PDA

View Full Version : Hightower met with the Steelers at the combine

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2012, 02:01 AM
Inside Linebacker prospect Dont'a Hightower was scheduled to meet with Steelers representatives at the Scouting Combine on Saturday night. According to a tweet from Ken Laird at the Pittsburgh Trib: Hightower: "Talked to a couple of [Steelers] scouts since I’ve been here, they’re interested in me, looking fwd to talking to coach Tomlin".

One of the potential first round picks the Steelers have available to them. Although one knock against him is what he said about players he looks up to in the NFL.

Hightower listed as the guys he looks up to in NFL "Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley." In that order. Hmm.

Ok that's it, forget about him now...LOL j/k

It's not a surprise that he met with the Steelers, they do their homework on everyone but it's nice to hear that at least he feels they are interested in him.

jnes1216
02-26-2012, 03:55 AM
He would be a great pickup for sure, but I would rather see an off. lineman drafted in this slot if the players fall right. He is definitely a run stuffer where Timmons is more suited to defending the pass. If he was drafted, I would like to see Farrior and Foote cut. I loved Farrior and thought he did a great job, but some new talent is needed. I would risk a Sylvester/Timmons inside lineup. Then see if the rookie can crack the lineup.

coldrolled
02-26-2012, 08:23 AM
This is where an over bid Wallace and a extra #1 comes in.

It wont happen, Steelers pay it. So the steelers could go.. ILB 1st ot/guard #2 NT #3 S #4 RB #5 g #6 K #7 FA - Carl Nicks - OG New Orleans

Do we have a S in one of our CB's already? In reality our ILB spot is the most broke. NT and ILB in a DL 34 are super important.

Nolrog
02-26-2012, 09:15 AM
So the steelers could go.. ILB 1st ot/guard #2 NT #3 S #4 RB #5 g #6 K #7 FA - Carl Nicks - OG New Orleans

If Poe is available, they'll pick him first. He is far more talented than the other NTs in the draft (even though that would be the third #1 on the DLine in the last 4 years). If he's not available then it would get interesting.

connecticutsteel
02-26-2012, 10:06 AM
This is where an over bid Wallace and a extra #1 comes in.

It wont happen, Steelers pay it. So the steelers could go.. ILB 1st ot/guard #2 NT #3 S #4 RB #5 g #6 K #7 FA - Carl Nicks - OG New Orleans

Do we have a S in one of our CB's already? In reality our ILB spot is the most broke. NT and ILB in a DL 34 are super important.

Wallace will be franchised if they can't sign him .the bidding war for wallace is over .

HUNT4SEVEN
02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Depending on how the draft goes i'm ok with ILB Hightower/Burfict unless it's a bad *** guard or Konz C/G is on the board when we pick, this draft is DEEP with good guards, we only need 1 LG, Foster is serviceable we need to get rid of Legs and Kemo IMO, we also need a intelligent ILB to replace Farrior since this will be his last season with us cause Foote counts more against the cap than Farrior does, man i can't wait to see who we draft...

Nolrog
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
this draft is DEEP with good guards, we only need 1 LG, Foster is serviceable we need to get rid of Legs and Kemo IMO,

Agree with your needs.

The Steelers are really poor on the OL, especially at guard position, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a couple. Legs will be back because we don't have another back-up for center. He's an OK back up and he's cheap.

Kemo needs to go because he's not great, he costs a lot and he's good for 1 if not 2 drive killing personal fouls a game.

I still say that they should free up enough money to sign a solid guard or solid MILB and then not worry about that one so much high in the draft this year.

We really need 3 starters, NT, G and MILB (MILB can start out behind Farrior but needs to at the very least, split time.)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2012, 10:52 AM
It would be hard for me to argue against Hightower being a Steeler this year. The dude could, in theory, step in right away and take over opposite Timmons.

Fortunately there are some good Guards in this draft so even if they wait to take one till round 2 they could make a splash. I just hate the thought of waiting any longer than that even if they were to take Poe or Hightower.

I agree this is where that extra pick for Wallace would be SOOOO helpful..but it won't happen now.

JollyRob68
02-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Wallace will be franchised if they can't sign him .the bidding war for wallace is over .

