PDA

View Full Version : 2012 salary cap could be lower than expected:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Came across this from Florio over at PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/cap-could-be-lower-than-expected/)...

The new league year begins in two weeks. But the final unadjusted per-team salary cap number for 2012 have yet to be announced.

There’s talk in league circles that the number have been tabulated, and that the number is lower than expected.

The number had been expected to be $120 million or so per team. Though the rumor is unconfirmed, don’t be surprised if it’s lower.

That would hurt both the teams and the players. With less money per team to spend, there will be less money per player to receive.
The official numbers should be out soon. They’ll definitely be out by March 13 at 4:00 p.m., because that’s the moment at which all teams will have to be in compliance with the cap. Whatever the cap may be.

Take it for what it's worth right now, you never know with Florio but if it is lower than $120 million that'll mean even more cuts for the Steelers.

Real Deal Steel
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
This is one of those things that is pure speculation. Revenue was up last year so there is no reason to expect the cap to be lower at all. Worst case scenerio is it will be the same. And our front office has operated that it will be the same as last year. This is just Florio talking to be talking. he does that often.

steelersgal86
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
we do not need anymore cuts...I hope it is not lower

DIESELMAN
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
The league has given every team until 13 March to make their adjustments. No way the league tells the teams in the last minute the cap will be lower.

JollyRob68
02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
we do not need anymore cuts...I hope it is not lower

What? We haven't Cut/retired A.SMith or Hines yet. Plus cut Farrior or Foote. Pay cut Hampton if they're keeping him as well as Chris K.

cmerrifield
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
It cant be lower, the CBA said last year was 120 and this year cant be less.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Goodfrom55
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Considering Smith, Ward, Kemo, Farrior, Foote, and Hampton (yes I know Colbert wants him) are still on the roster and have not restructured, Steelers will be fine if they have to pull the trigger with these guys.

Number99
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
The league has given every team until 13 March to make their adjustments. No way the league tells the teams in the last minute the cap will be lower.

We are talking about a Roger Goodell led cartell.... and anything with that knucklehead can happen. (Enter Steeler Conspiricy comment here)

DIESELMAN
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
We are talking about a Roger Goodell led cartell.... and anything with that knucklehead can happen. (Enter Steeler Conspiricy comment here)

I hear ya but Goodell can't **** with the CBA no matter how bad he wants to.

CowherPower
02-29-2012, 10:09 AM

That would be a horrible situation to be in. All the work we did to get even with the cap then you'd need to do more restructures just to get back under again? That would be a stupid idea.

It's Florio so I rarely put stock in what he posts up until it comes from more than just him.

Nolrog
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Does the CBA allow the cap to be lowered? I'm sure the union would be upset, especially with the large jump coming soon.

coldrolled
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
As of Feb. 6, the Steelers were $22.5 million over the cap, according to NFL.com research. According to the Tribune Review, the team had cut about $34 million from the salary cap and created $23.6 million in cap space as of Feb. 15.