to be much like last year when we needed another DE, a tackle and a corner and they came out with Heyward, Gilbert, Brown and Allen.

I think you're point of having a pool of candidates to choose from, and yes maybe even a big time corner that could possible fall (but likely will not) in the group to select, but sometimes you need to fill gaping holes even if it's not BPA.
i dont have any faith in keenan lewis and i think cortez allen is the future at FS. That leaves an old ike taylor and a young curtis brown. I think lewis will be ok but even a stud corner would be on the bench a year or two in this scheme, why wait until it is a huge need if you have the chance to take a guy like minnifield or gilmore in round 2 and really solidfy the position. Carnell lake worked wonders with the dbs, but dont let the #1 ranking fool you corner and safety are both decently big needs

Poe is dropping, and he should. He's one of those workout warriors that excels at the combines but has nothing game related to back him up. Those kinds of guys have a very spotted history in the NFL (and have made for some spectacular busts.) A guy like that, in ConferenceUSA should have been blowing people away and putting up great highlights, but he has very limited and poor game tape. As teams dig into him further, they start to see this and start dropping him again.
poe is dropping? as he should? he hasnt done anything to hurt himself. classic over analyzing after everyone was drinking the koolaid after the combine. and hes one of those workout warriors huh? lik those studs JPP and Aldon smith who just looking like grown *** men on the field.

he would legit be AMAZING on our defense, id make evander play nose and have a rotation of keisel, poe, and heyward at DE....even that 4 man line would be unblockable

Nolrog
04-06-2012, 12:09 PM
poe is dropping? as he should? he hasnt done anything to hurt himself. classic over analyzing after everyone was drinking the koolaid after the combine. and hes one of those workout warriors huh? lik those studs JPP and Aldon smith who just looking like grown *** men on the field.

He hasn't done anything, I agree. However, his lack of game tape highlights is hurting him (that's well reported, not my assessment.) He played at Memphis, Conference USA and didn't even make all conference. If he was such an amazing player, shouldn't he have been blowing out the OL in that crappy conference? That's hurting him, and he's dropping because of it. Doesn't mean he'll drop down to us, but that is negating some of the massive numbers he put up at the combine.

As for JPP I believe he had more tape to back up his ranking than Poe.

K Train
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
He hasn't done anything, I agree. However, his lack of game tape highlights is hurting him (that's well reported, not my assessment.) He played at Memphis, Conference USA and didn't even make all conference. If he was such an amazing player, shouldn't he have been blowing out the OL in that crappy conference? That's hurting him, and he's dropping because of it. Doesn't mean he'll drop down to us, but that is negating some of the massive numbers he put up at the combine.

As for JPP I believe he had more tape to back up his ranking than Poe.
JPP had 12 games and 20 backflips lol

Seriously memphis was one of the least talented FBS teams in the nation, poe doesnt stick out because of that reason...he had no help. He turned down a lot of offers to go to memphis, it was a hell of a recruiting gem for them but he wasnt used how he will be used in the pros

MDSteel15
04-06-2012, 01:24 PM
JPP had 12 games and 20 backflips lol

Seriously memphis was one of the least talented FBS teams in the nation, poe doesnt stick out because of that reason...he had no help. He turned down a lot of offers to go to memphis, it was a hell of a recruiting gem for them but he wasnt used how he will be used in the pros

Train, let's hope that if he does fall to us and we take him that he turns out like another "workout warrior" named Vernon Davis! If you remember his workouts, he blew EVERYONE away! After some maturing, he is now a freaking beast....

Black@Gold Forever32
04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I rather have Hightower or a top OL then Poe.........

connecticutsteel
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Jerrel Powe spells his name Poe . He not the brightest bulb on the tree.

I agree with K-Train about Memphis. If he didn't turn down other offers from bigger schools he would have been coached better imagine if he went to LSU or BAMA holy@#$%.However i do think he will fall into the 12 to 25 range in the draft not a top ten pick .

SteelDad
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd be OK with Poe or Hightower. I am also a believer in 'you can never have enough corners.' I'm not suggesting we take one in the first by any means but I'll be shocked if we don't draft at least one or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

connecticutsteel
04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Patrick Peterson and prince were supposed the be stud corners and peterson didn't tighten up Arizona's defense at all . he's abetter punt returner than corner .I'm not saying he won't be agreat corner but NO ONE not even the great deion Sanders dominates out of the box

VMoss
04-06-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd be OK with Poe or Hightower. I am also a believer in 'you can never have enough corners.' I'm not suggesting we take one in the first by any means but I'll be shocked if we don't draft at least one or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I agree. We've been in need of a corner for a few years now and Ike can't do everything on his own. If we can get a speed corner with good height out of the first round i would be happy, but knowing us we might snag Poe or Hightower

coldrolled
04-06-2012, 04:42 PM
is anyone concerned about hightowers knee? Blown acl, mcl and miniscus? thats pretty bid. whats his longevity after that?