He's not worth $9+ mil a Year. Sorry. I'd take the extra one and Fix our lines & ILB.
Also I don't think there's a bidding war, it's all hype. We'll keep him for RFA $2.7Mil tender and then long term him at around $5 mil because no one else went after him... I hope JAgs,Miami,Philly or Chicago go after him.

coach
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
IMO, the tag (9.5 mill) on Wallace is too high with all our other needs (and we are still over the cap) and if we make the run game a more important part of the offense. I would like the extra pick. If we can manage to snag Poe in the first and with the extra pick grab an ILB and OLG, that would be awesome upgrades.

CowherPower
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Tomlin isn't afraid to take linebackers early even in the midst of offensive line problems and defensive line needs. I'd be excited if Hightower came to Pittsburgh; it immediately upgrades the middle from a youth and speed standpoint. You can't discount the importance of speed in the middle especially with the tight end and short passing game so hip these days.

Nolrog
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Tomlin isn't afraid to take linebackers early even in the midst of offensive line problems and defensive line needs.

I would say that MILB is also a position of need. Perhaps not as great as G or NT but it's right up there. For all the reasons you mentioned, plus the fact that Farrior is pretty much finished.

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2012, 12:47 AM
IMO, the tag (9.5 mill) on Wallace is too high with all our other needs (and we are still over the cap) and if we make the run game a more important part of the offense. I would like the extra pick. If we can manage to snag Poe in the first and with the extra pick grab an ILB and OLG, that would be awesome upgrades.

I love Wallace but I"m going to go on record too as wanting to let him go and to get that additional first round pick.

coldrolled
02-27-2012, 07:07 AM
I would say that MILB is also a position of need. Perhaps not as great as G or NT but it's right up there. For all the reasons you mentioned, plus the fact that Farrior is pretty much finished.

the top ilb in the 1st is better. a good guard is still there in the #2 rd spot. we need a seymour type trade to keep up in the AFCN with youth.

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
If you think that Tomlin is going to take Hightower over Poe, then I"ve got some swamp land to sell you in the Arizona desert. Hahahahaha

Only way Hightower gets taken is if the O-lineman that we want or Poe are gone.

coldrolled
02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
If you think that Tomlin is going to take Hightower over Poe, then I"ve got some swamp land to sell you in the Arizona desert. Hahahahaha

Only way Hightower gets taken is if the O-lineman that we want or Poe are gone.

Poe wont be there at 24

Konz and hightower maybe

Goodfrom55
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Great talent, probably an immediate contributor, but I have to agre that the O-line MUST COME FIRST. Enough of grabbing 5th and 6th round lineman and expecting to be the next John Hannah. My only exception to this is if Poe is available - can't pass him up.

coldrolled
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Great talent, probably an immediate contributor, but I have to agre that the O-line MUST COME FIRST. Enough of grabbing 5th and 6th round lineman and expecting to be the next John Hannah. My only exception to this is if Poe is available - can't pass him up.

im with you on this idea, but arians ran the offense and we looked ok. right? So Haley and a 2nd round Guard should do real good for the O.

if we get 2 1st round picks late 24 and something.. i would go ILB and S because DL is the best coach and we were looking old... Poe will be gone early.

then get 2 guard/OT #2 and #3 rounds or go FA for a good OL player...

defense wins championships and we need a good defense. Our offense can only get better right now.

Number99
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
did anyone see Burfict's 40 time? 5.09 ????????? Who here thinks thats his real speed or is he hurt? or laying up?

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I don't think Poe is going to be gone that early. Only team I see maybe taking his is the Chargers and their not that bright. But if Poe IS gone then their going to take the O-lineman. Don't over think the room.

Nolrog
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Bottom line here. If Poe is there, they take him. His talent over the 2nd best NT is huge. Far greater than the gap between the LBs or Gs.

Goodfrom55
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
A solid NT will make the MLB's that much better. They had an off year because KC had an off year at NT.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Don't get too excited about Hightower just yet folks, he met with about 2 dozen teams during his time at the combine. The Steelers have interest but so do a ton of other people. I personally would love to have him, he'd be a beast right out of the gate.

I will say his combine workout he looked a bit stiff, and Jim Wexell thought so as well (we talked on the podcast with him). Certainly not enough to scare anybody off necessarily but it appears he could have done a bit better.