PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's deal restructured; Steelers should be nearly even on the salary cap

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Bouchette reported this afternoon that the Steelers have restructured Ben's deal to free up space and with that they will be just about in compliance if not definitely so for 2012. We don't know the numbers for sure but Ben's cap number for 2012 was scheduled to be about $11.6 million so if you figure they were able to reduce a good portion of that into a signing bonus you can see where the significant savings would be available. At this point reports are that it's about $8 million in savings.

We still don't know what the actual salary cap number will be for 2012 yet, that won't be released until the first week in March most likely. Until then it's all speculation just how far over the team was to start the offseason. It won't be much of an incease over the $120 million that they are using as a guideline now but every little bit helps.

So far they've been able to save: (http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib)
$8 million - Roethlisberger
$6.56 million - Woodley
$5.14 million - Timmons
$3.28 million - Taylor
$2.85 million - Colon
$3.537 million - cutting McFadden & Battle

Remember that more cuts are likely coming but we don't know any specifics yet as to whom or when.

Number99
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
As if we didnt see this coming....but still good news. This should all but kill the "If Wallace isn't signed..." talk

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
As if we didnt see this coming....but still good news. This should all but kill the "If Wallace isn't signed..." talk

True, but it is always good to have a plan "B". They should have even more room once Harrison restructures his contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Things sure change in a heartbeat. We all knew that there would be another flurry of restructures and/or news coming out but not until after the combine. I can't remember a combine recently where there was so much information on during media day by the Steelers.

DIESELMAN
02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Business as usual for the Steelers. They know what they're doing and why they're doing it. There never has been any panic from the FO, no drastic cuts to get under the cap. It's all been planned out and that's another reason the Steelers have been successful for so long.

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Agreed on all points, Steelers would get it done. However, they must still shed some dead weight and I just don't know how they expect big snack to come back next year in any type of playing shape. I have my doubts, seeing how huge he is now.

JensK
02-23-2012, 06:51 PM
They can restructure both Harrison and Polamalu as well which we free up a shitton of space. I doubt they'd touch Harrisons though as he is getting up there.

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Harrison, through his agent, said he would be willing to restructure his deal. For the most part, these guys will get paid one way or another.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
which means Mike Wallace will remain a Steeler.....Ben isn't stupid even if there is some in our fan base that think he is.....lol Ben still gets his money and keeps his number 1 WR.......I'm sure Ben is tired of seeing his number 1 WR leave throughout the years via free agency or trade......Yes he always had Ward but losing Plax and then Holmes were big blows to Big Ben......Ben knows keeping YMC together as long as he can is a smart move.........

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Business as usual for the Steelers. They know what they're doing and why they're doing it. There never has been any panic from the FO, no drastic cuts to get under the cap. It's all been planned out and that's another reason the Steelers have been successful for so long.

Now that we are cap compliant, I've got to keep asking:

Why sign Wallace when we could add Dwayne Bowe?? If you look at what we have, Bowe is exactly what we need in the red zone.

steelersgal86
02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
which means Mike Wallace will remain a Steeler.....Ben isn't stupid even if there is some in our fan base that think he is.....lol Ben still gets his money and keeps his number 1 WR.......I'm sure Ben is tired of seeing his number 1 WR leave throughout the years via free agency or trade......Yes he always had Ward but losing Plax and then Holmes were big blows to Big Ben......Ben knows keeping YMC together as long as he can is a smart move.........

I agree....I think it is a smart move and hope we can keep wallace

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
The timing of this restructure is pretty interesting, almost comical considering the offseason that Ben has had. Arians leaves, Ben doesn't talk to Haley for weeks. Then they finally meet and within days Wallace goes on the radio saying he is willing to go elsewhere and suddenly Ben's agent restructures the deal with the team. At this point they are going to be able to tag Wallace for sure if they want, if not maybe even get him signed before free agency starts.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Now that they have the ability to sign Wallace, let's see if they do or do they look at the landscape first before they act. Just saying.

I'd be real curious on how much better Wallace could be if Haley worked with him. Because Haley was with Fitzgerald and Boldin.

Goodfrom55
02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Unless the Steelers franchise Wallace, I don't expect him to sign a new deal anytime soon. He will certainly see what the market offers him and go from there.

Mean Linebacker
02-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Now that they have the ability to sign Wallace, let's see if they do or do they look at the landscape first before they act. Just saying.

I'd be real curious on how much better Wallace could be if Haley worked with him. Because Haley was with Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I think it's pretty much a done deal right now that Wallace will be back in Pittsburgh next year. They still have over 2 weeks before free agency starts and everything they do now to free up money gets them closer to tagging Wallace if the need it. I'm sure Omar is talking to his agent and it wouldn't surprise me to see them put something down so it's ready to go as soon as the money is freed up.

I will say it was nice dreaming of having 2 draft picks in the first round.