Nolrog
04-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree. We've been in need of a corner for a few years now and Ike can't do everything on his own.

We drafted corners 3 and 4 last year and 5 the year before. Last year we were the #1 rated pass defense in football (and in the top, if not at the top in giving up points). The corners held up quite well considering that the front 7 put so little pressure on the QB to help them out.

K Train
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Patrick Peterson and prince were supposed the be stud corners and peterson didn't tighten up Arizona's defense at all . he's abetter punt returner than corner .I'm not saying he won't be agreat corner but NO ONE not even the great deion Sanders dominates out of the box
peterson played pretty damn well once the season started. he had one really bad game against crabtree but was solid all year with no one across from him.

a great corner on a good defense goes a long way

Rollers
04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
His stock is beginning to drop a little. Tape doesn't match up with the combine workout. Not sure if he's the guy we want at number one or not. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Nolrog
04-07-2012, 06:27 AM

A great passrush with good corners goes further.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
peterson played pretty damn well once the season started. he had one really bad game against crabtree but was solid all year with no one across from him.

I was thinking the samething Train...Plus the Cards defense doesn't have the talent like the Steelers defense does....Peterson on the Steelers...OMG...I couldn't even imagine.......

K Train
04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
A great passrush with good corners goes further.

great pass rush....check

next step is getting the dominant corner

cbrunn
04-07-2012, 10:47 AM
our D don't do dominant corner because to be able to play corner for the steelers you need to be able to tackle ...and most of the cover corners don't tackle well enough ... but i honestly think that Cortez will be a pretty damn good corner when things are said and done

KemoTherapy
04-07-2012, 03:16 PM
My two cents on Poe. A great combine doesn't neccesarily translate onto the field. I've read that he can dominate for a half and then disappear for a half.Short arms as well and doesn't play with good pad level. He'll be gone b4 Steelers pick anyway. Would not be unhappy with Chapman in the 3rd round.

Nolrog
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
great pass rush....check

I guess you were watching a different Steeler team than I was last year. If there was anything great, it sure as hell wasn't the pass rush.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
The pass rush last year was terrible, no doubt about it. However a lack of a healthy Woodley for 2/3 of the season and Harrison missing multiple games didn't help much. If they were by some miracle able to land Poe he'd be a potential starter right away. Watching him fight it out with McLendon in camp would be fun but ultimately you'd be hard pressed to keep Poe out of the starting rotation for very long.

coldrolled
04-07-2012, 04:59 PM
I guess you were watching a different Steeler team than I was last year. If there was anything great, it sure as hell wasn't the pass rush.

Seriously, Non Existant... Harrison was in a headlock every play. Not many ILB Blitzes or Corner Blitzes either.

K Train
04-07-2012, 05:41 PM

that was different circumstances with worlids and timmons being primary pass rushers for a healthy portion of the year. woodley and harrison were so up and down and never on the field at the same time. the #1 pass d is nice and all but it doest tell the whole story. upgrading corner and gaining the normal pass rush back will go a long way. so no we werent wtaching different teams, do you consider no pass rush to be the norm or was it a fluke injury plagued year?

Nolrog
04-07-2012, 06:23 PM
do you consider no pass rush to be the norm or was it a fluke injury plagued year?

Now that's a very good question. There were injuries, no question and they hurt a lot (er, if you'll pardon that pun.)

Smith went down again, but now he's gone. Hampton wasn't his old self, and now he's gone too (well, injured for much, if not all of the season.) Those are the guys that need to set up the LBs to make the plays. Ziggy looks like he's an adequate replacement. But in the middle (at nose that is), there's nobody.

Should we take the chance that it was a fluke year for the defensive pressure and draft a corner? I don't think that's a smart move. The corners were not a problem (pass defense was highly rated.) But getting pressure was.

How many 3rd and longs did we see converted (far too many). And how many turn overs did we get (far too few). Those could be directly related to the lack of pressure. Put more pressure on the QB and he starts making mistakes, and we get less 3rd and longs converted and more TOs coming our way.

We need to ensure that's taken care of this year (the DLine, whether it's Poe that a lot of people love or someone else.) Because it's too important a position and next year we'll have other needs (which I forsee to be another Safety (Troy isn't getting any younger), another OLB (let's accept the fact that Worlids isn't the guy and move on) and depth on the OL.)

