PDA

View Full Version : Redman & McLendon tendered contracts as exclusive rights free agents

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Scott Brown of the Trib reports that the Steelers tendered contracts to their exclusive rights free agents Isaac Redman and Steve McLendon.

An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.

Keeping these types of a free agents is generally not a problem because they can't go anywhere else. Either they take your deal or leave the league.

In the case of players like Redman and McLendon who figure to be in the long term plans of the team you'd like to get them signed to a 3 yr. deal(the steelers usually do 3 yr. deals when possible) before they hit restricted free agency. Even if you can't do so you would still have the right to match any offer they'd get the following year.

Mean Linebacker
02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
They are in a bit of a tough position with Redman. Giving him his tender offer is a no brainer but do you bank on him long term and try to sign him to a 3-5 yr. deal or do you wait until next year and see what happens?

If Redman has a great year then maybe you cut ties with Mendenhall but Redman may want a ton more money at that time too if you only sign him to a 1 yr. deal.

TampaSteelGirl
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I think we need REdman long term..he only gets better! he deserves it!

jpele
02-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I think they'll wait and see how Dwyer and Clay develop before they talk long term with Redman

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
If Redman plays well, you could be seeing the end of Mendenhall. He's an unrestricted free agent after 2012 and there's no guarantee he'll play a significant role in this upcoming season. You can't justify giving him a long deal if Redman has a great year next year. Even more so if Dwyer shows up big and Batch too.

CowherPower
02-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I would think they'll get him signed to his tender offer and then before training camp, after the bulk of the other contracts are done they would get him locked into a 3 yr. deal. That seems to be the norm with them.

I have all the confidence in the world in Redman to carry the load and muzzle the critics out there.

JollyRob68
02-25-2012, 05:01 PM
With him being an exclusive rights player. He takes what he's offered. Next year he's restricted. Can't wait to see what he can do with the handcuffs off.