PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers trying to drive up the price tag on Wallace?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Is it possible that the Steelers are ultimately trying to trade Mike Wallace after all? Are they driving up the price tag by talking about how great he is?

I don't don't necessarily buy into that theory but I wouldn't discount it completely because in today's NFL you have to cover all the bases and if the team can benefit more by trading Wallace then why not?

I know we've talked about this extensively but it's a different angle that you might not have thought of.

Over the breadth of his first three NFL seasons, it's been difficult not to be impressed with Mike Wallace, most especially if you are Mike Wallace.

In a league reliably stockpiled with wideouts who are consistently taken with themselves, the Steelers' All Pro defers to few, if any, on the matter of self-worth, it seems to me, so it wasn't to buttress young Mike's confidence that Kevin Colbert happened to mention last week how much the club wanted to keep him around.

That would be utterly pointless, and among the many facets of his standout career at the top of the Steelers' personnel office is the hard truth that Colbert is not exactly in love with the sound of his own voice.

So what's with all the vocal valentines Colbert sent from Indianapolis last week? The "for sure we want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers ... we're going to do everything we can to keep Mike ... he's only scratched the surface of what he can do."
Might be nothing more than what is plain, but there is so much at work in the looming determination of Mike Wallace's immediate future that it's been hard to tell what's real this past week.

Colbert isn't in the least duplicitous by nature, but he's an expert survivalist in the dense forest of off-season politics, as is his top lieutenant, the brilliant capologist Omar Khan.

So when Colbert warbles noises that can sound from a distance like Mike Wallace is a blooming Jerry Rice and that the Steelers love him to death, it's not impossible that the Steelers are trying to drive the price of any offer sheet so high another team wouldn't come near Wallace with it. That way, if someone is callow or obtuse enough to break their bank for him, the Steelers would at worst come away with the knowledge that they've delivered unto some rival a major cap headache, not to mention adding a first-round draft choice in exchange for a player that is not exactly trending up at this point.

It'd be simpler for everybody if we knew where Wallace's career was going, but that's something about which there is no small uncertainty. Read the rest by Gene Collier from the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12057/1212758-150.stm?cmpid=collier.xml#ixzz1nam5GyYD)

LatrobePA
02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
They could live with out him and if a team is willing to toss a 1st this way I'd say they'd be silly not to jump on it...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
The Steelers aren't much of a team for posturing in these situations usually. If they say it, especially Colbert you can usually take it at face value to have merit.

Still though this is a big chance to get another top flight player in the 1st round, something you don't usually get with the Steelers.

strummerfan
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
They could live with out him and if a team is willing to toss a 1st this way I'd say they'd be silly not to jump on it...

I agree completely. I love Wallace's speed, but his tendency to body catch adn his average route running might not be worth breaking the bank over. A wr corps of Brown,Sanders,Cotchery isn't awful by any means and we could really benefit by having an extra pick in the 1st.

JollyRob68
02-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Trade to Philly for their two second round picks and a player.

Stone
02-27-2012, 12:18 PM

I agree. And if you're honest with yourself, Wallace became exposed as last season progressed. Nobody can dispute his speed and his ability to make circus catches........as long as he's behind everyone on defense.

connecticutsteel
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
they can't really live without him with there current running game Wallace takes the top off the defense forcing them to play pass with deep safety coverage without wallace they can play up and cover the run plus the pass

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Trade to Philly for their two second round picks and a player.

I like that Idea. But let's see if we can get someone to sign him to an offier sheet. Because I want the additional first round pick as the priority option. :smile:

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
I hate the offseason.....

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping like hell that the Chargers go after Wallace and sign him to an offer sheet. I want their first round pick.

Nolrog
02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
I hate the offseason.....

Totally agree. Here here. Well said.

Goodfrom55
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I didn't know you could trade a player was is not under contract. Is it possible because of his restricted status?

Wallace if nothing else draws the double coverage and that is why AB, Sanders, etc. get open as easily as they do. He is a valuable asset - for the right price, but I would not break the bank to keep him either.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
You can't trade a player that isn't under contract. Until they sign that restricted free agent tender, the franchise tag deal, or a long term contract they can't be traded.

coldrolled
02-28-2012, 08:18 AM
The Steelers aren't much of a team for posturing in these situations usually. If they say it, especially Colbert you can usually take it at face value to have merit.

Still though this is a big chance to get another top flight player in the 1st round, something you don't usually get with the Steelers.

Here is our 5th round speed trade last time around.. note from the jets today.

The team paid wide receiver Santonio Holmes earlier this month, unwilling to take the cap hit that would come with cutting a player labeled as a "cancer" by a teammate.

Wallace is worth the a 1st. But we will keep him more than likely.. i would rather see 2 of these this year Konz/glenn/poe/higtower

LatrobePA
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
The Rams are set to trade away from the #2 pick setting them up into the mid 1st, do they target Wallace??

Real Deal Steel
02-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Let's put it this way, If your the Rams, It's clear you've got to add weapons for Bradford. I"m sorry but I'm not sold on Blackmon. He's Anquin Boldin at best all over again. And I don't think much of Boldin because wide receivers who are physical with average speed have a short shelf life. As you can see, Boldin is done now by all accounts. Wallace is a better wide receiver then Blackmon and if the Rams have intentions on their first pick being a wide receiver, who'd you choose? Wallace or Blackmon?

Blackmon is so slow that he was afraid to run in the combine so everyone could see how slow he was. What does that tell you?

JollyRob68
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
The Rams are set to trade away from the #2 pick setting them up into the mid 1st, do they target Wallace??

I think they'd trade it to Philly for 1st,Asante & Jackson