Does the depth in NTs and Gs in the draft allow us to do something else like draft a safety in the first round? Perhaps. But then we need to draft them in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and then ILB likely becomes a problem for next year.

BPA to an extent, but sometimes you gotta fill those gaping holes.

Njsteelersnut
04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Everything I have been hearing lately about Poe has not been good. The more teams that watch game film of him, the more his stock has dropped. Teams are not impressed with what they are seeing on film. With that being said he may drop to us at #24, but i would rather see an offensive lineman taken in the first round.

connecticutsteel
04-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Myron rolle, Keenan Lewis ,Curtis Brown ,Cortez Allen ,and Ike Taylor ARE ALL ON THE ROSTER i see no need for more corners

LevonKirkland99
04-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Ike Taylor? is that the one who couldnt cover the wire Receiver Bronco in OT?

Nolrog
04-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Ike Taylor? is that the one who couldnt cover the wire Receiver Bronco in OT?

Oh please. That was the scheme of LeBeau and not just Ike. There was no over the top help and the corners were left totally exposed. Not to mention zero pressure on the QB. To blame that on just one person is quite ignorant.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Myron rolle, Keenan Lewis ,Curtis Brown ,Cortez Allen ,and Ike Taylor ARE ALL ON THE ROSTER i see no need for more corners

Rolle isn't a corner.......he is a safety.....a real slow one at that.......rooting for him to make the team since he is a quality person but he is a long shot.....

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Oh please. That was the scheme of LeBeau and not just Ike. There was no over the top help and the corners were left totally exposed. Not to mention zero pressure on the QB. To blame that on just one person is quite ignorant.

This........The Old Man failed big time in that play-off loss.....When Tebow proved early he could beat LeBeau's man to man coverage with the deep ball....LeBeau should have switched to zone.....

ChucktownSteeler
04-08-2012, 03:55 PM
May have already posted this but my main concern on Poe is the level of competition he faced at Memphis. I think in our 3-4 scheme we have to have dominate LB corp and with Farrior gone I am sticking with Hightower.

Not saying we don't need a replacement for Hampton soon, but I think Hightower is the way to go. Learning curve should be short for him as well, playing in a similar 3-4 defensive scheme at Alabama. Plus, perhaps we could still "steal" Josh Chapman in round 3, or Baptiste round 5.

C-town

steelcityrockers
04-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Round 2:
Brandon Washington
Chase Minnifield
Kenechi Osemele
Vontaze Burfict
Alemeda Taamu
Jared Crick
Kevin Zeiteler
Stephen Gilmore

While I haven't been following the daft as closely as some years, last I heard Burfict was almost undraftable. He looked terrible in every off-season activity, right? You really think he is second round worthy?

ChucktownSteeler
04-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Everything I have heard or read Burfict is a total nut-case and should end up in Cinci or 'da Raiders. Has gotten into with for and team-mates alike.

I don't want him.

C-town

coldrolled
04-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Sign him and have Harrsion smash him into the ground a few times out back, and then coach him up.

K Train
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
While I haven't been following the daft as closely as some years, last I heard Burfict was almost undraftable. He looked terrible in every off-season activity, right? You really think he is second round worthy?

hes been free falling in my rankings, still draftable. 4th round grade for me right now

Nolrog
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
hes been free falling in my rankings, still draftable. 4th round grade for me right now

Is Burfict the guy who had the absolutely miserable combine and pro day and blamed everyone from his coaches to the media to Paris Hilton for his dismal showing (exaggerating a little there for comedic effect)

I think you're being kind there K. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes undrafted, and I could say pretty confidently that there's no way in heck that the Steelers go anywhere near him. The Rooney's don't want any part of a bad character worse attitude guy (who's much slower and much weaker than originally thought.)

K Train
04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Is Burfict the guy who had the absolutely miserable combine and pro day and blamed everyone from his coaches to the media to Paris Hilton for his dismal showing (exaggerating a little there for comedic effect)

I think you're being kind there K. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes undrafted, and I could say pretty confidently that there's no way in heck that the Steelers go anywhere near him. The Rooney's don't want any part of a bad character worse attitude guy.

i mean harrison isnt exactly the smartest, disciplined, stand up guy in the world and they gave him a historically large contract. The steelers arent choir boys, Bufict needs good coaching, hes bat **** crazy on the field and thats what i like in a MLB. I know he seemed to get flustered when being drilled by interviewers and it cost him millions but he can ball. He NEEDS coaching though, i do think hes talented enough to take a flyer on in 4 and beyond, i am biased though....he gave me chills the first time i watched him play its really a shame.

Keep in in perspective though how big of a dick harrison is, how dumb he is, how he always says the wrong things, and even porter was kinda like that....and on top of that hes not really a bad guy off the field, he just needs a lot of work, needs to stay in shape and that may be asking too much but it may not be too

ChucktownSteeler
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Harrison was an UDFA that we cut 3 or 4 times until he stuck. He even had a brief stay with the Ravens. If we get Burfict as an UDFA, then fine give him a chance. Other than that I steer clear. He's even had an locker-room altercation or two with his own teammates.

Too much risk for me (and hopefully the Steelers).

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
If Burfict was around as a UDFA we'd be crazy not to sign him. If he can get his head on straight he can still be dominant. Somebody will draft him in a later round though, he's worth that still IMO just on potential alone. If any locker room can be a good influence on a dude trying to find his way, it's the Steelers and their rich linebacker tradition.

Nolrog
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
he's worth that still IMO just on potential alone.

What potential though? His combine and pro days were both aweful; not just bad but horendous. Hell, even Poe ran faster than he did. Not to mention he's got a really terrible attitude.

K Train
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
What potential though? His combine and pro days were both aweful; not just bad but horendous. Hell, even Poe ran faster than he did. Not to mention he's got a really terrible attitude.

he was out of shape, which is a cause for concern....but to say what potential is madness, you must have never watched him play prior to this year if at all

Nolrog
04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
he was out of shape, which is a cause for concern....but to say what potential is madness, you must have never watched him play prior to this year if at all

If he was out of shape, that's a huge concern considering his pro-day (and the combine) would go a long way to determine his draft position. Gotta wonder about his mental state if he wasn't in tip top shape ready for that. And then to blame everyone but himself for his poor showing. Not a smart guy.

He's the anti-Poe. He's got a some flashy highlights and not much else (including strength, speed and brains). He strikes me as the guy who's going to quickly get caught using steroids trying to prove he belongs.

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I cant see him disrupting the Steelers.. He would be a good pick in the 4th if we went OL 1 NT 2 ol 3

K Train
04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
if the steelers take a flyer on him im not upset at all...whats the worst thing? he goes in the doghouse and gets cut? or we get a MLB with ray lewis potential. Sometimes a vet locker room can refocus guys like bufict. I dont think he wants to flop and fail as a football player it kind of is all he has going for him, sometimes people slip up it doesnt mean hes a lost cause

coldrolled
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
if the steelers take a flyer on him im not upset at all...whats the worst thing? he goes in the doghouse and gets cut? or we get a MLB with ray lewis potential. Sometimes a vet locker room can refocus guys like bufict. I dont think he wants to flop and fail as a football player it kind of is all he has going for him, sometimes people slip up it doesnt mean hes a lost cause

24th pick in the 4th. He may not be there.. Ravens may get him late in their 3rd.

Its a pipe dream for us... i think.. We need to help Ben and Haley early and often in this draft.

K Train
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
24th pick in the 4th. He may not be there.. Ravens may get him late in their 3rd.

Its a pipe dream for us... i think.. We need to help Ben and Haley early and often in this draft.

Honestly if we took hightower in 1 and bufict in 4 id be thrilled.

Not at all uncommon with them, timmons and woodley back to back, brown and allen back to back, lewis and burnett in the same draft...ect.

Some guys are worth the risk of taking, burfict is one. He will get a small salary and its not like our 4th-7th round picks are always guaranteed a roster spot. Id like to say i can comment on how the steelers feel about him, i honestly think it could go either way...them showing interest in the mid-late rounds or having him removed completely

steelcityrockers
04-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Fair enough, and that's more or less what I was thinking of him. If he is there on third day, I would have no problems. I feel like the Steelers would not take him for whatever reason, probably some ridiculous notion of drafting for character or something else retarded.

Nolrog
04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
probably some ridiculous notion of drafting for character or something else retarded.

Yes, how horrible of them to want players who aren't going to get themselves in trouble and embarass the organization. It's much better we have a team like the Cincinnati Felonies.

steelcityrockers
04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes, how horrible of them to want players who aren't going to get themselves in trouble and embarass the organization. It's much better we have a team like the Cincinnati Felonies.

At the very bottom of the draft, where you could very easily cut a player were they to step out of line, I have absolutely no problems drafting for talent over character concerns.

coldrolled
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Hes on the browns and ravens list too. So with the other 30 teams, he will be gone in the third round.